NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
#Lakers are reportedly among the L.A. sports teams that will start requiring employees to be vaccinated.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LakersNation/status/1425865664296783878
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rob Pelinka just said on Zoom the Lakers will be a "fully vaccinated" team by opening night. Pelinka said he is "grateful we won't have interruptions by unvaccinated status of a player or a staff member."

https://mobile.twitter.com/billoram/status/1441146135427444746
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject:

^^^ For our current team, I think we only knew of Bazemore openly stating that he won't be vaccinated earlier this year while in Golden State. I guess this news means he changed his mind at some point.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
^^^ For our current team, I think we only knew of Bazemore openly stating that he won't be vaccinated earlier this year while in Golden State. I guess this news means he changed his mind at some point.

Well, only LBJ, AD, WB and THT aren't new contracts so Pelinka might have made it a part of negotiations before signing players after the extended missed games for protocol last year.

I wonder if the Green Axis of Evil will be able to say the same?
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Hi all

long time no update on this thread. Seem like Covid was getting under control but apparently not.

On August 23rd all health care workers in California will be required to be vaccinated my company announced today. Looks like weekly tests are allowed for the unvaccinated, but my company is choosing to require all their workers be vaccinated perhaps. Looks like the wait game is starting to end and people may be “pressured” to be vaccinated. We will see.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/Order-of-the-State-Public-Health-Officer-Unvaccinated-Workers-In-High-Risk-Settings.aspx

hey lar, how r u?

i finally got pfizer as the early data from novavax had a clotting case. so i was unwilling to wait for a lot longer for a vaccine.

minimal reaction. hope i dont turn into a turtle in 5 years
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Hi all

long time no update on this thread. Seem like Covid was getting under control but apparently not.

On August 23rd all health care workers in California will be required to be vaccinated my company announced today. Looks like weekly tests are allowed for the unvaccinated, but my company is choosing to require all their workers be vaccinated perhaps. Looks like the wait game is starting to end and people may be “pressured” to be vaccinated. We will see.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/Order-of-the-State-Public-Health-Officer-Unvaccinated-Workers-In-High-Risk-Settings.aspx

hey lar, how r u?

i finally got pfizer as the early data from novavax had a clotting case. so i was unwilling to wait for a lot longer for a vaccine.

Doing well..Pfizer its a good shot less side effects than moderna that I got.

I think getting the vaccine is just something we have to do eventually despite our reservations.

Unfortunately my step mom died of Covid a few weeks ago. She didn't get vaccinated because basically she had been isolated and her daugher took care of her the entire pandemic and she figured she could hold getting the shot since it was hard for her to leave the house and she was very low risk. But than she got injuried and, thus, had to be taken care at a local hospital and than taken too a rehab facility. And we believe it was at the rehab facililty she got covid.

So unforutnately because this pandemic is lasting so long the risk of getting covid eventually still happens even for those are low risk due to isolation.

Now as far as turning into a turtle, that is a side effect I haven't heard of yet but I will come an ear out for it
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Hi all

hey lar, how r u?

Doing well..Pfizer its a good shot less side effects than moderna that I got.

I think getting the vaccine is just something we have to do eventually despite our reservations.

Unfortunately my step mom died of Covid a few weeks ago. She didn't get vaccinated because basically she had been isolated and her daugher took care of her the entire pandemic and she figured she could hold getting the shot since it was hard for her to leave the house and she was very low risk. But than she got injuried and, thus, had to be taken care at a local hospital and than taken too a rehab facility. And we believe it was at the rehab facililty she got covid.

So unforutnately because this pandemic is lasting so long the risk of getting covid eventually still happens even for those are low risk due to isolation.

Now as far as turning into a turtle, that is a side effect I haven't heard of yet but I will come an ear out for it

really sorry about your step mom.

i chose pfizer because it had 30 units of mrna instead of moderna which had 100 units.

the initial data on the novavax protein vaccine was good but it still had 1 case of clotting, which is actually horrible statistically. so there was no way i would wait for it because i need to wait for at least 6 months after launch to see what happpens with the clotting. together with the data that showed it was the antibody (not the protein) that was causing the clotting, it was moot.

it is really too bad the american companies did not use create a deactivated virus vaccine (like the chinese vaccine) but with a superior adjuvant. that would have been the best of all worlds. or even a mrna vaccine with an adjuvant so they would need much less mrna.

anyway, the turtle joke is a private joke with my friends. my friends who were also waiting on the protein vaccine also gave up due to the bad timing and the single clotting case in the trial.

i guess the protein vaccines would be ideal for boosters.

lets hope they get the protein for the delta variant instead of the original or the alpha...
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Shams Charania
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania
about 16 minutes ago
The NBA says it has reviewed and denied Andrew Wiggins’ request for religious exemption from the San Francisco Department of Public Health’s order requiring COVID-19 vaccination for all participants age 12 and older at large indoor events.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Shams Charania
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania
about 16 minutes ago
The NBA says it has reviewed and denied Andrew Wiggins’ request for religious exemption from the San Francisco Department of Public Health’s order requiring COVID-19 vaccination for all participants age 12 and older at large indoor events.

can they cut his pay by the games he miss?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject:

So I see Devin Booker announced that he’s currently dealing with Covid. I was really hoping this season wasn’t going to be another mess.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Washington Wizards Star Bradley Beal Says He Is Not Vaccinated, Questions Others’ Motivations For Vaccination

Quote:
When a reporter explained that vaccines significantly lower the chances of hospitalization or death, Beal, who missed this summer's Tokyo Olympics after testing positive, said he hopes he will be protected by having antibodies from previously contracting Covid.

lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Wonder what Kyrie is going to do. He is not vaccinated and it is required to be vaccinated to play in Nets home games.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Any player with questions should just have a conversation with Karl Anthony Towns then they can decide on the value of taking the shot or not.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Washington Wizards Star Bradley Beal Says He Is Not Vaccinated, Questions Others’ Motivations For Vaccination

Quote:
When a reporter explained that vaccines significantly lower the chances of hospitalization or death, Beal, who missed this summer's Tokyo Olympics after testing positive, said he hopes he will be protected by having antibodies from previously contracting Covid.

Good God, this guy would rather actually get COVID itself than thr vaccine?…

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
32 wrote:

Quote:

Good God, this guy would rather actually get COVID itself than thr vaccine?…

there are scientific evidence that an infected person has significant antibody protection.

however, it appears the stronger the infection, the longer the antibody level stays high, as would seem to agree with intuition.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-93175-y

thus for an individual who had more severe covid, it would make sense vaccine is not needed for many months.

however, from public health people that prefer one size fits all, that is really difficult to handle.

if i am sure i had covid, i would delay vaccination for at least a few months, to reduce unnecessary medication.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Why people who had Covid should still get vaccinated

Quote:
For those who have put off getting vaccinated because they’ve already been infected with the coronavirus, a growing body of evidence suggests vaccination plus natural immunity leads to particularly robust protection, including against variants of the virus.

lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Quote:
For those who have put off getting vaccinated because they’ve already been infected with the coronavirus, a growing body of evidence suggests vaccination plus natural immunity leads to particularly robust protection, including against variants of the virus.

Interesting article 32..to add another quote from the article I found interesting

"These modified spike proteins (mutations) were tested in lab dishes against antibodies from people who had recovered from Covid-19, from those who had been vaccinated and from those who had hybrid immunity(those who recovered from Covid & got vaccinated). The spike proteins were able to evade the antibodies from the first two groups, but not antibodies from people with hybrid immunity"

In other words if you had covid and got vaccinated, you have the least worries as far as catching covid and perhaps giving it to others.

I do understand Cal1 argument that if you recovered from Covid you already have good protection..however, if you decide to get vaccinated also, you have the most protection possible and maybe even complete full protection. Its like picking between the Clippers and Lakers..the Clippers are good, but the Lakers are the best (as we know most of here choose the latter, but can't be mad at those who are okay with good).
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
32 wrote:

Quote:

Interesting article 32..to add another quote from the article I found interesting

"These modified spike proteins (mutations) were tested in lab dishes against antibodies from people who had recovered from Covid-19, from those who had been vaccinated and from those who had hybrid immunity(those who recovered from Covid & got vaccinated). The spike proteins were able to evade the antibodies from the first two groups, but not antibodies from people with hybrid immunity"

In other words if you had covid and got vaccinated, you have the least worries as far as catching covid and perhaps giving it to others.

I do understand Cal1 argument that if you recovered from Covid you already have good protection..however, if you decide to get vaccinated also, you have the most protection possible and maybe even complete full protection. Its like picking between the Clippers and Lakers..the Clippers are good, but the Lakers are the best (as we know most of here choose the latter, but can't be mad at those who are okay with good).

the article from 32 mentioned reducing the chance of infection by 2x with hybrid antibodies.
unfortunately, it does not mention whether there is any effect on severe cases.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

just curious, has vaccination affected anyone's life much?

personally, i am now 4 weeks post 2nd shot, but my routine has not changed at all. still isolating, wearing 99% respirator in stores, not eating out, washing groceries, avoiding crowds...

symptoms wise, the 2nd shot was really mild. no fever worth reporting. the only annoying symptoms were:
1. itching minor swelling under entire rectangular bandaid for 48 hours or so.
2. achy palm (injection arm) first night. both palms were achy the second night.
finger skin felt rough for a few weeks. a little internet research led me to think white blood cells were affecting sensory nerves a bit...
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
just curious, has vaccination affected anyone's life much?

personally, i am now 4 weeks post 2nd shot, but my routine has not changed at all. still isolating, wearing 99% respirator in stores, not eating out, washing groceries, avoiding crowds...

symptoms wise, the 2nd shot was really mild. no fever worth reporting. the only annoying symptoms were:
1. itching minor swelling under entire rectangular bandaid for 48 hours or so.
2. achy palm (injection arm) first night. both palms were achy the second night.
finger skin felt rough for a few weeks. a little internet research led me to think white blood cells were affecting sensory nerves a bit...

Cal1..my reaction to the 2nd shot was very severe...about 8 hours after I ran upstairs and my legs gave out and I dropped on my bed..for 5 minutes I barely could breath and had to breath heavily. Not going to lie..this vaccine can be rough for some people.

As far as changes. I still masks and still do everything the same. My sister in law just had a baby which I can visit because I am vaccinated but most things the same..although since my work requires vaccination, I would say since I can still work that is a change.

On a more social scale I would think being vaccinated has a large effect as it helps keep the virus under better control and allows one to do more activities like taking their kids to an indoor playground or visiting their favorite restaurant.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

Love to hear Baze's response re: the vaccine. Sounds like Rob really did his all to get him to buy in from all perspectives

Sounds like Baze is really determined to be an integral part of this team
#18 next...
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Any player with questions should just have a conversation with Karl Anthony Towns then they can decide on the value of taking the shot or not.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30451080/timberwolves-karl-anthony-towns-says-season-difficult-amid-court-tragedies

Quote:

As Karl-Anthony Towns prepares to begin his sixth season with the Minnesota Timberwolves, he said he also is continuing to process the death of his mother, Jacqueline Cruz-Towns, and six other family members who also died of complications from the coronavirus.

"I've been through a lot, obviously starting out with my mom," Towns said Friday. "Last night I got a call that I lost my uncle. I feel like I've been hardened a little bit by life and humbled."

On March 25, Towns shared an emotional video on Instagram explaining that his mother had been placed on a ventilator and was in a medically induced coma as a result of the virus. Cruz-Towns died April 13 at the age of 58.

"I've seen a lot of coffins in the last seven months," Towns said.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30451080/timberwolves-karl-anthony-towns-says-season-difficult-amid-court-tragedies

Quote:

As Karl-Anthony Towns prepares to begin his sixth season with the Minnesota Timberwolves, he said he also is continuing to process the death of his mother, Jacqueline Cruz-Towns, and six other family members who also died of complications from the coronavirus.

"I've been through a lot, obviously starting out with my mom," Towns said Friday. "Last night I got a call that I lost my uncle. I feel like I've been hardened a little bit by life and humbled."

On March 25, Towns shared an emotional video on Instagram explaining that his mother had been placed on a ventilator and was in a medically induced coma as a result of the virus. Cruz-Towns died April 13 at the age of 58.

"I've seen a lot of coffins in the last seven months," Towns said.

Towns has my respect for life as far as I'm concerned. He's a very good dude and a great player when healthy.

I hope for his sake, he finds some kind of enjoyment this season. He doesn't deserve all the bad stuff that has happened around him.

Man, what I would give to see him and Davis in a Laker uniform together.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

Dwight re: COVID vaccine - "I do not wanna talk about it"

So he took it, but not willingly?
#18 next...
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Dwight re: COVID vaccine - "I do not wanna talk about it"

So he took it, but not willingly?

Pelinka: take the (bleep) vaccine or ill make sure to get all your baby mamas to up their child support rates.

Howard: .....(bleep)! Fine!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 123 of 130
Jump to: