Goodbye TALEN HORTON-TUCKER Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 200, 201, 202  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Been watching some elgin baylor highlights (rip), he’s another good comparison to tht. Of course strictly talking about playstyle and archetype.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think THT is unique. He's more like Andre Miller to me than Wade due to the vast differences athletically. Wade was an elite athlete with elite ball handling/finishing skills.

Hmm i remember andre miller as a pass first pg, i think he even led the league in assists for some time. Altho he is crafty finishing around the basket, ill give you that.

Yes, the craftiness part. Andre was a true PG while THT is a combo.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Interesting stat.
In a 266-minute sample size with LeBron and AD off the floor, THT has a per-36 line of 19.4 points, 6.1 assists, 6.0 rebounds, 2.2 steals, 1.2 blocks and 0.8 triples.

And he's only played 45 NBA games, is still learning from his mistakes, has a great work ethic, and is only 20.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Lakers believe in THT. Didn’t trade him for Lowry. Tonight was a big stinker. Will have to step up for us.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Faith in him, but he still comes off the bench last after Matthews and AC, and had limited ball handing opportunities.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject:

He’s the next Dlo/zo/Ingram. Fan base gonna be arguing about him until he finally becomes a star or is traded lol
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject:

he'll shoot the ball better every year a little bit. probably in very small strides.

but he's so young that he'll be really good in 3-4 years if we we're patient enough
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject:

Life without Lebron and AD. Here’s the numbers for the games since Atlanta where he got hurt. The averages

THT - 22mins 8ppg 3rebs 3asts 1stl 33/17/85
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
Life without Lebron and AD. Here’s the numbers for the games since Atlanta where he got hurt. The averages

Is that 17% from 3? Yikes. That's one thing he has to improve on ASAP. 3s. Teams are starting to realize he's not a good 3 point shooter.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:

Is that 17% from 3? Yikes. That's one thing he has to improve on ASAP. 3s. Teams are starting to realize he's not a good 3 point shooter.
yep

33 from the field
17 from three
85 from the line
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject:

THT has played 866 total minutes in the NBA. At 30 mpg avg. that would be just 28 games. Glad we kept him.

https://www.nba.com/lakers/video/teams/lakers/2021/03/26/199535/1616822323788-talen-horton-tucker-15-points-highlights-199535
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject:

^ he is so young in terms of nba experience yet he is already this far along in terms of skill. Hyping him up too much got some fans expecting too much too soon tho. Let him take his time putting his game together.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject:

He needs to play as much as the team can afford to play him. I always believe the best teacher is playing the game. Remember BI's difficulties his 1st year and into his 2nd. However he continually honed his iso mid range skills learning how to execute against NBA competition. Now a superior ISO player coupled with his 3pt improvement which led to being an all star by his 4th year.

Not saying THT follows this same path but we can already see the ISO skills. Just needs to keep working on adding to his mid-range with floaters and pull up shots and when the 3pt shot comes and it will he will be a significant ++ player.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Lamelo Ball has played 1173 NBA minutes, or 300 more than THT. That's 10 extra 30 minute games already. THT is essentially a rookie, and when taken in that context has done pretty well in his role with a 15,16,17, and even an 18 point game off the bench this month since being given more run.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject:

^^^ Lol, nah, THT ain't a rookie by comparing him to LaMelo's minutes since LaMelo plays far more than a typical rookie.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
^ he is so young in terms of nba experience yet he is already this far along in terms of skill. Hyping him up too much got some fans expecting too much too soon tho. Let him take his time putting his game together.

For a 2nd round pick and a 20 year old he's doing great. At the same time he does have to diversify and add to his slash/drive skill-set. In order of importance:
* Team defense: Quite confident he'll get there in 1-2 years, it's a matter of reps and experience. Same on individual defense, currently he's not bad but his potential is much higher.
* 3-pt shooting: Biggest factor that will determine whether he's a role-player or an eventual starter. If he gets above 34% he will have a long career. If he gets even higher he'll be a star. Good thing is shooting is the easiest skill to learn and he's just starting his prime learning years.
* Mid-range game: He has none right now, which is OK as long as he gets a 3-pt shot. But if he does get a pull-up, floater on top of a 3-pt shot and team-defense he will be a bona-fide star. IMO this will be his toughest get but I won't bet against it since the kid is already ahead of the curve.
As others have noted it will be exciting to see where he gets to in 3-4 years.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject:

In my opinion, I think THT having a mid-range shot is currently more important than a 3 point shot. Brandon Ingram as a very raw prospect, started developing his mid-range shot before his 3 pointers

THT developing it in the same vein would more ideal. Him with another gear by being able to pull up from the elbow for an easy 2, or drive to the rack would make him a very tough guard.

Would it be great to have a 3 point shot? Obviously yes, but I think limiting him in just being a long 3 or drive to the hole player would be doing him a disservice in his development.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
In my opinion, I think THT having a mid-range shot is currently more important than a 3 point shot. Brandon Ingram as a very raw prospect, started developing his mid-range shot before his 3 pointers

THT developing it in the same vein would more ideal. Him with another gear by being able to pull up from the elbow for an easy 2, or drive to the rack would make him a very tough guard.

Would it be great to have a 3 point shot? Obviously yes, but I think limiting him in just being a long 3 or drive to the hole player would be doing him a disservice in his development.

I agree with you. In tht’s role, having a mid range game is more important than improving his 3 pointers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

Bear in mind. BI’s game really took off bc of his 3 point shooting (and ability to hit the mid range). Dennis is only shooting 3s at 32% this year and it’s still mucking up spacing a bit. THT’s game will be more unlocked once he can shoot 3s at around 32-34%.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

just watching some THT highlights, if he can develop this move more that is Harden like.

LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
Megaton wrote:

I agree with you. In tht’s role, having a mid range game is more important than improving his 3 pointers.

It's really the most practical approach. If he gains a level of good to great mid-range, he can develop the stroke to hit it further out in due time. Jimmy Butler showed us and the world that a player can still have a huge impact on the game w/o a working 3pt shot.

I realize his 3pt percentages don't look good right now, but he has a nice stroke, so improvement can be expected in the coming seasons. The Lakers FO must believe that and it's the reason he was kept out of the recent trade talks.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Megaton wrote:

It's really the most practical approach. If he gains a level of good to great mid-range, he can develop the stroke to hit it further out in due time. Jimmy Butler showed us and the world that a player can still have a huge impact on the game w/o a working 3pt shot.

I realize his 3pt percentages don't look good right now, but he has a nice stroke, so improvement can be expected in the coming seasons. The Lakers FO must believe that and it's the reason he was kept out of the recent trade talks.

You hear people describe him as crafty. And it’s true, it’s his best attribute right now. But what makes him crafty is his footwork and his touch, it’s very advanced for his age. These same skills will not really translate immediately to ranged shooting but will be very useful in the mid range. Also, his strong upper body and long reach will make it easy for him to finish over opponents.

Come to think of it, i actually dont mind seeing him post up from time to time especially when guarded by smaller guards. Would be interesting to see.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject:

Tough stretch for him lately. How long does the ‘but he is so young’ narrative continue? And I am huge fan of his.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject:

windycitycane wrote:
Tough stretch for him lately. How long does the ‘but he is so young’ narrative continue? And I am huge fan of his.

He's 20 yrs old so the narrative has couple years of breathing room
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

20 years old. I still believe.

But I think he's 2 years from being 6 months away.

His team defense is horrible. He's always out of place and can't keep up with speedy guards. But he can steal/block thanks to his insane wingspan, but I think Vogel knows he needs a lot of seasoning defensively.

And 3 point shooting wise, whoa. Time to bust out Kobe's shooting bible he gave to Ariza.

Teams are scouting him now and I'm confident over time he will find counters.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 117 of 202
Jump to: