View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I can't help but see Will the person no matter what role he plays.

It's "Will playing a zombie apocalypse survivor".
Or "Will playing a tecnnology skeptic" (I Robot).
Or "Will playing Muhammed Ali" (Ali).

FWIW, those are my 3 favorite Will movies. But I'm very self aware I'm watching him play a role whenever he acts. It's tough to explain beyond that.

And if I'm honest, that's what separates Brad Pitt from Leonardo Dicaprio in my book as well.

Maybe Will and Brad are just too damn charismatic as people for their own good (for me). I forget I'm watching Leo when I watch Shutter Island, Inception , Revenant, or Wolf of Wall Street. But as good as Money Ball was. I still just saw it as a movie where Brad played a MLB GM.

I get that, although Brad is by far the best actor of the three.

Fwiw, I invite you to watch a double feature of A River Runs Through it and Spy Game. The first is directed by Redford and the second stars both Redford and Pitt, and along with their easy but deep and crackling chemistry, you easily see how much Pitt resembles a young Redford in so many ways. And how good both of them are lifting a prosaic if well done thriller with the nuance of their acting. Pitt is probably his generation’s most underrated actor, precisely because of how charismatic he is. But he is completely unafraid of any type roles, even those that don’t show off his pretty looks. He’s as at home in 12 monkeys as he is in Legends of the Fall.

That easy chemistry with another actor, Clooney, who like Pitt and Redford is both massively charismatic and wears it very easily, makes the ocean franchise what it is. It is a commercial romp for sure, but their partnership on and off screen drives it. He’s the kind of actor that rather than overshadowing a cast or competing with other strong leads blends and pulls good performances out of them. I admire his work a lot.

I'll check out the double feature sometime this week. Haven't seen either film before. When I'm done I'll get back to you.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
^ Not 24 but I liked it. I also liked I, Robot as well.

What is your favorite Will Smith movie?

Hmm, I don't really have one None of Will's movies have really blown me away. On the other hand, pretty much all of his movies are at the very least entertaining.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject:

I second Spy Game. I actually think I’ll be re-watching that one this weekend since it’s been awhile.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

And how good both of them are lifting a prosaic if well done thriller with the nuance of their acting.

That's what I was gonna say in my post, but I forgot.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

And how good both of them are lifting a prosaic if well done thriller with the nuance of their acting.

That's what I was gonna say in my post, but I forgot.

I will hand write it into your coffee table book, maybe after a post about Luka and Harden.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

One of the great things about (bleep) around with movies is while watching a rare Rene Clair flick you find out about the career of Blind Beast director Yasuzo Masumura and realize it's brutally difficult to track down any of his films and the emptiness fills you again.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject:

Judas and the Black Messiah. Based on a true story. I went to college with the sister of one of the names mentioned in the film, Alprentice "Bunchy" Carter. He was killed at UCLA.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Paul Thomas Anderson is the only American director alive, under the age of 70, who has seamlessly integrated and modernized Old Hollywood into his work from Punch Drunk Love through Phantom Thread.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Paul Thomas Anderson is the only American director alive, under the age of 70, who has seamlessly integrated and modernized Old Hollywood into his work from Punch Drunk Love through Phantom Thread.

Inherent Vice is my favorite of modern PTA. I enjoyed it more on second viewing thanks in part to the added subtitles.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

Inherent Vice is my favorite of modern PTA. I enjoyed it more on second viewing thanks in part to the added subtitles.

I watched it tonight. Good movie. Circular with an unpredictable ending.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

I watched it tonight. Good movie. Circular with an unpredictable ending.

We got jodeke on board!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I'll check out the double feature sometime this week. Haven't seen either film before. When I'm done I'll get back to you.

A River Runs Through It was good. I liked it as much as I could ever like a fly-fishing movie set in Montana. If Brad wasn't in it. I probably wouldn't have finished it. His charisma helped keep me engaged in a plot-line that wasn't for me. Reminded me of American novels I read in high school and undergrad.

Spy Game was more my type of story. Might be the first Tony Scott film I've ever seen. The way it's edited and paced made me laugh. Was definitely of it's time (2001). But I enjoyed it alot. Redford as an older actor in this film. Comes off like a much cooler version of older Harrison Ford. Ford played some cool guys when he was younger. But I don't see 60+ Ford every pulling off how cool Redford naturally was in that movie.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
kikanga wrote:

A River Runs Through It was good. I liked it as much as I could ever like a fly-fishing movie set in Montana. If Brad wasn't in it. I probably wouldn't have finished it. His charisma helped keep me engaged in a plot-line that wasn't for me. Reminded me of American novels I read in high school and undergrad.

Spy Game was more my type of story. Might be the first Tony Scott film I've ever seen. The way it's edited and paced made me laugh. Was definitely of it's time (2001). But I enjoyed it alot. Redford as an older actor in this film. Comes off like a much cooler version of older Harrison Ford. Ford played some cool guys when he was younger. But I don't see 60+ Ford every pulling off how cool Redford naturally was in that movie.

Yeah, a River runs through it is a highly acclaimed short story that is certainly dated in its material, but I love the chemistry of the actors and the beautiful meditation on timeless concepts like brotherhood, obligation, seeking that perfect moment, and a host of others. It is stark and beautiful and tragic.

Ford and Redford definitely have different gravitas. Redford just much more Pitt while Ford is not quite as overtly charismatic in that way.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Just a list of a thousand or so of Scorsese's favorite movies for you to see how much you haven't seen yet: Mubi.com

And a Scorsese-penned tribute to the late Fellini: Harpers
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Well, it's of its time in that Tony Scott goes full gonzo in the 2000s, but it's distinctly his style. Give Man on Fire (2004) a shot if you can track it down - it's the purest distillation of Scott's visual excess and has a wonderful Denzel action star performance to boot.

Also, if you're taking requests, Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner (1998) is streaming on Prime and is worth a watch.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Well, it's of its time in that Tony Scott goes full gonzo in the 2000s, but it's distinctly his style. Give Man on Fire (2004) a shot if you can track it down - it's the purest distillation of Scott's visual excess and has a wonderful Denzel action star performance to boot.

Also, if you're taking requests, Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner (1998) is streaming on Prime and is worth a watch.

Yeah, man on fire definitely worth the watch.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject:

The Tramp, the original Impractical Joker:

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Have to admit I’d have a hard time choosing between Ridley or Tony Scott. Love both of their styles
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Yeah, man on fire definitely worth the watch.

A Man On Fire first came out in 1987. Creasy was played by Scott Glen. Denzel made the film in 2004. I thought Denzel made the better version.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Words W.C. Fields taught me:

Cicerone
Larrikin
Spondulicks
Osculation

For all the parents out there dealing with stay-at-home schooling, W.C. Fields movies are a great way to expand your child's vocabulary.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Just a list of a thousand or so of Scorsese's favorite movies for you to see how much you haven't seen yet: Mubi.com

I sincerely doubt Scorsese is as big an Aster fan as this page suggests. I know they work together on some film appreciation projects, so it's undoubtedly Mary just being nice, because otherwise their inclusion (on a list that includes, like, ~50 films after 2000) is mind boggling.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

I sincerely doubt Scorsese is as big an Aster fan as this page suggests. I know they work together on some film appreciation projects, so it's undoubtedly Mary just being nice, because otherwise their inclusion (on a list that includes, like, ~50 films after 2000) is mind boggling.

Yeah, this is a fan built list based on Scorsese's public comments, dvd commentaries, personal documentaries, and writings, so take the inclusion of some of the more contemporary films with a grain of salt. We definitely know he thinks Joker sucked, though lol.

Aster seems like a poseur to me whose not insignificant formal talents would be better served outside of the horror genre, but I'm just happy he hasn't been rounded up by Disney to make a live action Jafar origin story yet.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Yeah, this is a fan built list based on Scorsese's public comments, dvd commentaries, personal documentaries, and writings, so take the inclusion of some of the more contemporary films with a grain of salt. We definitely know he thinks Joker sucked, though lol.

Aster seems like a poseur to me whose not insignificant formal talents would be better served outside of the horror genre, but I'm just happy he hasn't been rounded up by Disney to make a live action Jafar origin story yet.

Absolutely. As far as this new art house horror stuff goes, Eggers seems like the one to watch.

Also, please delete your post, lest you give da Mouse any ideas . . .
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject:

Promising Young Woman was incredible. I highly recommend it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Have to admit I’d have a hard time choosing between Ridley or Tony Scott. Love both of their styles

Ridley's highs are higher, but Tony consistently did his own thing well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 97 of 189
Jump to: