We have a $2.6M Trade Exception

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: We have a $2.6M Trade Exception

https://twitter.com/ericpincus/status/1436399594561159170?s=21

Quote:
Lakers will get a $2,692,991 trade exception for Marc that can take in up to $2,792,991 in salary. That exception will last a year from the actual date of the trade (slightly less than a year technically)

joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

I asked this in the general thread...

Someone describe a scenario in which we could realistically use the new trade exception created by the Gasol deal:

~ It's only for $2.7 million
~ We can't use it on Ennis or any other FA... it has to be used in a trade
~ That also means it can't be used if someone is bought out
~ It expires in a year or so according to Pincus

So the only way it has value for us is to use it this season to fill an empty roster spot. There are two spaces left, right? If Ennis or some other FA comes over for one of them, we'd have to trade for some other team's minimum wager for the last one if the exception is to be used.

Is it possible to get an impact player of any value that way this season?
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

The chances of getting an impact player for that little of a salary is very slim since most players at that salary are either fringe players, or ring-chasing vets. It's still an asset at Rob's disposal, though.

I think the chances the trade exception gets used is less than not being used, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it useless. A team can decide they have nothing to play for and look to clear salary for tax savings, or maybe there's a player who was thought to have a bigger role, but has fallen out of the rotation.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
The chances of getting an impact player for that little of a salary is very slim since most players at that salary are either fringe players, or ring-chasing vets. It's still an asset at Rob's disposal, though.

I think the chances the trade exception gets used is less than not being used, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it useless. A team can decide they have nothing to play for and look to clear salary for tax savings, or maybe there's a player who was thought to have a bigger role, but has fallen out of the rotation.

Celtics have been generating large exceptions in recent seasons without even using it, if someone gets bought out its possible we can fit in a really quality player with that exception.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:

Someone describe a scenario in which we could realistically use the new trade exception created by the Gasol deal:

So the only way it has value for us is to use it this season to fill an empty roster spot. There are two spaces left, right? If Ennis or some other FA comes over for one of them, we'd have to trade for some other team's minimum wager for the last one if the exception is to be used.

TPEs for this amount are of little value and virtually always expire unused.

The Gasol trade is about saving money, nothing more.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:

Celtics have been generating large exceptions in recent seasons without even using it, if someone gets bought out its possible we can fit in a really quality player with that exception.

TPE's aren't/can't be used on players that are bought out. It's simply for trades, and it can't be combined or aggregated with salary. So yes, the likelihood it gets used is quite small, but not necessarily zero.

I think the only scenario it gets used is for a non-rotational player on a team who either needs tax relief, or is trading a vet on a team where they're not contending and giving the playing time to young guys to evaluate.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Yes, it was engineered that way.
Everyone got what they wanted, Gasol got out without giving up money, the Lakers saved $10m, Memphis got a second rounder plus cash plus their hall-of-famer.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
We use the TPE, however, on players that are on existing contracts. This is how we can use it towards a player on waivers, before they clear it and become unrestricted FAs again.

Also fyi, any player on a 1-2yr vet min deal can be traded for with a vet min exception. So the TPE only really has an advantage if we use it on a player that is on a vet min type scale (up to 2.8m) that is on a 3+ year deal. We wound not be a lie to use vet min exceptions to acquire that type of lengthy contract, but our TPE allows us to do so.

However, that begs the question, why would a team trade such a team friendly contract unless they are heavily compensated for it. The only other scenario is if a team avoids to the tax line of 136.6m by getting off of a vet min deal.

My best guess is that this TPE goes unused.

As mentioned in the FA thread...
Folks shouldn't expect much from that TPE.
πŸ’œπŸ’› πŸ† πŸ‘€ πŸ– #18!!!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
We use the TPE, however, on players that are on existing contracts. This is how we can use it towards a player on waivers, before they clear it and become unrestricted FAs again.

Also fyi, any player on a 1-2yr vet min deal can be traded for with a vet min exception. So the TPE only really has an advantage if we use it on a player that is on a vet min type scale (up to 2.8m) that is on a 3+ year deal. We wound not be a lie to use vet min exceptions to acquire that type of lengthy contract, but our TPE allows us to do so.

However, that begs the question, why would a team trade such a team friendly contract unless they are heavily compensated for it. The only other scenario is if a team avoids to the tax line of 136.6m by getting off of a vet min deal.

It would have been slightly more valuable an asset if we attached McKinnie (instead of waiving him) to Gasol in the salary dump. This way it becomes a 4.6m TPE that coukd bring back as much as 4.7m in salary, which is 2m more than the 10+ seasoned vet min of 2.7m.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
epic_ wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

It would have been slightly more valuable an asset if we attached McKinnie (instead of waiving him) to Gasol in the salary dump. This way it becomes a 4.6m TPE that coukd bring back as much as 4.7m in salary, which is 2m more than the 10+ seasoned vet min of 2.7m.

Sure.
But did Memphis want to partake in that? Or is Memphis partly doing this deal for a farewell to Gasol? Did Memphis have a open roster spot to take Alf?
πŸ’œπŸ’› πŸ† πŸ‘€ πŸ– #18!!!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Epic: including their training camp deal for Pons, Memphis is sitting on 19 players and they can have up to 20 on the roster during the offseason.

Their pending 1 for 2 trade w/Boston (Hernangomez for Dunn/Edwards) can’t take place till the 15th at which point they will need to have players waived to roster the max of 20 players. They will waive Marc, bringing the roster to 18 before the Boston deal. After the Boston deal, they will roster 19.

So adding McK would have put them at the max if 20 before they had to start cutting it down to 15 before the regular season starts.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
activeverb wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Everyone got what they wanted, Gasol got out without giving up money, the Lakers saved $10m, Memphis got a second rounder plus cash plus their hall-of-famer.

Sure, I know all that. I was just explaining to the person who is fantacizing the TPE has value.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
activeverb wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Sure, I know all that. I was just explaining to the person who is fantacizing the TPE has value.

Also to piggy back on what AV said, Philly just had a 8.2m TPE expire the other day and they had articles come out (as damage control) to explain to fans why the Sixers FO chose not to use it. Fans expected a usually aggressive Morey to utilize it.

https://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/story/sports/pro/2021/09/08/could-sixers-wanting-keep-draft-picks-ben-simmons-trade-factor-into-not-using-exception-76-ers-nba/5772460001/

So I wouldn’t hold my breath on the Lakers using a TPE that is a third of what the 6ers expired TPE was worth.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: