Philadelphia records highest number of homicides in 30 years
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Philadelphia records highest number of homicides in 30 years

https://6abc.com/homicide-city-of-philadelphia-shooting-gun-violence/9178910/

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject:

This is going to be nationwide once the numbers are out.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

insane...we just need to show all microorganisms that nobody kills us but us.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Nothing to prove man. The handwriting was on the wall once the economy tanked and the police stopped doing police ish in so many cities. I'm curious to see the uptick in Seattle.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Nothing to prove man. The handwriting was on the wall once the economy tanked and the police stopped doing police ish in so many cities. I'm curious to see the uptick in Seattle.

Why Seattle?

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject:

NYT says vehicular deaths in NY are skyrocketing, too. Prolly an empty streets phenomenon whereby idiots speed up and drive more recklessly than usual.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Why Seattle?

Suicide hotbed. Rainy days. Seasonal Affective Disorder. Cmon, Peezy. You may only get into Cornell instead of Princeton if you keep this up.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:09 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

This. There is no reason for police to risk their careers doing pro active police work when politicians will throw them under the bus for doing their job. A lot are doing the minimum. Going from radio call to radio call.

In LA, shootings and homicide are up as well.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
NYT says vehicular deaths in NY are skyrocketing, too. Prolly an empty streets phenomenon whereby idiots speed up and drive more recklessly than usual.

All the old folks are cooped up in their homes following the stay at home orders while the young people who think they are invincible see the empty open road as an invitation to speed.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

This. There is no reason for police to risk their careers doing pro active police work when politicians will throw them under the bus for doing their job. A lot are doing the minimum. Going from radio call to radio call.

I think the predominate factor is what it always is with violent crime. Lack of economic opportunity.
Unemployment is horrible right now, and 3 out of 4 small businesses had to shut down.
The inner city violence won't be stopped by more policing in this current economic environment. Lifelong law enforcement will tell you, all policing does is move the crime around. (Out from one block and in to another).
Alot of the time violent criminals are fully aware of the risk (being caught by law enforcement). But they do it anyway because they feel like the have to.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Neither politicians nor citizens will throw the police under the bus for doing their jobs. They're thrown under the bus for police brutality and shooting unarmed citizens.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Why Seattle?

Suicide hotbed. Rainy days. Seasonal Affective Disorder. Cmon, Peezy. You may only get into Cornell instead of Princeton if you keep this up

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I think the predominate factor is what it always is with violent crime. Lack of economic opportunity.
Unemployment is horrible right now, and 3 out of 4 small businesses had to shut down.
The inner city violence won't be stopped by more policing in this current economic environment. Lifelong law enforcement will tell you, all policing does is move the crime around. (Out from one block and in to another).
Alot of the time violent criminals are fully aware of the risk (being caught by law enforcement). But they do it anyway because they feel like the have to.

Inner city violence isn’t being caused by the economy. It’s being caused by gang feuds.

As a current law enforcement officer, you can’t stop the violence completely, but you can control it. I can tell you this by my experience working in south la and also growing up and living in south la. (30 years) and I’m not talking about the petty crime. I’m talking about the shootings that are up almost 40 percent.

When metropolitan division or the gang units were out in the streets we knew. Now, hardly any police presence.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Inner city violence isn’t being caused by the economy. It’s being caused by gang feuds.

As a current law enforcement officer, you can’t stop the violence completely, but you can control it. I can tell you this by my experience working in south la and also growing up and living in south la. (30 years) and I’m not talking about the petty crime. I’m talking about the shootings that are up almost 40 percent.

When metropolitan division or the gang units were out in the streets we knew. Now, hardly any police presence.

Are you equating rising crime to gang fueds? If so I think I understand where you're coming from. If you mean kick gang members asses and get thrown under the bus for being proactive I understand why politicians throw them under the bus.

That's not what the book says. You don't do a Trump, let them bump their heads when putting them into the patrol car, you hold your hand on the top of their heads a tell them to watch it. I'm sure there are procedures in place to combat gang crime.

As much as it may distress you, criminals have rights too.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Are you equating rising crime to gang fueds? If so I think I understand where you're coming from. If you mean kick gang members asses and get thrown under the bus for being proactive I understand why politicians throw them under the bus.

That's not what the book says. You don't do a Trump, let them bump their heads when putting them into the patrol car, you hold your hand on the top of their heads a tell them to watch it. I'm sure there are procedures in place to combat gang crime.

As much as it may distress you, criminals have rights too.

A lot of assuming there on your part man. I never said “let police go kick their asses”.

There’s ways of conducting crime suppression and not beat up people. Like I said, I grew up in the inner city. I see both sides of it. The growing up in the “hood” and now policing the neighborhood I grew up in.

I never said let police put on hats and bats and go beat some ass. These gang members are smart. They know the laws just as well as you and I. They know that juveniles get a slap on the wrist for committing crime. They know most crimes committed to benefit their gang are now zero bail.

Never in my career in law enforcement have I seen an officer slam someone’s head against a car. I don’t know where you read or saw that. Bad example.
Now, are there bad officers, sure. Just like there are bad doctors, bad nurses, bad teachers and just bad people in general. No one defends them.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Newark PD didn’t fire a bullet last year
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:
Now, are there bad officers, sure. Just like there are bad doctors, bad nurses, bad teachers and just bad people in general. No one defends them.

I think you are a fair guy. But this is a bad argument in my opinion.

Putting that aside, thanks for telling us more about your experience. It genuinely interests me.

I think we were talking past each other a bit earlier. You are right, seeing more law enforcement around makes violent criminals less likely to commit street violence there. Law enforcement presence is like a metaphorical border wall. But if you don't address why people are committing violent crime or why people are "crossing the border" illegally. You are just playing defense on the problem and not offense.

So that's why I see this as an economics problem more so than a police presence problem.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

All the old folks are cooped up in their homes following the stay at home orders while the young people who think they are invincible see the empty open road as an invitation to speed.

To be fair, people speed in NY regardless of whether there is open road or not. Clusters of traffic will be all speeding together at times.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:

There’s ways of conducting crime suppression and not beat up people. Like I said, I grew up in the inner city. I see both sides of it. The growing up in the “hood” and now policing the neighborhood I grew up in.

I never said let police put on hats and bats and go beat some ass. These gang members are smart. They know the laws just as well as you and I. They know that juveniles get a slap on the wrist for committing crime. They know most crimes committed to benefit their gang are now zero bail.

Never in my career in law enforcement have I seen an officer slam someone’s head against a car. I don’t know where you read or saw that. Bad example.

I’m not going to doubt your claims as to what you have actually witnessed, but there’s no way anyone even remotely aware of your “hoods” law enforcement history (or any other huge urban area) can pretend that such behavior and far worse hasn’t happened routinely. The comparison between cops who abuse their authority and others in fields where they are to help and may be incompetent is one without merit.

And therein lies the problem. Until law enforcement can acknowledge that they are a part of the problem where law enforcement is most required and take responsibility for it instead of blaming the communities they are entrusted to serve, we are doomed to the same (bleep) we have seen for decades.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

You may only get into Cornell instead of Princeton if you keep this up

Don't tell the Princeton hopeful that Peez got accepted to Hahhvahd.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Yeah, that's about pretty much it. End of inquiry. However, they gotta go thru the motions and assign a taskforce to study it and give their recommended fixes, etc.

--I dislike the "think they're invincible" notion. I don't remember thinking that as a conscious act. It's more that they don't think of it. They go around imbued with the realization that they've got their entire lives ahead of them and they're too young to know the grim aspects of car crashes. They gotta see examples of gore to even penetrate their overconfident little minds.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

To be fair, people speed in NY regardless of whether there is open road or not. Clusters of traffic will be all speeding together at times.

Right hook collisions with bike messengers has to be down to historic lows. There aren't that many messengers around anymore. There was an excellent segment on the remaining holdouts in NY on HBO Real Sports a couple yrs ago. Wish I could see it again. They got a few of them and told their stories and ultimately they all concluded that they like they are adrenaline junkies like X-treme sports doods. But they almost all have a right hook story (as they call it; right hand turn that Fs em up in the crosswalk).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Yeah, that's about pretty much it. End of inquiry. However, they gotta go thru the motions and assign a taskforce to study it and give their recommended fixes, etc.

--I dislike the "think they're invincible" notion. I don't remember thinking that as a conscious act. It's more that they don't think of it. They go around imbued with the realization that they've got their entire lives ahead of them and they're too young to know the grim aspects of car crashes. They gotta see examples of gore to even penetrate their overconfident little minds.

Red asphalt. That got me good in driver's ed.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:

I think you are a fair guy. But this is a bad argument in my opinion.

Putting that aside, thanks for telling us more about your experience. It genuinely interests me.

I think we were talking past each other a bit earlier. You are right, seeing more law enforcement around makes violent criminals less likely to commit street violence there. Law enforcement presence is like a metaphorical border wall. But if you don't address why people are committing violent crime or why people are "crossing the border" illegally. You are just playing defense on the problem and not offense.

So that's why I see this as an economics problem more so than a police presence problem.

I totally agree with you on the economics part. Property crime (especially GTA’s/ catalytic converters being stolen) has increased dramatically since covid began. At my division, we were averaging about 60 cars being reported stolen a week. Less people at work, more cars parked out on the street and people looking for an easy buck selling stolen parts.

As far as the violent crime (homicides, Shootings), Hoover criminals gang has really stepped up their feud with the “duece card” gangs( East coast, Main Street, etc etc. basically most crip gangs). Add the blood gangs also shooting it out with the crip sets.

I have not seen south central/watts this bad since the 90’s and early 2000’s.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:
catalytic converters being stolen

So this is a thing then? This happened to 2 of my co workers this year. When I heard about it, I thought that it was very odd.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: