The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Seriously. What happened to Nicholas cage?

Last I heard he moved to the Mojave Desert, Vegas.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

link
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

So, Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson remade Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (itself a remake but a beauty), and wow, I think I’d rather watch Chris Farley and Seth Rogan play mimes while David Spade and Scott Caan perform Shakespeare in the background. Well, anything that shuts Seth Rogan up gets an automatic star and a half, but you get what I mean.

Last edited by Omar Little on Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Halflife wrote:

link

I meant his talent
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Halflife wrote:

link

I meant his talent

He sold it for cash money.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Halflife wrote:

link

I meant his talent

Bruce Willis shows up to some far flung Romanian film set, gives a lifeless performance over two days of shooting on some lazy dudebro revenge flick, and goes home with millions in his bank account.

Nic Cage rarely mails in a performance, he still does interesting work with interesting directors inbetween the straight to Netflix payday schlock, and... he's always been a borderline unhinged performer since he was young. What's going on with him in Moonstruck? Have you seen Vampire's Kiss? I think he gives a more restrained performance in Dog Eat Dog than he does in Snake Eyes. Face/Off??

If he wasn't a severely-in-debt spendaholic, he could cut back on the volume of garbage flicks, continue to act the way he's always acted, and probably be much more respected simply because he'd seem to be less cheap even though he's an expensive date for these schlock movies.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
So, Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson remade Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (itself a remake but a beauty), and wow, I think I’d rather watch Chris Farley and Seth Rogan play mimes while David Spade and Scott Caan perform Shakespeare in the background. Well, anything that shuts Seth Rogan up gets an automatic star and a half, but you get what I mean.

As a fan of Anne Hathaway, she generally has terrible taste in the projects she chooses. Anyway, I'm going to go rewatch Rachel Getting Married and cry.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Halflife wrote:

link

I meant his talent

Bruce Willis shows up to some far flung Romanian film set, gives a lifeless performance over two days of shooting on some lazy dudebro revenge flick, and goes home with millions in his bank account.

Nic Cage rarely mails in a performance, he still does interesting work with interesting directors inbetween the straight to Netflix payday schlock, and... he's always been a borderline unhinged performer since he was young. What's going on with him in Moonstruck? Have you seen Vampire's Kiss? I think he gives a more restrained performance in Dog Eat Dog than he does in Snake Eyes. Face/Off??

If he wasn't a severely-in-debt spendaholic, he could cut back on the volume of garbage flicks, continue to act the way he's always acted, and probably be much more respected simply because he'd seem to be less cheap even though he's an expensive date for these schlock movies.

Cage, even before his money troubles, was an exceedingly singular and strange actor. He’s been making weird ass choices since the beginning and he’s far more interested in giving a Capital P Performance than a method one. The Method has been fetishized and I like those performances too but I also like the ones for which Cage’s eccentricities slot in perfectly.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Halflife wrote:

link

I meant his talent

Cage, even before his money troubles, was an exceedingly singular and strange actor. He’s been making weird ass choices since the beginning and he’s far more interested in giving a Capital P Performance than a method one. The Method has been fetishized and I like those performances too but I also like the ones for which Cage’s eccentricities slot in perfectly.

Cage has a lot more range than people give him credit for, and along with his menagerie of over the top performances, there’s some nuance in there as well.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Halflife wrote:

link

I meant his talent

Cage has a lot more range than people give him credit for, and along with his menagerie of over the top performances, there’s some nuance in there as well.

He’s a really interesting performer. He’s had some straight to DVD trash and pokes at his own persona but it’s rare he’s making the wrong choice for the thing that he’s in. I think people often assume he isn’t in on the joke.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject:

Not sure what I watch last night, a new-ish Bill Murray zombie movie with Kylo Ren, Danny Glover, Tilda Swinton and Selena Gomez... big names and it suuuuucks. Kept waiting to figure out the 'meat' of the movie and boom, end credits
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Not sure what I watch last night, a new-ish Bill Murray zombie movie with Kylo Ren, Danny Glover, Tilda Swinton and Selena Gomez... big names and it suuuuucks. Kept waiting to figure out the 'meat' of the movie and boom, end credits

The Dead Don't Die

He was in another zombie stinker with big names, Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Rosario Dawson, to name a few, ZOMBIELAND. I think there's a ZOMBIELAND II

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

The Dead Don't Die

He was in another zombie stinker with big names, Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Rosario Dawson, to name a few, ZOMBIELAND. I think there's a ZOMBIELAND II

Zombie land was actually kind of fun.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

The Dead Don't Die

Zombie land was actually kind of fun.

OK. You liked it. I thought it was whack. Is there a ZOMBIELAND II?

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

A lot of people hated that one. *shrugs*

I'm not in a rush to rewatch it, but it sure seems like it captured America's arrogant, lazy indifference to catastrophe a year before the pandemic hit.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I'm not in a rush to rewatch it, but it sure seems like it captured America's arrogant, lazy indifference to catastrophe a year before the pandemic hit.

It wasn't terrible, but it's definitely no Stranger Than Paradise or Dead Man, or even his prior narrative Paterson which I actually liked quite a bit. But, I expect that Jarmusch still has some great films to give us in the future. I'm certainly not giving up on him yet.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
governator wrote:

It wasn't terrible, but it's definitely no Stranger Than Paradise or Dead Man, or even his prior narrative Paterson which I actually liked quite a bit. But, I expect that Jarmusch still has some great films to give us in the future. I'm certainly not giving up on him yet.

I kinda liked it. Drama comedy. Everybody went down. Zombies eating flesh was a bit to gory for me.

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

Finally saw that will Smith Martin Lawrence flick that came out earlier this year. Truly a study in the versatility of the phrase 'oh sh&$' it was used in every situation possible. I do mean every situation. More than once if it was possible.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I was browsing the Television: New Shows thread. There was mention of the series "Flight Attendant." The term flight made me think of the movie "FLIGHT" starring Denzel Washington. About an alcoholic pilot. If you haven't seen it I won't spoil it. The ending is soberly fitting.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Are there any Godfather afficianados/analysts here? I have a question about a specific scene in Godfather 2 (spoiler alert, I guess, for the remainder of this)

in Cuba, at roof birthday party for Hyman Roth with other guests, Michael comments that rebels can win after from a car, he saw a rebel explode a suicide grenade bomb on street to take out a soldier. Roth takes Michael aside to complain about Michael saying that in a non-private manner, and then about how Michael's $12 million didn't come as expected. The very next scene is inside an apartment with Hyman Roth shirtless on a couch with Michael pacing with what looks like the anxiousness.

That pacing is what I'm asking about. Why is Michael so nervous, or acting like he's so nervous? It's gotta be a conscious Coppola/writing decision to have him act so atypically in front of Roth. Is he trying to convey anxiousness to Roth but he's acting and faking, or is he so comfortable with Roth that he's willing to let his guard down and show nervousness? Michael always plans beforehand and thinks things through so it seemed quite interesting to me.

Or it's possible Coppola was cavalier about it, I don't know. Not that much of a film buff. But I did love 2/3 of the Godfather movies over the years of repeats.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject:

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is an acidic dark comedy that deftly balances its anger and humor. It falls just short of carrying its thesis to its full conclusion but I really enjoyed it.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Ww84 tomorrow.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Will it be on Disney?

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Will it be on Disney?

HBO Max
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Ww84 tomorrow.

Will it be on Disney?

HBO Max

I think it will also be on Disney+

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 89 of 189
Jump to: