What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 25157
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Assisted suicide should be legal everywhere and should cover everything from mental health, terminal illness and someone’s want to just not be here anymore.

The palliative care seen in most hospices are seen as a better alternative.

I'm torn on euthanasia. I worry that some people change their minds after the process starts and death becomes immediately certain.
But I reluctantly agree with you. Every person should have autonomy over their body. As long as they aren't hurting anybody else in the process.
_________________
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 47944
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Assisted suicide should be legal everywhere and should cover everything from mental health, terminal illness and someone’s want to just not be here anymore.

The palliative care seen in most hospices are seen as a better alternative.

I'm torn on euthanasia. I worry that some people change their minds after the process starts and death becomes immediately certain.
But I reluctantly agree with you. Every person should have autonomy over their body. As long as they aren't hurting anybody else in the process.


This is something i can speak personally to. My mother faced a number of health issues that severely crippled he quality of life. She was facing spending the rest of her life on dialysis 3 days a week. Even on her best days, she needed someone to physically get her there. She was stuck in assisted living, and while she was in a great facility with lots of amenities, she really was physically unable to enjoy them on her efforts. She spent her life as a strong, independent woman who did amazing things travelling the world, working with prominent people on interesting projects. She was reduced to being dependent on others for the simplest of things. She started to have frequent health issues that kept landing her back in the hospital and one of those was one where they didn't think she'd come out of ICU.

She finally had enough. Even though there were ways that she could have potentially continued to live for years by maintaining a routine of dialysis etc. it became clear to her that she was merely just surviving and not actually living. The bravest thing I have ever seen was when she finally decided that surviving was not only just a drain on her, but a fruitless pursuit of a life she'd never experience again.

She choose palliative care to aid her on her way out. That 4 days of being made comfortable, surrounded by friends and family, as she was allowed to let life take its course was the happiest I had seen her in a long time. It was rough emotionally to know what the outcome would be. But I was glad to know she was going out on her terms, happy and confident again. I was never more proud of her for being who she was.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 4333

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Assisted suicide should be legal everywhere and should cover everything from mental health, terminal illness and someone’s want to just not be here anymore.

The palliative care seen in most hospices are seen as a better alternative.

I'm torn on euthanasia. I worry that some people change their minds after the process starts and death becomes immediately certain.
But I reluctantly agree with you. Every person should have autonomy over their body. As long as they aren't hurting anybody else in the process.

This is the frustration in that the people who reluctantly agree with it are the ones making decisions. In all honesty it shouldn’t matter to anyone other than person wanting to die.

Why is someone with a terminal illness more qualified than someone who suffers from depression. I get that being a human is held as being sacred to some but to others it’s not.

Suicide is not pretty. I know this better than most. Even though I was incredibly close to them I never ever.....ever questioned why. I just think if someone has had it. They Have come to grips with aftermath ( leaving people behind) there should be an alternative out to shooting, jumping, pills, hanging etc. I’m certainly not saying over the counter, but a doctor prescribed out would be better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 87818
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

I agree with people’s right to take their own life, I disagree that anything to do with institutional assistance of that should be predicted on the idea that not all people take human life as sacred.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 87818
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I think that while it would be nice to return to a more polite society in effect, in practice, most elements of decorum were actually methods of keeping the underlings subservient to their betters. Sir, ma’am, mr president, madame secretary, doctor so and so, your honor, referring to people by their highest office even when they don’t hold it anymore, all designed to remind you that they are Chevy Chase and you’re not.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 4333

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think that while it would be nice to return to a more polite society in effect, in practice, most elements of decorum were actually methods of keeping the underlings subservient to their betters. Sir, ma’am, mr president, madame secretary, doctor so and so, your honor, referring to people by their highest office even when they don’t hold it anymore, all designed to remind you that they are Chevy Chase and you’re not.

I will insert a phrase I loathe.

1hundid
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 47944
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think that while it would be nice to return to a more polite society in effect, in practice, most elements of decorum were actually methods of keeping the underlings subservient to their betters. Sir, ma’am, mr president, madame secretary, doctor so and so, your honor, referring to people by their highest office even when they don’t hold it anymore, all designed to remind you that they are Chevy Chase and you’re not.


No one wants to be that a$$#ole.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 25157
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
But I was glad to know she was going out on her terms, happy and confident again. I was never more proud of her for being who she was.


Great story about a great woman. Thanks for sharing.
_________________
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 47944
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
But I was glad to know she was going out on her terms, happy and confident again. I was never more proud of her for being who she was.


Great story about a great woman. Thanks for sharing.



_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 2569
Location: 6.1.9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
But I was glad to know she was going out on her terms, happy and confident again. I was never more proud of her for being who she was.


Great story about a great woman. Thanks for sharing.





_________________
Lakers & Dodgers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 28933

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject:

My most controversial opinion is that the coronavirus helped Trump's electoral chances on net.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 25157
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
My most controversial opinion is that the coronavirus helped Trump's electoral chances on net.

That's juicy. Please explain.
_________________
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 28933

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
My most controversial opinion is that the coronavirus helped Trump's electoral chances on net.

That's juicy. Please explain.

1) In times of externally imposed crisis politicians often get rallying bumps regardless of how they respond to the crisis.

2) The backlash to piecemeal shutdowns, mask wearing, etc. energized voters for Trump.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 87818
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
My most controversial opinion is that the coronavirus helped Trump's electoral chances on net.

That's juicy. Please explain.

1) In times of externally imposed crisis politicians often get rallying bumps regardless of how they respond to the crisis.

2) The backlash to piecemeal shutdowns, mask wearing, etc. energized voters for Trump.


This is true. There’s evidence that the Latino vote in particular was motivated by wanting to end the shut downs.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 87818
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject:

My pronunciation of Jodeke rhymes with Jodeci, and I hear his posts in Bill Duke’s voice. Sue me.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 22863
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
My pronunciation of Jodeke rhymes with Jodeci, and I hear his posts in Bill Duke’s voice. Sue me.


I always assumed it was JOE-DUH-KEE, rhyming with Jodeci like you described.
_________________
THE JOB IS FINISHED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10814

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
My pronunciation of Jodeke rhymes with Jodeci, and I hear his posts in Bill Duke’s voice. Sue me.


I always assumed it was JOE-DUH-KEE, rhyming with Jodeci like you described.


I always thought he kept yelling "Hold the key!" over and over until the white walkers got him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Posts: 18496
Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Bill Duke’s voice. Sue me.


Scatman Crothers for me
_________________
http://chickhearn.ytmnd.com/

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 2569
Location: 6.1.9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Bill Duke’s voice. Sue me.


Scatman Crothers for me


For me, more like RuPaul.

You better work.


_________________
Lakers & Dodgers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB