Who will be our next AC type player?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
^^ but you cant teach athleticism... Caruso looks like he is a more quicker and springier player than Reaves by a good amount

Not teach but they can improve from a strength and conditioning program. They just need to be at a level to compete with NBA athletes which I believe Reaves and Ayayi are at or they would not be in the league.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
I am more worried about who is our Next Magic,Shaq, Kobe,Bron over AC

Most likely being developed on another team as those are extremely rare. Lets watch the list of Klutch clients. Although many are down on him Ben Simmons in 3-4 years???
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

I’m prefer the idea of finding the next AC Green.

Team already has too many Gs. Give me the next fan favorite unexpected effort based success story in the front court instead.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
governator wrote:
If I have to put a bet… Travelin Queen

I'd feel better about this if he actually was signed to the roster or 2-way. Otherwise for the Lakers I'd say Reaves. I wouldn't be surprised if he gains Vogel's trust and earns spot minutes later in the season and not just in blow outs.

Reaves is far ahead but queen, maybe he can be a lock down defender
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
governator wrote:

I'd feel better about this if he actually was signed to the roster or 2-way. Otherwise for the Lakers I'd say Reaves. I wouldn't be surprised if he gains Vogel's trust and earns spot minutes later in the season and not just in blow outs.

Yea right now I see Queen as more of a KCP chase type defender which is still very nice to have. AC also excelled in the team concept and I have no idea how Queen is in this respect.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
governator wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
governator wrote:

Yea right now I see Queen as more of a KCP chase type defender which is still very nice to have. AC also excelled in the team concept and I have no idea how Queen is in this respect.

Hasn’t shown nothing, I only remember he could knock down threes and Uber athletic. Reaves/Queens be a jackpot if either can be in bench rotation
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

Team already has too many Gs. Give me the next fan favorite unexpected effort based success story in the front court instead.

Soooo does he need to maintain the big V? Okay aside from this inappropriate joke, AC Green was a 1st round pick. It would have been nice if Kuzma developed into a better offensive version of him but it was not meant to be.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject:

Undrafted bigs who fall between the cracks and eventually turn into something are extremely rare.

Ben Wallace, Brad Miller, Joel Anthony, Timofrey Mozgov, Marshall Plumlee, Chris Andersen, Udonis Haslem, Bo Outlaw.

There might be a few others, but that's all I can think of over the past 40 years -- so maybe once every four or five years, an undrafted big turns into something.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

Undrafted bigs who fall between the cracks and eventually turn into something are extremely rare.

Ben Wallace, Brad Miller, Joel Anthony, Timofrey Mozgov, Marshall Plumlee, Chris Andersen, Udonis Haslem, Bo Outlaw.

There might be a few others, but that's all I can think of over the past 40 years -- so maybe once every four or five years, an undrafted big turns into something.

The most recent bigs are Christian Woods, Naz Reid and Daniel Theis but yes they are hard to find. With the proliferation of international prospects they are filling in this area especially as the game has transitioned to a perimeter oriented game.

Last edited by PlantedTanks on Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Yes, this signing made me look up his highlights. With hard work & playing against better competition, he looks like he has a bit of everything. He has the size & physical look, hits 3’s, but I’m curious to see how he does in G-league & if he shows scrappiness & defensive effort. I wanna see what Brown can do also, I believe at least one of these guys can be a wing player for us next year or two?
HC: Riley
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
So, who who do you think or can we develop another type of Caruso player in next two years?

Probably no one.

Undrafted guys who turn into rotation players, like Caruso, are extremely rare.

Also, Caruso got a shot because we were a crappy team without much talent. If Caruso joined the roster today, I doubt he'd get any playing time.

Dort, moses brown, FVV, Yogi Ferrel, Derrick Jones Jr, chris boucher, chrisian wood jus all off the top of my head. Its really not that rare anymore since G league has come into play
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
So, who who do you think or can we develop another type of Caruso player in next two years?

Probably no one.

Also, Caruso got a shot because we were a crappy team without much talent. If Caruso joined the roster today, I doubt he'd get any playing time.

Dort, moses brown, FVV, Yogi Ferrel, Derrick Jones Jr, chris boucher, chrisian wood jus all off the top of my head. Its really not that rare anymore since G league has come into play

Exactly. It’s a different time…if you can play, you can play.

Teams don’t operate on draft slot anymore. If you are good enough, you stick. Roughly 2-3 seasons to prove it.

Undrafted guys who show out, stick in the league. Plenty of examples.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

Probably no one.

I'm not saying it's difficult to name 7 undrafted guys who played in the NBA. I could easily name two dozen myself.

I am saying that if you look at every undrafted player in the NBA's 75 year history, the amount who have had decent careers (say, 400-500 games of whatever criteria you want to choose) is fairly small.

Pick your own criteria and test it against the list I provided, and see yourself. If you can show I am wrong, I'll be happy to stand corrected.

But just listing a few names "off the top of your head" is meaningless.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

Probably no one.

I'm not saying it's difficult to name 7 undrafted guys who played in the NBA. I could easily name two dozen myself.

I am saying that if you look at every undrafted player in the NBA's 75 year history, the amount who have had decent careers (say, 400-500 games of whatever criteria you want to choose) is fairly small.

Pick your own criteria and test it against the list I provided, and see yourself. If you can show I am wrong, I'll be happy to stand corrected.

I feel 75 years is the wrong barometer to use to measure the success of udfa's. A better time frame is within the past 10 years and especially the past 7-8 as supervised training and conditioning has been significantly upgraded at all levels of a players development and being conducted on a year round basis as players became more singular sport athletes.

This especially applies to basketball where players of all talent levels realize they can continue playing beyond college and make a good living with the growth of the game internationally and the corresponding popularity of their leagues.

When the Lakers played the Heat in 2020 there were 3 udfa's who received significant court time. 3 of 30 roster players or 1/10 is significant especially when you look at the contributions of Duncan Robinson, AC and Nunn.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Why does this matter? He was valuable, but also he wasn't a super role player. I want any player, off the bench to play their role and be valuable to the team. I don't think AC is the measuring stick.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

Probably no one.

You said its rare when its not rare anymore and actually common these days. Was it rare during Wes Matthew and Ben Wallace time yes, but now its pretty common for UDFA to stick in the league and have a long career
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
LGFan wrote:
I am more worried about who is our Next Magic,Shaq, Kobe,Bron over AC

Most likely being developed on another team as those are extremely rare. Lets watch the list of Klutch clients. Although many are down on him Ben Simmons in 3-4 years???

That gives us 3-4 years to see if he's still just playing for a paycheck.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

Probably no one.

You said its rare when its not rare anymore and actually common these days. Was it rare during Wes Matthew and Ben Wallace time yes, but now its pretty common for UDFA to stick in the league and have a long career

Sorry. I am going to move on from this thread -- I need something more than sweeping generalizations to stay engaged in the topic.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject:

We might not need AC with all the fans the Lakers got.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: