Official LA RAMS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 227, 228, 229  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Lost Staley to the Chargers. Could hurt.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Lost Staley to the Chargers. Could hurt.

I went from thinking McVay just hired a "yes" man because he was tired of Wade's stubbornness to being sad we're losing him.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject:

The Rams moved quickly to nab Raheem Morris to be their new DC. He has a connection with McVay back when both were on the Washington staff.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Could they make a move for Deshaun Watson?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

That would be amazing for the Rams. I am a huge Deshaun Watson fan, he is a great QB and underrated in my opinion.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

That would be amazing for the Rams. I am a huge Deshaun Watson fan, he is a great QB and underrated in my opinion.

Maybe Klutch should start looking at representing NFL players. Do it Lebron!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Maybe Klutch should start looking at representing NFL players. Do it Lebron!

I don't see how the Rams have the assets. We don't even have a 1st Round pick this year. Let alone the cap space to be able to take in Watson's contract. Even if you could magically deal Goff away (either as part of a deal for Watson or elsewhere), I don't see how we have the assets that the Texans will want. They will want draft picks, and premium draft picks at that.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Stafford, Watson, Rodgers, Darnold, M. Ryan, FitzMagic.....I think we get one of those to go along with whatever young QB we pick in the draft.

Kiss my Converse.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
Stafford, Watson, Rodgers, Darnold, M. Ryan, FitzMagic.....I think we get one of those to go along with whatever young QB we pick in the draft.

Given that I think Detroit could reasonably get assets like the 9th pick from Denver or the 12th pick from San Francisco, two teams that need QB's, I don't see how we can match such an offer. Rebuilding teams like Detroit are going to want the highest possible draft picks.

Watson is clearly a pipe dream. Just don't have the assets.

Rodgers, even if he forced his way out, again, Green Bay is going to want a premium asset for the likely league MVP. Just not a fit.

Darnold should be in play for any team that is willing to cough up a 2nd round pick plus other smaller considerations, assuming the Jets do move him. However, the Rams' 2nd round pick is down at #57, so many other teams that would offer a 2021 2nd will be able to offer a better pick than that. Which means that we'd have to sweeten the pot a little more to get him, in my view. I don't hate the fit, though, and Darnold has the mobility that would enable McVay to open up the playbook a bit more. Of course, he would really have to coach him up to get those bad habits out, and maybe that can never happen. But I think it would be a decent gamble.

Matt Ryan, I mean, I know the conventional wisdom is that he's a better QB than Goff. But is he better, at this stage? He's been propped up by Julio Jones for a long time, and his numbers drop precipitously without Jones in the lineup. Like Goff, he's a statue in the pocket, though he's probably not as turnover prone. But unlike Goff, Ryan doesn't have good arm strength anymore. Overall, I would be underwhelmed by a move for Matt Ryan.

Is Fitzpatrick capable of playing better than Goff? Yes. We've also seen him play awful at times, and he has games where he just goes off the rails. If you're signing him as a backup, fine, I suppose.

I wonder if Marcus Mariota will become available. The Raiders have a decision to make: they can cut him with a $0 cap hit, or they can keep him for $10.725MM. That's very pricey for a backup; in fact, last year he made the most money of any backup QB, I believe, not counting Taysom Hill. His mobility might be intriguing, but I think it would be foolish to count on him to be your starter. And perhaps the Rams can't really pay a backup top-of-the-market backup QB money, and that may even rule them out of Fitzpatrick, too. They are really up against the cap, remember, so I'm not sure it's in the cards to have a starting QB making bank and then a backup QB with a high salary, too.

What might the Jaguars want for Gardner Minshew? He has some mobility and some moxie, though I don't think he's terribly impressive. You'd think that they could make him available if they could even get a 3rd Round pick for him, given that they are turning the keys of the kingdom over to Trevor Lawrence. Maybe even a 4th rounder. Of course, the Rams and Jags have matched up on deals in the recent past, so there's that.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Well this is interesting: Jeremy Fowler is reporting that Stafford has the Rams on his list as "viable."

Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
·
28m
Sources: Matthew Stafford considers the Rams a viable contender in his trade market with the Lions. While it’s unclear what the Rams can do with Jared Goff’s long-term deal on the books, they’ve explored the possibilities with Stafford.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject:

And then Hayden Winks (who writes for Rotoworld as one of their main fantasy analysts) has this:

Hayden Winks
@HaydenWinks
·
7m
Jared Goff can't be cut, but he can be traded with Rams' dead cap hits of $22M, $15M, $9M, and 2M over the next four seasons per http://Overthecap.com.

A trading team would have Goff under contract for $13M and $18M over the next two seasons before his guaranteed money is up.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject:

^
So in taking the last two posts into consideration, let's say Stafford is trying to steer his way here. First question you have to ask is, would the Lions consider Goff going back to them? Given that he would only cost $13MM and $18MM over the next two seasons for them specifically, that's actually a low number for a starting QB that's a veteran. I wasn't aware that his salary would be so low for the acquiring team. So it would appear that the bigger financial obstacle would be how the Rams could fit in Stafford's salary, while also incurring Goff's dead cap hit this year especially.

Then there's the matter of the Rams continuing to give up their future 1st round picks, since they don't even have one this year. That also brings up, how do the Rams have enough to compete with offers of other teams? As I mentioned already, let's just say the 49ers were interested. They have the 12th pick to potentially offer. Even if the Rams offered, let's just say, 1st round picks in 2022 and 2023, is that better than the 49ers offering #12 plus a future 2nd? A 1st Round pick in hand is usually worth more than a future 1st, especially when you know the pick in hand is pretty solid at #12 and that the Rams picks could very well be in the 20's or maybe even between 30-32.

Perhaps the Rams could offer at least one future 1st and maybe a player or payers that the Lions would want. I suppose it's a good thing that the Rams are publicly being floated as a potential destination. We know how aggressive Snead has been to try to acquire talent, and if Stafford tries to steer his way here, maybe the Lions would accommodate him.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Pretend you're the Detroit GM. What would you demand as sweetener for sending out Stafford for Goff.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Pretend you're the Detroit GM. What would you demand as sweetener for sending out Stafford for Goff.

Yeah, the issue would seem to be, even if you don't think Goff is a negative asset because his cost to Detroit's books would actually be reasonable, the Rams would seemingly have less than other teams in terms of draft compensation to offer. But the Rams do have some young players that I could see being of interest.

Additionally, Winks replied to his own tweet with some more info, and apparently that figure of what Goff would cost an acquiring team over the next two seasons was erroneous. Still, he seems to think that the Rams could actually get a 3rd round pick if they were to trade Goff.

Hayden Winks
@HaydenWinks
·
1m
Replying to
@HaydenWinks
(The Rams take a $22M cap hit if traded before June 1. That's it. The acquiring team would have Goff for cap hits of $28M and $26M for the next two seasons before his guaranteed money is up. I'd guess the Rams can probably get a 3rd rounder or so.)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Fowler is on ESPN right now and he just noted that the new Lions GM just came from the Rams front office, a connection that I wasn't thinking about. HMM...

He also noted that talk at the Senior Bowl was that the 49ers, Indy, and Denver are interested, which should come as no surprise.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject:

Mediocre Matty? Pass!! Rather live and die with Goff for the next couple years.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject:

I want a more mobile QB.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Stafford is light years better than Goff. He's not exactly mobile but he's also not a complete statue, and his pocket awareness is better. He's very good and he's actually had the best years of his career recently.

He would be a big get if they can keep most of the rest of the roster intact.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Since its gone public and Goff has no problem with playing elsewhere, seems like we've seen the last of him in a Rams uniform. All they are doing now is finding a good trade partner and negotiating on the compensation.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Detroit is dealing QB Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two future first-round picks, a third-round pick and QB Jared Goff, per sources. Two former No. 1 overall picks trading places in the first blockbuster NFL trade of 2021.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1355712045006655490?s=19
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject:

oh wow.
They got quite a haul for a desperate Rams team who need to show some results.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Detroit is dealing QB Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two future first-round picks, a third-round pick and QB Jared Goff, per sources. Two former No. 1 overall picks trading places in the first blockbuster NFL trade of 2021.

I absolutely love this trade. Goff just wasn't it. Stafford is a big upgrade, health permitting, and they couldn't let this defense go to waste. Houston did that once upon a time with a dominant defense and a declining Matt Schaub. The Steelers might be seeing that right now with an end-of-career Big Ben.

The Rams may never have a 1st Round pick again LOL, but they have been doing well to find capable players later in the draft.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:

I absolutely love this trade. Goff just wasn't it. Stafford is a big upgrade, health permitting, and they couldn't let this defense go to waste. Houston did that once upon a time with a dominant defense and a declining Matt Schaub. The Steelers might be seeing that right now with an end-of-career Big Ben.

The Rams may never have a 1st Round pick again LOL, but they have been doing well to find capable players later in the draft.

Goff seemed to struggle once a play broke down, any pocket disruption and they play was DOA. Major problem. Hopefully he can resolve it, but it seems Rams didn't think so.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:

If Aaron Rodgers or Deshaun Watson was available Rams probably didn't have the assets. So this is a good result and an upgrade for the offense.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Rams traded Goff for Stafford, along with 2 first round picks and a third.

I don't think I posted it here (not sure) but I thought it would take at least two first round picks. This is about right.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 227, 228, 229  Next
Page 29 of 229
Jump to: