OFFICIAL Class of 2015 Okafor/Mudiay/non-DLO Rookies Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think it was he offense per se that deterred the Lakers. It was his defense and how they projected him going forward on that end. No doubt okafor's offense is pretty advanced now. I don't think many disagreed on that end.

And it was that they thought they could nab Deandre Jordan or Lamarcus in free agency

I hope that isn't true,because if it is then that shows a level of delusion I'm not comfortable with our front office having.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think it was he offense per se that deterred the Lakers. It was his defense and how they projected him going forward on that end. No doubt okafor's offense is pretty advanced now. I don't think many disagreed on that end.

And it was that they thought they could nab Deandre Jordan or Lamarcus in free agency

I hope that isn't true,because if it is then that shows a level of delusion I'm not comfortable with our front office having.

I don't think it was a clear cut, "we have DJ or LMA in the bag" kind of thinking.

More like looking at the lay of the land FA-wise. Just in terms of more polished big men FAs, there were:

LMA, DJ, Lopez x2, Hibbert (trade), Monroe, Chandler, etc.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:

You have to think of the quote from the old school perspective of "never pass on a big man" which doesn't make sense if you look at it objectively, but may be something that they have to rationalize. Doesn't mean that they didn't think Russell was the BPA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
You have to think of the quote from the old school perspective of "never pass on a big man" which doesn't make sense if you look at it objectively, but may be something that they have to rationalize. Doesn't mean that they didn't think Russell was the BPA.

I have 0 doubts that if KAT was on the board the Lakers take him. I think Oak's defense really scared them off.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject:

It seems like the team that a lot of Lakers fans are pining for is this one:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2010.html
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject:

That was Okafor's best game last night. He got his points (moreso) in the context of the offense rather than isolating, and did a decent job of defending Monroe. He made a couple of bonehead plays in the last 90 seconds that directly lead to 4 points for Milwaukee, but defensive stupidity (especially when helping) is par for the course for most rookies.

Okafor is very good at being what he is...I just don't think that what he is is particularly valuable. An isolation scorer who doesn't defend, create many looks for others, shoot 3's, or get to the FT line a ton just isn't going to create or prevent enough PPP to help you win games. It's easy to point to "Philly sucks", but they are even worse than they were last year, from a PPP perspective. They're scoring 93.0 points per 100 possession this year, down from 95.5 per 100 last year. Both were/are last in the NBA. While it would be disingenuous to lay all of that at Okafor's feet, or the Laker's improvement in this respect at Russell's, but the Lakers have jumped from 24th in that category to 7th this year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

Oak is def changing the way that the 76ers wanted to play. Pace/Space is tough with Oak demanding the ball in the post.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject:

I need to see Russell in a different system, actually this whole team but especially Russell. The one thing I did notice about Russell and I missed it earlier is that he gets really easy looks at that basket with his jumper, he's just not making them even going back to summer league. Coming around picks he has that midrange J all day, just can't seem to knock them down.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Philly would look like a completely different team if they actually had intentions to win ball games, surround Noel/Okafor with some 3 point shooters, and a point guard that was at least starting caliber. It's debatable if anyone on that roster is starter worthy, outside of Noel/Okafor. It's debatable even if their 3rd/4th/5th best players would even break the rotation of the Lakers - the 0-4 Lakers who have bench players that would easily start on the Sixers with Lou, Young etc.

For instance give them what Anthony Davis and Omer Asik have had in NOR the last 2 years -
Noel
Okafor
Evans
Gordon
Holiday
6th man Ryan Anderson

And this Sixer team is completely different in how it executes. Just the talent level of what Noel/Okafor are playing with is just a huge disadvantage, never mind they're still learning how to play and win at this level.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't think it was a clear cut, "we have DJ or LMA in the bag" kind of thinking.

More like looking at the lay of the land FA-wise. Just in terms of more polished big men FAs, there were:

I also think the Lakers realize that Randle has to put in some work to become an even average defender, and you can't succeed with a C-PF combo where both guys are below-average defenders.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Philly would look like a completely different team if they actually had intentions to win ball games, surround Noel/Okafor with some 3 point shooters, and a point guard that was at least starting caliber. It's debatable if anyone on that roster is starter worthy, outside of Noel/Okafor. It's debatable even if their 3rd/4th/5th best players would even break the rotation of the Lakers - the 0-4 Lakers who have bench players that would easily start on the Sixers with Lou, Young etc.

For instance give them what Anthony Davis and Omer Asik have had in NOR the last 2 years -
Noel
Okafor
Evans
Gordon
Holiday
6th man Ryan Anderson

And this Sixer team is completely different in how it executes. Just the talent level of what Noel/Okafor are playing with is just a huge disadvantage, never mind they're still learning how to play and win at this level.

To be frank if Embiid was healthy it would have changed their calculations. i think the Lakers picking DLO really screwed their plans. 76er fans were openly listing over DLO in their pace and space scheme.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
I'm far more worried we'll regret not taking Porzingis than Okafor.

Also I wonder if we ever actually tried offering our two first round picks to Minnesota. I know many on LG were against it.

According to Emplay, the Lakers had DLO and Porky over Okafor. He said that Okafor tanked his Laker workouts.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I also think the Lakers realize that Randle has to put in some work to become an even average defender, and you can't succeed with a C-PF combo where both guys are below-average defenders.

Another piece of the calculation is when you have two guys you like relatively equally (assuming they liked Porzingas equally or near equally to Russell), then you look at fitting with your roster as something of a tiebreaker.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Where are all those guys that were saying "No to Krispy Pork Fat?", now? We know you are out there. Being a Euro lowered his draft status.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Of all the rookies we keep talking about I think there is no doubt which one is a sure thing, that's Karl Towns. The rest of the rookies are all question marks in terms of long term success, not stats... wins.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

21 pts, 9/13... wow...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Byron Scott actually spilled the beans. not drafting a big was because they felt the free agent market had a lot of bigs to offer... they end up signing Plan D Hibbert.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Showing that any rookie can stink it up, Mr. Towns went 3-13 for 6 points and 4 boards. Mudiay had another weak performance too. Okafor probably the most consistent rookie so far statistically.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
That was Okafor's best game last night. He got his points (moreso) in the context of the offense rather than isolating, and did a decent job of defending Monroe. He made a couple of bonehead plays in the last 90 seconds that directly lead to 4 points for Milwaukee, but defensive stupidity (especially when helping) is par for the course for most rookies.

Okafor is very good at being what he is...I just don't think that what he is is particularly valuable. An isolation scorer who doesn't defend, create many looks for others, shoot 3's, or get to the FT line a ton just isn't going to create or prevent enough PPP to help you win games. It's easy to point to "Philly sucks", but they are even worse than they were last year, from a PPP perspective. They're scoring 93.0 points per 100 possession this year, down from 95.5 per 100 last year. Both were/are last in the NBA. While it would be disingenuous to lay all of that at Okafor's feet, or the Laker's improvement in this respect at Russell's, but the Lakers have jumped from 24th in that category to 7th this year.

This is what GT and I were talking about pre-draft.

fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject:

For those curious, the numbers for DLO and Clarkson are:

With both: 96.5
W/ JC, no DLO: 109.5
W/ DLO, no JC: 111.8

They were both 118 in the past game, which is a step towards learning to play together.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

People just go "OMG 21 point on 9/13 FG...amazing!" and have no grasp of how it impacts the team.

This is good stuff. Where'd you get it?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject:

Mudiay is 4-17 (23.5%) on his shot attempts within 5 feet of the basket, and has had his shot blocked 7 times in these circumstances. #blowbyspeed #breakpeopledown
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Mudiay is 4-17 (23.5%) on his shot attempts within 5 feet of the basket, and has had his shot blocked 7 times in these circumstances. #blowbyspeed #breakpeopledown

#Fisherwasabetterfinisher

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTG0nltWUAAfKws.jpg

People just go "OMG 21 point on 9/13 FG...amazing!" and have no grasp of how it impacts the team.

This is good stuff. Where'd you get it?

Ditto. Great stuff.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Where are all those guys that were saying "No to Krispy Pork Fat?", now? We know you are out there. Being a Euro lowered his draft status.

Not me, once I saw some film on him I was impressed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 5 of 91
Jump to: