The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I don’t know if it should be called a film but I thought Bad Trip had some funny moment. Tiffany Haddish is hilarious

It's on NetFlix. I'm a Tiffany Haddish fan. I'm going to watch it sometime today.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

I watched it. It was chock full of people that didn't seem to be actors. I got the impression they went to different locations and included whoever was there. Title Bad Road Trip would have been apropos. Tiffany was Tiffany.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject:

I saw promising young woman. My wife liked it more than me. it was entertaining. I was never a big fan of Carrie mulligan but age has been very kind to her. She is too good of an actress to have such an average male co-star (lover) . Thought he was miscast.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Bad Trip on Netflix was interesting. I've never seen a movie like that before.
Borat mixed with Jackass mixed with I don't know what.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

^so funny. Much needed. Eric Andre is a frigging genius
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

Benny Safdie joining the Star Wars extended universe is really something.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Benny Safdie joining the Star Wars extended universe is really something.

Disney is cornering the blockbuster market by owning Marvel and Star Wars.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Watched Concrete Cowboy on Netflix. I'll watch anything Idris Elba is in. But the plot just wasn't my cup of tea. Add onto that the story was kind of murky in what it was trying to say. It was informative moreso than entertaining. And maybe that's what the filmmaker wanted.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Watched Concrete Cowboy on Netflix. I'll watch anything Idris Elba is in. But the plot just wasn't my cup of tea. Add onto that the story was kind of murky in what it was trying to say. It was informative moreso than entertaining. And maybe that's what the filmmaker wanted.

What is it about other than the very sparse wiki page? Urban African-American kid goes to rural cowboyey area is all I got from wiki. What's the nutshell?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:

What is it about other than the very sparse wiki page? Urban African-American kid goes to rural cowboyey area is all I got from wiki. What's the nutshell?

There's a small group of low income African Americans living in Philly who like to board and train horses. Some say that rancher-like lifestyle helped them avoid crime. But they are being and have been pushed out of these areas in Philly via gentrification.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Just watched groundhogs day...there have been so many crappy movies lately, I've just resorted to watching older movies I've never seen before. I enjoyed it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:

There's a small group of low income African Americans living in Philly who like to board and train horses. Some say that rancher-like lifestyle helped them avoid crime. But they are being and have been pushed out of these areas in Philly via gentrification.

Hm. That sort of reminds me of a feel good segment on a past epi of HBO Real Sports where mostly, but not exclusively urban A-A kids from a big Eastern city (maybe even Philly, can't recall, 3-5 yrs ago) who were able to achieve great things because they got a chance to take a step into the world of equestrian sports. There was a lady who let them work at her horsefarm. She really went to bat for them like a coach and drove them to meets and pushed them to do well in school, all that. They learned about everything horse and eventually won blue ribbons at events and were motivated to do well in school so they could continue working on the farm and a number of them went on to Ivy League schools and beyond in numerous cases. I think one of them won an election and became a politician and other similar success stories. They all started off as kids w/ nothing to do after school in a big city and were less-advantaged than their other racial cohort peers in the area.

It's probably not connected to that, but it reminds me of that because these kids were able to find a lot of success in equestrian events and the like that had never had many African-Americans involved with that scene before. It's a field that has been historically ivory white, but it's just beginning to see a few African Americans entering the game.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject:

After school programs work.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Watched it last night. Didn't know it was based on reality. I texted a person I know who lives in Philly. I asked if there was any truth to the film. Asked, if he knew anything about the Fletcher Street Urban Riding Club and if it exists? I haven't heard back from him. Interesting film.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Just watched groundhogs day...there have been so many crappy movies lately, I've just resorted to watching older movies I've never seen before. I enjoyed it.

Best thing ever about that movie was when there was talk of a sequel and someone pointed out that they could just sell tickets to Groundhog Day 2 but play the original movie... and no one would be mad.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Best thing ever about that movie was when there was talk of a sequel and someone pointed out that they could just sell tickets to Groundhog Day 2 but play the original movie... and no one would be mad.

That’s amazing
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
governator wrote:
Anything new good on netflix?

If you haven't seen them yet, I enjoyed "News of the World" and "The Dig".

News of the world was good, no big action but just steady journey and nice feel good ending. Good rec.

Btw, watched this movie 'Run' (2020), nice suspense
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Checked out a Hong Kong thriller by the name of Infernal Affairs. Apparently The Departed is a remake of this and I’d been unaware of that until now. Damn good movie, I really enjoyed it. Scorsese added a few wrinkles but overall he didn’t change much when it comes to the plot. I felt that Infernal Affairs was grittier and had a more visceral feel.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Checked out a Hong Kong thriller by the name of Infernal Affairs. Apparently The Departed is a remake of this and I’d been unaware of that until now. Damn good movie, I really enjoyed it. Scorsese added a few wrinkles but overall he didn’t change much when it comes to the plot. I felt that Infernal Affairs was grittier and had a more visceral feel.

Is Infernal Affairs aired in a foreign language and subtitled?

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Yes it’s cantonese, with added subs. There is also a sequel which I’d like to check out as well.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Yes it’s cantonese, with added subs. There is also a sequel which I’d like to check out as well.

I don't like to watch films that I have to read what's being said. Detracts from the viewing. I'll give it a try though.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Me watching A Star is Born ('54) cutting to still photos with voice over: "Hmm, an interesting directorial choice, let's see where this goes."

*googles A Star is Born production history*

Me: [...]

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

Is Infernal Affairs a comedy like The Departed?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Is Infernal Affairs a comedy like The Departed?

Maybe not as light-hearted. I also think that it does a somewhat better job of portraying the fear and alienation of its protagonist.

Last edited by panamaniac on Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Watched Marked For Death (1990). Steven Seagal faire. Hilarious movie widda Jamaican vs Colombian drug dealer template/format. The Jamaican dialogue is bemusing, mon, Irie. I've seen it many a time since it first went straight to VHS, but I never stop loving it. It's comfort food for the mind, like KFC biscuits n gravy. David Keith and the Colombian chainsaw man from Scarface 83 are in it. Search for it if you have Spectrum, cha bomboclat.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 104 of 189
Jump to: