The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject:

It’s a Warner Bros/DC property, the rival of Disney/Marvel. It won’t be on Disney+ but the new Pixar movie Soul will be released tomorrow too. It looks just as good, or even better, as any Pixar release.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject:

All the Nicolas Cage talk reminds me of the Community episode where Abed tried to determine if Nic was a genius or not.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Tighe in Matewan

That's it. That's the post.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Quote:
Scott Tobias
@scott_tobias
Is it called WONDER WOMAN 1984 because that’s where the effects came from?

https://twitter.com/scott_tobias/status/1342306389385998343
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Are there any Godfather afficianados/analysts here? I have a question about a specific scene in Godfather 2 (spoiler alert, I guess, for the remainder of this)

in Cuba, at roof birthday party for Hyman Roth with other guests, Michael comments that rebels can win after from a car, he saw a rebel explode a suicide grenade bomb on street to take out a soldier. Roth takes Michael aside to complain about Michael saying that in a non-private manner, and then about how Michael's $12 million didn't come as expected. The very next scene is inside an apartment with Hyman Roth shirtless on a couch with Michael pacing with what looks like the anxiousness.

That pacing is what I'm asking about. Why is Michael so nervous, or acting like he's so nervous? It's gotta be a conscious Coppola/writing decision to have him act so atypically in front of Roth. Is he trying to convey anxiousness to Roth but he's acting and faking, or is he so comfortable with Roth that he's willing to let his guard down and show nervousness? Michael always plans beforehand and thinks things through so it seemed quite interesting to me.

Or it's possible Coppola was cavalier about it, I don't know. Not that much of a film buff. But I did love 2/3 of the Godfather movies over the years of repeats.

I'll listen to Coppola's director's commentary some time this weekend and see if he says anything that might address your question.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Quote:
Scott Tobias
@scott_tobias

Another bummer, so boring
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Quote:
Scott Tobias
@scott_tobias

And bloated. Runtime of 2 1/2 hours.

But maybe we aren't the target audience for the film.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Quote:
Scott Tobias
@scott_tobias

And bloated. Runtime of 2 1/2 hours.

But maybe we aren't the target audience for the film.

I've got WW84 qued. My IPTV is trying to find a stable, reliable link. I have Soul loaded. Gonna watch it sometime today.

EDIT:
Watched Soul. It's a animation that IMO is to deep for kids. It ended with no ending. WW84 didn't live up to the hype. Kids may like it for the action scenes.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject:

As someone who really enjoys comic book movies, I can say WW84 was quite the disappointment. It seemed like they wanted to infuse some marvel-y humor but the jokes were all bad 90’s movie jokes. The biggest issue I had was that the visual effects looked like I was watching the CW at times, it was REALLY poorly done. Pedro and Chris were great but they really got the most out of some really bad writing. And GG can’t carry a movie, especially one this bad. What a bummer.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I love atomic blonde.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I love atomic blonde.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Are there any Godfather afficianados/analysts here? I have a question about a specific scene in Godfather 2 (spoiler alert, I guess, for the remainder of this)

in Cuba, at roof birthday party for Hyman Roth with other guests, Michael comments that rebels can win after from a car, he saw a rebel explode a suicide grenade bomb on street to take out a soldier. Roth takes Michael aside to complain about Michael saying that in a non-private manner, and then about how Michael's $12 million didn't come as expected. The very next scene is inside an apartment with Hyman Roth shirtless on a couch with Michael pacing with what looks like the anxiousness.

That pacing is what I'm asking about. Why is Michael so nervous, or acting like he's so nervous? It's gotta be a conscious Coppola/writing decision to have him act so atypically in front of Roth. Is he trying to convey anxiousness to Roth but he's acting and faking, or is he so comfortable with Roth that he's willing to let his guard down and show nervousness? Michael always plans beforehand and thinks things through so it seemed quite interesting to me.

Or it's possible Coppola was cavalier about it, I don't know. Not that much of a film buff. But I did love 2/3 of the Godfather movies over the years of repeats.

I'll listen to Coppola's director's commentary some time this weekend and see if he says anything that might address your question.

Thanks, that'd be great.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Some favorite moments from new-to-me December watches:

Prince of the City (Lumet, 1981): A teenage Cynthia Nixon has a brief cameo as a heroin addicted teen whose boyfriend beats her for snorting up his hit behind his back while narcotics cop Treat Williams looks on. That's in the first 20 minutes of an under-seen, underrated near-masterpiece from new Hollywood studio giant Sydney Lumet.

The Smiling Lieutenant (Lubitsch, 1931): Claudette Colbert giving Miriam Hopkins lingerie pointers to get her former lover Maurice Chevalier hornt up enough to consummate their marriage is lusty to the bone. Jazz up your lingerie:

"Girls who stay for breakfast don't usually stick around for supper."

Remember the Night (Leisen, 1940): So many memorable moments, but the late night heart to heart between Fred MacMurray's mother portrayed by Beulah Bondi and Barbara Stanwyck is timeless. And Elizabeth Patterson as a spinster aunt bringing out her finest dress for Stanwyck to wear, reminded of the man she once wore it for is almost as lovely as are so many other touching moments in a wonderful film.

Working Girl (Nichols, 1988): One of those movies I assumed I had seen but I only actually saw bits and pieces of on basic cable over the years, what an absolute treat with excellent performances throughout - it skyrocketed to the top of my favorite 80s romcoms. Kevin Spacey as a sex pest, Harrison Ford double fisting fruity cocktails at a wedding he and Melanie Griffith have crashed, Sigourney Weaver fainting to gain a seat at the boy's table, that ending shot, and on and on. But the office secretaries saying goodbye to Melanie after being fired turned me into a puddle.

Matewan (Sayles, 1987): Haskell Wexler rightfully received an Oscar nomination for his rich, earthen palette cinematography in capturing West Virginia hill country, and the scene of Bob Gunton as real life murderous, duplicitous coward C.E. Lively fleeing the union men he's sold out to the coal company by swimming across river in the early morning hours is one of the most gorgeous looking in a great film. Gunton putting his glasses between his teeth before wading into deeper waters is one of those movie details that will always stick with me.

Broadcast News (Brooks, 1987): Out of this list this is the one movie I appreciate more than love, but Holly Hunter is amazing throughout and the ear piece foreplay scene between her producer character and pretty boy anchor William Hurt is an all-timer. There truly are fewer things hotter than a man doing what a smart woman tells him to do.

The Long Good Friday (Mackenzie, 1980): Bob Hoskins is as ferocious as advertised, a Cockney James Cagney who is terrifying, hilarious, sympathetic, and quotable as hell throughout. The look on his face seeing his beloved Lion & Unicorn pub blown to smithereens is *chef's kiss*

Helen Mirren as his right-side-of-the-tracks moll is as good in her brief screentime, and the first scene between Mirren and Hoskins plotting and kibitzing is a masterclass in efficiently establishing character and carving out a lived-in relationship on screen.

Shanghai Express (von Sternberg, 1932): Marlene Dietrich's hands in prayer? The train leaving the station? Easy and wonderful choices. JvS does his usual work of making exceptionally gorgeous images with Dietrich as his muse, but I particularly loved a seated Marlene swaddled in fur pulling prissy Clive Brook down to her level for a kiss.

The Scarlet Empress (von Sternberg, 1934): Every detail in this bawdy historical farce/horny fever dream/greatest movie ever made is magnificent. Never has blowing out a candle been so...wet.

Charley Varrick (Siegel, 1973): Joe Don Baker in a car chasing Walter Matthau around in a prop plane to retrieve stolen mob money? Yessir! Something this unsparingly bleak shouldn't be this fun, but watching Varrick's masterful set up unfold is a delight. Shout out to Benson Wong as Honest John and John Vernon's character's admiration of cows.

Night Moves (Penn, 1975): Nude Gene Hackman making post coitus fondue in bed.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I love atomic blonde.

+1Charlize Theron is one beautiful tall drink of water.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
I love atomic blonde.

+1Charlize Theron is a beautiful tall drink of water.

I was hoping there would be a sequel. It was such a fun movie. If you want another 80’s Berlin spy movie, The Man from UNCLE is another really fun one from Guy Ritchie. Am hoping for a sequel to that one too
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
I love atomic blonde.

I was hoping there would be a sequel. It was such a fun movie. If you want another 80’s Berlin spy movie, The Man from UNCLE is another really fun one from Guy Ritchie. Am hoping for a sequel to that one too

Robert Vaughn IS The Man From Uncle.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

Six Movies to Stream While Staying Home on New Year's Eve: WBUR.org
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
I love atomic blonde.

I've come to think that The Man From UNCLE is quite underrated, and it's grown on me more with each viewing. I like it better than any Bond movie made this century. I also recently watched Funeral in Berlin, made around 1965 and starring Michael Caine (been in a Cold War kick myself lately). Another slick, yet grounded Cold War era film (it was shot in location in Berlin). Really enjoyed it it. Caine certainly had that cool/sophisticated/detached demeanor that should've merited a 007 nod at some point. Still think that was a missed opportunity. The Ipcress File (prequel to Funeral) is also worth a watch, even though it's significantly more contained, dealing mostly with interdepartmental conflict/corruption.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
I love atomic blonde.

I've come to think that The Man From UNCLE is quite underrated, and it's grown on me more with each viewing. I like it better than any Bond movie made this century. I also recently watched Funeral in Berlin, made around 1965 and starring Michael Caine (been in a Cold War kick myself lately). Another slick, yet grounded Cold War era film (it was shot in location in Berlin). Really enjoyed it it. Caine certainly had that cool/sophisticated/detached demeanor that should've merited a 007 nod at some point. Still think that was a missed opportunity. The Ipcress File (prequel to Funeral) is also worth a watch, even though it's significantly more contained, dealing mostly with interdepartmental conflict/corruption.

I will pretend i didnt read your bond comment but in regards to Funeral what streaming service did you watch in on? Love the genre.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I will pretend i didnt read your bond comment but in regards to Funeral what streaming service did you watch in on? Love the genre.

I didn’t stream it but I just checked and you can rent it on Amazon prime.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

The Hobbit movies are bloated and draggy, but aren't they better than the Star Wars prequels?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject:

The Hobbit movies are bloated and draggy, but aren't they better than the Star Wars prequels?

That's an incredibly low bar.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Quote:
Scott Tobias
@scott_tobias

loslakersss wrote:
As someone who really enjoys comic book movies, I can say WW84 was quite the disappointment. It seemed like they wanted to infuse some marvel-y humor but the jokes were all bad 90’s movie jokes. The biggest issue I had was that the visual effects looked like I was watching the CW at times, it was REALLY poorly done. Pedro and Chris were great but they really got the most out of some really bad writing. And GG can’t carry a movie, especially one this bad. What a bummer.

I just saw this movie expecting it to be a lot worse after all the bad reviews. I actually enjoyed it. I thought the opening scene was exciting (despite a review I watched saying it was boring and dragged on), and the last hour was fun to watch. The mall scene was too cheesy and the hour or so after that had too much uninteresting dialogue so it seemed like the movie wasn’t going anywhere for a while, but it picked up later on. I think some parts before the last hour of the film could have been shortened.

I’m a little surprised by all the anger I’m seeing online directed at this movie. It did have a bunch of men trying to hit on female characters, looking lame while doing it and failing. I suspect that pissed off a lot of guys, but personally I thought to myself that stuff does happen a lot and wasn’t offended by it.

Some conservatives might hate this movie because of the metoo stuff, the part with everyone freaking out over guns and Wonder Woman saying she hates guns (regardless of what you think about guns I found this part way too cheesy), and the villain reminding some people of Trump (personally I was surprised how sympathetic of a character he was and I didn’t get a Trump vibe out of him at all).

Having Steve take over another body made no sense to me and has led to more criticism of the film. No matter how you bring him back it’s going to look way too convenient. I’d rather have him appear out of thin air.

It did look like a movie that families could watch fwiw.

I thought the first film did a great job of poking fun of itself at times, but in a way that didn’t disrespect the movie. It was obvious they tried making the mall scene look really cartoonish, and they accomplished that, but it just made me cringe and disappointed me because I wanted to see an exciting scene and turning it into a cartoon doesn’t do that in my opinion. I wish it had the tone of the scene before it, or the tone we saw in the trailers, or was removed completely.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
I love atomic blonde.

There is a sequel coming to Netflix apparently
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

That's an incredibly low bar.

True, but Smaug alone clears it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 90 of 189
Jump to: