Can the Lakers compete with BKN in the Finals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
In a close game, Nets can make their FTs

I don’t see that honestly becoming the deciding factor. High pressure players get it done while guys who can’t handle the spotlight choke.

Just look at Giannis FT shooting against the Suns. That 50 point game wasn’t he like 12/13 or something?

Shaq hit them when it mattered too. That’s why the playoffs are a different beast…the mentally tough players shine.

KD and Kyrie have shown they’re mentally tough in the playoffs no? They’re shown to be pretty reliable closers when the game is on the line. They both were NBA champions too. So the Lakers and Nets both have mentally tough players.

Lakers want to beat the Nets, then don’t keep it close, instead jump on them from the get go and build a big lead and don’t look back.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
In a close game, Nets can make their FTs

I don’t see that honestly becoming the deciding factor. High pressure players get it done while guys who can’t handle the spotlight choke.

Just look at Giannis FT shooting against the Suns. That 50 point game wasn’t he like 12/13 or something?

Shaq hit them when it mattered too. That’s why the playoffs are a different beast…the mentally tough players shine.

KD and Kyrie have shown they’re mentally tough in the playoffs no? They’re shown to be pretty reliable closers when the game is on the line. They both were NBA champions too. So the Lakers and Nets both have mentally tough players.

Lakers want to beat the Nets, then don’t keep it close, instead jump on them from the get go and build a big lead and don’t look back.

The jury is still out. Easy to win when you have 2 hardened champions in steph and klay and an all world champion in born.

Not saying they cant but we saw when more is needed , sometimes guys come up just an inch short.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

You're buying into BS. Shaq said he made them when it mattered, but in reality he was a crappy free throw shooter when it mattered and when it didn't matter.

(His career FT% in the playoffs was 50.4%, a tiny bit lower than he shot in the regular season.)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

The jury is still out. Easy to win when you have 2 hardened champions in steph and klay and an all world champion in born.

By that standard, you'd have to say the jury is still out on AD and rest of the Lakers roster other than Lebron.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
The Nets are obviously prioritizing shooting over everything. They are trying to create a style of their own like the Warriors few years ago.

They'll still need a center. What helped the warriors tremendously was having Bogut as a last line of defense, and then McGee. The Nets would need a solid center and that would pretty much fill up any gap they have. Because Blake at the 5 I don't think is a year long solution.

They will put Griffin, Aldrige and Claxton at the 5. I honestly think their philosophy is to outscore you instead of trying to stop your offense. Whether it will work or not, I'm not sure but that is what they want to accomplish. Judging from their offseason moves, they are not trying to improve their defense at all.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
The Nets are obviously prioritizing shooting over everything. They are trying to create a style of their own like the Warriors few years ago.

They'll still need a center. What helped the warriors tremendously was having Bogut as a last line of defense, and then McGee. The Nets would need a solid center and that would pretty much fill up any gap they have. Because Blake at the 5 I don't think is a year long solution.

They will put Griffin, Aldrige and Claxton at the 5. I honestly think their philosophy is to outscore you instead of trying to stop your offense. Whether it will work or not, I'm not sure but that is what they want to accomplish. Judging from their offseason moves, they are not trying to improve their defense at all.

Can you say Mike D'Antoni.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Halflife wrote:

By that standard, you'd have to say the jury is still out on AD and rest of the Lakers roster other than Lebron.

By that logic the jury would still be put on LeBron as he had Wade and Bosh and Kyrie and Love.

I mean how anyone can say "jury is still out" on Kyrie and KD is unbelievable. Especially after their moments where they came up big in the Finals.

Jury can be out on Harden, but not KD and Kyrie. They're provem in that regard.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject:

It's a very intriguing discussion to compare the Lakers and Nets, both are obviously crazy talented (I do give the slight edge to Brooklyn, for now).

But the champion will still likely be decided by health. Whoever stays the healthiest will win. Granted this isn't as short a turnaround than last season, but health is still the key. That's where the depth of our team will truly shine.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
It's a very intriguing discussion to compare the Lakers and Nets, both are obviously crazy talented (I do give the slight edge to Brooklyn, for now).

But the champion will still likely be decided by health. Whoever stays the healthiest will win. Granted this isn't as short a turnaround than last season, but health is still the key. That's where the depth of our team will truly shine.

Why?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Kobetan wrote:

Why?

I would give them the edge since they have the overall best player
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Kobetan wrote:

Why?

Purely because their starters have been together longer.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject:

The Nets won't make the Finals again this year in my opinion. I am sure they will have a lot of excuses at the ready though.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
The Nets won't make the Finals again this year in my opinion. I am sure they will have a lot of excuses at the ready though.

Kyrie will retire.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Am I the only one who thinks the Lakers are going to be a top 5 defense? I just don't buy the narrative we can't stop anyone.

AD, Howard, Ariza, Bazemore, West, LBJ, Jordan, Gasol and Rondo are good defenders; and having the best defensive coach in the NBA doesn't hurt either.

The Nets will be the number 1 offense but we will be top 5 in offense and defense.

It will be a tough 7 game series and we might even get blown out in a couple of games when the Nets catch fire. But it will be AD leading the defense and collecting his second ring
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the Lakers are going to be a top 5 defense? I just don't buy the narrative we can't stop anyone.

AD, Howard, Ariza, Bazemore, West, LBJ, Jordan, Gasol and Rondo are good defenders; and having the best defensive coach in the NBA doesn't hurt either.

The Nets will be the number 1 offense but we will be top 5 in offense and defense.

It will be a tough 7 game series and we might even get blown out in a couple of games when the Nets catch fire. But it will be AD leading the defense and collecting his second ring

Why would we suddenly fall from the league’s #1 defense to out of the top 5? Especially with the return of Dwight.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Why would we suddenly fall from the league’s #1 defense to out of the top 5? Especially with the return of Dwight.

When AD was fully healthy in 2020 he was the runner-up DPOTY, combined that with 5 or more plus defenders and we might end up being the best again
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

fair argument, 37yr old vs post achilles that look great 33yr old, I'd say still a tie at best for KD, had one great series but Bron is less than a year removed from a great chip run
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject:

James Harden will choke. And that can be a huge edge for us.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Kobetan wrote:

Why?

Purely because their starters have been together longer.

Is that why you say now? If so remember Durant, Harden, and Irving have played a total of 13 gtames together.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Kobetan wrote:

Why?

I give Durant a slight edge. After that, we have a more experienced veteran squad. Their feet have been held to the fire on numerous occasions. I don't think they'll crack under pressure. How soon we forget how the game is played down low. Perimeter shooting is off and on. When the game is played under the rim the Lakers have a huge advantage. This is still a big man's game.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

REALLY?

hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

REALLY?

TBF when he chokes it's usually a big game late in the series. It's something we've seen for literally years at this point across several different rosters so is it really that surprising someone is bringing it up? I could care less what his averages are over the entire series or Playoffs if he's failing in the biggest close out games when he's needed most.

He's still a great player and has more help then he ever has when the roster is healthy so I def. wouldn't just automatically expect him to do it but there's a pretty long history of it that will continue to follow him until he overcomes it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

REALLY?

TBF when he chokes it's usually a big game late in the series. It's something we've seen for literally years at this point across several different rosters so is it really that surprising someone is bringing it up? I could care less what his averages are over the entire series or Playoffs if he's failing in the biggest close out games when he's needed most.

He's still a great player and has more help then he ever has when the roster is healthy so I def. wouldn't just automatically expect him to do it but there's a pretty long history of it that will continue to follow him until he overcomes it.

It's not surprising someone brought it up. It's something he's done on several occasions.

He doesn't have to carry the load by himself in Brooklyn. I think that will be the difference.

hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

REALLY?

It's not surprising someone brought it up. It's something he's done on several occasions.

He doesn't have to carry the load by himself in Brooklyn. I think that will be the difference.

I agree with that.. Durant is the one that truly scares me on that team. They can and likely will hang with anyone even if Harden doesn't fully show up in some games. Like us, health is there only true obstacle to getting to the Finals.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

REALLY?

I agree with that.. Durant is the one that truly scares me on that team. They can and likely will hang with anyone even if Harden doesn't fully show up in some games. Like us, health is there only true obstacle to getting to the Finals.

Yeah, Durant's right up there with the all time greats. Otoh, the one that will scare them, if he returns to expected form or better, is Davis. Bring on Durant, or anyone else, to settle it if AD is doing his thing on an MVP level
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 67 of 73
Jump to: