loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
^ How'd yah end up a Bucs fan?

Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks were exciting players when I was young and first started watching. Since LA didn’t have a team I picked them and was lucky enough to see them build to a superbowl within a few years. It’s crazy realizing I’ve been following the team — with varying levels of interest — for 20+ years. I remember when I believed Josh Freeman could really take us places. Then Jamies.

Ah yes. I put that 2002 team on the same tier defensively as the 1985 Bears, 2000 Ravens and 2013 Seahawks.

It was incredible. I was too young to realize that it wasn’t a sustainable level of play so when the team fell off afterwards it sucked to find out that way.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject:

misterchipmunk wrote:
That was the worst performance from an offensive line I have ever seen in a long time. Bucs front 4 just ate them up. Mahomes was pressured all game and basically shut down KC offense.

Give it up the coaching staff for TB, they prepared and out coached KC. That defense showed up.

Bucs defense were given up seams while they were in a cover 2 almost all game. The common sense thing the for Chiefs to do would be run a west coast style offense where the offense is quickly dumped off for 5 -8 yard throws. But no they got way too impatient way too early and started wasting possessions on the deep routes that their banged up oline couldnt possible protect enough to let develop.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
^ How'd yah end up a Bucs fan?

Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks were exciting players when I was young and first started watching. Since LA didn’t have a team I picked them and was lucky enough to see them build to a superbowl within a few years. It’s crazy realizing I’ve been following the team — with varying levels of interest — for 20+ years. I remember when I believed Josh Freeman could really take us places. Then Jamies.

Ah yes. I put that 2002 team on the same tier defensively as the 1985 Bears, 2000 Ravens and 2013 Seahawks.

It was incredible. I was too young to realize that it wasn’t a sustainable level of play so when the team fell off afterwards it sucked to find out that way.

If you were a little older and watched the Raiders in LA, you would be like me and been rooting for the other team in Superbowl 2002. Rich Gannon really had the deck stacked against him with that Bucs defense comparable to the 2000 Ravens defense and Jon Gruden knowing all of Bill Callahan's plays and All Pro Center Barret Robbins leaving the team right before the Superbowl and the Raiders ditching the West Coast for a power running game and then switching it again right before the Super Bowl. Despite all this and trailing 31-3, Gannon and the Raiders made a comeback and made it competitive unlike Mahomes who just completely folded to an inferior defense than the one Gannon faced.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

Bucs wouldn't have won without TB12's offense.....look at Super Bowl 53 for an example, Rams had an amazing defense all game long holding the Pats to 13 points but couldn't score if their life depended on it. You do need to score to win a game. That game was the beginning of the end of Goff in a Rams uniform.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
misterchipmunk wrote:
That was the worst performance from an offensive line I have ever seen in a long time. Bucs front 4 just ate them up. Mahomes was pressured all game and basically shut down KC offense.

Give it up the coaching staff for TB, they prepared and out coached KC. That defense showed up.

Bucs defense were given up seams while they were in a cover 2 almost all game. The common sense thing the for Chiefs to do would be run a west coast style offense where the offense is quickly dumped off for 5 -8 yard throws. But no they got way too impatient way too early and started wasting possessions on the deep routes that their banged up oline couldnt possible protect enough to let develop.

The Bucs ran two man high, cover 2 and cover 4 for most of the game.

Mahomes only picked up yardage when they played two safeties very deep late in the game, to reduce the possibility of the big play. They also played their corner more towards the sidelines, in part to keep the plays in front of the safeties, and to run the clock on any KC completions.

Bowles was smart, the playoffs were a major contrast to how the Bucs "generic" soft zone coverage (usually cover 2 with padding) during most of the regular season. KC is a very explosive team, capable of scoring form the locker room. But here's what's strange: Despite the fact they have the best TE in the game (Kelce), they are remarkably poor in the red zone (poor running game shows up). If you consistently limit Hill with bracket coverage, you force dink and dunk drives by Mahomes (not his strength) and the drive ends up in the red zone, where KC isn't effective.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Murdock wrote:
Jameis Winston scored more TD's against the Bucs defense than Patrick Mahomes did

They (Saints) should've started Winston.

Right. How many games did Winston start for New Orleans this season? Oh, that's right, zero. Well then you must be basing on what Winston did in relief. How many passes did Winston throw while Brees was out? Oh, that's right, 11 passes during the regular season.

Brilliant. Just to remind you, he's third on the Saints depth chart.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Murdock wrote:
Jameis Winston scored more TD's against the Bucs defense than Patrick Mahomes did

Right. How many games did Winston start for New Orleans this season? Oh, that's right, zero. Well then you must be basing on what Winston did in relief. How many passes did Winston throw while Brees was out? Oh, that's right, 11 passes during the regular season.

Brees was cooked. Donezo. Dude couldn't even get off a check down without a grimace. Winston hand the longest pass completion of that game lol.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Murdock wrote:

Brees was cooked. Donezo. Dude couldn't even get off a check down without a grimace. Winston hand the longest pass completion of that game lol.

So what can you tell me about the coverage on that pass?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Murdock wrote:

Wide open down the middle. Ok ya got me. But I don't get why it's so controversial to point out that NO would've fared better starting Winston. As he would've at least been physically eligible to throw the football beyond 15 yards which in turn opens up the playbook beyond flat routes screens and check downs. And yes I get that Drew is the mayor of New Orleans, but I've a hard time thinking Winston would've fared any worst given what we saw from Drew.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Murdock wrote:

Wide open down the middle. Ok ya got me. But I don't get why it's so controversial to point out that NO would've fared better starting Winston. As he would've at least been physically eligible to throw the football beyond 15 yards which in turn opens up the playbook beyond flat routes screens and check downs. And yes I get that Drew is the mayor of New Orleans, but I couldn't imagine Winston faring any worst given what we saw from Drew.

Because it wasn't realistic. Look, I think Sean Payton is a miserable SOB, but he's a really smart head coach, and he realized that when Brees was out, Winston wasn't ready to start. It's hard to go from going from one system to another, then receiving only second string practice snaps, then being asked to start a playoff game. It would have been a disaster waiting to happen.

The TD worked because it was a trick play. The offensive formation was showing run, with Winston lined up in the backfield but not at the QB position. Tampa Bay, either due to confusion or a communications breakdown, played it with only one safety, who was shallow. TB played one shallow safety for most of the game as Brees doesn't have much arm. Winston does, there's no way you play one safety shallow with Winston at QB.

I think Bowles/Tampa Bay defensive staff fell asleep on that play. Kamera took the snap, Tampa Bay figured it was a run and either forgot or didn't notice Winston who lined up as a flanker. They were playing the safety as if Brees was still in the game. To be frank, it was the worst play of the postseason by Tampa Bay, just a serious mental mistake.

The bottom line is that it was a trick play drawn up for Winston, and they caught TB napping. They wouldn't have 50 more trick plays for Winston, and nor would Winston give them much of a chance at winning. Brees' arm is shot, but he's far more adept at moving that offense than Winston.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Dude Brees looked miserable. I genuinely felt bad for the guy because I’ve been a fan. You said it yourself Tampa loaded the box all night because they weren’t respecting Brees’s arm. Drew f’n Brees. If anything Winston’s presence alone forces the defense to give you different looks which in turn opens up gaps for Kamara to attack. I stand by what I said earlier in the season on this thread; Payton should’ve gone with Jameis instead of further entertaining the Tayson Hill experiment. Maybe Jamie’s would’ve been ready to perform by then had he had a couple of starts under his belt. But whatever, sucks for Brees more than anything to go out like that. I look forward to Jameis Winston killing it in Payton’s system next season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Brees was completely done by the end of the season, and it wasn't just that his arm strength had dissipated, it's also that he was playing with legitimately debilitating injuries. Injuries, plural. I do think they would have been better off in the playoffs if someone else was starting (Hill or Winston, take your pick), but there was no way they were going to do that to Brees in his swan song. Since he could get on the field, they were going to ride or die with him, given what he's meant to that organization and fan base. I get it. But I genuinely don't think he was their best option at the end of the year. He was just so, so limited. They have a good defense but it wasn't all-World, and they needed more from the QB.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject:

As I said prior to the Super Bowl, the Bucs had to be very judicious about their pass rush. Last year SF was relentless in their pass rush, and blitzed often. By the fourth quarter, they were gassed, which gave Mahomes more time to find his receivers. In game last night, the Bucs only blitzed maybe five times. They also played with some interesting defensive schemes, unlike that usual base 3-4 that they use heavily. Last night they went 3-4, but it looked like they were also rolling with a two down lineman front which was likely confusing to both Mahomes and the patchwork offensive line. I cannot imagine the backup offensive tackles had the best lateral speed, and of course KC isn't much of a running team.

What really killed KC was the balanced attack by Tampa Bay on offense. Once Tampa Bay grabbed the lead, they exploited KC's weak run defense, which killed the clock and more importantly gave the TB defense time to rest their legs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
As I said prior to the Super Bowl, the Bucs had to be very judicious about their pass rush. Last year SF was relentless in their pass rush, and blitzed often. By the fourth quarter, they were gassed, which gave Mahomes more time to find his receivers. In game last night, the Bucs only blitzed maybe five times. They also played with some interesting defensive schemes, unlike that usual base 3-4 that they use heavily. Last night they went 3-4, but it looked like they were also rolling with a two down lineman front which was likely confusing to both Mahomes and the patchwork offensive line. I cannot imagine the backup offensive tackles had the best lateral speed, and of course KC isn't much of a running team.

What really killed KC was the balanced attack by Tampa Bay on offense. Once Tampa Bay grabbed the lead, they exploited KC's weak run defense, which killed the clock and more importantly gave the TB defense time to rest their legs.

Yeah, I think I said before the game that I was very worried about the ragtag KC O-line, and it sure as hell wrecked the game for them. But what I didn't expect was KC's utter inability to make adjustments to that likely reality, and I didn't see a lot of screens, quick hitters, and things of that nature. They just let the pass rush continue to get home, without blitzing, and credit Bowles for recognizing that there was simply no need to blitz yesterday.

I picked TB to cover but KC to win a close one, and in looking back, given the O-line problems, I should have fully pivoted to TB once the Britt Reid accident news happened. That type of stuff just casts a pall over a team, just saps energy, and I should have fully come off KC at that point.

Regardless, the better team won yesterday, as KC was not a better team with that ravaged offensive line.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Brees was completely done by the end of the season, and it wasn't just that his arm strength had dissipated, it's also that he was playing with legitimately debilitating injuries. Injuries, plural. I do think they would have been better off in the playoffs if someone else was starting (Hill or Winston, take your pick), but there was no way they were going to do that to Brees in his swan song. Since he could get on the field, they were going to ride or die with him, given what he's meant to that organization and fan base. I get it. But I genuinely don't think he was their best option at the end of the year. He was just so, so limited. They have a good defense but it wasn't all-World, and they needed more from the QB.

Brees definitely wore down as the season progressed, if anything missing that string of games might have been a mixed blessing. His arm strength was dissipating from earlier that season, the time off might have helped him. As bad as Peyton Manning was in his last season, benching him for Osweiller seemed to help revive what was left of his arm for the postseasion. Sure he stank, but he was far, far worse prior to that benching.

Winston starting? No way. First year in the system, interception prone as hell, never got the snaps with the first team during the regular season. Hill would have been the better choice if they believed Brees was done. Brees buried the Bucs twice, the second time they met he destroyed them. He didn't fare well the second time as Bowles (finally) changed how they were defending him.

Sean Payton doesn't strike me as a warm and fuzzy guy, prone to sentiment. If he thought Winston was ready, he would have started him. Hell, if he thought Brees was close to being finished he would have inserted Winston into games late in the season to gain much-needed experience.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Dude Brees looked miserable. I genuinely felt bad for the guy because I’ve been a fan. You said it yourself Tampa loaded the box all night because they weren’t respecting Brees’s arm. Drew f’n Brees. If anything Winston’s presence alone forces the defense to give you different looks which in turn opens up gaps for Kamara to attack. I stand by what I said earlier in the season on this thread; Payton should’ve gone with Jameis instead of further entertaining the Tayson Hill experiment. Maybe Jamie’s would’ve been ready to perform by then had he had a couple of starts under his belt. But whatever, sucks for Brees more than anything to go out like that. I look forward to Jameis Winston killing it in Payton’s system next season.

What's crazy is that Brees is one of my favorite non-Patriot players. If Brady couldn't get it done, I would have been rooting for what was left of Brees.

Getting back to the divisional playoff game, if I was in Sean Payton's shoes I would have gone with the experience of Brees. Hill wouldn't have been the best choice either, he's more of a runner and gadget play guy. The Bucs were too good against the run for Hill to be successful.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Brees definitely wore down as the season progressed, if anything missing that string of games might have been a mixed blessing. His arm strength was dissipating from earlier that season, the time off might have helped him. As bad as Peyton Manning was in his last season, benching him for Osweiller seemed to help revive what was left of his arm for the postseasion. Sure he stank, but he was far, far worse prior to that benching.

Winston starting? No way. First year in the system, interception prone as hell, never got the snaps with the first team during the regular season. Hill would have been the better choice if they believed Brees was done. Brees buried the Bucs twice, the second time they met he destroyed them. He didn't fare well the second time as Bowles (finally) changed how they were defending him.

Sean Payton doesn't strike me as a warm and fuzzy guy, prone to sentiment. If he thought Winston was ready, he would have started him. Hell, if he thought Brees was close to being finished he would have inserted Winston into games late in the season to gain much-needed experience.

I might be able to grant that it was OK to start Brees. But I thought that as that game went on, it became pretty clear that he couldn't get the ball down the field and that they needed someone who could. Maybe Winston would have gone in late and not been up to the challenge. That's quite possible. But I don't think Brees was their best option to win the game in the second half against the Bucs. Even Hill, at least he would have given the offense a different look. Brees just looked absolutely cooked.

Brian Flores was willing to put Fitzpatrick in more than once when Tua wasn't getting the ball down the field in games. It just wasn't working. I realize this is Drew Freaking Brees, and I'm not saying it would have been an easy decision for Payton. I truly get that. But if you're asking me if Brees was their best option to win that game in the second half, I honestly think the answer was no.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Bottom line I think Payton made a mistake by not prepping Winston for the scenario which unfolded in the playoffs. Winston has a track record and loads of potential. I’m aware of his character flaws and how those could hold him back which is why I root for him to succeed. Sure he gave the ball away a ton in his first year in Arian’s high risk offense. But he looked pretty good slinging it on a crappy team the 2-3 years before that. If his 30 INT season is the main factor that holds him back from another legitimate opportunity, then that’s a bloody shame. His arm talent with Payton’s mind and coaching is a win, plain and simple. As far as Hill, he’s a gadget player and the Saints overpayed him. So Payton had to give him some burn. If Payton actually felt that the Hill experiment could’ve rendered some meaningful fruit, then he may have turned to him during the second half of the Bucs game. But he didn’t. Towards the end of the game you could see Brees saying something to Jameis along the lines of “this is your team now.” I think there’s a pretty obvious reason for that.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

What's crazy is that Brees is one of my favorite non-Patriot players. If Brady couldn't get it done, I would have been rooting for what was left of Brees.

Getting back to the divisional playoff game, if I was in Sean Payton's shoes I would have gone with the experience of Brees. Hill wouldn't have been the best choice either, he's more of a runner and gadget play guy. The Bucs were too good against the run for Hill to be successful.

A Lakers fan and a Patriots fan? That’s pretty fascinating. May I ask how that came about?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

^
I grew up in the Southland, and was a Rams fan, up until that former callgirl Georgia Frontiere moved the team to St. Louis. It was an egotistical move, she wanted to return to her hometown a conquering hero. I was pissed beyond belief. I followed them, but only until the last vestige of my LA Rams disappeared.

I ended up moving back east on scholarship, then decided to work here as well. It wasn't a plan, it just happened. I followed the NFL but not really any particular team. Eventually one of my friends took me to Foxboro Stadium, world's largest high school stadium (sarcasm, it was crappy but had personality) and I decided to adopt the team. That was back in 1996, the high water mark of the Drew Bledsoe era.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Oh cool. Well you've surely had a lot of parades to attend. Maybe the Rams can also get one soon.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Mahomes ran for 497 yards behind line of scrimmage before being sacked or throwing the ball in the game.

That is a crazy stat, utter dominance up front defensively by the Bucs.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
^
I grew up in the Southland, and was a Rams fan, up until that former callgirl Georgia Frontiere moved the team to St. Louis. It was an egotistical move, she wanted to return to her hometown a conquering hero. I was pissed beyond belief. I followed them, but only until the last vestige of my LA Rams disappeared.

I ended up moving back east on scholarship, then decided to work here as well. It wasn't a plan, it just happened. I followed the NFL but not really any particular team. Eventually one of my friends took me to Foxboro Stadium, world's largest high school stadium (sarcasm, it was crappy but had personality) and I decided to adopt the team. That was back in 1996, the high water mark of the Drew Bledsoe era.

Man thats like hitting the sports fandom lottery at the perfect time because I think they would go to the SuperBowl the very next year (1997) and then of course....the Tom Brady era would begin....before all this the Patriots were a laughable franchise. You tell me Al Davis's Raiders would become a joke for like 15 years back in 1996 and that the Patriots would soon be a dynasty led by a 6th rd scrub from Michigan there is no way I would have believed you.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject:

^
I wasn't really a Raiders fan, though I did have a couple of tenuous links to their LA championship years. I played against one of them in high school, and sometimes had drinks with a couple of them when they moved down to LA.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Yeah, I think I said before the game that I was very worried about the ragtag KC O-line, and it sure as hell wrecked the game for them. But what I didn't expect was KC's utter inability to make adjustments to that likely reality, and I didn't see a lot of screens, quick hitters, and things of that nature. They just let the pass rush continue to get home, without blitzing, and credit Bowles for recognizing that there was simply no need to blitz yesterday.

I picked TB to cover but KC to win a close one, and in looking back, given the O-line problems, I should have fully pivoted to TB once the Britt Reid accident news happened. That type of stuff just casts a pall over a team, just saps energy, and I should have fully come off KC at that point.

Regardless, the better team won yesterday, as KC was not a better team with that ravaged offensive line.

There was a great breakdown by a youtube analyst on Mahomes before the playoffs.

High level: There was a noteable, repeatable flaw in his game. He takes deep dropbacks.

Deepdropbacks + 4 man rush = Mahomes sandwhich.

Bucs executed perfectly schematically, had the ideal talent and the Chiefs reacted poorly...add it up and we can see why the beatdown happened.

Also see those 500 yards running behind the line, tells you the ball isn't coming and the pressure was intense.

Physically he's a monster, some of those throws. Holy (bleep)! Amazing. But he isn't going to last play this style, some of those hits...I was hoping he just didn't get injured in the last 5 minutes. The good news is, not many teams can replicate that style of defense. Reminded me of the Patriots/Broncos 2015 AFC title game, Brady took a beating.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 54 of 335
Jump to: