Official LA RAMS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 227, 228, 229  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Wonder if Rams would’ve gotten Deshaun Watson with that package. I doubt Houston would want Goff and his contract though.

That is the rub.

I am surprised that the Rams were able to find any team to take Goff's contract so in that regard it makes sense.

But to me, Watson would have been a much bigger get than Stafford. And Houston has done a lot of dumb things in the past couple of years, I assume the Rams checked on him.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Wonder if Rams would’ve gotten Deshaun Watson with that package. I doubt Houston would want Goff and his contract though.

That is the rub.

I am surprised that the Rams were able to find any team to take Goff's contract so in that regard it makes sense.

But to me, Watson would have been a much bigger get than Stafford. And Houston has done a lot of dumb things in the past couple of years, I assume the Rams checked on him.

Waiting on Watson would have guaranteed a miss on Stafford. It would have also cost at the very least one more first round pick, and probably two additional second round picks for good measure. And that's if Watson goes on the trading block which isn't a certainty.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

For me in order of franchise changing QB....I would have

1) Aaron Rodgers (no guarantee he wants out, he wants to stay and he needs management to convince him that they are not trying to usher him out even after drafting Jordan Love...obviously huge price if GB were to dangle him, Rams probably would've had to mortgaged everything for him)

2) Deshaun Watson (much younger than Rodgers, potential is great, has shown he is a quality QB, would demand a huge haul if he were available, Texans would rather not part with him)

3) Matthew Stafford (has shown durability and reliability despite his early career injuries, never had a team behind him which is why he never had the results in terms of wins and losses, both Lions and himself knew their time had run out, much cheaper than Watson or Rodgers)
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Wow. I need to watch some Stafford film.
Goff was not it....and I'm glad he's gone. Dude was a doofus and is only decent with a great OLINE and perfect playcalling.

Stafford is a tough SOB and a lot smarter. I'm betting our delay of game penalties and burning of unnecessary timeouts declines big time next season.

So glad the Jared Goff era is over. I've tried to embrace him as our QB but just never really believed in him. Five seasons is enough.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

This article I found interesting on the trade, hard to argue with any of it:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/using-nb-astyle-blueprint-the-rams-just-showed-how-to-jettison-a-massive-franchise-quarterback-mistake-082555415.html
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Goff plays with the confidence of Lonzo Ball and now are both (happily) gone from LA...!
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm...Not really sure what to think about this trade. One thing is for sure, is how unfathomable the cost to both acquire (and get rid of) Goff was.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
Goff was not it....and I'm glad he's gone. Dude was a doofus and is only decent with a great OLINE and perfect playcalling.

Stafford is a tough SOB and a lot smarter. I'm betting our delay of game penalties and burning of unnecessary timeouts declines big time next season.

So glad the Jared Goff era is over. I've tried to embrace him as our QB but just never really believed in him. Five seasons is enough.

Yeah... I've been a Rams fan for decades. The guy never seemed like a leader at all. He has some tools to work with.... but IQ and leadership aren't there.
People praised how "calm and collected" he was after a loss or bad play. But I hated it. We would get the same " I gotta play better, it starts with me... I'll play better" BS game after game. *eyeroll

Never saw him on the sidelines trying to pump his guys up -- he'd just go stare at the tablet and zone out. He played with no grit or fire at all.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Hmmm...Not really sure what to think about this trade. One thing is for sure, is how unfathomable the cost to both acquire (and get rid of) Goff was.

It was a bad draft for QB's....the best QB its looking like from that draft is Dak Prescott and he was a 4th rounder. Can't really blame the Rams for missing out on that pick.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

It was a bad draft for QB's....the best QB its looking like from that draft is Dak Prescott and he was a 4th rounder. Can't really blame the Rams for missing out on that pick.

They certainly screwed it up big time. Gave up way too much to get what I thought was a marginal QB and nowhere near worthy of a typical #1 pick, then they chose to give him a lucrative contract extension even though he still had a year to go on his rookie deal and they were under no pressure to do so, and then, after he regressed badly, they were forced to give up even more draft capital just to jettison him (and to get a QB upgrade, it should be said).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

Yeah... I've been a Rams fan for decades. The guy never seemed like a leader at all. He has some tools to work with.... but IQ and leadership aren't there.
People praised how "calm and collected" he was after a loss or bad play. But I hated it. We would get the same " I gotta play better, it starts with me... I'll play better" BS game after game. *eyeroll

Never saw him on the sidelines trying to pump his guys up -- he'd just go stare at the tablet and zone out. He played with no grit or fire at all.

The Jay Cutler school of leadership.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:

Since I'm not sure about the bottom line of the trade (incoming value vs outgoing value), as part of the analysis I wanted to see if we had any information on how the various teams offensive lines are ranked, especially LA v Detroit.

Final 2020 offensive line rankings

Quote:
Using [PFF] grades as a guide, this is where each team’s offensive line stacked up during the 2020 regular season . . .

Quote:
3. Los Angeles Rams [Jared Goff QBR: 58.4 (23rd)]

It is safe to say that the Rams got the bounce-back season they badly needed from their offensive line following the disaster that was the 2019 season for Los Angeles up front.

There really wasn’t a whole lot of movement from the Rams this past offseason to add to the group, so the change centered around improvement from the players who were already on the roster. Andrew Whitworth improved his PFF grade by 16 points before his injury, while Austin Blythe’s and Austin Corbett’s grades each jumped nearly 20 points. Those improvements paled in comparison to Rob Havenstein’s jump from a 50.9 PFF grade in 2019 to 80.0 heading into this year’s postseason.

As a result, Jared Goff has been pressured on fewer than 30% of his dropbacks after that number sat at 36% in 2019. That remains one of the biggest keys to this offense moving forward, given Goff's career clean pocket vs. pressure splits.

Quote:
13. Detroit Lions [Mathew Stafford: 68.4 (15th)]

Another year, another season of improved play from Frank Ragnow, who is asserting himself as one of the league’s top young interior offensive linemen. His 80.3 PFF grade in 2020 ranked second at the center position, and it came behind career-high grades both in pass protection and as a run-blocker. The fact that he played through a fractured throat late in the season only adds to the notion that this is a guy you don’t want to mess with in the trenches.

There were shuffling pieces along the line this season, but the play from both Ragnow and left tackle Taylor Decker (82.0 PFF grade) fresh off a contract extension this offseason helped stabilize the group. The Lions will be hoping for a second-year jump for Jonah Jackson at guard in 2021 to help take the unit to the next level.

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

I seem to recall talk about the Rams wanting to have a good enough team to play in the 2022 Super Bowl, but the team peaked a couple of years ago and has not been able to get to the elite level, so perhaps this was a way to jump-start their upward progress...

I also think once Goff got his huge contract, he took his foot off the gas and did not aspire to improve, so this trade could be the slap-in-the-face he needed...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I seem to recall talk about the Rams wanting to have a good enough team to play in the 2022 Super Bowl, but the team peaked a couple of years ago and has not been able to get to the elite level, so perhaps this was a way to jump-start their upward progress...

I also think once Goff got his huge contract, he took his foot off the gas and did not aspire to improve, so this trade could be the slap-in-the-face he needed...

The beginning of the end was the Super Bowl in which he got zero TD's....
I mean the Rams had a very big example right there even if it was the biggest stage....but they still extended him the offseason after instead of seeing if he could get better even when he was still under his rookie contract.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Meh traded one mediocre qb for another while losing even more draft capital. Can't wait to see the Lions come to SoFi next season, if fans are allowed back that'll be a wild scene with both qb out for revenge against their former employers!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Aaron Donald just won DPOY again. Legend.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Colin Cowherd on the trade:
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Cowherd Gets Bradshaw's Take on Trade
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

OMG. I can't remember the last time I agreed with Cowherd on anything. He pretty much manufactures everyone of his takes from his backside.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Rams sign Leonard Floyd to a 4-year deal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1371591598983671808
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Good news. I thought he'd be one the cap casualties. Hope we can find a way to keep JJ III.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
32 wrote:

Good news. I thought he'd be one the cap casualties. Hope we can find a way to keep JJ III.

He signed with the Browns yesterday.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
32 wrote:

Oh well. At least he's going to a good team and it's in the AFC. Hopefully, Taylor Rapp can fill his shoes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
32 wrote:

Oh well. At least he's going to a good team and it's in the AFC. Hopefully, Taylor Rapp can fill his shoes.

Yes, they have drafted 3 safeties in the last 2 drafts, so at least this is acceptable process. Unlike, you know, Green Bay drafting AJ Dillon in the 2nd Round last year only to keep Aaron Jones. Or how about New England taking two TE's in the 3rd Round last year, one of which they traded up for, only to turn around the following offseason and sign the top two TE's in free agency LOL.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject:

The Rams and Lions have consummated another deal, with Michael Brockers heading to Detroit. I haven't seen the draft compensation details yet, but it probably isn't much more than a late-round pick. Rams just needed to clear salary, and they cleared $6.166MM of it from their cap.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 227, 228, 229  Next
Page 31 of 229
Jump to: