Can the Lakers compete with BKN in the Finals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

Even Though he is older, Who has been more durable in their careers, KD or Bron?

Who has been in better shape in their careers, Russ or Harden? and Didn't Russ just average another trip dub last year, his 4th in 5 years?

While AD has been injured a lot, so has Kyrie and Kyrie has had more serious injuries and AD is a year younger.

Please explain to me how Brooklyn is closer to their peak than the Lakers?

Harden is at his absolute peak right now and Westbrook is well past it. I agree with you on the other two though.

Let's see what happens with these new rule changes, though. They were designed specifically with Harden (and Trae) in mind. Also, the dude does not take good care of himself and 32 is a classic age where age catches up to players--especially those that don't manage their health. I could see Harden taking a step back this year.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

Even Though he is older, Who has been more durable in their careers, KD or Bron?

Who has been in better shape in their careers, Russ or Harden? and Didn't Russ just average another trip dub last year, his 4th in 5 years?

While AD has been injured a lot, so has Kyrie and Kyrie has had more serious injuries and AD is a year younger.

Harden is at his absolute peak right now and Westbrook is well past it. I agree with you on the other two though.

Let's see what happens with these new rule changes, though. They were designed specifically with Harden (and Trae) in mind. Also, the dude does not take good care of himself and 32 is a classic age where age catches up to players--especially those that don't manage their health. I could see Harden taking a step back this year.

Watch when Russ takes off his jersey. Is there a PG more cut up?

BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

Harden has an old-man's game. His shooting, finishing ability, IQ, playmaking, off-the-dribble scoring and ball-handling aren't going anywhere. Even if he doesn't average ten free throws again and his production dips he's still going to be a 27/6/10 type of player on great efficiency. Dude was averaging 35 points a game a couple seasons ago.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
hype wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

I have no doubt the Nets can beat us by hitting lots of outside jumpers. When playing against the Nets, it is more important to have the fast footsteps to close out the outside shooters and have perimeter defenders against their stars which we lack.

Fair point. That's why some of us have been clamoring for the Lakers to get an active, athletic 3-and-D SF, either now or at some point during the season, so that we have the mobility to close out on the Nets' outside shooters.
Quote:

Our transition offense might be better but it is also not difficult to stop. The Nets will tend to play small so they can recovered quickly if their strategy is to not fighting for offensive rebounds.

Not sure if our transition offense won't be difficult to stop. With LeBron and Russ (and even Rondo) pushing the pace and guys like Monk, Nunn, THT, AD, Bazemore, etc. finishing, I think we'll probably be the best running team in the league. The Nets will probably also be a great running team themselves, but by winning the rebounding battle and playing good halfcourt defense, I think our transition game can outshine theirs.
Quote:

The defensive scheme to play against this Lakers team is to pack the paint and double team AD when he is in the low lost. If we can hit 3 points shot, no team can stop us, if we don’t, we lose.

Yes, it will be. Agree fully with this snippet. We need to shoot no worse than league average from downtown.

They were close to league average last season, though personnel has changed. The Lakers were 12th in made 3 pointers last season.

Why would you use 3 pointers made as an argument to try and say the Lakers were average? They were that high because teams left them open regularly and packed the paint. It's actually kind of sad if anything they were only that high when teams consistently were giving them wide open looks and considered it a win when they took those shots.

Percentage was pretty awful from the core players..

worst...

AD -26%
THT = 28%
Morris = 31% and went on to have an end of the season slump thats legitimately impressive by how bad it was.
Dennis = 33%

Our best 3pt% shooters

McKinnie was #1 but hardly played so I don't even count that
Gasol = 41%
KCP = 41% Either an absolute dead eye elite shooter or horrific, you never know for sure who is coming to play (his average dropped nearly half at 21% in the Playoffs).
Caruso = 40% fantastic start to the season only to be somewhere between average to really bad the second half and into the Playoffs.
Cook = Also hardly played

Then you had McLemore, Kuz and Bron all right at league average for the season.

Only time will tell if we improved for sure but last years team def. padded there 3 point stats early in the season and the majority of them either stayed average/bad or fell off a cliff to end the season and going into the Playoffs. I watched every game last season and the team playing at the end of the season and into the Playoffs were def. nowhere remotely close to middle of the pack worthy regardless of what the full season data shows.

We averaged under 30% in the Playoffs from 3 as a team and that includes Gasol's 64% which actually skews it to be much higher then how bad it really was.. Purely pathetic as a team and goes way beyond the bad injury luck. Gasol & Bron were pretty much the only ones who weren't embarrassingly bad in the Post season.

Because made 3 pointers are points scored. Average isn’t.

ah ic, well there is some massive gray area going on there and it doesn't really prove they were a middle of the pack 3 point shooting in the slightest when you look at the entire picture. You're the first person i've seen that described the Lakers overall 3 point shooting last season as anything better then "pathetic". Are you sure you're not getting the Lakers mixed up with the Clippers in that regard?
Maginka
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Who guards AD?

Who guards Harden?

Assuming Russ on Kyrie and LBJ on Durant and vice versa
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
hype wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

I have no doubt the Nets can beat us by hitting lots of outside jumpers. When playing against the Nets, it is more important to have the fast footsteps to close out the outside shooters and have perimeter defenders against their stars which we lack.

Fair point. That's why some of us have been clamoring for the Lakers to get an active, athletic 3-and-D SF, either now or at some point during the season, so that we have the mobility to close out on the Nets' outside shooters.
Quote:

Our transition offense might be better but it is also not difficult to stop. The Nets will tend to play small so they can recovered quickly if their strategy is to not fighting for offensive rebounds.

Not sure if our transition offense won't be difficult to stop. With LeBron and Russ (and even Rondo) pushing the pace and guys like Monk, Nunn, THT, AD, Bazemore, etc. finishing, I think we'll probably be the best running team in the league. The Nets will probably also be a great running team themselves, but by winning the rebounding battle and playing good halfcourt defense, I think our transition game can outshine theirs.
Quote:

The defensive scheme to play against this Lakers team is to pack the paint and double team AD when he is in the low lost. If we can hit 3 points shot, no team can stop us, if we don’t, we lose.

Yes, it will be. Agree fully with this snippet. We need to shoot no worse than league average from downtown.

They were close to league average last season, though personnel has changed. The Lakers were 12th in made 3 pointers last season.

Why would you use 3 pointers made as an argument to try and say the Lakers were average? They were that high because teams left them open regularly and packed the paint. It's actually kind of sad if anything they were only that high when teams consistently were giving them wide open looks and considered it a win when they took those shots.

worst...

AD -26%
THT = 28%
Morris = 31% and went on to have an end of the season slump thats legitimately impressive by how bad it was.
Dennis = 33%

Our best 3pt% shooters

Gasol = 41%
KCP = 41% Either an absolute dead eye elite shooter or horrific, you never know for sure who is coming to play (his average dropped nearly half at 21% in the Playoffs).
Caruso = 40% fantastic start to the season only to be somewhere between average to really bad the second half and into the Playoffs.

Only time will tell if we improved for sure but last years team def. padded there 3 point stats early in the season and the majority of them either stayed average/bad or fell off a cliff to end the season and going into the Playoffs. I watched every game last season and the team playing at the end of the season and into the Playoffs were def. nowhere remotely close to middle of the pack worthy regardless of what the full season data shows.

We averaged under 30% in the Playoffs from 3 as a team and that includes Gasol's 64% which actually skews it to be much higher then how bad it really was.. Purely pathetic as a team and goes way beyond the bad injury luck. Gasol & Bron were pretty much the only ones who weren't embarrassingly bad in the Post season.

ah ic, well there is some massive gray area going on there and it doesn't really prove they were a middle of the pack 3 point shooting in the slightest when you look at the entire picture. You're the first person i've seen that described the Lakers overall 3 point shooting last season as anything better then "pathetic". Are you sure you're not getting the Lakers mixed up with the Clippers in that regard?

The Clippers were top 5. In fact, the final four teams in the playoffs were top 5.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
hype wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
hype wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

worst...

AD -26%
THT = 28%
Dennis = 33%

Our best 3pt% shooters

Gasol = 41%

The Clippers were top 5. In fact, the final four teams in the playoffs were top 5.

whooooosh
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject:

LBJ, AD and WB have game that depends on physicality. where as KD, JH and KI rely on skill and finesse. Its waste of time to compare age.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
LBJ, AD and WB have game that depends on physicality. where as KD, JH and KI rely on skill and finesse. Its waste of time to compare age.

AD's game depends on physicality? Since when?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

AD's game depends on physicality? Since when?

AD and Harden are a mix of physical and finess
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Maginka wrote:
Who guards AD?

Who guards Harden?

They have no matchup for AD but they will just double team AD and dare someone to shoot 3s. So focusing on which individual player they will use to defend AD is not that relevant.

Why not AD on KD?
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

Just look at the playoff performance last year, can you not tell which of KD or LBJ was closer to their peak? I would say this is the difference maker
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

Just look at the playoff performance last year, can you not tell which of KD or LBJ was closer to their peak? I would say this is the difference maker

Not really comparable since Bron was clearly playing hurt while KD was healthy and EXTREMELY rested after missing so much time.

Around half a year or so before that Bron was beasting through the Playoffs and winning yet another ring.

I'm sure both teams will be resting KD and Bron throughout the long season so we'll see how they look once the Playoffs start but there's plenty of question marks health wise for KD now as well, it's far from one sided.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

Not really comparable since Bron was clearly playing hurt while KD was healthy and EXTREMELY rested after missing so much time.

Around half a year or so before that Bron was beasting through the Playoffs and winning yet another ring.

I'm sure both teams will be resting KD and Bron throughout the long season so we'll see how they look once the Playoffs start but there's plenty of question marks health wise for KD now as well, it's far from one sided.

yeah, Bron was beasting through injured Miami where as KD was carrying Injured Nets team
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

But that’s durability. How many times have you heard LBJ’s performance has affected by injury while he was playing for the Cavs and how often do you hear it after he becomes a Lakers? This is a sign of aging and further away from his peak.

Yes, KD had a serious injury that cost him more than one year of recovery but he has shown to be one of the most dominant player in the playoff. That makes people more optimistic about his health. His style of play doesn’t rely too much of explosiveness.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
hype wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

But that’s durability. How many times have you heard LBJ’s performance has affected by injury while he was playing for the Cavs and how often do you hear it after he becomes a Lakers? This is a sign of aging and further away from his peak.

Yes, KD had a serious injury that cost him more than one year of recovery but he has shown to be one of the most dominant player in the playoff. That makes people more optimistic about his health. His style of play doesn’t rely too much of explosiveness.

It is so hard to compare IMO..LBJ last injury a player went through his leg and it seems not to do with age..just bad luck. You can argue that he would have healed faster if he was younger, but high ankle sprains take a lot of time to heal.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
hype wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

It is so hard to compare IMO..LBJ last injury a player went through his leg and it seems not to do with age..just bad luck. You can argue that he would have healed faster if he was younger, but high ankle sprains take a lot of time to heal.

Yeah, i'm not buying that KD is suddenly fine just because his game does not rely on athleticism. This is an injury that took him 552 days until he declared ‘I Feel Like A Player Again’. His serious injuries are beginning to pile up a bit for only being 32.

In 2014-15 he had to have surgery on his right foot due to pain which resulted in even more pain afterwards causing him to get bone graft surgery to finally fix it.

in 2017, he had a Grade 2 MCL sprain and tibial bone bruise in his left knee after Zaza fell into him.

Then after a few years of mostly clean health playing for the loaded Warriors he had the strained calf in the 2019 Playoffs and we all know what happened when he returned too early from that.

Sure, Lebron is older but the injuries being held against him are a high ankle sprain which would have caused anyone to miss games due to a guy falling into your legs unexpectedly which coincidentally also happened to Durant in a similar fashion and caused a worse injury. Then his groin sprain is the most "serious" injury which was from the 2019 season and this is also the only injury he sustained since being here that might have been due to age and mileage imo.

I get that Bron has looked a bit more "mortal" the last few seasons overall compared to his earlier career but that's also why he has so much playmaking help and depth this year. I'm not seeing someone who is falling apart due to being older at all. I think he can absolutely still be right up there as a top 3-5 player this upcoming season.

I get Durant being the pick since he just absolutely balled out in the Playoffs after missing nearly 2 entire years and only being 32 but he's about to have to go back to playing a full 82 game season and then Playoffs where he'll have to play heavy minutes with minimal rest. The Nets can win still against most teams without 1 of Harden or Kyrie but Durant has to be there like us with AD.

There's plenty of valid concern for both players is what i'm saying though. Durant is younger and more finesse but his injury history is drastically worse and that could come back to start haunting him sooner then later.. Just like how people continue to wait and see Brady fall off the cliff because of his age I have a feeling the same thing will happen for Bron. Only time will tell though.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

Maginka wrote:
Who guards AD?

Who guards Harden?

Brooklyn probably swarms Davis the moment he gets the ball in the post by helping off Westbrook. They'll defend Westbrook the same way LA and Philly did the last two post-seasons, dare him to shoot 3's which we know he's eager to take.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Man, the Nets just gobbled up the available vets. How does this lineup shake out:

Guards: Harden, Irving, Patty Mills, Cam Thomas, Bembry, Carter
Wings: KD, Brown, Harris, Sekou, James Johnson
Bigs: Millsap, Sharpe, Griffin, Claxton, Aldridge

There have to be some unhappy folks in that rotation...
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

Replace kd with bron last year and nets move one. Kd lost at home with 2 game lead
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Two weeks before the Nets get hit by the freight train that is the Lakers
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Especially if both teams choose to play fast, could be one heck of a finals, like the 80's Lakers finals years.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Man, the Nets just gobbled up the available vets. How does this lineup shake out:

Guards: Harden, Irving, Patty Mills, Cam Thomas, Bembry, Carter
Wings: KD, Brown, Harris, Sekou, James Johnson
Bigs: Millsap, Sharpe, Griffin, Claxton, Aldridge

There have to be some unhappy folks in that rotation...

They can have all those except Patty Mills, he could cause problems for us, or anyone...
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Maginka wrote:
Who guards AD?

Who guards Harden?

Brooklyn probably swarms Davis the moment he gets the ball in the post by helping off Westbrook. They'll defend Westbrook the same way LA and Philly did the last two post-seasons, dare him to shoot 3's which we know he's eager to take.
The "double" will be much shorter than AD, hence AD will shoot over him. When the double-team comes, Westbrook will go to the FT Line extended for a mid-range shot.

Simple Basketball 101
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Just a detail I thought was interesting…

There are eight active players who have won the regular season MVP: One time winners Jokic, Harden, Westbrook, Durant and Rose, and multi-time winners Giannis (2), Curry (2) and LeBron (4).

There are five active players who have won Finals MVP: Giannis (1), LeBron (4), Kawhi (2), Durant (2) and Iguodala (1).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 69 of 73
Jump to: