BUBBLE TITLE - ASTERISK OR NOT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DOES THE CORONA CUP TITLE GET AN ASTERISK?
Yes
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
No
82%
 82%  [ 89 ]
Maybe
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 108

Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject:

One of the few worst polls in LG history.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
I don't believe in asterisks in sports but I DO believe in CONTEXT.

Nothing wrong with discussing the details of how championships went down. Each one is different. There's no doubt in my mind that a shortened season plus nearly a half-year long hiatus between regular season and playoffs greatly benefitted a Lakers team with an aging LeBron (who has been injured 2 out of the 3 seasons he's been with the Lakers) and an injury-prone AD as their two best players (not to mention past their prime key contributors like Rondo and Dwight Howard).

I chuckle at the responses on this site though, because I guarantee had the Clippers or, god forbid, the Celtics been champions many of you would be the first to discredit it.

You guaranteeing it, doesn’t make it fact. That’s just your opinion.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject:

It is irrelevant. because IMO, 10 years from the title. no one will care it was a bubble title, just as no one cares about the 1999 title anymore, or any title like that. It is just an argument for the sake of making one, as players like Lebron won titles before and players like AD and Bron, when you team up the best big in the game (at that time) and the best guard, you always end up having a legit shot at a title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

Nothing wrong with discussing the details of how championships went down. Each one is different. There's no doubt in my mind that a shortened season plus nearly a half-year long hiatus between regular season and playoffs greatly benefitted a Lakers team with an aging LeBron (who has been injured 2 out of the 3 seasons he's been with the Lakers) and an injury-prone AD as their two best players (not to mention past their prime key contributors like Rondo and Dwight Howard).

I chuckle at the responses on this site though, because I guarantee had the Clippers or, god forbid, the Celtics been champions many of you would be the first to discredit it.

I agree. Had any other team won it the backlash would be less, especially dog franchises like the clippers. They celebrated like they won a championship (just look at their social media) after winning 2 games in the WCF.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

September doldrums... can't wait for the regular season to start
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

asterisk as " the toughest championship"? sure, i'd vote for that. keep in mind, Lakers were the number 1 seed, and they are the ones that didn't enjoy home court advantage. being locked in a bubble for 3 months can take a toll on your mental health, so i see winning that championship as a real achievement.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject:

No question the 2020 title was different in ways that make it harder to compare to other years. But if you listen to the players across the league, they have generally said it was the most difficult playoffs they have ever been involved in. IMO that is extremely relevant.

There were some benefits over other seasons, fewer regular season games (72), time off before the playoffs, and the lack of travel. But there were also difficulties. Players had restricted access to family, you had the events surrounding the BLM movement, and the mental strain of being confined to the Orlando campus. Those things certainly contributed to the outcome of the playoffs, but they don't make that outcome less valid or valuable than a 'normal' year. The Lakers themselves also had some particular challenges teams don't face in most years. Despite being the #1 seed, they won without home court advantage in any round. Because of the play-in, they didn't know their first round opponent until much later than normal leaving virtually no prep time. As an organization, they were also still grieving the loss of Kobe and his daughter.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject:

Not even close to an asterisk. Unless you mean title under the most difficult circumstances in NBA history.
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject:

Dodged the clips.. I'd say asterisk for sure
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

chrisca91 wrote:
Dodged the clips.. I'd say asterisk for sure

Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject:

No asterisk.

We played with the same circumstances as every other playoff team.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject:

who cares? internet fans?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
who cares? internet fans?

And even they wont care anymore after another year or two.

Of course if a team you hate wins under weird circumstances you talk trash so I don't blame Celtics or Clippers fans saying things but i'm sure the majority of even slightly level headed fans just do it to be annoying and not because they really believe it shouldn't count.

We were pretty much the clear favorites immediately before the stoppage as well after those huge back2back wins we had against the Clippers and Bucks while also having the #1 seed in the WC. If we were trash before the stoppage and then suddenly caught fire in the bubble and won it all then i'd understand complaining a bit more but the best team pre-bubble was also the best team in the bubble.. Surprise, surprise....
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Are you kidding me?

Seriously, it is a huge NO.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

Another thing to mention is that there were ZERO positive tests in the bubble iirc. If anything, this season is more of an asterisk because teams have been missing guys for health and safety protocols.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

at the same time, the Lakers were the hottest team before the suspension, and they looked pretty bad in the first 8 games. on top of that, they lost their HCA
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject:

Bubble titles > bubble losers

i wlll gladly be the Raptors who benefited greatly in in 2019 due to the injuries of KD and Klay
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
No question the 2020 title was different in ways that make it harder to compare to other years. But if you listen to the players across the league, they have generally said it was the most difficult playoffs they have ever been involved in. IMO that is extremely relevant.

some said it was difficult because they said it was like practice and they didn't want to be there. Thats different than say going through a gauntlet of teams.

Vogel and spoelstra were elite in keeping their teams focused.

just look at the bookends of it for us.
Lottery
1st round bounce
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject:

I've been one of the most negative posters about the AD trade and the LBJ influence over the front office... but I think it's a legitimate title.

What I don't like is that people use a title that happened under abnormal conditions as proof we made wise personnel decisions.

So sure, building your team around an old man and an injury prone player is better if they are given a three month vacation in the middle of a season

But they don't get a three month vacation every year... so in that context it isn't.

What's annoying about John Ireland's defense of LBJ is that he acts like LBJ is 28 years old.

If LBJ is 28... all of this makes sense to me... even the AD trade that I've complained about so much.

But he's going to be 38... so it doesn't

But some here like to repeatedly defend our moves in the context of winning a title with a three month vacation to rest LBJ and AD... and signing two future Hall of Famers at minimums when they were still useful players.

This is not a normal reproducible scenario... so one cannot rightly defend the moves when the situation is so flukish and strange.

The title has no asterisk and was completely deserved.

However, the moves should not be justified by using the title because it was not a normal season where you could regularly reproduce that title.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject:

On one hand Lebron has been injured 3 of his 4 years with LA

On the other Lebron capped off eight consecutive Finals without so much as a ding, just 1 season removed from the Bubble season.

Arguments could be made that LeBron and AD were/weren't aided by the break. Either way, there's no asterisk since everyone received the same "assistance".
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:

Arguments could be made that LeBron and AD were/weren't aided by the break".

There is no argument. bron has been injured 3 of the 4 years here when the seasons were close to being normal. the one that wasn't he wasn't.

AD has missed 1/2 season two of the 3 years he's been here. the one time he didn't was the bubble.

I agree. no asterisk. Everyone had same schedule. Its just dishonest to judge bron/ad off that 1 season when we have others to compare it to.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
On one hand Lebron has been injured 3 of his 4 years with LA

On the other Lebron capped off eight consecutive Finals without so much as a ding, just 1 season removed from the Bubble season.

Arguments could be made that LeBron and AD were/weren't aided by the break. Either way, there's no asterisk since everyone received the same "assistance".

If we got rid of Westbrook... signed CP3 and Horford for minimum contracts next season and AD and LBJ got to rest for three months before the playoffs next year.

I'd like our chances to win the title next year.

But they aren't going to get three months rest next season and I don't think we will find Hall of Fame type talent for minimums like we did in 2020.
(And yes, I get Horford isn't a Hall of Fame player... but it would be comparable to our signing of Dwight)

So I think our chances seem bleak at the moment.

It made a huge difference that we had that rest and that we were able to sign two very valuable, skilled players at the minimum.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Not even close to an asterisk. Unless you mean title under the most difficult circumstances in NBA history.

This. So sick of this garbage. What the Lakers did in that awful environment was amazing. They were the best team in regular season and it proved out in Orlando. Just because some teams made fools of themselves (LA our way (bleep) off) means nothing.

Also, don’t ever forget what happened before the pandemic. This franchise got rocked by something awful and the way we responded was exemplary
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Every championship arguably has an "asterisk" next to it. Whether it's genuine or just agenda based, I don't care. The NBA held a playoffs in 2020. It was during a once in a century pandemic, but it was an officially sanctioned championship. There have been strike shortened seasons too, which may have benefitted some older players with less games, but in the scheme of things, no one really remembers.

I mean does the Raptors championship count since Klay/KD were injured? Or how about LBJ having to fight the 73-9 Warriors with KD? Or how about LBJ losing Kyrie and Love? Or go back further. How about Perkins getting hurt in Game 7? Or Lakers not having Bynum/Ariza in 2008? You can go on and on, and it's an argument, but not a fact that the team that won it that year, won it.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Every championship arguably has an "asterisk" next to it. Whether it's genuine or just agenda based, I don't care. The NBA held a playoffs in 2020. It was during a once in a century pandemic, but it was an officially sanctioned championship. There have been strike shortened seasons too, which may have benefitted some older players with less games, but in the scheme of things, no one really remembers.

I mean does the Raptors championship count since Klay/KD were injured? Or how about LBJ having to fight the 73-9 Warriors with KD? Or how about LBJ losing Kyrie and Love? Or go back further. How about Perkins getting hurt in Game 7? Or Lakers not having Bynum/Ariza in 2008? You can go on and on, and it's an argument, but not a fact that the team that won it that year, won it.

this is silly. Historically injuries have decided a lot, but it's accepted. If a team relies on injury-prone players that's on them. Freak accidents also happen or injuries due to age, mileage, low pain tolerance etc.

What isn't normal, which in the truest sense of an outlier was the bubble. The world as a whole has a footnote during that time. So lets not act like its anything close to normal.

Our key players have yet to stay healthy or do anything significant without the bubble.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: