Lakers you originally disliked but grew to love and vice versa
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Interesting topic.

I’m struggling to “ like” about half the current roster. Lol.

Going to be a long season for me.

Same here. All of the center position players and a future one. All ring chasers, but it is what it is.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
Disliked to disliked even more. Kyle Kuzma

That’s a good one. From draft steal to overpaid empty stats chucker.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject:

When Ron Artest came to the Lakers, I really disliked him because I thought he was a hoodlum. Then he helped us win the world championship against Boston, and we found out he has a big heart and is community-oriented. That's when I started to really like him.

Artest overcoming his demons (whatever they were) is one of the best sports stories I've seen in my lifetime.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Kuz always wanna act and talk like a star lol. He says if he went to sac he’d basically go off and play like a star.

https://twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1434666019373604872?s=21
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
When Ron Artest came to the Lakers, I really disliked him because I thought he was a hoodlum. Then he helped us win the world championship against Boston, and we found out he has a big heart and is community-oriented. That's when I started to really like him.

Artest overcoming his demons (whatever they were) is one of the best sports stories I've seen in my lifetime.

And then he elbowed Harden in the head and proved that he was in fact a lunatic.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject:

It actually took me a very long time to like Kobe. You know I always admired his talent or whatever but he was like his personality really grated on me when he was younger, I definitely liked the man he became. (Excuse me one moment )

My love for Pau is unparalleled so I can’t even have that discussion with people LOL

A lot of folks fall into the “well you’re a Laker now“ category where I can’t really say I like them but they’re on my team so I will support them while they’re here.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject:

like many here, I was a Magic fan, then was a fan of the Lake Show squad, Ceballos, NVE, Eddie Jones... so I didn't really care for Kobe.

then he dunked on Ben Wallance's mug, and went on to have a very strong second year... that won me over.. showed me that 2 air-balls to lose a playoff series didn't faze him all. I knew right there that he had what it takes to be a winner.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
It actually took me a very long time to like Kobe. You know I always admired his talent or whatever but he was like his personality really grated on me when he was younger, I definitely liked the man he became. (Excuse me one moment )

My love for Pau is unparalleled so I can’t even have that discussion with people LOL

A lot of folks fall into the “well you’re a Laker now“ category where I can’t really say I like them but they’re on my team so I will support them while they’re here.

/reply

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject:

DShotMaker1824 wrote:
TDRock wrote:

/reply

Reminded me of this

Sky wrote:
Quote:
we are laker fans and as laker fans we should support every player crappy or not who is playing in the purple and gold... is that too much to ask?

The answer to that question depends on what type of fan you are. What we have is the perceptual divide that's common to all boards.

1. The player first fan that loves the Lakers because they love Kobe, or in some cases Sasha, Odom, fill in the blank.

2. The loyalty first fan who insists on backing every Laker because they are a Laker no matter what their performance is.

3. The team first fan that cares most about the team's results on the floor. And in cutthroat fashion basically nothing else.

Most are a balance of two, some an industrial-strength version of one only, and a smaller group are a percentage of all three. Each fan leans to one of the three.

So the answers to your question are:

Player first - I want better players than these scrubs Kupchak stuck us with, I want Kobe's prime optimized, I want a contender ASAP!

Loyalty first - Emoticon in support of the question being asked followed by a reference to true fans. In some cases a slap at bandwagoners and impatience, closing in a paean to let them gel.

Team first - Of course not you homers! If they suck the team suffers and we're screwed. Changes are essential!

What is necessary is for each group to understand that the other two exist and that it's legit to be one of the other options. Those who are industrial strength to their type are impatient and frequently disdainful of the other two. As a nuclear strength team first type I certainly plead guillty to that one.

What's interesting about this dynamic is that it applies not just to posters but boards. LG is 1 and 2 with 3's run out on a rail. So the 3's gravitate to CL or if they know about it the Lakerboard. Others go to LT which has a lot of 1's but also open debate.

The pet peeve of groups one and three is that the loyalty first crowd always ALWAYS ALWAYS plays the I'm a true fan and you're not card. And that pisses off 1 and 3 to no end. I'm a 3 and I've been a diehard Laker fan for 35 years. Who the (insert colorful metaphor here) are you to tell me how to be a fan and that I'm not a true fan.

What you mean to say is that I do not meet your definition of what a true fan is. Your definition is not the only one, please do not assume that it is, or impose your defintion of being a fan on me. Go Lakers! Carry on.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

It was LeBron for me more because it seemed like a “who’s better, me or you” contest with Kobe that was heavily media driven now seeing LeBron’s respect for Kobe. Couldn’t stand Robert Horry’s smugness and antics of disrespect when he was on different teams…Did he hit big shots for this team? Yeah, still can’t stand the guy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: