Legend of PLAYOFF RONDO (Woj: Trade to Cavs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
Why it is hard to call Rondo as a 3pt shooter even though he shot almost 40% on 3 his last 3 reg season and last 3 playoffs?

Funny thing about Rondo, Kidd, and even Magic is that all 3 of them moved on to set shots from 3 after it was said they couldn’t hit jumpers from out there. If Russ was smart and did the same, and even became a 33-35 percent guy his career narrative changes too
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject:

It would be great if Rondo was on the Laker teams that tied and passed Boston in championships.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
leking006 wrote:
Why it is hard to call Rondo as a 3pt shooter even though he shot almost 40% on 3 his last 3 reg season and last 3 playoffs?

Funny thing about Rondo, Kidd, and even Magic is that all 3 of them moved on to set shots from 3 after it was said they couldn’t hit jumpers from out there. If Russ was smart and did the same, and even became a 33-35 percent guy his career narrative changes too

Well, Rondo doesn't shoot many threes. He falls into the same category as Caruso. He may shoot 40% from three, but he takes only a couple per game, so defenses don't care. By contrast, Kidd was taking 4 to 5 with the Mavs. Magic was taking over 3 per game in the last years before HIV, and that was a lot by the standards of the time.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Aight! Got our enforcer, shoulda been dudz but great signing!
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Amazingly bad takes about Rondo from the naysayers- he brings so many positives and is taking up the 13th roster spot for a vet min deal.

Who would the naysayers like to see signed at vet min instead of Rondo to be the 13th man ?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
It would be great if Rondo was on the Laker teams that tied and passed Boston in championships.

Yep, 2 with the lakers and 1 withe the celtics would be fine with me...
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject:

I see the Lakers running more 3 guard lineups and load managing most of the season leading to Rondo getting 20 minutes a game.

The guy's ability to run an offense is just so valuable
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
I see the Lakers running more 3 guard lineups and load managing most of the season leading to Rondo getting 20 minutes a game.

The guy's ability to run an offense is just so valuable

Hopefully we get glimpses of this in preseason....

Rondo
Monk
LBJ
Melo
AD

Gotta have both the shooters and athletic studs out there to utilize Rondo's playmaking.

Last edited by MookieBetts50 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I like having him in order to work with guys on reviewing the tape. He sees things even the vets aren't and having that in the trenches during a series will be useful even if he doesn't see time on the floor. (Especially useful for Westbrook, IMO. He and LeBron in his ear and getting through to him should be interesting.)

On the floor, I figure he's in a break-in-the-case-of-emergency kind of role. If Russ is out for a couple of weeks or something. That sort of situation. He does help with pace and connecting with AD, so maybe there's a small window each game for him.

Not sure this team needs him for the "swag" factor Vogel always talked about and that helped in the playoffs. But we'll see. There was a game in the playoffs last year with the Clippers, I forget which one, but it was the type of game the Clips might typically fold under pressure like they did the previous season. Rondo captained them to a win just with his steadiness and, hate to say it, but the swag Vogel was talking about. You could definitely see it down the stretch of that game.

Pretty crazy that he left the team, got paid $15 million that we could not have afforded and is back with the team less than a year later. With that contract being subsidized by another team.

Overall good pickup with Dudley/JKidd gone. I don't expect him playing too much, but I think LeBron could use another PG that is respected who Russ might listen to. Rondo has a career worth of experience of teams sagging off him and he's still able to manipulate the D to some extent to get into the paint. I'm sure that will benefit Russ at times.

This also helps with roster turnover. Just getting the new guys up to speed on how Vogel wants things, having Rondo/Dwight back in the mix will speed that process up.

Just saw the Rondo news. I suppose I looked at it as "why?" since the team has Russ and Nunn to run the point, and in addition at least the last time around Rondo was horrific in the regular season. But, since you put it that way (if indeed that's the role), I'm into it. And, if somehow playoff Rondo makes an appearance, all the better.

Still would like that "bigger" wing defender on the team we've all been clamoring for 2 offseasons now, however.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
One thing you can count on from Rondo. If we are ignoring AD, he will set up AD. I don’t envision him playing more than 5-6 minutes, but the Lakers having a player that can get AD going is huge. AD was saying Rondo would often be in his ear about needing to go off for 40-50 before certain games.

This is like having Jason Kidd replaced on the staff. But as well as having him still available to play some spot minutes.

I rate this move if it happens very highly. It’s not a big move on paper, but losing Rondo and Dwight last season really changed the identity of this team. We are going to be such a different more physical team this year with so many more niche role players. The only concern I have is how Westbrook fits. The role guys we brought in, with a healthy AD and Bron, they can make a run. Main concern is if Westbrook fits.

Perhaps a role before...

Coach Rondo?
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
leking006 wrote:

Well, Rondo doesn't shoot many threes. He falls into the same category as Caruso. He may shoot 40% from three, but he takes only a couple per game, so defenses don't care. By contrast, Kidd was taking 4 to 5 with the Mavs. Magic was taking over 3 per game in the last years before HIV, and that was a lot by the standards of the time.

It’s way different than Caruso. Rondo might not shoot many but he will take them when they are there and he’s not going into his layup package.

Caruso at times was afraid to take them when it mattered. Caruso took 3 a night in the bubble playoffs and first round and shot 28%. Rondo meanwhile could either attack the rim, get AD the ball in stride, or hit the 3 when it came to him so his 40% still carried over.

I will admit the volume is a difference … Kidd started shooting them actually as a net after the microfracture as a set shot because he said that was something he practiced in his rehab and just liked the form.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Give Rondo his props too. In one calendar year he was the third best player on a title team. He won his ring being a Laker and Celtic champion. He went back home for a few months and got 15mil which neither the lakers or clippers could give him at the time. Spent few months with family. Got the clippers to trade Lou Williams away. Got in a stare down with kawhi and was the first to ever call him out. Got all his money. And is a laker again. He’s a winner lol
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
Give Rondo his props too. In one calendar year he was the third best player on a title team. He won his ring being a Laker and Celtic champion. He went back home for a few months and got 15mil which neither the lakers or clippers could give him at the time. Spent few months with family. Got the clippers to trade Lou Williams away. Got in a stare down with kawhi and was the first to ever call him out. Got all his money. And is a laker again. He’s a winner lol

He's making more than DS? that's crazy
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject:

Former Celtics champion Rondo winning #18 with and for the Lakers would be poetic justice

The sublimation of the concept of poetic justice,actually
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:

He's making more than DS? that's crazy

That was quite the paycut for DS.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:

It’s way different than Caruso. Rondo might not shoot many but he will take them when they are there and he’s not going into his layup package.

Caruso at times was afraid to take them when it mattered. Caruso took 3 a night in the bubble playoffs and first round and shot 28%. Rondo meanwhile could either attack the rim, get AD the ball in stride, or hit the 3 when it came to him so his 40% still carried over.

I will admit the volume is a difference … Kidd started shooting them actually as a net after the microfracture as a set shot because he said that was something he practiced in his rehab and just liked the form.

Well, Rondo shot .328 in the regular season for us, so thankfully that didn't carry over. Regardless, pretty much every three point shooter is streaky. Guys like Caruso and Rondo are dependent on getting wide open, essentially uncontested threes. This is especially true for a short point guard like Rondo.

I'm really not here to trash Rondo as a shooter. My issue with Rondo is that people are remembering his decent play over a short stretch of games in the playoffs, but forgetting his mediocre play in the regular season and in the following year with the Hawks and Clippers. I think he's done. If he is actually getting significant playing time during the playoffs next year, it would mean that we have other problems. The best argument I've heard for signing him is that he can function as an assistant coach in the video room, but we didn't sign him as an assistant coach. However, I'm not losing any sleep over roster spots 13, 14, and 15. As long as he plays only limited minutes, who cares?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:

Well, Rondo shot .328 in the regular season for us, so thankfully that didn't carry over. Regardless, pretty much every three point shooter is streaky. Guys like Caruso and Rondo are dependent on getting wide open, essentially uncontested threes. This is especially true for a short point guard like Rondo.

I'm really not here to trash Rondo as a shooter. My issue with Rondo is that people are remembering his decent play over a short stretch of games in the playoffs, but forgetting his mediocre play in the regular season and in the following year with the Hawks and Clippers. I think he's done. If he is actually getting significant playing time during the playoffs next year, it would mean that we have other problems. The best argument I've heard for signing him is that he can function as an assistant coach in the video room, but we didn't sign him as an assistant coach. However, I'm not losing any sleep over roster spots 13, 14, and 15. As long as he plays only limited minutes, who cares?

This. They didn't bring Rondo in to make a difference on the court.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Welcome back? Was awful w/Hawks and benched with Clipps and now 2 years older than last with us but oh well, age > youth according to Rob and the Lakers braintrust.

Rondo helped the Lakers win the NBA title 10.5 months ago.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

<snip>

Yup, he's basically a Dudley swap, similar locker room leadership to Dudley, comparably trusted by Lebron/AD's but better coaching and tactical acumen than Dudley.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:

I think there will be times he plays a lot. I think Lebron and Westbrook will rest some games and Rondo will get heavy minutes those games and not play at all in most games. Just someone to set the offense
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

<snip>

Yup, he's basically a Dudley swap, similar locker room leadership to Dudley, comparably trusted by Lebron/AD's but better coaching and tactical acumen than Dudley.

With one important difference. Dudley did nothing for our depth chart. On the other hand, if 1-2 of our guards are out with injuries or COVID protocol, Rondo can step right in and give us 20 minutes of quality basketball a game.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
I like having him in order to work with guys on reviewing the tape. He sees things even the vets aren't and having that in the trenches during a series will be useful even if he doesn't see time on the floor. (Especially useful for Westbrook, IMO. He and LeBron in his ear and getting through to him should be interesting.)

On the floor, I figure he's in a break-in-the-case-of-emergency kind of role. If Russ is out for a couple of weeks or something. That sort of situation. He does help with pace and connecting with AD, so maybe there's a small window each game for him.

Not sure this team needs him for the "swag" factor Vogel always talked about and that helped in the playoffs. But we'll see. There was a game in the playoffs last year with the Clippers, I forget which one, but it was the type of game the Clips might typically fold under pressure like they did the previous season. Rondo captained them to a win just with his steadiness and, hate to say it, but the swag Vogel was talking about. You could definitely see it down the stretch of that game.

Pretty crazy that he left the team, got paid $15 million that we could not have afforded and is back with the team less than a year later. With that contract being subsidized by another team.

Overall good pickup with Dudley/JKidd gone. I don't expect him playing too much, but I think LeBron could use another PG that is respected who Russ might listen to. Rondo has a career worth of experience of teams sagging off him and he's still able to manipulate the D to some extent to get into the paint. I'm sure that will benefit Russ at times.

This also helps with roster turnover. Just getting the new guys up to speed on how Vogel wants things, having Rondo/Dwight back in the mix will speed that process up.

Just saw the Rondo news. I suppose I looked at it as "why?" since the team has Russ and Nunn to run the point, and in addition at least the last time around Rondo was horrific in the regular season. But, since you put it that way (if indeed that's the role), I'm into it. And, if somehow playoff Rondo makes an appearance, all the better.

Still would like that "bigger" wing defender on the team we've all been clamoring for 2 offseasons now, however.

We still have two roster spots for that bigger wing defender and I would 1000% sign Rondo it were my choice as the two are not mutually exclusive.

But I will say, and its my one knock on Rob, we have yet to target one of those guys for years now. Ariza 8 years ago would have been perfect. Bazemore is a decent option but not big enough. Jerami Grant/Cam Johnson/Mikal Bridges/Thybulle, or that archetype, is the dream. Someone young enough but with size to chase around KD, Kawhi, Jimmy, Giannis, Tatum, Luka, etc. Unfortunately that guy isn't going to be found on the buyout market so for now, I'd love to see Ennis signed.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

<snip>

they are nothing similar. Dudz was an outgoing guy who players loved. He motivated guys I guess through positive reinforcement and certainly was NOT a coach on the floor.

Rondo doesn't appear lovable, is way edgier but at least can bring something on the floor which dudz couldn't.

Dudz= Happy drunk uncle
Rondo= disciplined much older brother
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers will hold free agent media availability today at 11:40 am. I assume this is for Rajon Rondo.

GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

I'd have rather have both Dudley and Rondo but one out of 2 is still good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168  Next
Page 164 of 168
Jump to: