61%
 61%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 21

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Tom Brady vs LeBron James

Who has had the better career and who is/was the more dominant player? Ten championship appearances for both as of today.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

This is a debate? I like to know who actually thinks LeBron's career is better....

Regardless you have a better debate if you were to ask who I hate more because its a toss up question for me.

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is more dominant but Tom Brady has more accolades.
Lebron plays a sport where he can play the entire game if his coach decides not to sit him. Tom Brady can only affect the game on offense, when the defense is up all he can do is stand by and watch.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
This is a debate? I like to know who actually thinks LeBron's career is better....

Regardless you have a better debate if you were to ask who I hate more because its a toss up question for me.

That’s easy. You always hate the maga star more than the mega star.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

That’s easy. You always hate the maga star more than the mega star.

Yet Brady is a lot easier to ignore in comparison.. LeBron is around 24/7. Like I said its very hard for me.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject:

LeBron spent the bulk of his early career being labeled a choker and fading away when it really mattered. He's certainly grown since then, but Brady really never dealt with that.

I look at it this way. If I was starting a franchise in football, Tom Brady would be my guy. In basketball, there are a more than a couple of players I would do so ahead of LeBron.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LeBron spent the bulk of his early career being labeled a choker and fading away when it really mattered. He's certainly grown since then, but Brady really never dealt with that.

I look at it this way. If I was starting a franchise in football, Tom Brady would be my guy. In basketball, there are a more than a couple of players I would do so ahead of LeBron.

Like who? Kareem, Magic?...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject:

I think it must be said that while Brady has remained very good for his age, he clearly has not been "elite" for some time now and had his team carrying him at times. Lebron at this point is still not just elite but can still be argued as the very best in his league
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I think it must be said that while Brady has remained very good for his age, he clearly has not been "elite" for some time now and had his team carrying him at times. Lebron at this point is still not just elite but can still be argued as the very best in his league

Also, Brady was just a game manager early in his career, even for their first Super Bowl win. Obviously, that changed. LeBron has always had the weight of everything on his shoulders for his team, and has more than shouldered that responsibility. LeBron is, at worst, the 2nd-best basketball player who has ever lived, at least in my opinion. Where would you put Brady? He's the GOAT QB for sure. Do you put him at #1 in football overall? Does Jerry Rice have a case? A defensive player?

All things considered, I suppose I'd give the slight edge to Brady as it stands right now, because QB is the most important position in sports, and his teams just win. At worst, this is a dude that is going to go 6-4 in the Super Bowl. But it's worth pointing out that LeBron would be 5-6 in the Finals if the Lakers win another title this season, and that he has won 4 MVP's compared to 3 for Brady.

This might be a case of LeBron feeling like the more dominant athlete, but Brady has the better resume. I hear a lot of this when comparing Kareem to certain greats. Both of them are so great that I understand arguments for each.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Obviously different expectations coming into their respective sports but all eyes were on Lebron even in high school. Brady on the other hand was overlooked in college and was pick 199 in the NFL draft. I bet being overlooked was a huge motivation for getting better for TB12 and probably eats at him to this day.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject:

I picked bron because I can’t separate social impact . Few could match him.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Kobe
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject:

It is about the rings....not appearances. While Lebron's amount of times in the Finals is impressive, it is still less than Russell and Sam Jones...the same as Kareem and only one more than Magic and West. Brady's 10 SuperBowls would have been unimaginable a decade ago and are 2x as many as the next closest QB (Elway). Ten in the NFL is just a bigger deal than 10 in the NBA because of cap constraints and length of careers. Just some numbers that literally make no sense, and demonstrate why Brady is the GOAT on a whole different level.....

Quote:
Brady has had more playoff wins since turning 35 years old than any other QB has had in a career.

Tom Brady since turning 35 years old - 17 (33 Career Playoff Wins)
Joe Montana Career Playoff Wins - 16

2012 (35) - 1
2013 (36) - 1
2014 (37) - 3
2015 (38) - 1
2016 (39) - 3
2017 (40) - 2
2018 (41) - 3
2019 (42) - 0
2020 (43) - 3

Quote:
Brady is only behind Favre, Montana, and Rodgers in career postseason wins vs. the NFC despite this being his first year in the conference.

Brett Favre - 12
Aaron Rodgers - 10
Joe Montana - 10
Tom Brady - 9
Donovan McNabb - 9
Roger Staubach - 9
Kurt Warner - 8
Troy Aikman - 8
Drew Brees - 8
Russell Wilson - 8
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Obviously different expectations coming into their respective sports but all eyes were on Lebron even in high school. Brady on the other hand was overlooked in college and was pick 199 in the NFL draft. I bet being overlooked was a huge motivation for getting better for TB12 and probably eats at him to this day.

A far larger % of Lebron's success is due to superhuman genetics than Brady who looks similar to your uncle on the beach that one year he did weight watchers.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject:

How about this, LeBron is dominant with four others sharing the play and playing about 80% of the time, while for Brady shares with something like thirty-some others, and plays less than 50%. In other words, Brady depends far more on others than does LeBron, and plays less.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject:

I like guys like Brady, Brees and even Alex Smith. I've always admired QBs who have conquered this game using their brains rather than God touching their right shoulder at birth.

Brady just has an OK arm, it isn't terrible but it also isn't anything like any other elite QB. He doesn't have a missile launcher launcher like his elite present and former contemporaries, nor does he have the long ball placement of that crowd. He isn't mobile, he isn't athletic. With the exception of a few seasons, most of the time he had rather mediocre receivers. What he does have in his favor is a work ethic, brains, and leadership. I've never seen a QB who does a better job at pre-snap reads or incredible fast processing after the snap. He has mastered footwork, in that he navigates the pocket under pressure better than any QB ever. He has an incredible desire to win, there's no surrender in him, something he conveys to his teammates.

I remember watching the highlights of SB 51, when Atlanta pulled ahead to a seemingly insurmountable lead. The Atlanta receivers were celebrating, up until one of them shook his head and said, "But they got Tom Brady" which silenced them. That was echoed on the Patriots sideline; despite the bleakness one Patriot said, "We got Tom Brady. He's the best ever, hands down, bro, hands down."

Lebron vs. Brady? Not even close. The easy answer is Tom Brady.

He's playing a game that closely resembles Rollerball. It's a corrosive game that is engineered to beat you down into submission. Very few football players ever have a career beyond 3 years, and unlike the NBA, most of the star players exit before they reach a 10th year, usually the result of their body breaking down. There isn't a single QB (or other position player) that has won six Super Bowls, or even reached the Super Bowl as often as Brady. And unlike Montana (4), Bradshaw (4), Aikman (3), and the other repeats, he did it in the era of the salary cap, which dismantles teams annually for the sake of competitive parity.

Lebron is a special player, but he has not achieved what Brady has done over the course of his career. The closest you can come up with is Bill Russell who dominated in a league with a small number of teams, or Michael Jordan who also won six championships. And bear in mind, repeating championships or establishing team reign in the NBA is statistically easier than repeating championships or establishing a reign in the NFL.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Also, Brady was just a game manager early in his career, even for their first Super Bowl win.

All QBs are required to be game managers, but I understand the definition perfectly: If you don't have the arm of the elite Joe Flacco, you're a game manager. As a QB you have to deal with what your given (OL, RB, receivers), what you're facing on defense, assess the situation you're facing and make the right decision. Was Drew Bledsoe a game manager? No, he had a bazooka arm and the largest contract in NFL history. Why do you think he continued to sit after he got healthy? Why do you think Brady was able to move his team down the field to get in position for a FG during his first Super Bowl victory, in spite of John Madden stating it was the wrong thing to do? What Brady accomplished was not even within the pejorative definition of a game manager.

Conversely, all-time great Aaron Rodgers (not a game manager) probably could have either waltzed in to the end zone, or stumbled to the one or two yard line last night on third and goal, 2:10 or so remaining in the game. He needed a TD, but when confronted with all that green field ahead of him, he chose to throw the ball into heavy coverage.

A good game manager wouldn't have screwed that up.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Objectively speaking, Lebron is the better talent but his intangibles have always and still trail Tom Brady's. Brady is literally like Jordan: This guy never falters in the clutch and always delivered in the biggest moments going as far back as the win over the Rams in his first Superbowl that was supposed to be the Patriots receiving a beatdown at the hands of Warner and the Greatest Show on Turf. Even when he loses its like because he either gave the other QB a little too much time left on the clock after he himself just led a clutch drive or there was little to no clock left for him on the final drive. You ask a person who knows both men's careers would u choose a guy with Brady's intangibles or Lebron's and 9 or 10 out of 10 would choose Brady: This man never shrinks. Lebron on the other hand used to shrink often and Kobe used to get in his head up until 2012. Nobody got in Brady's head or could get into Brady's head
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

I don't mean this to diminish his credentials, but Brady has also lived a pretty charmed existence. He's thrown 3 interceptions in 4 playoff games (including yesterday), and his teams are 3-1 in those games lol.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I like guys like Brady, Brees and even Alex Smith. I've always admired QBs who have conquered this game using their brains rather than God touching their right shoulder at birth.

Brady just has an OK arm, it isn't terrible but it also isn't anything like any other elite QB. He doesn't have a missile launcher launcher like his elite present and former contemporaries, nor does he have the long ball placement of that crowd. He isn't mobile, he isn't athletic. With the exception of a few seasons, most of the time he had rather mediocre receivers. What he does have in his favor is a work ethic, brains, and leadership. I've never seen a QB who does a better job at pre-snap reads or incredible fast processing after the snap. He has mastered footwork, in that he navigates the pocket under pressure better than any QB ever. He has an incredible desire to win, there's no surrender in him, something he conveys to his teammates.

I remember watching the highlights of SB 51, when Atlanta pulled ahead to a seemingly insurmountable lead. The Atlanta receivers were celebrating, up until one of them shook his head and said, "But they got Tom Brady" which silenced them. That was echoed on the Patriots sideline; despite the bleakness one Patriot said, "We got Tom Brady. He's the best ever, hands down, bro, hands down."

He's playing a game that closely resembles Rollerball. It's a corrosive game that is engineered to beat you down into submission. Very few football players ever have a career beyond 3 years, and unlike the NBA, most of the star players exit before they reach a 10th year, usually the result of their body breaking down. There isn't a single QB (or other position player) that has won six Super Bowls, or even reached the Super Bowl as often as Brady. And unlike Montana (4), Bradshaw (4), Aikman (3), and the other repeats, he did it in the era of the salary cap, which dismantles teams annually for the sake of competitive parity.

Lebron is a special player, but he has not achieved what Brady has done over the course of his career. The closest you can come up with is Bill Russell who dominated in a league with a small number of teams, or Michael Jordan who also won six championships. And bear in mind, repeating championships or establishing team reign in the NBA is statistically easier than repeating championships or establishing a reign in the NFL.

Even as a Raiders fan I cant help but respect and admire Brady as a man. He is a real man among men who never shrinks in the biggest moments. Every NBA superstar player since Jordan has had critical flaws in the big moments except D. Wade who had the perfect disposition to be a clutch player even early in his career and manifested itself with the shot over Baron Davis in his very first playoff series and the 2006 finals.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I don't mean this to diminish his credentials, but Brady has also lived a pretty charmed existence. He's thrown 3 interceptions in 4 playoff games (including yesterday), and his teams are 3-1 in those games lol.

Aaron Rodgers had a much better game yesterday and his team still lost. I would be questioning the decision making after that debacle.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Aaron Rodgers had a much better game yesterday and his team still lost. I would be questioning the decision making after that debacle.

COMPLETELY agree.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Even as a Raiders fan I cant help but respect and admire Brady as a man. He is a real man among men who never shrinks in the biggest moments. Every NBA superstar player since Jordan has had critical flaws in the big moments except D. Wade who had the perfect disposition to be a clutch player even early in his career and manifested itself with the shot over Baron Davis in his very first playoff series and the 2006 finals.

I think you're forgetting someone bubba.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Brady has always had a huge margin for error, more so than any QB I've seen, by a wide margin.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I think you're forgetting someone bubba.

Do you really think Ive forgotten how Kobe Bryant played from 1996-1999? Kobe was absolutely NOT a clutch player his first couple years in the league nor did he have the disposition to be a clutch player during the 90s in the big moments with his overaggressiveness bordering on recklessness. Kobe never had any fear but that doesnt mean he could execute when it mattered his first couple years. 2000 playoffs is when it started to come together for him starting with that shot to win it over Jason Kidd and Game 4 of the finals after Shaq fouled out. Wade was always calm and under control from the moment he arrived in the league. BTW, the most clutch Laker from that entire decade of the 90s was by far Nick Van Exel who truly had ice in his veins.

Last edited by 1995Lakers on Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: