Who starts at Center - Dwight or DeAndre?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who Starts at Center during the Regular Season?
Dwight Howard
48%
 48%  [ 22 ]
DeAndre Jordan
51%
 51%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 45

TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject:

All I can say is, I hope DJ can do a better job convincing me he's a capable basketball player than his fans can, judging from posts on this thread.

That lowlight reel omg...
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
All I can say is, I hope DJ can do a better job convincing me he's a capable basketball player than his fans can, judging from posts on this thread.

Lol what we need from him is defense. He’s thinking he’s gonna come here and be an offensive option lol
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject:

If I had to predict right now.

Our best center? I'm guessing AD wants to spend the season primarily playing the 4 spot. So AD won't start.

Our second best center? DH is a foul magnet and we need him in the second half when intensity finally shows up in these regular season games. He is a solid defender and a benefit to this team, but only if he can stay on the floor with a foul or two left when we need his defense most, even if that's late Q4. So it's not DH.

That means, we start DJ and try not to get abused.

The fact that he was benched in the playoffs is concerning. At best absurdly stupid game planning, at worst it's because DJ really is that bad and didn't give his coach a choice. So far the pessimists on this thread are far more convincing, I'm hoping DJ shows up motivated somehow and proves otherwise.

We'll find out soon enough.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Sort of like the beer commercial, I don’t always drink beer, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis!

When We choose to play a traditional big, we play ……

If DJ is in shape and plays well, we likely go that way.

Only because I think Howard is elite as a backup and will dominate secondary centers off the bench. But if DJ sucks, Howard May win the starting position.

It I really hope we are flexible, when we play teams like Golden State or others without a strong big man in the middle, we should play more AD at center.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGxkd_3SXgw

Still leaps very high, he’s gonna eat on the alley loops by Russ/LeBron/Rondo just by those 3 connecting with him on lobs he’s gonna have additional points.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Lol what we need from him is defense. He’s thinking he’s gonna come here and be an offensive option lol

I did not see him talk at all like someone who thinks he will be a big time scorer on offense. He said it very clearly, to play his niche. Which is to rebound, block shots, finish plays at the basket. There will be games where those easy baskets around the rim will be there. Others not. What we need from him is 15 minutes of high energy each game. He still has elite size and can block shots and board. Not expecting great things, but I do believe he can be solid in two 6-7 minute stretches.

I find most of the frustration here is that we want a 3 point shooter at the 5, but the Lakers feel more comfortable with a lob threat at the 5. Vogel is a coach that wants his teams playing physical and beating up teams.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I find most of the frustration here is that we want a 3 point shooter at the 5, but the Lakers feel more comfortable with a lob threat at the 5. Vogel is a coach that wants his teams playing physical and beating up teams.

I don't have issues with the dominant philosophy being power/verticality. However, as it currently stands (and who knows, things may change), the team is taking that philosophy to the max
What they're saying is: we will rely on AD to space the floor from the 5, and for the roughly 15 minutes AD is on the bench we will rely exclusively on the power/lob game - irrespective of how the other team chooses to attack us.

Risk-averse people like me prefer having options so as to try a different approach/style when nothing else is working against certain teams - especially for the scenario where AD is unavailable. After last season I had somewhat resigned myself to AD just not being rugged enough for a full season at the 5 - hopefully he proves me wrong this season.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject:

As it stands today, Jordan is the likely starter. Simple.

Then Howard comes in for his antics. Together they add up to 35 to (maybe) 40 mpg. Leaving Davis to play the additional mpg.

It will be interesting to see the rotation options when either Howard or Jordan miss time to injury or foul trouble. Davis being out creates a whole new mess.

For all the discussion of Davis playing the 5, I’m just not seeing it. The man wants no part of consistent center play. His skillset and mentality is as an athletic PF. A perimeter player that spreads the floor and uses his athleticism to abuse a any C/ PF willing to challenge him in space.

Problem for the Lakers is they do not have a replacement for Morris to do the grind work in the paint in those mins. Not seeing James or Melo battling in the paint consistently.

Still think they need to add another big to share those mpg. Especially on nights Howard and Jordan are limited or out. IMO Davis is not it.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

<snip>
For all the discussion of Davis playing the 5, I’m just not seeing it. The man wants no part of consistent center play. His skillset and mentality is as an athletic PF. A perimeter player that spreads the floor and uses his athleticism to abuse a any C/ PF willing to challenge him in space.

Problem for the Lakers is they do not have a replacement for Morris to do the grind work in the paint in those mins. Not seeing James or Melo battling in the paint consistently.

Still think they need to add another big to share those mpg. Especially on nights Howard and Jordan are limited or out. IMO Davis is not it.

Yes I've been feeling the same way for a while. There is an overall big deficit due to the loss of both Kieff & Gasol, Melo doesn't quite makeup for it, he brings better shooting but less physical play and mobility as compared to Kieff.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: