*** Detroit Pistons @ Los Angeles Lakers (02/06/21 @ 7:00PM PST) Gm#24***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Grant looked like a super star down the stretch, and Josh Jackson got them back in it almost single handedly. Imagine if they played like that every game, especially when they had their other guys back.

What a close win. I didn't think it was going to be this stressful of a game, and we nearly lost!

Wanted Grant more than anyone else after seeing him play in the playoffs but he wanted to get paid paid
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
>>>> LAKERS WIN!!!!!

JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Denver getting rid of Grant was a mistake

Would prefer him over porter but it was about $

pay him
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject:

3 things from this game:

1. Lakers have to stop disrespecting the game.
2. Vogel has a lot of players. He should start cutting some playing time for half ass efforts.
3. Draymond mentioned a star player is out of shape and everyone thinks he means AD. AD can score 30 in his sleep, but he needs to get in shape if he wants to be anything close to a top 5 player again.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

Stat geeks need to watch this game as an example of what a horrible 30 pt efficient positive +/- game looks like and all courtesy of AD
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

P.K. wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
I hope this is a wake up call.

I said that earlier and I got clowned

How many wake up calls can you ask for....before you actually have to wake up?

That's my question.

We have had "wake up calls" so many times this season, if we aren't "woken up" yet, we won't be.

A close comparison that I see in this year's team is...last year's Clipper team. Needless to say, that's not a good thing.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

pio2u wrote:
pio2u wrote:
>>>> LAKERS WIN!!!!!

Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject:

All's well that ends well. Always good to get a win.

Hope everyone has a good night and a nice Superbowl Sunday
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
3 things from this game:

1. Lakers have to stop disrespecting the game.
2. Vogel has a lot of players. He should start cutting some playing time for half ass efforts.
3. Draymond mentioned a star player is out of shape and everyone thinks he means AD. AD can score 30 in his sleep, but he needs to get in shape if he wants to be anything close to a top 5 player again.

3. If true this is the difference between Kobe and a guy like AD. AD takes a breather after he wins a chip. Kobe wins a chip in 2000, practices even harder to the point he is told to tone his game down, and reaches almost his peak level the next year and the playoff version of 2001 is the greatest Shaq-Kobe team.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
No matter. Can't be thrilled with this win. I'll take it but unpack it later.

To sum up:

Sort of a summary of a number of games this year. The Lakers are generally good for at least 1, if not 2, 4-5 minute stretches of G-League basketball in a game. By that I mean either on offense, or defense, or both. It's usually characterized (when this happens) by the Lakers offense turning into the 3 stooges, or alternatively not starting any real offensive action until play clock at 10 second or 5 second mark and settling for a jumper. They've had long stretches of inability to score when this happens, and of course the opponent goes on a run.

With that said, the Lakers also have it in them to have long stretches of awe-inspiring basketball. For 8 minutes, 5 second in the third, (funny enough I thought it was longer), Lakers held Pistons to under 10 points in the quarter. Built a 17 point lead. Defense looked ridiculously good.

After that? Pistons scored 44 points in a little under 16 minutes (44-27 run to end regulation).

Add ontop of that, Pistons were 1) on the second night of a B2B 2) had 3 of their better players not even playing 3) and it took two OT's to beat a bunch of guys...

Yea, annoying. Shrug.

I'll take the W, but it's a headscratcher to me. Literally best defense vs what was already a bad offense minus 3 of their better players, and you struggle to get the W.

Last edited by DrDent on Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject:

In this game the pistons ran pnr. They made AD stay home on plumlee. Why don’t we do the same. Roll Davis to the rim, make them commit to our driver, or throw it up to him. Easy offense.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
In this game the pistons ran pnr. They made AD stay home on plumlee. Why don’t we do the same. Roll Davis to the rim, make them commit to our driver, or throw it up to him. Easy offense.

Stockton, Nash and Deron Williams made it look so easy...
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
P.K. wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
I hope this is a wake up call.

I said that earlier and I got clowned

How many wake up calls can you ask for....before you actually have to wake up?

That's my question.

We have had "wake up calls" so many times this season, if we aren't "woken up" yet, we won't be.

A close comparison that I see in this year's team is...last year's Clipper team. Needless to say, that's not a good thing.

Is it that or the stretches of a complete lack of focus for stretches in almost every game? e.g. three stooges offense (aka "unforced turnovers at a high rate over a small time span") or the "let's settle for jumpers we arent hitting, down the stretch, offense"
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:

They did that as well in DET with Rose and Plumlee, were killing the Lakers to begin the 4th in that game. Caruso came out and helped stop that bleeding. Lakers got close...then Vog sat Caruso...and game went to hell.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

They did that as well in DET with Rose and Plumlee, were killing the Lakers to begin the 4th in that game. Caruso came out and helped stop that bleeding. Lakers got close...then Vog sat Caruso...and game went to hell.

And not saying run it to death, but how doesn’t it happen more?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

pay him

They’re in contention— need to maximize chances. Mistake to let him walk.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

Stockton, Nash and Deron Williams made it look so easy...

Harden can make any big look like an all star, because he does this....maybe to much, but if AD isn’t making his jump shot you have to do something. I think we learned he’s not a back down post player last year against PJ tucker.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Don’t think it was. Denver was willing to pay. Grant just chose a bigger role with Pistons.

As to the game, I am thrilled with the Lakers win. Any win is a good one.

But it was another game that should ever have been this close. Coasting is a bad habit to develop.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject:

We made that about 10 times harder than it needed to be, but at least the extra minutes got us a win. Worst thing is you play AD and Bron all those minutes in a RS game and lose.

The issue is our effort level and coasting mode. We switch into a very lazy style of offense, and it also transfers into the D.

When you have the weapons we do, Dennis, Bron, THT, AD. And then you see guys get the ball with about 3 seconds left. That is a sign the team is a) coasting b) tired and c) playing passive basketball.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lakerz113 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

And not saying run it to death, but how doesn’t it happen more?

Oh, sorry, I meant Pistons ran that vs the Lakers last game too. As to your other question, I have no clue, Lakers seem very disinterested in running the PnR on any consistent basis from what I can see (or at a minimum when they try to it's a very soft screen, as in the defender guarding ballhandler has an easy time going over the alleged "screen"). I have no clue why. Maybe someone with some better insight can explain. Seems to me Vog just likes an offense that 1) tries to score on the break or 2) in Half Court, has some motion in front of LBJ, or around AD, but often times its just an ISO setup for either of them.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

It’s a long season and I’m happy we won. I think I’m just scared that we are so reliable on LBJ.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

CandyCanes wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

pay him

I thought they matched Detroit’s offer, but maybe he was offended by that or maybe he wanted his own team with emergence of Murray/Jokic/Porter as the big 3.

He has become a hell of a player though.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
We made that about 10 times harder than it needed to be, but at least the extra minutes got us a win. Worst thing is you play AD and Bron all those minutes in a RS game and lose.

The issue is our effort level and coasting mode. We switch into a very lazy style of offense, and it also transfers into the D.

When you have the weapons we do, Dennis, Bron, THT, AD. And then you see guys get the ball with about 3 seconds left. That is a sign the team is a) coasting b) tired and c) playing passive basketball.

Or we just simply lack ball movement.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

pay him

I thought they matched Detroit’s offer, but maybe he was offended by that or maybe he wanted his own team with emergence of Murray/Jokic/Porter as the big 3.

He has become a hell of a player though.

He was a pain in the playoffs. I think he wanted to see if he could be his own "star" - hard to do with Murray and Jokic in front of you.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Wolf - what is your assessment as why the Lakers have those moments (I have dubbed "G League/3 stooges") of offense when they start having a bunch of unforced turnovers in a small time span? I just dont get it. Seems to hit them almost every game.

I also do not understand why, in the 4th, three times this year I can recall their offense has gone into that coast/tired/passive basketball you mention, where they seem to just settle for jumpers (and often contested ones)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24
Jump to: