Meghan Markle interview with Oprah
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Meghan Markle interview with Oprah

Anyone watching?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Normally I don’t care about this topic, but it is a good interview.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Normally I don’t care about this topic, but it is a good interview.

Same. Thought it would just be some spoiled prima donna complaining about Kardashian level stuff.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject:

Nothing she said surprised me. The royal family are who they are. She knew this marrying into it. I would hope she did at least. I don’t care for either parties tbh.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Nothing she said surprised me. The royal family are who they are. She knew this marrying into it. I would hope she did at least. I don’t care for either parties tbh.

It was much worse than she could've imagined. It killed her mother-in-law.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I think given that Diana’s story has been everywhere, and given her own celebrity, and having met the family, she had enough of an idea to know better, but I think the allure of going from c to a list and being a literal princess (which seems to be so popular among American girls for some reason) was pretty strong. So she didn’t deserve a lot what she got but she wasn’t exactly a bystander either, and she’s still trying to figure how to have and profit from it all without the downside.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

She's not innocent, my guess is even with her experience with celebrity, being a royal comes with its own challenges that most people will never grasp unless you grew up in that lifestyle. The fairy tale wedding is over, now comes with real life challenge where she has to navigate that life that she chose.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think given that Diana’s story has been everywhere, and given her own celebrity, and having met the family, she had enough of an idea to know better, but I think the allure of going from c to a list and being a literal princess (which seems to be so popular among American girls for some reason) was pretty strong. So she didn’t deserve a lot what she got but she wasn’t exactly a bystander either, and she’s still trying to figure how to have and profit from it all without the downside.

This.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully she can find satisfaction in only ever being a drama queen.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Meghan Mark-up
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
C M B wrote:

Meghan Mark-up

Haters.

Self-directed women of color are the most despised of G-d's creations, even on International Women's Day.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I knew British tabloids carry a much larger audience and weight than tabloids in America.

The severity of their overt racism was a surprise to me though.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Well it's heartening to see on International Women's day the shows of empathy and respect for this woman trying to navigate a difficult and painful situation.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I didn't watch but she's surprised that a family who's wealth was built on the blood of black and brown people could be racist?

Yeah I knew this and I have no regard for them.

Source: My Indian ancestors
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

It's a love story. Harry, "From this moment on I'm no longer Prince Harry." He gave up his right to the throne for his love of Megan. LINK It wasn't specificly admitted but race played a part in Megan and Harry's dilemma.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Well it's heartening to see on International Women's day the shows of empathy and respect for this woman trying to navigate a difficult and painful situation.

I’d like to tell you that you are often an inspiration to me with your empathy your intelligence your humanity and your passion. You are also a source of shame to me sometimes when you bring aspects of my behavior and/or character to light for me in a way that makes me want to change them. You are also occasionally someone I disagree with. This is one of those times.

I think it cheapens the pain that millions of women go through to enshrine the life and times of ms. Markel (and her husband) as some equivalent. Parts of it are. It is disgusting that people behave in racist ways toward her, and the predatory tabloid press is as evil and mean as it is useless.

That said, no sentient adult human in the English speaking world has even the slightest doubt about how horrible (and anachronistic) the pit of inbred vipers that is the English royal family is. We’ve been subjected to thousands of hours of the Diana story. We get it. They are awful, entitled, small, miserable wretches living out a stupendously ridiculous and nonsensical excess of an existence precisely because stuffy old brits need to feel a connection to their past evil empire, and yes, generations of women on both sides of the pond provide a thriving business in princess fantasy.

Ms. Markel can’t be expected to know every detail, although between being a low level celebrity and actually meeting and engaging with the royals she has a pretty fair idea (and so do we), that it’s a rather shabby affair when you get beyond the fairy tale weddings and the castle exteriors. She wasn’t walking in there some innocent babe in the woods plucked from her idyllic privacy. She was a c level celebrity who wanted the a list fanfare and the princess fantasy, even though there’s ample evidence of what it entailed.

Three short years into it, it’s clear that it is everything everyone knows it is, and there’s also a lot of tedious official duties. So she wants to get out. Great. She and he get out with a fortune paid for by their association with the family, and a string of business opportunities that are also predicated on that association, and they are now selling their sad tale of woe to the highest most prestigious bidder and getting paid a fortune for it. Also fine. Not a complaint from me. Get what you want if you can. Just don’t ask me to feel incredibly story that you went from a somewhat part time actor (sorry, I refuse to gender that work title) and very fringe celebrity into a massive business with all the perks and privilege that entails by doing around three years of playing rich royal with a cast of reprobates you already knew were (bleep). You’ve made incredible wealth and privilege out of something you went into with the reasonable expectation that it it was exploitive and hideously public and populated with nothing but a cast of petty grasping villains.

There is a human suffering that I’m empathetic to. But it is hard to equate that to single women struggling to feed and raise children on poverty wages with racism sexism and the entire system against them. She’s worth fifty million dollars, and has a fairly easy seven to eight figure income available to her. And she’s required to do maybe fifteen hours a week of fairly easy work, if that. And it’s not just her. It’s not like her husband is some prize who has been deeply disadvantaged beyond inbreeding and upbringing by unlikable and unkind rich people who make their rich living pantomiming ridiculous pageantry for the public.

You can’t say you don’t want all the trappings of royalty and then take the money and the public brand and run with it while giving up all the mundane public relations drudgery and expect any reasonable person to think you’re not much more than a slightly more clever grifter than the rest of them.

I hope they love each other and their child and are happy and find fulfilling and useful and edifying lives. I wish them no ill and I’m fine with them giving up the stodgy trappings of a thing long since useless and even taking the money and running (although that’s not admirable in any way). Just don’t ask me to feel sorry for someone significantly more than 99% of the world population would gladly switch places with even if you told them all the worst parts up front of the three years they would have to do to be rich and free and do whatever they want.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject:

I think it’s unfair to assume a woman decided to marry to “upgrade her status” rather than because she found a partner she wanted to spend her life.

Sure there’s a lot the public know about the family’s treatment of Diana but that was mostly led by her own husband — it’s reasonable to think that if your spouse won’t mistreat AND won’t tolerate his family mistreating you then it shouldn’t be nearly as bad, albeit it will still be far from perfect in-laws.

To say that a person “knew what they were signing up for” as they talk about being suicidal is a terrible display of victim blaming imo.

What exactly should she have done? Endured even if it cost her her life eventually? Not married and pass up on a future with the man she loves and children? Had more demands before the marriage and get labeled a diva? I feel as though she did the best she could and endured far more than anyone should have before she said enough. She showed strength. And now that she shows weakness it’s her own fault for being naive and deserves no sympathy? I just don’t see how that is fair. Sure there are plenty of people that suffer more than her but there are also those who’ve suffered less and still received empathy — it shouldn’t be a contest.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject:

She can do all of those things. But if they’re taking the royal nest egg and all the revenue streams from being the royals (because let’s face it, if he’s not prince hardy and she’s not married to a prince, no one is interviewing either of them about anything much less paying their entertainment company millions for the privilege), then we’re not talking about some people who just want to be in love and be left alone. They’re running a high dollar business here. Or else they’d walk away. They aren’t looking to get away from it, they’re just rebranding it for themselves. That’s fine if it interests you, and I’m not trying to tell them not to, it’s their life and their opportunity, but just don’t expect you’re conning some sympathy out of me while you do it.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject:

how to watch this? which on demand has it?

interesting to read the debate about if a woman gets the benefit of the doubt or by marrying a rich and more famous person (that she knows would bring her whatever she talked about), she loses that benefit. This is why I want to watch this as I know little about the Brits royals
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject:

English Royalty is an oxymoron.

On another note, there's gold-digging for money and/or fame.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
how to watch this? which on demand has it?

interesting to read the debate about if a woman gets the benefit of the doubt or by marrying a rich and more famous person (that she knows would bring her whatever she talked about), she loses that benefit. This is why I want to watch this as I know little about the Brits royals

CBS app
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
She can do all of those things. But if they’re taking the royal nest egg and all the revenue streams from being the royals (because let’s face it, if he’s not prince hardy and she’s not married to a prince, no one is interviewing either of them about anything much less paying their entertainment company millions for the privilege), then we’re not talking about some people who just want to be in love and be left alone. They’re running a high dollar business here. Or else they’d walk away. They aren’t looking to get away from it, they’re just rebranding it for themselves. That’s fine if it interests you, and I’m not trying to tell them not to, it’s their life and their opportunity, but just don’t expect you’re conning some sympathy out of me while you do it.

You're ignoring the fact that while they can walk away from their roles as working royals, they cannot walk away from their celebrity. We've seen how easy it is for internet nut jobs to find and post name/address/cell info for just about anyone with which they have an axe to grind.

Security for the Sussex' runs about $5 million USD annually. FIVE MILLION DOLLARS EVERY YEAR. Harry inherited $20 million from his mom and Meghan was a c-list celebrity (your words). Prince Charles cut Harry off and the UK was no longer providing security - even if they stayed in the UK. So, yeah, as Harry said, he got the money to protect his family.

WTF are they supposed to do?

Wait for some reddit idiots to find their address and start egging their house/stalking their kids?

Let the next John Hinckley, Jr., martyr them?

Have Harry & Archie walk behind Meghan's casket after paparazzi and/or agents provocateur cause her death?

I love your basketball takes, Omar, but . . . man.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

I think there is an inherent problem initiating a narrative that is akin to "well, yes, what happened to her is horrible, but she brought it on because she should have known what would happen". Is this any different than slut shaming some college co-ed because she gets drunk wearing some tight dress to a frat party and is raped? Pragmatically, sure, she shouldn't have put herself in that situation, but she also should 100% have the ability to wear whatever she wants, do whatever she wants and not get raped. Focusing on the former instead of the latter just perpetuates the problem, as we all know historically.

While these arguments regarding victimology do rely on some foundational logic, they also perpetuate the cycle that helps to excuse the same conduct which made that person a victim in the first place. Victimology should be used as a tool to help victims avoid situations where they become victims, but not as a tool to cast blame on those same victims for becoming victims.

There are people out there who are more sympathetic and deserving of our attention that Markel, sure. However, that doesn't make her any less of a victim given her own circumstances. Framing Markel as "having it coming" is just the wrong approach IMO because it is the exact kind of response which historically led to modern day systemic racism and sexism to begin with.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject:

That’s cool. I just find that royal stuff so depressingly awful and can’t figure out why people go after it in the first place in this day and time, and then are all upset that it’s exactly what everyone knows it is. It’s the farthest thing from the real world. You do make a fair point about the security.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure "feeling sorry for her" is how I'd frame it. I sympathize with her. Mental health issues are real. Family dynamics are tough, especially when money is involved. And the racial prejudice from the royal family, the tabloid media, Piers Morgan, and a large portion of the UK population in general is disgusting, unwarranted, and hateful.

I guess I don't "feel sorry for her" because she has the resources to get help and to improve her situation. I wish she didn't go through what she went through. But I "feel sorry for" people who go through similar tribulation and they don't have any recourse.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: