NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
new cases are down, good.
vaccines taking a bit longer to be generally available, expected.
more mutation news as virus evolve due to antibodies from vaccination and prior infections.

looks like covid is here to stay.
hopefully severity becomes like the cold and the flu
even with mutations, we have some level of protection from severe cases

Of course the new cases are down. The PCR test threshold was changed to ensure the numbers went down.

All the other societal safety protocols of vaccinations, masking, social distancing and intelligent safety measures all absolutely contribute.

But changing the line in the sand of what constitutes a "positive" sure contributes to the "new cases being down".

Do you have a source where you're getting your information from?
I'm only aware of one incidence of confusion which the following clears up:
https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/most-positive-pcr-test-results-are-true-positives-who-information-notice-didnt-change-threshold-or-criteria-for-a-positive-test/?fbclid=IwAR1DrdR__cDvwEl4CP4CWBQPIiiXnrHsEyq-Oj8ni6r8mK1Oc_6E3PSPRZM

Thank you for posting the article. But even the "fact check" aspect of the article has nuances when using critical reading skills. How those nuances are interpreted can be the difference in opinion. Whether by trained professionals or by laymen.

In the article and from the WHO release itself they discuss the current results of the positives and the need to evaluate the overall patient symptoms subjectively if results are "weak". What is considered a "weak" positive that should be considered by professionals interpreting the test results?

Bottom line, the PCR testing has been under discussion for months concerning the "sensitivity" of the testing results. For lack of a better term, "false positives". WHO recently addressed it by stating that those "weak" positive tests need to be evaluated differently. Even in the stated replies quoted it stated "even an inconsequential 1% change in results would change the reporting totals". Is it 1%/ More?

The WHO may not have "admitted" any changes but in reality the changes in numbers can be in some small part attributed to how the test data is interpreted and reported.

And to be clear, My opinion is the numbers changed in some small way because of a recently changed criteria. You interpret that same info any way you want. The reported numbers has little to do with our need to remain vigilant and follow safe social protocols.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

<snip>

Thank you for posting the article. But even the "fact check" aspect of the article has nuances when using critical reading skills. How those nuances are interpreted can be the difference in opinion. Whether by trained professionals or by laymen.

In the article and from the WHO release itself they discuss the current results of the positives and the need to evaluate the overall patient symptoms subjectively if results are "weak". What is considered a "weak" positive that should be considered by professionals interpreting the test results?

Bottom line, the PCR testing has been under discussion for months concerning the "sensitivity" of the testing results. For lack of a better term, "false positives". WHO recently addressed it by stating that those "weak" positive tests need to be evaluated differently. Even in the stated replies quoted it stated "even an inconsequential 1% change in results would change the reporting totals". Is it 1%/ More?

The WHO may not have "admitted" any changes but in reality the changes in numbers can be in some small part attributed to how the test data is interpreted and reported.

And to be clear, My opinion is the numbers changed in some small way because of a recently changed criteria. You interpret that same info any way you want. The reported numbers has little to do with our need to remain vigilant and follow safe social protocols.

I see, thanks. Just so we're clear my intent was to make sure I had not missed some valid source of information. And agreed on remaining vigilant.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Update on Johnson and Johnson’s single dose vaccine

https://www.businessinsider.com/moderna-scientist-kizzy-johnson-and-johnson-covid-shot-darn-good-2021-1?amp

Basically results are pretty darn good. 85 percent effective in reducing severe Covid.

72 percent effective in reducing symptoms from Covid in the USA. Bad news is about 55 percent effective in South Africa where a new variant of Covid makes up a majority of cases. In other words it may have a harder time against the new Covid variant from South Africa.

Since it’s single dose it could be definitely help with vaccine distribution and eve through it’s less effective than Moderna or Pfizer it still very effective in reducing severe Covid and deaths. They are expected to start emergency use authorization with FDA starting next week.

thanks lar

is the 85% in reducing severe symptoms the same parameter as the pfizer being 95%? or is it the 72% for apples to apples?

Actually the 85 percent isnt the same 95 percent for Moderna and Pfizer vaccine.

The Moderna and Pfizer are 95 percent effective in reducing the chance of having symptoms from Covid while Johnson and Johnson is 72 percent effective in this so not as good as Pfizer and Moderna.

But it is 85 percent effective in reducing severe Covid which are symptoms like Fever and Shortness and breath while Pfizer and Moderna are about 100 percent effective in this.

But the end result in reducing death and hospitalization all these 3 are 100 percent effective even against Variants. As far as heard Latest results show that out of about 40 million Americans who at least receive one dose of Moderna or Pfizer none have died from Covid. Meaning if we all go and get the vaccine once available there is a good chance this Covid thing will be signicantly reduced if not over.

And early data shows one dose can also reduce transmission to others. Data for the same on two doses should come in April, but Isreali who has already given two doses to a significant number of their population have reported significantly reduced viral loads in vaccinated people who received the vaccine and still got Covid, which should translate to a significant reduction in transmission.

So all in all very good results regarding these vaccines. Supply still limited but their appears to plans on the works starting Aril that should increase availability along with Johnson and a Johnson vaccine becoming available.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

https://www.businessinsider.com/moderna-scientist-kizzy-johnson-and-johnson-covid-shot-darn-good-2021-1?amp

Basically results are pretty darn good. 85 percent effective in reducing severe Covid.

72 percent effective in reducing symptoms from Covid in the USA. Bad news is about 55 percent effective in South Africa where a new variant of Covid makes up a majority of cases. In other words it may have a harder time against the new Covid variant from South Africa.

Since it’s single dose it could be definitely help with vaccine distribution and eve through it’s less effective than Moderna or Pfizer it still very effective in reducing severe Covid and deaths. They are expected to start emergency use authorization with FDA starting next week.

thanks lar

is the 85% in reducing severe symptoms the same parameter as the pfizer being 95%? or is it the 72% for apples to apples?

Actually the 85 percent isnt the same 95 percent for Moderna and Pfizer vaccine.

The Moderna and Pfizer are 95 percent effective in reducing the chance of having symptoms from Covid while Johnson and Johnson is 72 percent effective in this so not as good as Pfizer and Moderna.

But it is 85 percent effective in reducing severe Covid which are symptoms like Fever and Shortness and breath while Pfizer and Moderna are about 100 percent effective in this.

But the end result in reducing death and hospitalization all these 3 are 100 percent effective even against Variants. As far as heard Latest results show that out of about 40 million Americans who at least receive one dose of Moderna or Pfizer none have died from Covid. Meaning if we all go and get the vaccine once available there is a good chance this Covid thing will be signicantly reduced if not over.

And early data shows one dose can also reduce transmission to others. Data for the same on two doses should come in April, but Isreali who has already given two doses to a significant number of their population have reported significantly reduced viral loads in vaccinated people who received the vaccine and still got Covid, which should translate to a significant reduction in transmission.

So all in all very good results regarding these vaccines. Supply still limited but their appears to plans on the works starting Aril that should increase availability along with Johnson and a Johnson vaccine becoming available.

thanks for the explanation, lar

knock on wood, but i am already planning real estate purchase assuming a noticeable reduction in work from remote by mid summer...
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

thanks lar

knock on wood, but i am already planning real estate purchase assuming a noticeable reduction in work from remote by mid summer...

How interesting Cal1. I suppose a real estate purchase to get closer to work should you stop working remotely?

This is one of the things I wonder, although a little off the medical topic.

When this pandemic ends whenever that might be, how many people will go back to work in person vs remotely?

I mean I take the train to work because I live in Orange County but work in LA. It used to be full of people now hardly anyone, maybe 1 to 2 percent of the people still use the train. My guess is some aren’t working anymore, some drive now, but many are working remotely. I just didn’t know so many jobs can be done remotely.

Now people know this can be done, perhaps some may still remain remotely especially if there is no loss of efficacy. The IT department for example at my work I think they can work remotely. My wife works at a law office and her boss said he wound offer working in person or remotely even after the pandemic.

This can have major changes on traffic Uber And the use of public transportation among many things
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Raptors coach Nick Nurse and five other members of the Toronto coaching staff are entering the league's health and safety protocols and will not coach tonight, @NYTSports has learned

cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

thanks lar

How interesting Cal1. I suppose a real estate purchase to get closer to work should you stop working remotely?

This is one of the things I wonder, although a little off the medical topic.

When this pandemic ends whenever that might be, how many people will go back to work in person vs remotely?

I mean I take the train to work because I live in Orange County but work in LA. It used to be full of people now hardly anyone, maybe 1 to 2 percent of the people still use the train. My guess is some aren’t working anymore, some drive now, but many are working remotely. I just didn’t know so many jobs can be done remotely.

Now people know this can be done, perhaps some may still remain remotely especially if there is no loss of efficacy. The IT department for example at my work I think they can work remotely. My wife works at a law office and her boss said he wound offer working in person or remotely even after the pandemic.

This can have major changes on traffic Uber And the use of public transportation among many things

hey lar

actually i am looking to sell my house in sf area. prices where i am shot up due to people leaving the city. the remote-work trend may continue but retreat a bit. so i am selling it, and may get a condo in vegas. my startup is in los angeles but i can almost be anywhere

i have talked to a few real estate people and most think remote work is here to stay even after the covid crisis... though at a lower level than it is currently...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject:

Houses in NJ/PA/NY have been expensive! Almost all that I’ve seen are sold above asking
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/jonlemire/status/1366863250323816448?s=21

If this is true, imo they will have full crowds for the playoffs. Maybe 50% or a bit more if they want to distance the crowd...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Reporting with @wojespn and @mcten —Members of Los Angeles Lakers expected to get COVID-19 vaccine this week, sources tell ESPN. They’ll join the Pelicans, Hawks and Trail Blazers with players and staffers who have been vaccinated.

PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject:

Please vaccinate the old man before he has an injured ankle and conditioning issues.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Reporting with @wojespn and @mcten —Members of Los Angeles Lakers expected to get COVID-19 vaccine this week, sources tell ESPN. They’ll join the Pelicans, Hawks and Trail Blazers with players and staffers who have been vaccinated.

Great news!
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Please vaccinate the old man before he has an injured ankle and conditioning issues.

He already hinted that he doesn't want to take the vaccine.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Might mess with LeHGH j/k.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

That's not how I read his statement, but I get the interpretation.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Might mess with LeHGH j/k.

Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Great news. Hoping all players and coaching staff get it. It would be terrible to have any of them out during the playoffs due to health/safety protocols
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Markazi:

Quote:
The Lakers and Clippers could be welcoming a limited number of fans back to Staples Center before the start of the playoffs next month.

lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Great news. Hoping all players and coaching staff get it. It would be terrible to have any of them out during the playoffs due to health/safety protocols

I am wondering if the NBA will change protocols on vaccinated players and staff? I don’t know all the current restrictions, but I know there is a limitation on Team practice time. And perhaps a limitation on practice time players can have with individual coaches.

Current cdc guidelines allow fully vaccinated people to gather indoors unmasked and with unvaccinated members of one household if they have low risk of severe disease.

For the NBA this might mean no or less restrictions on practice time if a good portion of the team and staff are vaccinated.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I am wondering if the NBA will change protocols on vaccinated players and staff? I don’t know all the current restrictions, but I know there is a limitation on Team practice time. And perhaps a limitation on practice time players can have with individual coaches.

Current cdc guidelines allow fully vaccinated people to gather indoors unmasked and with unvaccinated members of one household if they have low risk of severe disease.

For the NBA this might mean no or less restrictions on practice time if a good portion of the team and staff are vaccinated.

It will change for sure. Fully vaccinated without symptoms doesn’t even need to take covid test pre or post domestic flights nor need to self quarantine after arrival
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

It will change for sure. Fully vaccinated without symptoms doesn’t even need to take covid test pre or post domestic flights nor need to self quarantine after arrival

That is cool governator I just heard that today.

Another thing I am thinking if NBA players want to be fully vaccinated before the playoffs (which I think begins end of May?), it seems they will have to get the first dose (if its Moderna or Pfizer) by the middle of this month or so since they have to wait about 3-4 weeks for the second shot. Than its 2 weeks after that before they don't have to quarantine after COVID exposure. That might be hard to do for some teams perhaps.

But if they get the Johnson and Johnson one shot vaccine, they could wait longer.

And perhaps the NBA would consider a gap between the first round of the playoffs and season to allow players and staff to get their second dose because that second dose is tough..some will be terribly fatiqued for a day or so and won't be able to play or coach.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Markazi:

Quote:
The Lakers and Clippers could be welcoming a limited number of fans back to Staples Center before the start of the playoffs next month.

Clippers Farbod says April 15.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
Markazi:

Quote:

Clippers Farbod says April 15.

Sea of purple and gold for both teams lol
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

The team announced it plans to have fans in attendance for Lakers/Celtics on 4/15.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject:

So the Lakers will raise a banner in front of the Celtics. Pretty sweet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 121 of 130
Jump to: