Why are people upset with Rob?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ah, so now we have Earvin "Scapegoat" Johnson. Everything bad was 100% on him, but now we have the Pros from Dover in charge.

S.C.A.P.E. G.O.A.T Johnson. Has a nice ring to it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ah, so now we have Earvin "Scapegoat" Johnson. Everything bad was 100% on him, but now we have the Pros from Dover in charge.

If Magic was 100% responsible, 100% of our problems are gone!

Just like 100% of our problems were gone when we got rid of Jim.

So now 200% of our problems are gone. Future is bright.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:
Magic was at the front of explaining most of the decisions, including Dlo trade, not getting shooters, the AD trade. So i say most of it was his idea. Rob mostly discussed have "cap flexibility" Magic was always on the "imma get another superstar, Ha Ha Ha" approach

Listening to Magic speak about the whole process he was always saying I, me, and my. I built this team, I watched the playoffs etc. It was very off putting in real time and it rubbed me the wrong way. So yes I will attribute the majority of the blame to him.

Love me some Magic J. and will always have respect for him as a player

Having said that....I think this is REALLY getting overthought.....the fact is Magic had a certain idea of what he should be doing in his job and he simply was not committed to it....which ended up causing a problem in the end.

Do I want Jeanie and Pelinka making basketball decisions? I dont think I do would really like to see them get a basketball guy to do the position Magic was holding........but I will say they bring in Lue you are bringing in a good coach who knows how to win IF he has the groceries to put together the mean.......plus the familiarity with Lebron.

What happened happened....time to move on
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

Pelinka was supposedly putting in like 80-90% of the work, but now this is all Magic's fault. I'm getting flashbacks to the days of all our bad moves were Jim's fault and all of our good moves were due to Mitch's genius.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If Magic was 100% responsible, 100% of our problems are gone!

Just like 100% of our problems were gone when we got rid of Jim.

So now 200% of our problems are gone. Future is bright.

I can see clearly now the rain is gone.
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun (Yue) shiny day!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

things have been in the crapper since Magic left. The coach search has been a joke. We are the freaken Lakers with Lebron, max cap space, young pieces, and a lotto pick yet the best we can bring to the table for coach interviews was Lue and Monty????
And I honestly would have Magic back any day of the week if the alternative is the Jeanie+Linda+Rambis brain trust basically calling basketball operations shots.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
things have been in the crapper since Magic left. The coach search has been a joke. We are the freaken Lakers with Lebron, max cap space, young pieces, and a lotto pick yet the best we can bring to the table for coach interviews was Lue and Monty????
And I honestly would have Magic back any day of the week if the alternative is the Jeanie+Linda+Rambis brain trust basically calling basketball operations shots.

Who should we have interviewed that would be better than Lue?
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
So everything bad was Magic but you are all for moving forward using Magic’s plan?

Pretty sure "Magic's plan" is the same "plan" literally any and every person would assume the Lakers would try to pull off.

"Magic's plan" was no different than Jim and Mitch's plans over the years - i.e. sign 2 max players. Except Jim and Mitch wouldn't have salary dumped Russell thus handicapping their ability to trade for max player # 2.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Spoelstra? We couldn't even ask for permission to interview?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

And why would Miami allow for that? He's under contract.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Why would the Heat allow that and why would he be a better choice than Lue?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

LOL
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Like no team in the history of sports has ever asked another team to interview their coach about a vacancy.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Why would the Heat allow that and why would he be a better choice than Lue?

Lue had a nervous breakdown in Cleveland. How is he going to handle L.A.? Spoelstra has proven himself to still be a decent coach even with mediocre-to-bad talent. Lue hasn't proven himself capable of getting anything done without an overpowered team in a really weakened conference. Cleveland didn't want to even give Lue a shot to coach their team on a rebuild.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Like no team in the history of sports has ever asked another team to interview their coach about a vacancy.

What would be your limit on compensation to Miami?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

But why would Miami do that? You're missing my question.

You're talking about the Lakers, and not answering why Miami would say, "ok, sure take our best asset."
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

You're talking about the Lakers, and not answering why Miami would say, "ok, sure take our best asset."

I never said Miami would allow it, I just said we didn't even make an attempt. Miami isn't going anywhere for a while. Spoelstra might want to come to L.A. for a chance to possibly contend again as opposed to being stuck on a mediocrity treadmill in Miami. Maybe we could offer them something that would make them part with him. If you don't ask, you'll never know.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I never said Miami would allow it, I just said we didn't even make an attempt. Miami isn't going anywhere for a while. Spoelstra might want to come to L.A. for a chance to possibly contend again as opposed to being stuck on a mediocrity treadmill in Miami. Maybe we could offer them something that would make them part with him. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

But that's the point. First, none of us know if they did/didn't. Second, since we all agree it's a super longshot/unlikely, why are we upset about it?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

But that's the point. First, none of us know if they did/didn't. Second, since we all agree it's a super longshot/unlikely, why are we upset about it?

Took the words out of my mouth
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
First, none of us know if they did/didn't. Second, since we all agree it's a super longshot/unlikely, why are we upset about it?

If we did, it would be all over the news. And who said anyone was upset? I'm just saying that we shouldn't act like there was nothing better than Lue out there. I'd take Stan Van over Lue.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
First, none of us know if they did/didn't. Second, since we all agree it's a super longshot/unlikely, why are we upset about it?

If we did, it would be all over the news. And who said anyone was upset? I'm just saying that we shouldn't act like there was nothing better than Lue out there. I'd take Stan Van over Lue.

You sound like you're upset about something we don't know and something that was futile to begin with. If you're Miami, are you seriously going to let Spo out to join the Lakers and LBJ of all people? Of course not.

SVG? What makes him any better than Lue. And I don't think SVG/LBJ is a good pairing. I can see a tragic end to that pairing. At least LBJ/Lue won a ring together.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: It was Magic not Rob

BlackStarMamba wrote:
Lakers are better off now. I think after everything -- we see that Magic wasn't doing a good job and Rob is okay.
Ever since Magic has been out, less things has leaked to the media.

Magic ultimate plan was bringing 2 superstars, instead of building a team. I believe Rob is more clinical and thoughtful when it comes team building.

Magic is the one that wanted "tough-minded" players like Beasley, Rondo, Mcgee citing "you can't outscore the warriors" instead of getting shooters

He's the one orchestrating trading the entire team for AD, given he had to fly in and tell the players "youre' not babies." During that process we heard reports team were simply talking to Magic

Magic wasn't around much prioritizing the job as POBO - which I dont blame him given all his other businesses.

Though Rob got heat during the 1st week, things have died down and some reports that people in the league respect him. He is described at meticulous and a tough worker.

Zo and Brons reaction to Magic stepping down when they discussed it on the SHOP was telling

I'm all for moving forward with Rob and Lue, keeping Zo, Kuz, Lebron, BI and adding another guy.

Yup, ever since Magic's left, we haven't lost a game.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Assistant coaches, yes. Head coaches, I can't think of one off the top of my head. I can't remember a head coach interviewing with other teams while still under contract, in any sport.

You?

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon May 06, 2019 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Car54 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
So everything bad was Magic but you are all for moving forward using Magic’s plan?

How is it Magic’s plan? Jim and Mitch had the same plan to get two stars. I’m not sure how that’s an original idea that you can tie it to magic.

And they realized that plan wasn’t feasible and adjusted their focus and decided to try to build a team instead. They wasted 2-3 years and now this FO has wasted a couple of more. Still with no team.

They realized their plan wasn't feasible so they went and signed the two worst contracts in Lakers history? Is that the model you want Rob to follow?

If he decides to build a team and ends the failing cycle of one year mercenary players
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Assistant coaches, yes. Head coaches, I can't think of one off the top of my head. I can't remember a head coach interviewing with other teams while still under contract, in any sport.

You?

Harbaugh
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10
Jump to: