Smart Home and Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Smart Home and Security

For those of you homeowners out there, how have you set up your "smart" homes? Do you have smart thermostats like Nest or Ecobee (which do you prefer)? What type of security systems are best (i prefer not to use a traditional one like ADT and have more control over the setup myself)? Lights on voice control? Anyone doing home automation like coffee or breakfast making programmed routines on a schedule?

Should be closing on my first house in the next month, and i want to get the security system for sure set up immediately. If it makes any difference, i lean toward the Google/Android stack of devices in my home, so i am looking for good integration with Google/Android.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I’m just starting this now using the apple/Siri ecosystem since I already have iPhone/iPad/appletv. I got smart bulbs for the front porch and for my living room. I have the porch lights set to turn on/off every night at certain times + turn on if I arrive home after dark [and they’re not on already]. Living room I had presets based on time of day, eg. morning I have cooler lighting while in the evenings it have the bulbs turn to a warmer white. It’s also nice that I can just tell Siri to turn on/off the tv, lights, pause the tv, etc.

Haven’t gotten locks or cameras yet but I’ve been looking into them. I would prefer security that doesn’t include a monthly fee. Also will eventually get new bulbs for the bedroom so the lights turn on when my alarm clock goes off— I had something similar at my old place and it makes getting out of bed WAY easier, especially during the winter.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I’m just starting this now using the apple/Siri ecosystem since I already have iPhone/iPad/appletv. I got smart bulbs for the front porch and for my living room. I have the porch lights set to turn on/off every night at certain times + turn on if I arrive home after dark [and they’re not on already]. Living room I had presets based on time of day, eg. morning I have cooler lighting while in the evenings it have the bulbs turn to a warmer white. It’s also nice that I can just tell Siri to turn on/off the tv, lights, pause the tv, etc.

Haven’t gotten locks or cameras yet but I’ve been looking into them. I would prefer security that doesn’t include a monthly fee. Also will eventually get new bulbs for the bedroom so the lights turn on when my alarm clock goes off— I had something similar at my old place and it makes getting out of bed WAY easier, especially during the winter.

Nice, i have a similar setup for my lights (kasa bulbs)/tv (built-in chromecast) with my google home devices. I was not able to set up an ecobee in my apartment, so i have to wait for the house. In terms of security monthly fees, i was wondering the same, and i am not sure it's possible to get around that if you want professional monitoring. Otherwise, you would have to monitor it yourself, and you may not always be around to watch the camera footage.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

^ I think you’re right regarding professional monitoring. Some of the self-monitoring setups will alert you (phone or tv) when it detects motion so if someone is outside you can see on your tv or phone who is there. I guess it depends on if you want it more as a deterrent/for insurance purposes only vs having someone handle the response for you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: