Martin Edward Schottenheimer (September 23, 1943 – February 8, 2021)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Martin Edward Schottenheimer (September 23, 1943 – February 8, 2021)

Quote:
Former NFL head coach Marty Schottenheimer died Monday after dealing with Alzheimer's disease for several years. He was 77.

Schottenheimer was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2014. He was moved to a hospice facility near his home in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Jan. 30 because of complications from the irreversible, progressive brain disorder.

Schottenheimer was a head coach for 21 seasons in the NFL, leading the Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, Washington and the Chargers.

He posted a 205-139-1 career record, including the playoffs, leading his teams to the postseason 13 times. Although Schottenheimer coached in three AFC Championship Games, two with the Browns and one with the Chiefs, he never made a Super Bowl.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30866875/nfl-coaching-legend-marty-schottenheimer-dies-77
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

RIP to a great coach and person. To me he was a modern day Schula. He seemed to win almost everywhere he went. Just a shame his teams could never quite figure things out.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

As a lifelong Charger fan, I loved Marty. I still haven’t forgiven AJ Smith and Dean Spanos for firing him after finishing 14-2.

RIP Coach. Martyball Forever

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

This wasn't a surprise considering but I was surprised to find out he died 21 years to the day of Derrick Thomas. I found that rather eerie.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
As a lifelong Charger fan, I loved Marty. I still haven’t forgiven AJ Smith and Dean Spanos for firing him after finishing 14-2.

The 14-2 team was the best team the Chargers have ever had including the 1994 team that went to their only Super Bowl.

We should have won it all that year, we were clearly the best team.

Marlon McCree, damn you!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Moses wrote:

The 14-2 team was the best team the Chargers have ever had including the 1994 team that went to their only Super Bowl.

We should have won it all that year, we were clearly the best team.

Marlon McCree, damn you!

That was a stacked team too bad they ran into the Pats in their first playoff game.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

If not for Marlon McCree then the 06 Chargers easily advance to the super bowl and beat the Bears. That was LTs last truly great season. He had a couple of good 1k yard campaigns after that but he was an absolute monster in 06.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
If not for Marlon McCree then the 06 Chargers easily advance to the super bowl and beat the Bears. That was LTs last truly great season. He had a couple of good 1k yard campaigns after that but he was an absolute monster in 06.

For that I'm truly grateful as the Colts wouldn't have been able to beat the Chargers(they rarely could). I did however know we could beat the Pats at home and felt it was their destiny to do so if they were to go to the SB and fortunately win it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

And the following year LT was injured in the AFC championship game. 2006 was peak LT and Chargers didn't take advantage.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

Bummer. I really feel like his Browns teams should have cashed in as well
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

And the following year LT was injured in the AFC championship game. 2006 was peak LT and Chargers didn't take advantage.

He was, and Rivers played that game on a torn ACL.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:

I think he would have finally made it to a Super Bowl (or more than one) if they kept him. The Chargers were a joke when he first took over. Might be the worst firing ever.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Yep, LT's 2006 season was arguably the greatest single season ever by a Running Back.

That team had everything, really. The defense was incredible, the offensive line was great with Marcus McNiel/Kris Dielman/Hardwick, had prime Vincent Jackson and prime Antonio Gates.. So stacked.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: