Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
lakerican wrote:
Excellent video by LFR on RW.

rebound & run

Watching this, it seems maybe RW is a smarter player than he seems to be at first glance.

Yes excellent video.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
lakerican wrote:

rebound & run

Watching this, it seems maybe RW is a smarter player than he seems to be at first glance.

Yes excellent video.

I really like the video. I like the idea of rim runner where you have a big run down the floor after the shoot and pass it to him as smaller guards try to guard them (a height mismatch).

AD is one of the best at this. If teams want to play the 3 point game and spread out on the perimeter, that leaves little offensive rebounding. If AD ends up contesting a 3 point shot, he can just run to the other end of the floor after the contest (in which case he probably be nearly halfway after the contest) while LBJ or Westbrook get the rebound and pass it to him.

Little guards trying to stop this don't have much chance. And do it enough and all the sudden it disrupts the other team's 3 point game as long rebounds lead to quick outlets to rim runners. Combine that with all the other things Westbrook and LBJ can do on transition, it can really throw an opponents rhythm off and get them on their "heels." Which I think is also important for 3 point shooting..if the team's rhythm is off, 3 point shots tend to start missing also.

Last edited by lar9149 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject:

I see the argument for Westbrook and his fit with the Lakers and without putting on my purple and gold glasses I would say that the fit is perfect, AD and LeBron needed someone to bring that extra fire from the 3rd banana, not only that but if LeBron is out for a few weeks because of Injury, Westbrook is the perfect guy to help us win without LeBron because he did it without Beal, I won’t be surprised if Westbrook ends up being in MVP talks this season.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
hype wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Westbrook was just fine on defense in Washington. I looked at his game logs. He just needs to keep his man off the foul line — He can do that by funneling into Anthony and Dwight.

Absolutely, I do not expect him to become elite but it's not like he was a horrible defender especially when he had much less offensive responsibilities in his early days in OKC. I recall him being a defensive beast at UCLA and even showed a lot of that in OKC as well.

Like most Superstars that shoulder a big offensive load his defensive output became less and less the more he took on offensively. Now he's going to a situation with us where we don't need or even want him to shoulder a massive load while Bron and AD are in the lineup with him which hopefully causes him to fully buy in with Vogel and spend more energy on the defensive end as well. I think he will surprised a lottttt of people in the upcoming season.

This is obviously still a huge question mark i'm curious to watch as the season progresses but i'm betting on him in this aspect at least.

I would argue we shouldn’t have the delusion that just because a player becomes a Lakers, he would just suddenly change his style of play. Maybe just slight improvement

He doesn't have a choice but to change the way he plays along with Bron at least some if we want to actually win a Championship. I think both are fully capable and willing to at this stage of there career but of course only time will tell how well they do it and mesh together.

Yes, he has to but how much he can change is the question. It is not just about willingness either. If he has been playing with that style for the past 10 years, how much can he change in one offseason?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
lakerican wrote:

rebound & run

Yes excellent video.

I really like the video. I like the idea of rim runner where you have a big run down the floor after the shoot and pass it to him as smaller guards try to guard them (a height mismatch).

AD is one of the best at this. If teams want to play the 3 point game and spread out on the perimeter, that leaves little offensive rebounding. If AD ends up contesting a 3 point shot, he can just run to the other end of the floor after the contest (in which case he probably be nearly halfway after the contest) while LBJ or Westbrook get the rebound and pass it to him.

Little guards trying to stop this don't have much chance. And do it enough and all the sudden it disrupts the other team's 3 point game as long rebounds lead to quick outlets to rim runners. Combine that with all the other things Westbrook and LBJ can do on transition, it can really throw an opponents rhythm off and get them on their "heels." Which I think is also important for 3 point shooting..if the team's rhythm is off, 3 point shots tend to start missing also.

Pete if you're reading this, your narration has improved by leaps and bounds. Glad you're having so much success friend!
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I see the argument for Westbrook and his fit with the Lakers and without putting on my purple and gold glasses I would say that the fit is perfect, AD and LeBron needed someone to bring that extra fire from the 3rd banana, not only that but if LeBron is out for a few weeks because of Injury, Westbrook is the perfect guy to help us win without LeBron because he did it without Beal, I won’t be surprised if Westbrook ends up being in MVP talks this season.

In terms of we need another initiator to carry LBJ’s load, yes RW fits. But his style of play really isn’t.

It doesn’t matter if RW average triple double when LBJ is hurt, if we want to win the championship, it is about how well they perform when they are all on the court.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject:

There’s no advanced stat data for how often Russ makes the bank shot he takes from midrange from the left side is there? I never see him take it from the right side and he seems to hit at a decent clip, but that’s just the eye test. Me curious. Me want data.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
There’s no advanced stat data for how often Russ makes the bank shot he takes from midrange from the left side is there? I never see him take it from the right side and he seems to hit at a decent clip, but that’s just the eye test. Me curious. Me want data.

Not sure if this is what you’re looking for Chief.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/russell-westbrook-shot-chart-2021

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/russell-westbrook-career-shot-chart

https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2019/1112/westbrook2.png

Seems like he favors the right side, but is more successful/efficient from the left side.

Overall tho, it ain’t pretty. The eye test is telling me that his J is more on suiside (no typo) watch.

Nonetheless, I’ll just refocus my attention to this and remain hyped for the possibilities.

https://streamable.com/vddox0
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

Wunderkind wrote:
Sep 13, 2021ReplyRetweetFavorite
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Wunderkind wrote:

kwame bought his mom a house. he won. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be the most openminded of people but oh well. This is how he makes his bread and like ESPN, putting a lakers name in your mouth gets you clicks.

BTW- The comments are hysterical.
"No really, speaking on another man so passionately seems very homosexual"
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Kwame Brown....uh....
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Wunderkind wrote:

He showed more passion and fire in that few seconds about Westbrook's "skirt" then I seen at any point during his entire playing days with the Lakers. That's the saddest thing I got from it all.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

In terms of we need another initiator to carry LBJ’s load, yes RW fits. But his style of play really isn’t.

It doesn’t matter if RW average triple double when LBJ is hurt, if we want to win the championship, it is about how well they perform when they are all on the court.

His style can’t be any worse then what we saw from Dennis Schroeder it should be a major Improvement.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Man that twitter feed from Kwame, that would not be on ESPN unfiltered!

Kwame was a huge draft bust, did better when he became pretty much a defensive center, but for a #1 pick he is among the worst of the past 30 years.

Russ is a different cat - fierce, way too many technical fouls, probably the highest motor in the league career wise of his generation. When you have stats like Oscar Robinson, no guard is anywhere close to him. Kwame ain't in his league by any stretch...

Off the court, he talks a lot, but he is soft spoken, reserved, sort of like Rondo. Considered extremely generous with his money to others. Fashion sense - I think he is what they used to call metrosexual - a straight guy who loves fashion, the arts, wines, etc. , sort of like Steph Curry.

Still I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a dress, to each his own....
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Wunderkind wrote:

He showed more passion and fire in that few seconds about Westbrook's "skirt" then I seen at any point during his entire playing days with the Lakers. That's the saddest thing I got from it all.

I’ll never forget about the story Kobe told about Kwame when during a timeout, Kobe wanted to give Kwame the ball for a certain possession in the game, and Kwame was like “uhhh…no don’t pass it to me please”.

Needless to say, Kobe’s reaction was priceless.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

His style can’t be any worse then what we saw from Dennis Schroeder it should be a major Improvement.

It would still be far from a perfect fit
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

u dont need to be perfect fit to win a championship. Giannis with so many holes just won a chip
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

u dont need to be perfect fit to win a championship. Giannis with so many holes just won a chip

If it wasn’t for Middleton I don’t think Giannis gets a championship, Middleton was huge in that Bucks championship run even more so then Jrue Holiday who they got for a bunch load of picks, there is gonna be nights were Westbrook is playing like the best player on the floor or behind LeBron when Davis is struggling.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I was focusing on the point he said RW is a perfect fit which is far away from reality.

Also, Bucks did assemble a team that fits Giannis's holes so I'm not sure what your point is
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject:

The thing with Westbrook, hoping with Rondo on the team, and then for the first time in his career playing with a big man talent like AD, I would hope he will force less shots up. He needs to adopt more of a TEAM USA role vs the role he has played as the franchise point guard. I think Rondo will be huge for the team in that regard.

Why I say AD and not James, Westbrook has played with elite wings like Paul George and even a MVP level wing like KD in his prime. So he knows how to (piss off and share) with a superstar wing. Now you add a superstar big like AD, and it is a totally different thing all together.

Westbrook will need to alter his game more than any other player, IMO. Essentially he will be in Dennis' role. We have some practice in playing this way. Only hopes are that Westbrook is more effective than Dennis, and in theory should be, as he is a better floor general in terms of pushing the ball, creating kick outs to shooters, or open baskets for bigs under the rim. The downside is he also takes a lot of bad shots while Dennis would just go MIA.

It will come down whether Westbrook adapts to Dennis' role and embraces it with his strengths as a player and makes him more effecient. If he just continues to operate as if he can control the team like he's a franchise point guard, it will not work, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The thing with Westbrook, hoping with Rondo on the team, and then for the first time in his career playing with a big man talent like AD, I would hope he will force less shots up. He needs to adopt more of a TEAM USA role vs the role he has played as the franchise point guard. I think Rondo will be huge for the team in that regard.

Why I say AD and not James, Westbrook has played with elite wings like Paul George and even a MVP level wing like KD in his prime. So he knows how to (piss off and share) with a superstar wing. Now you add a superstar big like AD, and it is a totally different thing all together.

Westbrook will need to alter his game more than any other player, IMO. Essentially he will be in Dennis' role. We have some practice in playing this way. Only hopes are that Westbrook is more effective than Dennis, and in theory should be, as he is a better floor general in terms of pushing the ball, creating kick outs to shooters, or open baskets for bigs under the rim. The downside is he also takes a lot of bad shots while Dennis would just go MIA.

It will come down whether Westbrook adapts to Dennis' role and embraces it with his strengths as a player and makes him more effecient. If he just continues to operate as if he can control the team like he's a franchise point guard, it will not work, IMO.

there is a fine line. I think he will take less shots because there will be less shots, but to neuture his game is not what we want.

His hyper aggressiveness is what is going to save Bron and add something we have missed kobe.

He will always take some bad shots but IMO we live with that if everything else stays the same.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

In Houston he didn't force shots and drove to the basket more. He shot 47% I believe that season. He's a smart man I expect him to pick his shots wisely being on such a talented team.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I forgot to add I don't think.he should play Dennis role. We have to allow Russ to be Russ. Aka running pick and roll etc.. Just no 3 pointers.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if you guys have noticed but his shooting form during work outs is different it looks like he changed it, Nash didn’t become a good shooter until his 30’s maybe the Lakers training staff can work there magic with Russ.
dj1337
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Not sure if you guys have noticed but his shooting form during work outs is different it looks like he changed it, Nash didn’t become a good shooter until his 30’s maybe the Lakers training staff can work there magic with Russ.

Thats not true, nash was always about 40% from 3 every season, go look at his stats.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 42 of 426
Jump to: