3-Point Shooting: Lakers still in need of Snipers / Ranked 29th in 3-PT Made and Percetage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject:

So far it looks like we might be in big trouble. Nobody hit them last night.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject:

just one game...ball movement generated good looks but just off shooting tonight...

kcp should shoot better and lopez will help open up the halfcourt game with his shooting...
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject:

What did golden state shoot from three against the nuggets?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
We had one.

Uh, who? Meeks? Ariza? Horry?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject:

So does GSW, maybe we'll see a fire sale there?

Was one game folks, our first one, against a playoff team that played their vets more than most.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject:

The snipers we should get are Paul George next summer and Klay Thompson the year after that.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

This was my least favorite thing about the roster construction, is that in hinges on hoping a lot of guys find a regular 3 point shot this year - Lonzo, KCP, Ingram, Randle, Nance, Zubac...

However this was a preseason game where everyone seemed exhausted and their shot was off. Hoping in the coming games guys hit shots. If not, this is gonna be a really rough season.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
This was my least favorite thing about the roster construction, is that in hinges on hoping a lot of guys find a regular 3 point shot this year - Lonzo, KCP, Ingram, Randle, Nance, Zubac...

However this was a preseason game where everyone seemed exhausted and their shot was off. Hoping in the coming games guys hit shots. If not, this is gonna be a really rough season.

We were 5-30 from downtown and right there at the end despite being short handed , little practice time, and against a veteran playoff team.

I wouldn't take much from it, and I am confident we will not shoot 17% from downtown as a team.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

Ideal swap would be Clarkson for an expiring gunner, but I don't see a match. We'd have to play big but I wonder if the Cavs would do Frye and Calderón for Clarkson and the Sac 2nd. Gives you a 40 percent 3 baller and Calderón comes back as another shooter in emergency.

Either way, teams are going to rotate until they get the weakness (Clarkson) and unless we start hitting them I don't know how the bench crew wins any battles even with Kuzma. There may be a better fit, but from the looks of things Clarkson is going to be an issue.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

Our best 3-point shooters will be Paul George next year and Klay Thompson the year after.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Ideal swap would be Clarkson for an expiring gunner, but I don't see a match. We'd have to play big but I wonder if the Cavs would do Frye and Calderón for Clarkson and the Sac 2nd. Gives you a 40 percent 3 baller and Calderón comes back as another shooter in emergency.

Either way, teams are going to rotate until they get the weakness (Clarkson) and unless we start hitting them I don't know how the bench crew wins any battles even with Kuzma. There may be a better fit, but from the looks of things Clarkson is going to be an issue.

They should had thought about that before giving Clarkson 4 years.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Our best 3-point shooters will be Paul George next year and Klay Thompson the year after.

We might not have a chance at George if they do well. Indy played this plan to screw the Lakers perfectly.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:

Bellinelli is one but no idea why Atlanta would want JC.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I think we lack guys that can really create their own shot, and that is compounded by not having a guy in the halfcourt that is good at playmaking or setting up guys in position for a clean shot.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

We were 5-30 from downtown and right there at the end despite being short handed , little practice time, and against a veteran playoff team.

I wouldn't take much from it, and I am confident we will not shoot 17% from downtown as a team.

The fact that we have one player who shot at league average from three last year is more indicative than a 5/30 shooting night. I'll wait to see a larger sample size from Lonzo, Ingram, Randle, and Nance before making any assumptions, but they're the ones who are going to have to prove they're sustainable shooters before I change my view on this team being a bad shooting team
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I think we lack guys that can really create their own shot, and that is compounded by not having a guy in the halfcourt that is good at playmaking or setting up guys in position for a clean shot.

Ingram and Randle can create their own shot. The problem is that they need to learn how to do it within the flow of the offense, rather than ball stopping. It means reading the defense before the catch and making quicker decisions. That will not only get them more efficient shots, but it will also ensure more complete and efficient possessions for the team as a whole.

As for shooters, I would agree that Kuzma appears to be the only "shooter" on the team, i.e. a guy who seems to prefer a jump shot off a screen or spot up over a drive to the rim. KCP and Hart may be those guys too, but that remains to be seen. Still, it doesn't mean we will have a problem with spacing if (1) Lopez shoots the way he did last season and (2) Clarkson, Ingram, Randle and Nance all show they can shoot the 3 at a decent clip.

We may have more than enough shooting, but, yes, it depends on a lot of our guys all improving from beyond the mark.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
MJST wrote:
We had one.

Uh, who? Meeks? Ariza? Horry?

I am guessing he means Fisher.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

The fact that we have one player who shot at league average from three last year is more indicative than a 5/30 shooting night. I'll wait to see a larger sample size from Lonzo, Ingram, Randle, and Nance before making any assumptions, but they're the ones who are going to have to prove they're sustainable shooters before I change my view on this team being a bad shooting team

I would say odds are none of them will be league average or above this season......there is just nothing from what I have seen from them in the past that would suggest they will suddenly be even average jump shooters this season....maybe Ingram.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Exactly where my head's at. And I do think that despite the talent upgrades in KCP and Lopez, if none of these guys can shoot from distance respectably, I could really see this team struggling to break 30 wins.

Not saying that's likely, just saying I could see it happening if this team can't really shoot this year. Seriously, how are they utilizing Lonzo's strengths if they don't have guys who can shoot? Why bother having a coach from the Warriors? I have some concerns here.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Shooters! we lack snipers.

JrR31 wrote:
We don't have Swaggy P and lou Williams.

Kyle Kuzma is the only guy out there that can get buckets and he is only a rookie.

We do not have the fire power. This could an ugly season.

What does Kuzma being a rookie have to do with it? He’s more than two years older than Brandon Ingram.

It seems to me that several other players, such as Ball, Lopez, KCP, Ingram, and Clarkson, all have the potential to shoot at least 35% from the three
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

We may not have a 35% or better 3 point shooter this year. Crazy.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma can shoot. BI was dialing it in last year, although he hasn't proven to be a threat in the pros yet.

It's not like he wasn't an outside threat in college, though. Brandon shot 41% from the college 3 point line. He's just got to adjust to NBA distance and NBA closing speed with bigger athletes on the other side of the ball. I think it's a matter of time and it's not unreasonable to think he'll come around at some point early on this season.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
The Logo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Exactly where my head's at. And I do think that despite the talent upgrades in KCP and Lopez, if none of these guys can shoot from distance respectably, I could really see this team struggling to break 30 wins.

Not saying that's likely, just saying I could see it happening if this team can't really shoot this year. Seriously, how are they utilizing Lonzo's strengths if they don't have guys who can shoot? Why bother having a coach from the Warriors? I have some concerns here.

The spacing last night in the starting lineup was pretty bad. Despite both working on their three point shots, neither Randle/Nance provided a semblance of spacing that Lopez is able to provide. Even with the addition to Lopez, if no one can shoot aside from him, the paint will still be clogged, which is why I'd be fine with Kuzma being integrated in the starting lineup. Our only real three point threat was Ingram last night, because he hit a couple of early threes. We're getting tested early against playoff caliber teams in Minnesota and Denver, but I feel like 30 wins is a stretch also, especially if Lopez misses time this year.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We may not have a 35% or better 3 point shooter this year. Crazy.

No doubt. We really lack shooting, only Kuzma and Lopez look like they might might be able to hit that number unless other guys step up.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Kuzma can shoot. BI was dialing it in last year, although he hasn't proven to be a threat in the pros yet.

It's not like he wasn't an outside threat in college, though. Brandon shot 41% from the college 3 point line. He's just got to adjust to NBA distance and NBA closing speed with bigger athletes on the other side of the ball. I think it's a matter of time and it's not unreasonable to think he'll come around at some point early on this season.

Think that one of the bigger reasons why he shot a higher percentage from college was because of him playing small ball 4, which led to him getting more time to shoot his shot. Against quicker athletes, he'll need to keep on improving his footwork on his shot as well as his mechanics and getting shots up at game speed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: