Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

I am beyond over with Roberts sticking with the vets just because they're vets. Thank goodness that smarter heads prevailed last year and we went with Urias to close things out. No way in hell would we have won the WS if Roberts had stuck with Jansen.

Kenley is done. Stop it, Dave.

Kiss my Converse.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

^ That was terrible, no doubt. But we're just going to have to get used to it because we'll be seeing a lot of him this year.

But Dodgers did themselves no favors today with their lack of hitting with RISP. Didn't catch the entire game, but there were two instances (I believe in the 4th and 7th innings) where we had runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and couldn't score.

And of course, they can't even move the free runner at 2nd in the top of the 10th.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

It's weird. We have elite talent up and down the lineup/bench and throughout our pitching staff. Yet, management - whether field or front office - decides that it's acceptable to have a mediocre closer.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Get ready for the usual Doc spiel:

- I thought Kenley looked great
- The ball was just finding holes
- Kenley is still our closer

We're just going to have to get used to it as there will be games like this all year. Good thing is that we're really good enough to overcome it.

But still extremely frustrating to watch as this has been going on for, what, 3 years now?

Only silver lining is that it's Kenley's final year with us.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

As great as the Dodgers are, they seem to have one game a week like this where they leave like 15 guys on base and can't buy a hit in a close game.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Kenley blows the save (shocker). Let's hope he can keep it tied.

Didn’t take him long for first blown save!
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
Kenley blows the save (shocker). Let's hope he can keep it tied.

Didn’t take him long for first blown save!

He wasn't awe inspiring the night before At this point it should be Knebel closing and Gonzalez with Trienan setting up until Graterol is back. But the Jansen experiment should have been over 2 years ago. Someone please tell Friedman about the sunk cost fallacy.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm happy Kenleyssssss is sucking right off the bat.

Get rid of him as our closer a lot sooner.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

What bothers me is that both Friedman and Roberts know that Kenley is done - which is why he wasn't our closer in the playoffs.

So then why are they still trotting him out there to close things out? To not bruise egos? For old times sake? Because Roberts has a certain affinity for the guy?

GTFOH with that bull (bleep).

Kenley got paid....handsomely. He did well for us for his first several years and has been very mediocre (cost us a few playoff games in that span) in the tail end. Like someone said earlier, he should've stopped being our closer 2 years ago. The fact that he continues to blow games just cause he's on the books pisses me off. Let him go. Don't even give Roberts a chance to put him out there. My BP can't take anymore of this ish.

Kiss my Converse.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:

Only silver lining is that it's Kenley's final year with us.

I don't want to wait for the end of the year. Let him go now.

Kiss my Converse.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
What bothers me is that both Friedman and Roberts know that Kenley is done - which is why he wasn't our closer in the playoffs.

So then why are they still trotting him out there to close things out? To not bruise egos? For old times sake? Because Roberts has a certain affinity for the guy?

GTFOH with that bull (bleep).

Kenley got paid....handsomely. He did well for us for his first several years and has been very mediocre (cost us a few playoff games in that span) in the tail end. Like someone said earlier, he should've stopped being our closer 2 years ago. The fact that he continues to blow games just cause he's on the books pisses me off. Let him go. Don't even give Roberts a chance to put him out there. My BP can't take anymore of this ish.

Not a big deal. Give Kenley a fair shot, if he sucks then he loses his job. Kenley is doing a good job at losing that closer role.

Like I said, happy it's happening early.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

^ He's gotten more than his fair shot. He lost his closer role last year in the playoffs. Why is he still closing for us....is my point.

I thought it was gonna be more of a closer by committee this year. Isn't that what Roberts said? Perhaps when Graterol comes back we see that.

Kiss my Converse.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
^ He's gotten more than his fair shot. He lost his closer role last year in the playoffs. Why is he still closing for us....is my point.

I thought it was gonna be more of a closer by committee this year. Isn't that what Roberts said? Perhaps when Graterol comes back we see that.

Completely agree. Kenley's time has come and gone. Sucks but it happens to the best of them.

But, unfortunately, Roberts doesn't see it that way and will continue to trot him out there.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject:

I bet if Kenley wanted to come back next year for league minimum they wouldn’t let him.

But because he’s under contract they’ll put him on the roster, play him and make him our closer.

It’s the same thing the Angels are doing with Pujols.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:

Yeah, I was already disturbed that he was still the closer when I saw him in his first outing. His velocity didn’t impress me. He didn’t look like 2014 Jansen out there. He looked more like the Jansen that was over the hill. So why is he still closing?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Jansen lost 4 World Series games in 3 World Series. We saw what Broxton and Niedenfuer did in the NLCS.

Oh, and let’s not forget we won a title after that blown save by Eckersely against a powerful team that won 104 games.

But let’s continue to have a bad closer and hope for the best. Jansen will be a huge gift to an opponent in the playoffs.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject:

I assume once the playoffs start they will use a starter or two to help close games when it matters most.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I assume once the playoffs start they will use a starter or two to help close games when it matters most.

Yup. The question is why not now?
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Yup. The question is why not now?

Ah the golden question we been asking since 2018.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Jansen lost 4 World Series games in 3 World Series. We saw what Broxton and Niedenfuer did in the NLCS.

Oh, and let’s not forget we won a title after that blown save by Eckersely against a powerful team that won 104 games.

But let’s continue to have a bad closer and hope for the best. Jansen will be a huge gift to an opponent in the playoffs.

All mentally soft Dodger closers. Actually I think Jansen is the best mentally between all 3 of them. I will even throw in Worrell there as well as another guy who has a habit of blowing big games as he did in '85 WS. Really hard to say with Gagne as he was never really tested although I can easily see him giving up big hits as well. Broxton was absolutely the worst. You could see mental weakness in him miles away. Guy probably still (bleep) his pants whenever he hears the word "Phillies", "Jimmy Rollins" or "Matt Stairs"
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

All mentally soft Dodger closers. Actually I think Jansen is the best mentally between all 3 of them. I will even throw in Worrell there as well as another guy who has a habit of blowing big games as he did in '85 WS. Really hard to say with Gagne as he was never really tested although I can easily see him giving up big hits as well. Broxton was absolutely the worst. You could see mental weakness in him miles away. Guy probably still (bleep) his pants whenever he hears the word "Phillies", "Jimmy Rollins" or "Matt Stairs"

Kenley has been done for awhile. That game 4 loss in the World Series was almost fatal.

Thank you Treinen and Urias
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
After Wednesday’s loss, Dave Roberts called the outing “uncharacteristic,”
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

A year or two ago I thought it was them trying to encourage him/build up his confidence. But it’s been 3+ seasons since his 2017 meltdowns and it’s far past time to cut your losses. I know he’s getting paid a lot and maybe they’re trying to get something for their money (sunken cost fallacy) but we’re on season 4 of this show and we know how it goes. At this point I won’t get upset during the regular season unless it’s September and the division or playoff spot is on the line. At least this will be the last season of having to deal with this.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject:

I don't subscribe to The Athletic. I hope nothing happens.

Quote:
Multiple suspicious baseballs from Dodgers’ Trevor Bauer sent to MLB for inspection. The Latest attempted crackdown by the league being put to test. Story:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1380320585151025155
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:56 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Ugh, forgot about Worrell, although I didn’t think of him because he didn’t pitch in any big moments in the playoffs for the Dodgers. But I think he cost the team 1 or 2 division titles in the 90’s because he blew 18 saves in 2 seasons.

When you lose the division by 1 game in 1996 and by 2 games in 1997, you can’t afford to have closers like that. Our team gets away with it in the regular season with Jansen because we have the talent to win around 100-110 games.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 31 of 395
Jump to: