ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 445, 446, 447 ... 450, 451, 452  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:03 am    Post subject:

This year’s gap was in-season tournament trophy vs no in-season tournament trophy.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:21 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/LakeShowYo/status/1786612478912430289

Tell me again how great of a genius Jerry West is,ROTFL
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 3:27 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Bummer. I really thought this year was their year

/green

But his energy and money will get players the title. Just watch!

Winning NBA titles isn't easy, particularly with past prime stars. Kawhi's physical peak ended in Toronto. We dodged a major bullet when he went to the Clippers. If we spend that money on him that year, we have 0 titles to show for it. He is never enough healthy to give your team continuity and chemistry AD, Bron and Kawhi would have needed. Then factor depth, the money being all on a roster that is top heavy, Pelinka/Jeanie era would be batting 0/6 right now with the AD era.

As a fan at least grateful we got 1 title. I know we're not a very good FO, but at least we're better than the Clippers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject:

Another Playoff P / broken Kawhi special. At least our front office got us one title amid all the disappointment. The Clips went all in on two unreliable stars and have bupkes to show for it.

Oh, and.... VLF in shambles again.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject:

mixtim wrote:

Thats gonna haunt them for a while. Imagine doing their part to give OKC the recipe to have the best record in the western conference then also giving them additional draft capital while they are at the top....
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject:

richsmith wrote:
Another Playoff P / broken Kawhi special. At least our front office got us one title amid all the disappointment. The Clips went all in on two unreliable stars and have bupkes to show for it.

Oh, and.... VLF in shambles again.

He's still crying about the 2020 NBA season.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject:

Paul George is now 34 years old. Kawhi Leonard is never going to play a meaningful basketball game again. James Harden, lol.

Ty Lue be like "I think we can do something special" (give me a lot of money). I've learned a lot from Steve Ballmer (money).
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject:

its so funny that they just extended Kawai. Bummer that he is hurt but its a degenerative issue. Everyone knows there is no "getting better." just shows how rich ballmer is. he can throw 300m away and not even feel it.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject:

It you take away the 17 trophies, just by looking ahead, clippers are in better position than the lakers because of one reason, their ownership is way better than Jeannie nepotism Buss. Balmer can be annoying but the guy is willing tap into his unlimited financial resource to rebuild clippers on the fly. He’s willing to hire the top basketball mind to run his team. With the new arena going up in Inglewood, I’m sure there are some young stars wants to come to clipperland and write their own LA history. Meanwhile we have 40 year old LeBron, a front office consist of Rambii and a former agent, with an owner only hired her friends or someone who won’t criticize her in public.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
I still feel that the Clippers are better than the Lakers when healthy. But, they're never healthy.

What can you do if you're the Clippers at this point? Tweaking the supporting cast isn't going to get Kawhi healthy at the end.

They've always been the type of team that can win regular season games shorthanded. But that hasn't made a difference for Kawhi or PG.

At least PG was healthy this year.

Yep. Agree. I was a bit afraid of them...if they were healthy. Also, part of the reason they're better than our roster is the gift we gave them in a young, developing big man, Zubac.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
It you take away the 17 trophies, just by looking ahead, clippers are in better position than the lakers because of one reason, their ownership is way better than Jeannie nepotism Buss. Balmer can be annoying but the guy is willing tap into his unlimited financial resource to rebuild clippers on the fly. He’s willing to hire the top basketball mind to run his team. With the new arena going up in Inglewood, I’m sure there are some young stars wants to come to clipperland and write their own LA history. Meanwhile we have 40 year old LeBron, a front office consist of Rambii and a former agent, with an owner only hired her friends or someone who won’t criticize her in public.

ownership sure, but paying Kawai with all of the information there was nuts.

We are at the complete opposite. we sign bad players but because we arent bidding against anyone for them we arent stuck with long money. Unfortunately we have a just good enough team to make the playin just to get beat by a healthy playoff team.
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Again, each owner has had their chosen front office basically in place over the last 5 years, and the results still favor the Lakers over the Clippers. Balmer might have spent his money liberally, but they have absolutely sweet FA to show for it. They brought in the Logo, and their biggest move was to blow the farm on two completely unreliable stars. And now they're reduced to players like Westbrick and Harden, the sloppy thirds of every other team in the league. We may not be impressed with Jeanie and co, but from the OTT posts about the brilliance of Balmer, West and Lue, you'd think the Clippers had actually achieved something other than mediocrity. I'd take a ring and a WCF appearance despite all the play-in positions, over coming 3rd or 4th every year and never going deep in the playoffs.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject:

Clippers will always have daddy Ballmer to spend lavishly on FA. Kawhi was smart. He saw this in Ballmer and capitalized. Smart in basketball and smart in business.

I'm sure after Kawhi and PG, there will be plenty of superstar FA lining up for Ballmer's money. Ballmer didn't even blink shelling out $2B for a new arena while Jeanie has been counting pennies. As for the Lakers, I really don't want to know what would happen after Lebron retired. We'll just milk Lebron until then.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Clippers forward PJ Tucker is expected to exercise his $11.54 million player option for the 2024-25 season, league sources told @hoopshype.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:34 pm    Post subject:

richsmith wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Again, each owner has had their chosen front office basically in place over the last 5 years, and the results still favor the Lakers over the Clippers. Balmer might have spent his money liberally, but they have absolutely sweet FA to show for it. They brought in the Logo, and their biggest move was to blow the farm on two completely unreliable stars. And now they're reduced to players like Westbrick and Harden, the sloppy thirds of every other team in the league. We may not be impressed with Jeanie and co, but from the OTT posts about the brilliance of Balmer, West and Lue, you'd think the Clippers had actually achieved something other than mediocrity. I'd take a ring and a WCF appearance despite all the play-in positions, over coming 3rd or 4th every year and never going deep in the playoffs.

It's like people don't realize Ballmer has been in charge for 10 years now. And they're out of championship contention for at least the next 5 because of the Paul George trade. They treat Ballmer like he's a rookie with unlimited potential when he's more like a ringless vet that's bounced around the league.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to Jerry West for building another great team...in OKC.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Is it worse for the Clippers for Harden to walk away, or for them to have to give him a massive extension? Some team out there will be dumb enough to pay him big and they’ll have to match.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:

To be fair, Lawrence Frank is the one making the moves. All West does is consult. He's no more than what Phil was to Jeanie a while back. He gets paid for it because Ballmer has money to throw around everywhere, but West did not construct and orchestrate the details of the trades. He simply gave advice such as go for a PG trade.

Trading for PG is not the mistake, it was signing Kawhi. PG has had a few really good seasons. He's been an all-star player multiple times for them. The move that haunts them is depending on Kawhi. And that dependence led them to believing investing so much in PG3 would lead to a dynamic duo good enough to win a title ala Jordan/Pippen.

Luck is always part of the equation. Had Kawhi been healthy, they maybe win a title or make a NBA Finals. I think if memory serves me well, Kawhi has had 1 healthy season out of 5 in LA.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Finally they are moving out of our building. Enjoy those bigger bathrooms you losers. And don't forget to take that second round Banner with you.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject:

PG13 for:

SGA - 25 y.o., 30 PPG, All NBA
Tre Mann - 23 y.o. back up PG
Jalen Williams - 23 y.o., 19/4/4, All Rookie
JJJ - 23 y.o., 12/4/3, probable All Rookie
2024 FRP
2025 FRP
2025 FRP swap
2026 FRP

PLUS
Danilo Gallinari, who OKC flipped for a 2025 #2 (ATL's, which should be high).

PS:
OKC owns a 2027 FRP swap with the Clippers from the Harden deal.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject:

From the Harden deal, the Clippers owe:

2027 FRP swap (to OKC)
2028 FRP
2029 FRP swap
2029 SRP

AND
39 y.o. PJ Tucker just exercised his $11.5 million option for next year.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ducasse wrote:

To be fair, Lawrence Frank is the one making the moves. All West does is consult. He's no more than what Phil was to Jeanie a while back. He gets paid for it because Ballmer has money to throw around everywhere, but West did not construct and orchestrate the details of the trades. He simply gave advice such as go for a PG trade.

Trading for PG is not the mistake, it was signing Kawhi. PG has had a few really good seasons. He's been an all-star player multiple times for them. The move that haunts them is depending on Kawhi. And that dependence led them to believing investing so much in PG3 would lead to a dynamic duo good enough to win a title ala Jordan/Pippen.

Luck is always part of the equation. Had Kawhi been healthy, they maybe win a title or make a NBA Finals. I think if memory serves me well, Kawhi has had 1 healthy season out of 5 in LA.

If West was part of the team that made the decisions for the Clippers I think it's fair that he gets credit for rebuilding OKC. Trading for PG wasn't the mistake, the amount of assets they gave up was the mistake.
I don't think Jerry West was as detached as you're implying. He was on the phone leaving voicemails with Kawhi's associates trashing the Lakers. It's very likely Frank told West what the price was before pulling the trigger and it was a panic move. West and Clippers were terrified Lakers would get Kawhi.
Given Kawhi's injury history Clippers should have told him that Shai was going to be great and stood firm on moving him. Instead Clippers got pillaged.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject:

mixtim wrote:

Jerry didn't want them to move Shai and eventhough felt the picks weren't that important that they can do the deal. That Shai was the one they were going to all feel bad about. He didn't care about moving the picks. He said that Shai was going to be a future all-star and all the things in the league he's become, but was hopeful that having two finished products in Kawhi and George would make up for that before that time came.

On paper he'd be right. In execution, Kawhi was never healthy and the year he was, Luka sonned both him and George in the Playoffs in Round 1. But they made it to Round 2 where they blew a 3-1 lead vs the Nuggets. Guess who the Coach was
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
mixtim wrote:

Jerry didn't want them to move Shai and eventhough felt the picks weren't that important that they can do the deal. That Shai was the one they were going to all feel bad about. He didn't care about moving the picks. He said that Shai was going to be a future all-star and all the things in the league he's become, but was hopeful that having two finished products in Kawhi and George would make up for that before that time came.

On paper he'd be right. In execution, Kawhi was never healthy and the year he was, Luka sonned both him and George in the Playoffs in Round 1. But they made it to Round 2 where they blew a 3-1 lead vs the Nuggets. Guess who the Coach was

Who would you rather go into the new building with? 33 y.o. Kawhi (who may never play again) & 34 y.o. PG13, or 26 y.o. SGA with a young core & a boatload of picks?

Last edited by Dr. Laker on Sat May 04, 2024 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
MJST wrote:
mixtim wrote:

Who would you rather go into the new building with? 33 y.o. Kawhi (who may never play again) & 34 y.o. PG13, or 26 y.o. SGA, a young core and a boatload of picks?

Shai of course.

But they were thinking win now, not 5 years from now. They made the kind of move Lakers fans beg them to do, till they see what can happen.

The idea is you only do those moves if you think you can contend for a title, so they did. A healthy Kawhi and PG may be a different story, but it never happened, and the year it did they blew a 3-1 lead.

I'll never take that for granted because shoe could have easily been on our fate if anything had happened to AD prior to or in the bubble.

Last edited by MJST on Sat May 04, 2024 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 445, 446, 447 ... 450, 451, 452  Next
Page 446 of 452
Jump to: