Gilette ad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
I dont know why anyone still buys Gillette razors or shavers. There's many better and cheaper alternatives out there. I haven't bought Gillette in yearssss

Overpriced razors....plus they sponsor the Patriots....
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
I dont know why anyone still buys Gillette razors or shavers. There's many better and cheaper alternatives out there. I haven't bought Gillette in yearssss

Overpriced razors....plus they sponsor the Patriots....

Yeah. Only reason I USED to buy them, was because it's what I had had since I was a teenager.

I'm on DSC now anyway. And I really don't care about a company's advertising. They can put a boys should be girls ad out and I'd still buy from DSC as long as the I'm happy with what I am getting for the price.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Maybe men SHOULD stop acting that way?

The ad is neither offensive nor stupid giving the current climate of things.

What about the 99% of the men that DON'T act that way to begin with? Is the ad targeting them? Or just the 1% that acts that way?

Is this an ad for Bill Cosby? Harvey Weinstein? Kevin Spacey? If they didn't do what they did, would Gillette have made this ad?

Because they were sexual predators, now we all have to watch an ad lecturing us not to be sexual predators/perverts?

There are a million shades of grey between being a sexual predator and a person who truly appreciates what women have had to endure over the course of history at the hands of men. Encouraging people to raise their level of self-awareness, empathy and improving their behavior should be something we all strive for.

Exactly. And it's not "aimed" at the sexual predators. It's purpose is to remind people that the societal attitudes that downplay the significance of the behavior ("boys will be boys" etc.) are an issue that needs to be left behind.

And if there is anyone who doesn't see that as still an issue has had their head bury deep in the sand (or elsewhere) the last couple of years.

Anyone who can't see the difference in "boys will be boys" referring to two boys wrestling versus committing rape is the one with their head in the sand.

Dude, wtf are you even talking about? Once again you get so intent on trying to be some sort of contrarian that you become a ridiculous mess of nonsense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

What about the 99% of the men that DON'T act that way to begin with? Is the ad targeting them? Or just the 1% that acts that way?

Is this an ad for Bill Cosby? Harvey Weinstein? Kevin Spacey? If they didn't do what they did, would Gillette have made this ad?

Because they were sexual predators, now we all have to watch an ad lecturing us not to be sexual predators/perverts?

There are a million shades of grey between being a sexual predator and a person who truly appreciates what women have had to endure over the course of history at the hands of men. Encouraging people to raise their level of self-awareness, empathy and improving their behavior should be something we all strive for.

Exactly. And it's not "aimed" at the sexual predators. It's purpose is to remind people that the societal attitudes that downplay the significance of the behavior ("boys will be boys" etc.) are an issue that needs to be left behind.

And if there is anyone who doesn't see that as still an issue has had their head bury deep in the sand (or elsewhere) the last couple of years.

Anyone who can't see the difference in "boys will be boys" referring to two boys wrestling versus committing rape is the one with their head in the sand.

Dude, wtf are you even talking about? Once again you get so intent on trying to be some sort of contrarian that you become a ridiculous mess of nonsense.

A talented Polite Troll can at least put a little more creativity into their straw men. Not his best work.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

In the ad, they showed two boys wrestling and then the father said "Boys will be boys". Just after to that, they showed a news anchor talking about sexual assault. Two very different things.

But this is a common tactic utilized by extremists. Lump things that we all agree we don't want, in with things that are questionable and present a false choice.

Then, when someone has an issue with the questionable item, you can accuse them of being the very thing we don't want.

Let's denounce racism and the fact that you shall no longer speak on this board -- wait, you won't denounce racism?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

In the ad, they showed two boys wrestling and then the father said "Boys will be boys". Just after to that, they showed a news anchor talking about sexual assault. Two very different things.

But this is a common tactic utilized by extremists. Lump things that we all agree we don't want, in with things that are questionable and present a false choice.

Then, when someone has an issue with the questionable item, you can accuse them of being the very thing we don't want.

Let's denounce racism and the fact that you shall no longer speak on this board -- wait, you won't denounce racism?

You are way too smart for this (bleep). This makes what you're doing actually worse than what trolls do for laughs.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Sure, so why only men though? Why not raise awareness for men and women? Gillette didn't feel that women needed to raise their level of self-awareness, empathy and improving their behavior? Women shouldn't strive for that either?

Women are good on that front? There's no positive message that could be sent to women as well? Only men need this positive encouragement?

And how come it's coming out now? Because of some negative stuff that SOME men did? So everytime SOME men do negative stuff, Gillette's going to send out a message to ALL men reminding them to not do the bad stuff that SOME men do?

Give me a break. You're being obtuse. Why me? Why me? Why aren't you saying anything to them? You sound like child deflecting.

Your unwillingness to acknowledge the problem is a large part of the problem.

Last edited by Heartburn on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

If you arent one of those "men" it should not affect you in the least bit. In fact you should be happy that a positive message is being sent. Talk about being a snowflake. Like I said are we at a point in society now where we are criticizing a positive message?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

You are way too smart for this (bleep). This makes what you're doing actually worse than what trolls do for laughs.

There is nothing diffierent about this group man.

Any time you associate negative things to a group, you're going to get backlash and it won't only be from people guilty of doing those negative things.

I'm not offended by it. I found it more comical than anything but I'm in this business so I know what they're doing. I'm more explaining why the ad is getting all this backlash and why the backlash isn't only coming from people stuck in the 1920s.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
If you arent one of those "men" it should not affect you in the least bit. In fact you should be happy that a positive message is being sent. Talk about being a snowflake. Like I said are we at a point in society now where we are criticizing a positive message?

What if you're a man who thinks it's ok to let his boys wrestle a little?

Is he a bad father?

Because THAT is in the ad right after sexual assault. LOL. People are going to take issue with that man. Whether we agree with it or not.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Is he a bad father?

Because THAT is in the ad right after sexual assault. LOL. People are going to take issue with that man. Whether we agree with it or not.

You know damn well what the message of that was. "Boys will be boys" "locker room talk" "they're just kids". Maybe its not best imagery to get the point they were trying to get across but most people know what point they were trying to get across. The funniest thing about this thread is I don't think anyone has ever changed your mind and I don't think anyone ever will but yet people like DMR put in way too much effort.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Is he a bad father?

You know damn well what the message of that was. "Boys will be boys" "locker room talk" "they're just kids". Maybe its not best imagery to get the point they were trying to get across but most people know what point they were trying to get across. The funniest thing about this thread is I don't think anyone has ever changed your mind and I don't think anyone ever will but yet people like DMR put in way too much effort.

Of course I know what the message was. I'm in this business I know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it.

We're not talking about my feelings. I already told you, I found it comical.

I'm talking about those who were offended by the ad and explaining WHY they are offended with it. You don't have to share their sentiments.

I do agree with you that the execution was poor and that is a huge part of communicating a message.

In fact, within the ad industry, there's been mostly applause for the intent but more of a negative on the execution.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Sure, so why only men though? Why not raise awareness for men and women? Gillette didn't feel that women needed to raise their level of self-awareness, empathy and improving their behavior? Women shouldn't strive for that either?

Women are good on that front? There's no positive message that could be sent to women as well? Only men need this positive encouragement?

And how come it's coming out now? Because of some negative stuff that SOME men did? So everytime SOME men do negative stuff, Gillette's going to send out a message to ALL men reminding them to not do the bad stuff that SOME men do?

Give me a break. You're being obtuse. Why me? Why me? Why aren't you saying anything to them? You sound like child deflecting.

Ok, so now I'm a part of the problem. Gotcha.

So, we've gone from this being a "positive" message to now finger pointing.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Also, regarding the backlash ... some early insights.

The Gillette Ad positive reaction is HALF that of the negative reaction.

The Nike Kaep Ad positive reaction is SEVEN times that of the negative reaction.

Just to give you a sense that it's not just a bunch of MAGAs sitting around disliking all the hot new woke stuff.

Last edited by ringfinger on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

See my previous post.

"If you don't agree with me then you are __________."

Apparently, it's impossible for a lot of folks to comprehend you can do two things at once such as denounce bad behaviors and not think a particular short film was any good.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

It always goes back to society. Some men do some bad things = blame society.

If Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey - if they don't do what they do, there would be no ads. That's a fact.

They do what they do, now we have ads giving all men "positive reinforcement."

Same thing in the NFL. Ray Rice beats up his wife, other NFL players arrested/charged with domestic abuse/violence and the NFL decides to make ads reminding the fans that domestic abuse/violence is not ok.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

You're smart enough to know that you're purposely missing the point. Enjoy your position. I'm not going to waste any more of my time.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

You're smart enough to know that you're purposely missing the point. Enjoy your position. I'm not going to waste any more of my time.

Let me ask you this, has YOUR awareness been raised by this ad?

The thing I don't get is why limit this ad to only 1/2 the population? If this is such a great message, why not target every single person that watches the ads?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

The thing I don't get is why limit this ad to only 1/2 the population? If this is such a great message, why not target every single person that watches the ads?

Because there are no female Brett Kavanaughs or Donald Trumps that can change the course of a nation.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Because there are no female Brett Kavanaughs or Donald Trumps that can change the course of a nation.

So you're saying there are NO FEMALES in this world that can benefit from this message?

One of the topics covered was "boys will be boys"?

You know how many single mothers are out there raising boys? Shouldn't at least the single mothers be a target of this ad?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Look, outside of the obvious goal to drive razor sales, they probably had good intentions, it's just the execution that was off. A lot of people in the advertising industry are feeling this way as well.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm tapping out. Its (bleep) borderline crazy you're losing your (bleep) over this.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Maybe P&G can make their next commercial about why using child labor and price fixing is bad
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
I'm tapping out. Its (bleep) borderline crazy you're losing your (bleep) over this.

One last question - would you approve of Lakersground.net sticky-ing a thread on the main page reminding everyone that it's not ok to be a sexual predator?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

One last question - would you approve of Lakersground.net sticky-ing a thread on the main page reminding everyone that it's not ok to be a sexual predator?

I think this is missing the point LBP.

The main issue with the ad, IMO, is that it lumps masculinity in with toxic masculinity.

And so now, you can't separate them from each other.

So now if you say well hold on I don't know about this, two brothers wrestling isn't a problem, you're also denouncing sexual assault as being a bad thing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: