What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Assisted suicide should be legal everywhere and should cover everything from mental health, terminal illness and someone’s want to just not be here anymore.

The palliative care seen in most hospices are seen as a better alternative.

I'm torn on euthanasia. I worry that some people change their minds after the process starts and death becomes immediately certain.
But I reluctantly agree with you. Every person should have autonomy over their body. As long as they aren't hurting anybody else in the process.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Assisted suicide should be legal everywhere and should cover everything from mental health, terminal illness and someone’s want to just not be here anymore.

I'm torn on euthanasia. I worry that some people change their minds after the process starts and death becomes immediately certain.
But I reluctantly agree with you. Every person should have autonomy over their body. As long as they aren't hurting anybody else in the process.

This is something i can speak personally to. My mother faced a number of health issues that severely crippled he quality of life. She was facing spending the rest of her life on dialysis 3 days a week. Even on her best days, she needed someone to physically get her there. She was stuck in assisted living, and while she was in a great facility with lots of amenities, she really was physically unable to enjoy them on her efforts. She spent her life as a strong, independent woman who did amazing things travelling the world, working with prominent people on interesting projects. She was reduced to being dependent on others for the simplest of things. She started to have frequent health issues that kept landing her back in the hospital and one of those was one where they didn't think she'd come out of ICU.

She finally had enough. Even though there were ways that she could have potentially continued to live for years by maintaining a routine of dialysis etc. it became clear to her that she was merely just surviving and not actually living. The bravest thing I have ever seen was when she finally decided that surviving was not only just a drain on her, but a fruitless pursuit of a life she'd never experience again.

She choose palliative care to aid her on her way out. That 4 days of being made comfortable, surrounded by friends and family, as she was allowed to let life take its course was the happiest I had seen her in a long time. It was rough emotionally to know what the outcome would be. But I was glad to know she was going out on her terms, happy and confident again. I was never more proud of her for being who she was.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Halflife wrote:

This is the frustration in that the people who reluctantly agree with it are the ones making decisions. In all honesty it shouldn’t matter to anyone other than person wanting to die.

Why is someone with a terminal illness more qualified than someone who suffers from depression. I get that being a human is held as being sacred to some but to others it’s not.

Suicide is not pretty. I know this better than most. Even though I was incredibly close to them I never ever.....ever questioned why. I just think if someone has had it. They Have come to grips with aftermath ( leaving people behind) there should be an alternative out to shooting, jumping, pills, hanging etc. I’m certainly not saying over the counter, but a doctor prescribed out would be better.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

I agree with people’s right to take their own life, I disagree that anything to do with institutional assistance of that should be predicted on the idea that not all people take human life as sacred.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I think that while it would be nice to return to a more polite society in effect, in practice, most elements of decorum were actually methods of keeping the underlings subservient to their betters. Sir, ma’am, mr president, madame secretary, doctor so and so, your honor, referring to people by their highest office even when they don’t hold it anymore, all designed to remind you that they are Chevy Chase and you’re not.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think that while it would be nice to return to a more polite society in effect, in practice, most elements of decorum were actually methods of keeping the underlings subservient to their betters. Sir, ma’am, mr president, madame secretary, doctor so and so, your honor, referring to people by their highest office even when they don’t hold it anymore, all designed to remind you that they are Chevy Chase and you’re not.

I will insert a phrase I loathe.

1hundid
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

No one wants to be that a$$#ole.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
But I was glad to know she was going out on her terms, happy and confident again. I was never more proud of her for being who she was.

Great story about a great woman. Thanks for sharing.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
But I was glad to know she was going out on her terms, happy and confident again. I was never more proud of her for being who she was.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject:

My most controversial opinion is that the coronavirus helped Trump's electoral chances on net.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
My most controversial opinion is that the coronavirus helped Trump's electoral chances on net.

That's juicy. Please explain.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

1) In times of externally imposed crisis politicians often get rallying bumps regardless of how they respond to the crisis.

2) The backlash to piecemeal shutdowns, mask wearing, etc. energized voters for Trump.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

1) In times of externally imposed crisis politicians often get rallying bumps regardless of how they respond to the crisis.

2) The backlash to piecemeal shutdowns, mask wearing, etc. energized voters for Trump.

This is true. There’s evidence that the Latino vote in particular was motivated by wanting to end the shut downs.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject:

My pronunciation of Jodeke rhymes with Jodeci, and I hear his posts in Bill Duke’s voice. Sue me.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
My pronunciation of Jodeke rhymes with Jodeci, and I hear his posts in Bill Duke’s voice. Sue me.

I always assumed it was JOE-DUH-KEE, rhyming with Jodeci like you described.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I always assumed it was JOE-DUH-KEE, rhyming with Jodeci like you described.

I always thought he kept yelling "Hold the key!" over and over until the white walkers got him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Bill Duke’s voice. Sue me.

Scatman Crothers for me

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Scatman Crothers for me

For me, more like RuPaul.

You better work.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

As in his speech to Jesse Ventura in Predator? Haha. I can see it. Everything Jojo says has the same tragedy, sorrow, anger, and emphasis as Bill's speech to Jesse. "I'm gon' cut'choooo naaayme into'em..."

Jodeke in Bill Duke's voice to Mule: "No saaaarcasm inTENded!... My post went WHOOOOSH ova ya heaaaad... Ova heeeh, ova heeeh, ova heeeh, turn arraaand, turn araaand...

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Scatman Crothers for me

Scatman to Danny: "WULL, WHATCHO FAVERIT FOOD THEN?!1..."

Scatman: "But choo ain't got no BIZNESS goin inta Room 2-3-7, so you STAAAY...OUT! You heah me?! You STAAY OUT!"

Scatz was touched by working w/ Danny Boy. There's a scene in the Making Of of The Shining where he cries, I felt bad for Scatman. You wanna give him a hug. RIP to that beautiful gentleman.

Shelley screwing up:

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/E83HJad.png

I'm old school when it comes to Xmas lights and decorations. Sadly, as my massive collection of lights ages out and many of them stop working, it's getting harder and harder to replace them with good old incandescent. Even when you can find "warm" LED's, they don't really have the same look of a small piece of filament burning.

Yes, Sir. I hate those LED things. The old glass bulbs have a warmth to them. I got a fam member who has a string of red/white/green bulbs (powdered inside) that still work year after year and I always like to see them simply because they're like being on a ship and a great white comes up and does a full mouth gape while you're filming. They're about as rare as that scenario. And it's just a simple 1-string facade-line. I'm looking forward to seeing them again 11 months from now. Fam apparently got them in 93 when they moved in, which was the beginning of the end, so they're still sorta new and in better shape than 70s bulbs.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Apparently peeling carrots is controversial.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject:

The people who came up with the Grubh*b animated ad should be forced to fight to the death on a deserted island.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject:

If all automakers abandon the internal combustion engine, they take away one of the more convenient ways for me to commit suicide in my garage. This seems like a net loss for society.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 22 of 80
Jump to: