Afflalo To The NBA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Afflalo To The NBA

According to 570, he's called a 3:00 press conference to announce his intentions.

Here's what I posted about him in another thread last week:

Quote:
Kobe2Lamar wrote:
I dunno if he'd even make a good pro. A SG who can't shoot Unless he's attacking the rim like D-Wade, he's pretty much worthless cos UCLA defense isn't allowed in the NBA

Quote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:
That is not his game at all; he is a shooter make no doubt about it, and is actually a pretty good one at that. He is also a relentless defender, one of the best defenders on the perimeter in the nation who always guards the best player. He can create his own shot off the dribble and can raise up and shoot over some of the best defense schemes they throw at him.

He's not a good shooter, he's a streaky shooter, and he doesn't create well either. Further, though he won't face the likes of Corey Brewer every night, he will have difficulty getting his shot off over longer NBA defenders as he only measures in at closer to 6' 4½" than his listed 6'6".

I do think he'd flourish with the Lakers though. His value in the league figures to be in his ability to stay in front of PGs, as plenty of NBA 2s will be able to shoot right over him despite his hounding 'D'. He doesn't have the best lateral quicks in the world, but he recovers as fast as anyone I've ever seen.

Now, he obviously doesn't have anywhere near the capabilities to play PG from an offensive standpoint, but with a lineup of say Kobe, Odom, and Luke on the floor with Afflalo out there solely to grind opposing 1s on 'D', he could be phenomenal. It's a specific role no doubt, but as a spot-up 2 in the tri (but not when another point eg. Smush, Farmar, etc. is out there) and hounding PGs on the other end, he could be exactly what the doctor ordered off the bench.

And despite his less than elite hops and lack of shot creation skills, has has very underrated foot speed.

Last edited by RYZ on Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject:

In the NBA, he is maybe an Eric Snow two inches taller.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I would love to have Eric Snow of the Philadelphia Eastern Conference Champs as our starting point.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

or a shorter Shane Battier
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject:

...Farmar to Afflalo!
dinlabreak
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject:

i thought hes gonna stay, didnt he say he is gonna stay because he feels he owes something to the organization?
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Afflalo isn't as good as Nick Young, who'll probably also declare soon and should be available where the Lakers will end up picking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Not a bad reference. I'd distinguish between them like this:

-They're obviously both very good defenders, but Snow gets by more on position, anticipation, and strength, while Afflalo tends to rely more on tenacity, his laterals, and his incredible recovery speed.

-Afflalo's j, while streaky, is still much better than Snow's.

-Snow has far better playmaking skills.

The truth is, though their NBA games will have some overlap, they come from dramatically different b-ball backgrounds. Snow was a good collegiate PG playing alongside a star at the 2 in Shawn Respert, while Afflalo was a college 2 playing alongside two NBA PGs in Farmar and Collison.
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
Afflalo isn't as good as Nick Young, who'll probably also declare soon and should be available where the Lakers will end up picking.

Yeah, I like Nick Young's game alot. He seems like he can make a midrange jumpshot consistantly even fading away which this Lakers team is surely lacking. at 6'6 would he play shooting guard or small forward?
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

or a shorter Shane Battier

or a darker Brian Cardinal
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:

i'll pass. choker.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:

AJLakerFan wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

Yeah, I like Nick Young's game alot. He seems like he can make a midrange jumpshot consistantly even fading away which this Lakers team is surely lacking. at 6'6 would he play shooting guard or small forward?

Apples and oranges.

Nick Young is a college 3, who may or may not have the height/length to play SF in the league. I don't think he has the range or consistency outside of 15 feet to succeed at the 2 right now, but I don't think he can create enough space with his rigor mortis fall away to get it over taller NBA 3s. He can definitely get his own shot (sometimes he seems unguardable), but despite that will go invisible for long stretches of games.

The biggest thing with Young is his absolute inability to stay focused and intense for long periods of time. Laker fans think Smush, Kwame, and Radman drive them crazy, Nick Young will be the cherry on top. He basically shot over smaller players in college, or went around bigger, slower ones, and when situations seemed like a lot of effort would be required, he often just took himself out of the game mentally.

Is he talented?

No doubt. Arguably the most talented guy in the PAC-10.

If, as the consensus goes, you're always drafting the best player available, Young could well be your guy in the late teens.

But do the Lakers need a another space cadet, and a tweener at that?

I'd study long and hard about that one.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
i'll pass. choker.

If that's a reference to Corey Brewer, I beg to differ. Brewer's just a better player. And for a guy like Afflalo who can't really keep his defender honest off the dribble, he has no shot against Brewer. And anyway, foul trouble killed him in this year's game much more than Brewer did.

But if you want to look to the next biggest game of Afflalo's career, outisde of the two Florida debacles, all you have to do is look back a week prior to the Kansas game and see how Afflalo carried UCLA to the final four with his second half performance.

Besides, you wouldn't be bringing him in to carry the offensive burden on this team. He'd be what, the 8th option offensively? You'd bring him in exclusively to lock up guys 6'5" and under, and nobody can ever accuse him of choking in the department.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
msb212 wrote:
i'll pass. choker.

If that's a reference to Corey Brewer, I beg to differ. Brewer's just a better player. And for a guy like Afflalo who can't really keep his defender honest off the dribble, he has no shot against Brewer. And anyway, foul trouble killed him in this year's game much more than Brewer did.

But if you want to look to the next biggest game of Afflalo's career, outisde of the two Florida debacles, all you have to do is look back a week prior to the Kansas game and see how Afflalo carried UCLA to the final four with his second half performance.

Besides, you wouldn't be bringing him in to carry the offensive burden on this team. He'd be what, the 8th option offensively? You'd bring him in exclusively to lock up guys 6'5" and under, and nobody can ever accuse him of choking in the department.

But that's the thing. At Afflalo's position, there are about 100 swingmen similar to Brewer in some way, or even more athletic, bigger, faster, more skilled, etc. Brewer isn't even a franchise player.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
RYZ wrote:
msb212 wrote:
i'll pass. choker.

But that's the thing. At Afflalo's position, there are about 100 swingmen similar to Brewer in some way, or even more athletic, bigger, faster, more skilled, etc. Brewer isn't even a franchise player.

See my first post in this thread, Mike, I explain exactly how I envision his role as (narrowly) defined on the Lakers. I think on any other team with a traditional offense (or even on this team with different personnel) he's in trouble.

As to 100 guys like Brewer in the NBA, no way. I think he instantly becomes (at the worst) top ten in the league defensively at the 2/3 swing, and that will only improve with added strength over the next few years. The only thing he'll have trouble with initially is hefty 3s posting him up.

Franchise player? No.

First team all league 'D' at some point. Good chance.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
AJLakerFan wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

Apples and oranges.

Nick Young is a college 3, who may or may not have the height/length to play SF in the league. I don't think he has the range or consistency outside of 15 feet to succeed at the 2 right now, but I don't think he can create enough space with his rigor mortis fall away to get it over taller NBA 3s. He can definitely get his own shot (sometimes he seems unguardable), but despite that will go invisible for long stretches of games.

The biggest thing with Young is his absolute inability to stay focused and intense for long periods of time. Laker fans think Smush, Kwame, and Radman drive them crazy, Nick Young will be the cherry on top. He basically shot over smaller players in college, or went around bigger, slower ones, and when situations seemed like a lot of effort would be required, he often just took himself out of the game mentally.

Is he talented?

If, as the consensus goes, you're always drafting the best player available, Young could well be your guy in the late teens.

Nick Young shot 52.5% from the field, 44% from 3-point land, was an excellent defender and was a very clutch player. Young is as quick and as athletic as Afflalo and is just overall more versatile. Young outplayed Afflalo both times they played this year and they guarded one another. The talk about Young's lack of focus stems from his freshman year when Bibby was fired and they played with an assistant coach at the helm all year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
RYZ wrote:
AJLakerFan wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

Apples and oranges.

Is he talented?

Nick Young shot 52.5% from the field, 44% from 3-point land, was an excellent defender and was a very clutch player. Young is as quick and as athletic as Afflalo and is just overall more versatile. Young outplayed Afflalo both times they played this year and they guarded one another. The talk about Young's lack of focus stems from his freshman year when Bibby was fired and they played with an assistant coach at the helm all year.

I've seen nearly every televised college basketball game Nick Young has played, plus live once or twice each year, plus live at PAC-10 tourney games. The talk about lack of focus stems from what I've seen repeatedly with my own eyes. He can't keep his head in the game. I know his stats and I've seen all his games v. UCLA. I said he's arguably the most talented player in the PAC-10. You didn't answer my concerns about how his game will translate to the NBA.
FarmartoAfflalo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
...Farmar to Afflalo!

Yes?????

Both my boys are going to be in the L. I might have to change my name to CollisontoLove next.
FarmartoAfflalo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Nick Young is the better offensive player, Afflalo the much better defender. In terms of basketball IQ, Afflalo is way above Young as well.

And here is the dagger on sc

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Afflalo would be a very good 2nd round pick, so-so 1st round pick. He's pretty good defensively but is a bit short. His shot is improved but still iffy and he can't create shots.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: