*** Los Angeles Lakers vs Boston Celtics (01/30/21 @ 5:30 PM PT) Gm#21 ***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Ugly win. But I will take it especially against the Celdicks. Didn't really show like they wanted to win throughout the game, came back with nice defense in the 4th. Just some bad decision making in the last two minutes that gave the Celtics a shot to win at the end.

A Laker-Celtic final would be tough. We would win but I think they would make it tough like Miami despite talent paper disparity on paper. Power wings still give us fits and the Celtics under Stevens have always been greater than the sum of their parts.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
I consider this a loss.

Second game in a row where Lebron and lazy, careless turnovers at very critical times of the game.

And of course, KCP still in his funk.

First “we shoulda lost” game of year - need to fix the down the stretch offense
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Lakers were never getting Tatum. That is a myth. Lakers tried to get a workout and he refused. He had a promise from Boston.

Some truth to this - celtics traded down as they figured tatum would be there...but perhaps if lakers did a reversal..
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
32 wrote:
Lakers were never getting Tatum. That is a myth. Lakers tried to get a workout and he refused. He had a promise from Boston.

Some truth to this - celtics traded down as they figured tatum would be there...but perhaps if lakers did a reversal..

Imagine the 76ers with Tatum. And then imagine if they had drafted Devin Booker instead of Okafor.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Didn't get to watch the game at all (friend scheduled her hubs virtual bday party at exactly the same time as the game ) but I see we eeked out a win. Imma watch the replay right now... #GoLakers
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject:

We held an elite Easter conference team to 95 pts in their house
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
We held an elite Easter conference team to 95 pts in their house

DEFENSE!
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

We are not playing great basketball to state the obvious.
I guess it’s good we are sharpening the tools early in the season.

Up 7 points with a minute and a half left no way we should let them back in that easily. Our energy from the start of the game wasn’t good. Even when we had that 10 point lead in the first half we seemed so lackadaisical on every possession.

AD although he had a sweet mid range game today was too careless with the ball and all those damn missed free throws again. He shot 92% from the free throw line in the conference finals/NBA finals. He’s definitely just not fully dialed in for these “meaningless” regular season games. 27 and 14 are nice numbers but this guy is too damn good not have 40 and 20 against this Celtics squad

Anyways,

Always Nice to beat that Celtic Ass!!!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject:

I'll take it...!
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
We picked Lonzo over Tatum. Wow, just think about it, still wanna puke every time I think about this.

I'm a former Bruin and I begged us not to do it. That was on Magic, mostly and partially on Rob for not having the stones to loudly object.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:

Always Nice to beat that Celtic Ass!!!
        ^^^^^^^^^^
        THIS!!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject:

UP NEXT: (Last game of the road trip)

Los Angeles Lakers vs Atlanta Hawks
(Monday)
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I'll take it...!

I’ll take this W.

Hope they continue to figure things out and get better at holding leads.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

I think Bron should rest vs Hawks.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
We picked Lonzo over Tatum. Wow, just think about it, still wanna puke every time I think about this.

Yes sir. magic doing work.

Moderator LG Mike exoressly called we should draft him. Too bad laker management didnt listen.

Wrong. He expressly wrote "Tatum as my #3" right before the draft. Look it up.

Also Mike in the Big Board thread had it ordered
Fultz
Ball
Tatum

Had a lot of company around here. The LG poll had
Ball - 315
Josh Jackson - 64
Fox - 20
Tatum - 8. <<<<
(Assumed Fultz goes 1st)

Looks like Magic had a hell of a lot of company in the stupid and dumb department if that's how we are looking at things thru the lens of hindsight.

Last edited by _#1_ on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Escaped with a W
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject:

As far as the game goes it took effort, defense, and talent to put the team up with 2 to play on the road against a very tough Boston team.

But like several games this year we fall apart and leave it up to a wheel of fortune win. Maybe their shot goes in maybe it doesn't. Or maybe ours goes in maybe it doesn't. This squad is better than that.

Oh. Release the Caruso.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject:

I think the prob is our offense. Guys don’t seem to know what the hell they are doing late in games so it just becomes iso bail outs.

I also think Lebron is better in that 34-35 min range. Once he starts settling for long threes and turning the ball over you know he is tired. Vogel has to be smarter about that.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
DrDent wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Moderator LG Mike exoressly called we should draft him. Too bad laker management didnt listen.

Fultz
Ball
Tatum

Ball - 315
Josh Jackson - 64
Fox - 20
Tatum - 8. <<<<
(Assumed Fultz goes 1st)

Looks like Magic had a hell of a lot of company in the stupid and dumb department if that's how we are looking at things thru the lens of hindsight.

I could be mixing him up with another moderator but I recall being very active back then on the board and (I thought it was Mike?) the mod saying they wanted Tatum on the Lakers. I was keen on Jackson or Fox. Not sure I want to dig up several years ago of posts.

[PS this discussion was not in the smaller threads I'm seeing in the draft area, it was in a much larger thread. Also, could you be seeing who he predicted the draft would be - which is not the same as "who I'd prefer to get". I suppose only Mike can confirm cuz its not in the 4 page thread thats saved, if I have time I'll try to dig it up...was almost 4 years ago]
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
DrDent wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Fultz
Ball
Tatum

Ball - 315
Josh Jackson - 64
Fox - 20
Tatum - 8. <<<<
(Assumed Fultz goes 1st)

So looks like the thread I was thinking of is a 1200 page 2017 Lakers Draft Discussion thread. Mike posted a ton on it.

For some reason I'm under the impression he was asked a "hey Mike, if you were a GM, who'd you get at 2?" type of question and I have a memory of him saying Tatum...but I did not go through every post, and I concede I could just be flat wrong...

But I did skim some through that thread. What is correct is he defended Tatum as a legit player to many naysayers (including yours truly, so I woulda been in the stupid and dumb dept in 2017 ). I may have taken the wrong impression of this post of his as meaning he would take Tatum:

May 26, 2017, 3:45 pm

Mike@LG wrote:
WeDidItReddit wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
question for everyone:

should we be looking at isaac at #2? are we just "over it" because we feel like it'd be duplicative having Ingram already? or is he just not good enough to warrant consideration there? or is our timeline accelerated now that PG might be coming, and isaac would take too long developmentally?

No. Role player potential with nothing dynamic except for defense.

I still want a franchise player at #2.

Who do you think has the franchise player potential at 2?

Ball and Tatum.

Ball is more of the gamble than Tatum is IMHO.

(And then later he said "But when guys like Tatum line up similarly (as said on a Vecenie podcast with Cole) to Gordon Hayward, Paul Pierce, and Joe Johnson. I flat out want THAT guy." (in another post).

So I may have read in between the lines and it got stuck in my brain that he wanted Tatum over ball, when that may have not been true and the Big Board does say differently.

Could just be my old age memory thing
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

<snip>
I could be mixing him up with another moderator but I recall being very active back then on the board and (I thought it was Mike?) the mod saying they wanted Tatum on the Lakers. I was keen on Jackson or Fox. Not sure I want to dig up several years ago of posts.

[PS this discussion was not in the smaller threads I'm seeing in the draft area, it was in a much larger thread. Also, could you be seeing who he predicted the draft would be - which is not the same as "who I'd prefer to get". I suppose only Mike can confirm cuz its not in the 4 page thread thats saved, if I have time I'll try to dig it up...was almost 4 years ago]

I personally don't criticize Magic for missing on Tatum, I criticize Magic for not properly evaluating Tatum.

First, there's no shame in being wrong - by analogy even the best hitters bat around 300. Doing the best job possible means not cutting corners, working as hard as possible and leaving no stone unturned. (Think of how the Clippers talked big last year but played "little" - they didn't do the best possible).

What made the Lakers-Tatum saga worthy of criticism is that Magic didn't even work out Tatum. That can only mean he:
* didn't think Tatum was worth it i.e. lack of preparedness -OR-
* had already made up his mind i.e. overconfidence -OR-
* was unable to convince Tatum that the Lakers would be Tatum's best choice i.e. failure of salesmanship, something that was supposedly Magic's strength

In contrast, I've seen countless posts by Mike stressing how critical he thinks in-person interviews/workouts are to assessing "intangibles". Who knows if Magic had had Mike's discipline and worked out/pitched Tatum, he would've changed his pick to Tatum.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DrDent wrote:
32 wrote:

Imagine the 76ers with Tatum. And then imagine if they had drafted Devin Booker instead of Okafor.

They wouldn't have been able to keep them as well as Simmons and Embiid. The salaries would have put them too far into the luxury tax.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
OFF TOPIC

Saw your Dark Side of the Moon Screen-name thingy, just got my new car stereo upgrade and listening the the remastered (DSOTM) CD and it sounds feakin' AWESOME...!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Frank Vogel Credits Alex Caruso, Dennis Schroder For Win Against Celtics

Quote:
There is no doubt that if Caruso hadn’t rushed back the way that he did, Jaylen Brown would have had an easy layup to give the Celtics the lead with just seconds remaining. Likewise, Schroder rushing back and challenging the the shot on Kemba Walker helped to ice the game as well.

https://lakersnation.com/lakers-news-frank-vogel-credits-alex-caruso-dennis-schroder-defense-celtics/2021/01/31/
AJ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Caruso isn't getting enough credit for the last play. What he did, his defense, made it hard for Brown to secure the ball. Brown gets that pass clean its a Boston win. Caruso just as important down the stretch as anyone else.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27
Jump to: