What docs have you been watching?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Robin actually had the best voice and all three did falsetto, fwiw. Justin Timberlake is in the documentary (not singing thankfully) and he hit the nail on the head when he said they could harmonize their voices into one voice, almost a chord, and that they could also use their voices for emphasis like a horn section. It turns out I like their stuff a lot more than I thought I did when I was a young punk. And yes, they were heavily influenced by soul and RnB, especially once they discovered the falsetto voice. The doc goes into that a bit.

Justin is a woman's man, no time to sing. You can tell by the way he uses his walk. I realize a lot of groups/singers who weren't disco before stuck their toe in that pond, otherwise we wouldn't have the great hit "I Was Made For Lovin You" (barf, even worse than non-disco song "Beth"). Or speaking of alt/NY punk era, Blondie's "Heart Of Glass". I'm interested to hear how they felt about that defining so much of their career.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject:

Spoiler, they hated it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Finally got around to watching that doc on the murder of Jamal Khashoggi by the Saudi government.

Where's that featured? I wanna see that one. Besides the obvious, how was it presented?

Anyone know the name of it? I'mmo pin this down and watch it.

It's called "Kingdom of Silence" and it's airing on Showtime.

It's presented as a series of interviews chronicling the change in his ideals about his country and how they led to him to become an exile and the enemy of the state.

OK, thx. Can you imagine how that execution scene went down? When he realized they were trying to kill him there and then? Or maybe they knocked him out from behind. Disgusting we have to deal with that animal MBS not to mention the nation that spawned the majority of the 9/11 hijackers. I hope MBS knew to pull that while we had a weak president in office at the time. Was truly disgusting seeing Trump looking meek and outright owned (pwned in reality) by Putin as he and MBS laughed like hyenas about their bloodthirsty deeds. But of course, the press are the enemy of the people. Khassoghi's murder/assassination was no different than Daniel Pearl's.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Spoiler, they hated it.

Ah. They weren't made for lovin it, then. Gene Simmons woulda kept doin it if he made more money than w/ rock.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Spoiler, they hated it.

Ah. They weren't made for lovin it, then. Gene Simmons woulda kept doin it if he made more money than w/ rock.

They actually had to basically suspend the band because they couldn’t get airplay in the disco backlash. But it turned out well because it made them concentrate on songwriting, and they penned a lot of great music for others during that period.
nateball
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Its not new but I just watched the Doc "Senna", about Brazilian Formula One driver Ayrton Senna who won 3 F1 titles before he died in a crash at age 34.

I am not a racing fan but found this to be an emotional film that has a lot to unpack and well worth a watch.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1424432/?ref_=tt_mv_close
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
No Safe Spaces
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8363914/

The Rise of Jordan Peterson
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10469384/

Uncle Tom
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9708358/

Created Equal
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10256238/

What’s My Name. The Ali documentary. You should check that out. Even though I’m sure a lot of black conservatives hated him then and would hate a young Ali now.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
No Safe Spaces

Uncle Tom

Created Equal

What’s My Name. The Ali documentary. You should check that out. Even though I’m sure a lot of black conservatives hated him then and would hate a young Ali now.

Yep. I googled Thomas Sowell and Muhammad Ali. I found a national review article from Sowell written in 2008.

Quote:
When you see old films of Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano, you see adults acting like adults– indeed, like gentlemen.

There was none of this making faces at an opponent before the fight or loudly boasting afterwards, much less taunting during the contest. In other words, you didn’t have to act like a lout in order to be a boxer.

Quote:
Like so much that went wrong in American society, the new style of loutish self-dramatization began in the 1960s. When Muhammad Ali became heavyweight champion in 1964, it marked the end of the era when boxers simply did their job, collected their money and went home, usually after a few brief words.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2008/08/gratingest-generation-thomas-sowell/

There are few if any AA writers or public figures I respect less than Sowell. Of all the things to write about Ali. What he stood for. And that is what Sowell focused on. Disgusting.

Last edited by kikanga on Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
There wasn’t too much hidden knowledge in the Bee Gees documentary, aside from me not knowing how many songs they wrote for others. The beauty of it was in watching the oldest and last living brother (they died in precisely the opposite order of their birth) and his wistfulness for their absence. And just watching the way they made music. Criminally underrated band because they blew up so big during disco. The live rendition of “run to me”, seeing their closeness and amazing harmony in real time, was especially touching, and it’s a great song.

I remember hearing their version of "You Don't Know What It's Like" when I was maybe late teens and I didn't know they had a catalogue before Sat Nite Fever (which I only saw in full a few years ago, surprised it was a good movie, but even dreck from the 70s is often good). I like a few of their songs, not a fan, per se, but I think I "get it" re: Bee Gees. I understand why they were uber popular, "How Deep Is Your Love?" was a good triple harmonic song from the broz. You'd think they were like The Commodores w/ Lionel as the main talent in the group, but as much as Barry Gibb had the looks compared to the other two, and that falsetto voice, they all contributed a lot to their songs. I just can't believe how Murica went Disco like that. I'd like to take that Doc Brown DeLorean to 77 to see if that was really real or if the media is conning anyone born past around 1973ish. Those collars and that polyester can't be real. And those afros. Anyway, I'll peep it. I'm more poignant and able-to-feel-touched-(soulwise) than I come off on LG. I'm not as dumb as I sound.

Robin actually had the best voice and all three did falsetto, fwiw. Justin Timberlake is in the documentary (not singing thankfully) and he hit the nail on the head when he said they could harmonize their voices into one voice, almost a chord, and that they could also use their voices for emphasis like a horn section. It turns out I like their stuff a lot more than I thought I did when I was a young punk. And yes, they were heavily influenced by soul and RnB, especially once they discovered the falsetto voice. The doc goes into that a bit.

Wife & I watched it on Christmas - it was very enlightening about their early success. I knew they had hits in the late 60s/early 70s, but I'd never really heard of them until SNF. Disco died while I was in HS, but "How Deep Is Your Love" & "Guilty" (with Streisand) lived on in Easy Listening FM radio, which was the default "muzak" for all of my early jobs.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
No Safe Spaces

Uncle Tom

Created Equal

Yep. I googled Thomas Sowell and Muhammad Ali. I found a national review article from Sowell written in 2008.

Quote:
When you see old films of Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano, you see adults acting like adults– indeed, like gentlemen.

There was none of this making faces at an opponent before the fight or loudly boasting afterwards, much less taunting during the contest. In other words, you didn’t have to act like a lout in order to be a boxer.

Quote:
Like so much that went wrong in American society, the new style of loutish self-dramatization began in the 1960s. When Muhammad Ali became heavyweight champion in 1964, it marked the end of the era when boxers simply did their job, collected their money and went home, usually after a few brief words.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2008/08/gratingest-generation-thomas-sowell/

There are few if any AA writers or public figures I respect less than Sowell. Of all the things to write about Ali. What he stood for. And that is what Sowell focused on. Disgusting.

Hate is a strong word . . . I hate Sowell, Ward Connerly & Shelby Steele.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

not really commenting on the Ali article....I will read the link soon, but I love Ali and at the same time have some criticisms of him. Again, I am mostly a fan, but do not agree with everything Ali did in his life....and none of it is related to his personality as it appears that Sowell is speaking about in the quote you provided.

All that said, are you sure you do not respect Thomas Sowell? I get someone may not agree with Sowell, but to not respect him just seems nearly impossible to me. He is a brilliant man. There are few if any intellectuals that I admire more than Sowell, but again that is because I share much of his ideology, philosophy. etc....but even if I did not share that with him, I know or have seen nothing about the man that would cause me to disrespect him.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Sowell is a great example of a brilliant mind using his skills to sell out to a base pandering conclusion that demeans him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Watched an amazing episode of a show on Nat Geo recently, Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller The episode was on PED's/Steroids, and I wanted to watch basically to see how deep they would go, and if they were being really honest in regards to where the drugs are currently originating from in the World. They were to a degree, but that was not really the path they took as they mostly focused on this guy that goes by Dr. Tony Huge. The guy is not a medical doctor and I knew him mostly as coming off as a dbag on Instagram.

To my surprise, he is really invested in pushing the limits of many new PED's like SARM's which is a world that I have limited knowledge about as it has mostly grown if recent years. Of course he still uses steroids and other traditional PED's because nothing works better than testosterone, but the point is he is searching for better options....safer options. I am a huge proponent of more research into steroids, HGH, SARM's etc. to improve peoples lives. Currently in the US, it seems like most of it is lumped into one group and neglected as products guys use to get big muscles....but I believe there are uses for these products for those with diseases and elderly that could be life changing if more research was encouraged.

Check it out if any of that interests you. The thing that blew my mind was he was working with this young guy from Orlando that was going to compete in the Amateur Mr. Olympia. It shows the young guy 19 weeks before the competition, and he does not even have a nice beach body. I honestly thought it was a joke. Then he shows up on stage and looks like an amateur bodybuilder!

That was impressive, but nothing like what took place next. It was clear from the opening round of posing that this young guy had no chance at winning, and basically nobody places in a show like that their first, second or even third try....so no big deal, the guy looked good. There was about 3 hours before the 2nd/final round, and he goes to a house outside Vegas with "Dr." Tony and take over a dozen products to improve his look for the 2nd round. It is not unusual for a guy to look a little better in the 2nd round because of enhancement products, but this young guy came back on stage 3 hours later looking about 20 lbs. bigger, more ripped, extremely vascular with jagged veins everywhere. I have never seen that type of transformation in so little time. It truly was close to magic. I am sure it was not the safest approach, but the results were impressive....and if i did not see it, I would have thought impossible.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Sowell is a great example of a brilliant mind using his skills to sell out to a base pandering conclusion that demeans him.

Right, he is a sell out because he does not believe and say the things that people with your views thinks he should be expected to espouse. You know better what and why Sowell holds his views. Do you guys ever examine what you are saying?

Sowell panders to no person or base, because Sowell has never sought the brightest spotlight or the largest financial reward for his views. Sowell defines the path and perspective for others to follow. He has been consistent in his principles for decades. The biggest issue I have had with Sowell was he never sought to present his views to larger and less informed audiences because he is brilliant and gifted in presenting information.....but Sowell has stated he does not believe that is his obligation. He has always felt that those that sought his views would seek them out, and those that made the effort to seek them out would be more likely to evaluate them with an open mind. Sowell has hammered every national conservative politician at some point because they did not align with their professed principles. As I said, I get those that do not agree with him, but claiming he panders is simply defamation of an extremely principled man.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject:

No, as you said earlier, you think he’s brilliant because you agree with him. His “principles” include saying Trump is a far better man than his predecessor and saying Biden winning would be the end of the US. That’s his stock in trade, the black apologist for white racist conservatism.

He’s the Clarence Thomas of economists, a black man willing to pander to white racist capitalists so he can be white adjacent. Maybe he’s convinced himself it’s true. Maybe he’s just so self loathing he needs it to be. But his principles and proclamations are easily debunked dreck, but white conservatives do love them a black man who tells them they aren’t racist.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Looking forward to the new HBO Tiger Woods documentary that is starting on January 10th.

Here is the trailer for it:

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject:

^Same. HBO is probably the best when it comes to documentaries. Tiger looks great.
Ali's series What's my name was great.
The Mystery of DB Cooper was good.
Baby God looks like a tough watch. But interesting at the same time.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

I will be interested to see how HBO tackles the more complex and controversial aspects of Tiger the man.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

That's one I'd watch this minute if it were on. Gotta find if that's on my On Demand feature. I assume they touch on that guy from Florida who claimed to be Coop on his deathbed. Imo, he might've been telling the truth otherwise the real guy actually did die and they'll probably never find anyone else as close to being Coop.

Here's a piece of the money found in 1980 by a boy digging in the sand.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That's one I'd watch this minute if it were on. Gotta find if that's on my On Demand feature. I assume they touch on that guy from Florida who claimed to be Coop on his deathbed. Imo, he might've been telling the truth otherwise the real guy actually did die and they'll probably never find anyone else as close to being Coop.

The interesting thing about the location and depth in the sand the money was found was that it couldn’t have floated there from upstream or at the time of the robbery. And the old dude in Florida took his woman right to that area.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The interesting thing about the location and depth in the sand the money was found was that it couldn’t have floated there from upstream or at the time of the robbery. And the old dude in Florida took his woman right to that area.

Interesting. I only know about this story in a vague, general sense, and I prefer not to spoil my ignorance before watching this docu, but one thing I've always wondered is whether the Secret Service, then the counterfeit arm of law enforcement*, ever found a single Cooper bill in circulation. (*Although a hotshot like Richard Chance from "To Live And Die In L.A." probably wouldn't have lasted very long in the Service).

I've also seen a bunch of other pieces and fragments of money authenticated by PCGS and sold circa early 2Ks and even the largest ones weren't that much bigger than the one this guy had. The highest priced ones had entire legible serials and Jackson's puss was clear and whole. They also sold little tiny bits of bills in those holders at a less than $100 price point. If that kid Brian Ingram hadn't found what he did in 1980, those fragments would've returned to nature in their entirety long ago. And getting a pre-1996 bill in circulation now is as rare as getting a $2 bill or a Susan B. Anthony in change. If any Coop money had ever circulated, it's assuredly no longer in the flow today.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject:

There's one on Netflix next week called "Crack". It's about the crack epidemic in 80s big cities/hoods. Looks good, preview showed a lot of actual footage from the time, which usually makes such a doc more riveting than just people talking about the issue.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:

There’s no evidence any of the money besides what was found by the kid has ever seen the light of day. Ironically, the kid sold off some of his share of the find and got almost 40k for it, so he probably ended up profiting more from the whole affair than the hijacker did.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Spoiler, they hated it.

Watching a couple of their videos from SNF songs. Like disco or hate it, but the Bee Gees were already a band with actual talent who dove into the genre. Like it or hate it, the BG's did disco to a bleepin T. They were on point. They made GOOD disco songs that even rock fans could secretly enjoy/like. They were more than just an equivalent of ABBA, who were themselves a titan back then.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Listening to a Belushi’s wife sing over the closing credits of his documentary is heartbreaking. Hard to believe he’s been gone longer than he was alive.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10
Jump to: