Kenneth Faried working out for Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

Meh on Faried at this stage. He would have been great 8 years ago.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

Now that I have time to digest the reasoning to the Faried tryout, I feel we need a PF more than SF type player.

We are old and injuries is highly probable this season so time management will be critical. So we need to look at scenario that could happen this season with the current roster.

Our most flexible player is LBJ which can play all position.
AD is the most critical player since we have limited option at his position.
SF although looks thin also is easily supplemented by playin a 3 guard lineup.

Our 2 way players are both G and SF which can step in if needed, but we actually thin at PF. If AD is out you still want a physical presence, pick and roll, energy, activity and vertical threat in the team and Faried seems like a fit for that.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

There is just too much redundancy and the Lakers will get exposed vs. a lot by these really good to elite wings.

But the solution to this is James Ennis, a guy who isn't employed in the NBA currently by any other team?

It seems to me that to check an elite wing you need to be an elite wing defender. I am 99% certain all players who fit this bill are currently under contract with other teams. Plugging the hole with a journeyman isn't doing much.

Also, why is it that the Lakers need to have an elite counter to every position? Why don't teams need to worry about countering the Lakers? How many teams have a physical equivalent of Lebron to check the Lakers? Or a physical equivalent of AD? Or a physical equivalent of Russ?

There are always going to be mismatches and it's up to the coaching staff to exploit those in the team's favor. All this angst over what unemployed NBA player who will take the 15th roster spot and collect DNPs in order to cover some ostensible weakness is a waste of energy.

I will gladly stand corrected if they sign Ennis and he winds up being a 20+ mpg defensive 3 and D wing. Great. But probably not going to happen.

As for Faried, again, I fail to understand any angst over this. They could be working him out as a favor to an agent or something. They worked out IT and I doubt they really had any intention of signing him. Maybe the dude is friend's with a player on the Lakers and they're doing at as a favor to a player. Maybe he's not working out for a spot on the team, but he's just in the neighborhood and wanted to stop by and work out with the guys and someone misinterpreted that as a work out. In any case, I think it is fair to say that the roster is set at this point barring any mid-season trades or buyouts that emerge, and anyone they sign for the last roster spot is going to be in street clothes most of the time. If management and coaching perceived the same glaring hole(s) as most fans then it stands to reason they would have addressed them earlier in free agency when good players were still available. Either they attempted to get those guys then and failed or they're confident with what they have.

Anyway, someone will have to remind me the last time that a team signed a guy who was unemployed going into training camp and passed on by every other team and then that guy played a major role in the team winning a championship. I don't think it has ever happened.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

... that's what George Karl would say (who was coaching Faried around then)
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject:

Looks a guy willing to fit hit role on the team.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Anyway, someone will have to remind me the last time that a team signed a guy who was unemployed going into training camp and passed on by every other team and then that guy played a major role in the team winning a championship. I don't think it has ever happened.

Really good question. I think you need to increase the difficulty by 10x and qualify it with the following "his initials must start with DH".

Back to Faried, he was never a twitchy athlete but he was above average in most aspects but in the summer league he appeared to have lost some of his athleticism. It was noticeable in his vertical and maybe it was tired legs which will correct itself with conditioning.

However it might be worth giving him a roster spot just to see the mannimal matched up against Blake Griffin this coming season. Not by any means a dirty player but he always relied on being physical as part of his game.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
We need a Markieff Morris replacement - someone who could guard big wings, maybe play some small-ball 5 if needed, and can stretch the D a little. Other than small-ball 5, Faried does NONE of those things.

I'm really starting to think getting both Nunn and Monk was a bad idea. Redundant skill-sets - outside shooting, driving on closeouts, energy and transition play, limited playmaking - are eating up a roster spot and keeping us from properly replacing what we've lost in trades and FA defections. We can't rely solely on 6-4 and under guys with long wingspans to handle all our perimeter D.

He was hitting 3s in Houston
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject:

There is a argument for DeAndre Jordan helping a contender but Faried has none.. and that shooting form is horrid, if we want a stretch 4/5 we should wait until December when THT would be eligible to be traded.. I think this so called work out was set up by Faried and his agent to boost his value, this is just another way of the Lakers FO building relationships with agents.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
There is a argument for DeAndre Jordan helping a contender but Faried has none.. and that shooting form is horrid, if we want a stretch 4/5 we should wait until December when THT would be eligible to be traded.. I think this so called work out was set up by Faried and his agent to boost his value, this is just another way of the Lakers FO building relationships with agents.

Two questions Why would they make that type of investment for a stretch 5/4 when they have AD? What team.wanted DAJ besides the Lakers?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Two questions Why would they make that type of investment for a stretch 5/4 when they have AD? What team.wanted DAJ besides the Lakers?

I would look to trade for Kelly Olynyk during the season he would give us a very solid stretch 4, Vogel can also help install some defense in his game, as for DeAndre Jordan, he was recruited by the big 3 he wasn’t gonna go anywhere else when he was wanted by the Lakers team, just like Carmelo, he told Chris Haynes that he was interested in Philly but the recruitment efforts by LeBron and others were to much to pass up, maybe at some point we will hear that the Clippers or another team had interest in Jordan.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
alleyoop wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
We need a Markieff Morris replacement - someone who could guard big wings, maybe play some small-ball 5 if needed, and can stretch the D a little. Other than small-ball 5, Faried does NONE of those things.

I'm really starting to think getting both Nunn and Monk was a bad idea. Redundant skill-sets - outside shooting, driving on closeouts, energy and transition play, limited playmaking - are eating up a roster spot and keeping us from properly replacing what we've lost in trades and FA defections. We can't rely solely on 6-4 and under guys with long wingspans to handle all our perimeter D.

Agree completely with the first half of your post. Disagree completely on the second half, though, Nunn in particular I think has an extremely relevant skillset for what we need

After losing multiple guards who had a defensive edge to them, I'm actually more partial to Nunn than Monk right now. It's just that we are really lacking in a backup defensive 4 (and maybe a backup defensive big 3 if Ariza's ability takes a dive) that it would've been nice if we addressed that aspect of the team's roster over the astonishing number of 6'4" and unders we have on the squad. From the official NBA site:

Westbrook - 6'4"
Bazemore - 6'4"
Ellington - 6'4"
Horton-Tucker - 6'4"
Wes Matthews- 6'4" (unconfirmed roster spot)
Monk- 6'3"
Nunn - 6'2"
Rondo - 6'1"

Isn't that a defensive imbalance concern based on a sheer lack of size alone? This bothers me more than our average age. We are more sufficient at the other end of the size scale (centers), but the defensive mid-sized player off the bench is in need of improvement.

Seeing some 6'7, 6'8 would make me feel better. Is Jimmy butler and Siakam available?

Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I would look to trade for Kelly Olynyk during the season he would give us a very solid stretch 4, Vogel can also help install some defense in his game, as for DeAndre Jordan, he was recruited by the big 3 he wasn’t gonna go anywhere else when he was wanted by the Lakers team, just like Carmelo, he told Chris Haynes that he was interested in Philly but the recruitment efforts by LeBron and others were to much to pass up, maybe at some point we will hear that the Clippers or another team had interest in Jordan.

You side stepped both questions
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
alleyoop wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

Agree completely with the first half of your post. Disagree completely on the second half, though, Nunn in particular I think has an extremely relevant skillset for what we need

After losing multiple guards who had a defensive edge to them, I'm actually more partial to Nunn than Monk right now. It's just that we are really lacking in a backup defensive 4 (and maybe a backup defensive big 3 if Ariza's ability takes a dive) that it would've been nice if we addressed that aspect of the team's roster over the astonishing number of 6'4" and unders we have on the squad. From the official NBA site:

Westbrook - 6'4"
Bazemore - 6'4"
Ellington - 6'4"
Horton-Tucker - 6'4"
Wes Matthews- 6'4" (unconfirmed roster spot)
Monk- 6'3"
Nunn - 6'2"
Rondo - 6'1"

Isn't that a defensive imbalance concern based on a sheer lack of size alone? This bothers me more than our average age. We are more sufficient at the other end of the size scale (centers), but the defensive mid-sized player off the bench is in need of improvement.

Exactly why we 6'8" Faried is better suited IMO.

LBJ 6-9
Ariza 6-8 really a SF not a banger
AD 6-10
Melo 6-7 really a SF not a banger

Having RW, THT, Baze, Ellington, Monk and Nunn combo as a switchable 3 guard lineup is much more wokable than expecting Melo or Ariza to bang with the bigger PF when AD or LBJ are out. Faried can supply that needed muscle we will lose.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

It’s really hard to gauge what kind of approach or under the line thinking someone has in a post so sorry if I misunderstood, if you are saying if Kenneth Faried is worth the 4/5 investment the answer is no, he hasn’t played in the NBA for a few years and I don’t think it’s worth the investment unless we get word that he’s killing it in workouts.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

It’s really hard to gauge what kind of approach or under the line thinking someone has in a post so sorry if I misunderstood, if you are saying if Kenneth Faried is worth the 4/5 investment the answer is no, he hasn’t played in the NBA for a few years and I don’t think it’s worth the investment unless we get word that he’s killing it in workouts.

My two questions was simple you failed to answer both. I don't know why you're struggling to answer them.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

My two questions was simple you failed to answer both. I don't know why you're struggling to answer them.

Okay let me see if this is right, you are suggesting that trading THT for a stretch 4/5 isn’t worth it?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Okay let me see if this is right, you are suggesting that trading THT for a stretch 4/5 isn’t worth it?

This discussion is over I'm not letting you drag me into alley.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Sorry if I upset you, you know we are bros
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Sorry if I upset you, you know we are bros

I'm not upset I'm just not gonna let you get me to that point. So I'm moving on from the discussion good night friend
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Montrezl Harrell’s grandfather.

No thanks.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject:

I remember this scrub terrorizing us during the first round series against Denver in 2011-2012. Unfortunately for him, that was ten years ago.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Montrezl Harrell’s grandfather.

No thanks.

King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I remember this scrub terrorizing us during the first round series against Denver in 2011-2012. Unfortunately for him, that was ten years ago.

This scrub is getting a second work-out....not saying he's worth anything myself but he did enough to get himself another work out.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject:

I haven’t seen Faried play in a while but from what I know the difference between him and Harrell is that he has more bounce in his game, not sure how his defense is, but if the Lakers sign him it must mean he can add something to this team.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Werd.

Hasn’t he been playing in China? When was the last time he played in the league? I mean this isn’t devastating but it’s definitely weird to me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: