🏈NFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREAD🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

After Fisher left the game today, the Chiefs moved Remmers to LT, Wisniewski to RG, and Wylie to RT. Of course, they already lost Schwartz for the year. I shouldn't need to say that this could be a problem going against TB's awesome D-line in two weeks. That said, I'd expect Reid and Bieniemy to be ready, devise some quick-hitters, and of course Mahomes can buy time with the best of them. He looked pretty good today, mobility-wise.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Bye bye Goff, hello Aaron.

Pipe Dream

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject:

Tampa has 3 Professional Sports teams, and this year all 3 have reached the Championship Game/Series.

Lightning - Stanley Cup Champions
Rays - AL Champions
Bucs - NFC Champions (potential SuperBowl Champions)

Not bad for a small market. If the Buc's win the SuperBowl, LA has company for the label as Title Town this year with 2 major Championships each.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Tyreek Hill went nuclear in the last game at Tampa Bay in the first quarter. You have to think that they make an effort to not allow that to happen again. I could see Kelce having a huge game because of that. Still, it's really hard to completely take away Hill, given how explosive the Chiefs offense is.

The GOAT against the current best player in the game. Hopefully we get a good one.

If I recall, much of that was on Murphy-Bunting who had to play on the outside because Jamel Dean was out that game. Murphy-Bunting in ok (at best) in the slot, but he is not very good trying to match up on the outside.

I thought it was Davis that Hill was roasting, but I could be wrong. Hill's speed is just so difficult to contend with. Unlike other great WR's, Hill is harder to completely take away because he's so quick that you can still get the ball to him near the line of scrimmage, even on runs, and he can still pick up yards for you.

I got roasted a little bit on Twitter like 2 or 3 years ago when I said that I would rather have Tyreek on my team over Julio Jones. Doesn't seem so crazy now, does it?

You can find a reasonable facsimile of Julio. That player doesn't exist with Tyreke.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

I didn't watch the NFC Championship, but looking at the box score makes me wonder why Josh Allen didn't run more often. Allen threw sub 60% with a paltry 6.0 yards per attempt conveys that he was having problems finding open receivers among the KC secondary (?!). Running more often would have forced KC into using a spy to track Allen, opening things up for his receivers. In fact, knowing how poor the Buffalo ground game was coming into this contest, it begs the question as to why this wasn't part of the game plan by McDermott and Daboll.

Or is that box score somehow deceiving?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject:

Initial thoughts: Losing Eric Fisher to an Achilles injury is huge. KC is without their starting LT and RT. But there are powerful mitigating factors. First Mahomes is highly mobile, he isn't going to stay in the pocket and he senses pressure well. Second, the KC receivers are very fast, have good hands (unlike the TB receivers of late), and are on the same page as Mahomes. That won't completely negate the loss of a LT and RT, but KC is the best team in the NFL at overcoming such a loss.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Pipe Dream

Rams need a competent QB. Sure the price would be very high, but right now they have a very good defense hobbled by an offense that can't get out of its own way. What a waste of Aaron Donald's spectacular career if he were never to get another chance at a Super Bowl.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I didn't watch the NFC Championship, but looking at the box score makes me wonder why Josh Allen didn't run more often. Allen threw sub 60% with a paltry 6.0 yards per attempt conveys that he was having problems finding open receivers among the KC secondary (?!). Running more often would have forced KC into using a spy to track Allen, opening things up for his receivers. In fact, knowing how poor the Buffalo ground game was coming into this contest, it begs the question as to why this wasn't part of the game plan by McDermott and Daboll.

Or is that box score somehow deceiving?

I was saying this on Twitter during the game. He didn't run that much yet still racked up close to 100 yards. Whenever he took off, it worked. Should've done way more of it. They had no answer for it. And he wasn't running on key 3rd downs. Or near the goal line.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Pipe Dream

Rams need a competent QB. Sure the price would be very high, but right now they have a very good defense hobbled by an offense that can't get out of its own way. What a waste of Aaron Donald's spectacular career if he were never to get another chance at a Super Bowl.

I'd like to get the other Aaron. He may give the weather some consideration. Another pipe dream.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject:

So is this 1 of the last 12 coaches hired are black? So far I’m seeing lots of criticism for the Texans hire (the hire did surprise me though).

Quote:
“We’re glad to hear that it looks as if an African American will be hired in Houston, and they definitely get credit for that,” Lee said. “We have to look at the overall record. And the overall record is that out of the seven openings, there’s only been two coaches of color hired, including one African American, if that one happens with the Texans. We’re looking at the overall experience, and it has to get better.

Quote:
Fritz Pollard Alliance executive director Rod Graves, a 1977 Strake Jesuit graduate, issued a scathing statement ripping the NFL for the lack of inclusivity. Graves referenced the 2020 Racial and Gender Report Card issued by the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport, which gave the NFL failing (or near failing) grades in racial hiring for leadership positions. People of color represent 69 percent of the players and 35 percent of assistant coaches.

Quote:
“I think it’s a darn shame that Eric Bieniemy is not a head football coach in the NFL, and that’s the one that stands out a lot more than others,” Lee said. “Let’s call it what it is: If he was white and had been an offensive coordinator of a Super Bowl champion, he would have had a job waiting on him.

LINK
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

The Ravens lost their outstanding LT, Ronnie Stanley, during the season, and Orlando Brown Jr. stepped in and did a fine job. Apparently he could be on the move, as he considers himself a LT only and doesn't want to go back to RT. La Canfora is plugged into the Ravens. I'd imagine LT-needy teams would be sniffing around here, as Brown is entering the final year of his rookie deal and is due an extremely affordable $1.1MM. Chargers, anyone? They do have a mid-2nd rounder this year (#47 overall), and I'd imagine that might be around the range that the Ravens would be looking for in terms of draft compensation. (I don't think they can get a 1st for him.) He received a very strong 76 grade from PFF this past season.

Jason La Canfora
@JasonLaCanfora
·
3m
Based on Orlando Brown's Tweet, the Ravens top $ deal with LT Ronnie Stanley and what I am hearing from sources, Brown is stuck in, is only interested in playing LT and his days in BAL likely numbered. Trade may be only solution
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I'm biased as I never had a high opinion of Goff, but I'd demand quite a bit more if I'm exchanging Stafford for Goff.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Maybe I'm biased as I never had a high opinion of Goff, but I'd demand quite a bit more if I'm exchanging Stafford for Goff.

its an upgrade and gets the rams out of a bad situation early. I think dak would be better for age and skill but stafford is cheaper.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

its an upgrade and gets the rams out of a bad situation early. I think dak would be better for age and skill but stafford is cheaper.

Of course you don't know what will happen, but Jeremy Fowler on ESPN seemed to suggest that it will cost three 1st Round picks for Watson, and one 1st Round pick for Stafford, not two. Perhaps Miami could get away with two 1st's and Tua, but I think that generally seems right. As we know, the Rams don't have a 1st this year. But perhaps something like Goff (to give them a non-embarrassing starter for the next 2 years), a '22 1st, a '23 2nd, and one of the Rams young safeties could be something that is in the ballpark for Stafford.

For Watson the Jets can offer #2 overall, #23 overall (via Seattle), a 2022 1st, and even Sam Darnold. Miami could offer #3 overall (via Houston, ironically), #18 overall, a 2022 1st, and/or Tua. It's hard for me to imagine any team beating those offers, and since it doesn't seem like he would say no to those locations, those two teams have to be heavy favorites to get him imo.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Halflife wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Of course you don't know what will happen, but Jeremy Fowler on ESPN seemed to suggest that it will cost three 1st Round picks for Watson, and one 1st Round pick for Stafford, not two. Perhaps Miami could get away with two 1st's and Tua, but I think that generally seems right. As we know, the Rams don't have a 1st this year. But perhaps something like Goff (to give them a non-embarrassing starter for the next 2 years), a '22 1st, a '23 2nd, and one of the Rams young safeties could be something that is in the ballpark for Stafford.

For Watson the Jets can offer #2 overall, #23 overall (via Seattle), a 2022 1st, and even Sam Darnold. Miami could offer #3 overall (via Houston, ironically), #18 overall, a 2022 1st, and/or Tua. It's hard for me to imagine any team beating those offers, and since it doesn't seem like he would say no to those locations, those two teams have to be heavy favorites to get him imo.

I agree. Goff isnt a horrible QB and you could sell"still young" to fanbase.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject:

A couple of other wrinkles here. One is that the Lions actually don't have complete leverage here, given that they would owe Stafford a $10MM roster bonus after March 21. Other teams know that, so it would of course be to their benefit to make the Lions wait. However, this could help the Rams. The Rams may say, OK, we'll do the deal early, and in turn, the Lions don't get a '21 1st, but future considerations (including at least one 1st, obviously) from the Rams. Given the status of the Rams being seen as a desirable spot with their defense and coach in place (and solid, if not spectacular, offensive skill position players), I could see Stafford wanting to come. Maybe he sees the 49ers as less solid because their defense doesn't necessarily have its secondary in place any longer, I don't know. I think their offense is in better shape though, unless you think McVay is clearly superior to Shanahan.

The other thing about the Orlando Brown Jr. situation with the Ravens is that they obviously don't see Brown as a LT, with Stanley in tow. And while they could let him play out the final year of his rookie deal at RT and then franchise tag him in '22, a long-term deal doesn't sound possible, given that Brown sees himself as a LT. And even if they were to consider giving him big money to play RT, the Ravens, who currently project to have about $26MM in cap space for '21, are going to have to give Lamar Jackson a mega-extension sometime within the next couple of years. It doesn't seem likely that Brown is a candidate to get big money to play RT. Given all that, a trade does seem like it's logical.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject:

More on Brown from La Canfora...

Jason La Canfora
@JasonLaCanfora
·
3m
I'd put the odds of Orlando Brown playing out his rookie deal at RT for the Ravens up there with the odds of Chad Henne winning Super Bowl MVP or me competing an Iron Man Triathlon
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Texans could also let JJ Watt walk, which makes sense given their rebuild. Despite some declining production and increased injury issues, I'm sure he would have a lot of contenders interested.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Texans could also let JJ Watt walk, which makes sense given their rebuild. Despite some declining production and increased injury issues, I'm sure he would have a lot of contenders interested.

He basically already said goodbye to Houston, I would be surprised if he was a Texan next season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Peter King
@peter_king
·
30m
Two people in the loop think a Stafford trade gets done by Tuesday, or earlier.
Not saying it will happen. Just passing on what I'm hearing while reporting and early-writing Monday's FMIA.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I want Watt on the Dolphins. We need a third down pass rusher. QBs were sitting way too comfy on third down this year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I want Watt on the Dolphins. We need a third down pass rusher. QBs were sitting way too comfy on third down this year.

I could see all 4 AFC East teams in on him. The Bills defense took a step back this season. Miami is a team on the come up and needs to get better up front, as you noted. The Jets are getting a defensive guru that players love, and if they also got Watson, I mean, that could be very appealing to Watt. And I guess you can't rule out the Patriots, who also need pass rushing badly.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject:

I think that the key with Watt is optimizing whatever he’s got left to offer. He’s not an every down player any longer, but he’s still JJ Watt and he’s still a force.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
I think that the key with Watt is optimizing whatever he’s got left to offer. He’s not an every down player any longer, but he’s still JJ Watt and he’s still a force.

I agree that he's not the same, but still offers some game-wrecking ability. You have to wonder if he'd want to play with his brother on the Steelers, but their cap situation is pretty hideous. Still, can't rule that out.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Halflife wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I agree. Goff isnt a horrible QB and you could sell"still young" to fanbase.

That depends how you define "horrible". To me, Goff is horrible. Sure, he's young, but he has shown no signs of being able to process what is transpiring on the field after the snap. That's troubling, it is extremely doubtful that he'll ever "get it" as quick processing is an important base attribute at QB. To me he's horrible in that he plays below his contract, and he's just good enough to keep a terrible team from capturing an early pick in the draft. He locks you into hell.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 41 of 335
Jump to: