Should Lakers resign Demarcus Cousins now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject:

You guys are acting like McGee being able to guard perimeter players in pick action is no big deal.. It's a very big deal in todays game. It's one of the reasons why our defense was so good. In addition to him doing a good job of manning the paint.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
If Cousins is 50% of what he was, he is >>>>>>>>>>>JM. I still want JM (I think he is worth his small contract). This gives us plenty of time to figure out where Cousins is and if we can rely on him down the road. His health would obviously allow us to make some moves (if needed) when the time comes.

The root of the problem is Cousins is not that much greater then McGee as you are stating. They both have positives and negatives.

I am seeing too many posters getting all starry eyed about the adding Cousins (and others) for his offensive possibilities (if he can regain them) but completely ignoring the defensive end.

McGee played his role perfectly all season long, don't get sidetracked by the playoff matchups. He ran the floor, rotated and effected shots, was a threat for lobs and rebound put backs. His activity and athleticism made a difference. Can or will Cousins fit any of those qualities? Doubtful even at his best.

Cousins "may" still have some shooting and playmaking abilities. But if his best attributes are he will likely sign cheap (still TBD) and is Davis' BFF.... what is that really saying about his game?

I can be force fed that he is a great option as the end of the bench towel waver to keep Davis happy. But expecting him to be a solid back up or even starter as some continue to suggest is a joke.

Hence the reason why I stated that we should keep JM. I get that you do not like Cousins. There are some current players on the roster now that I had/have a dislike for. You harp on his best attributes being his inexpensive contract and being AD's best friend. Is that a bad thing? AD is the Lakers right now, and I want him to be happy. If the FO decides to sign him, I have faith in their belief that he would have value. Cousins would count for $1,620,564 against the cap (last years CBA). That is half of the cap hit for Cook. IF nothing else, that is money well spent. Saying Cousins would be a solid back up or a starter is a joke just like saying he is nothing is a joke. Nobody knows what his health status is or where it will be. That being said, if he is signed (I have faith in the FO), I see ZERO downside. If he gets somewhat healthy (no rush), great. If not, he rides it out and we duplicate what we did this past year (release him to open up a roster spot). If he does get back to half of what he was, he will represent next years plum FA signing (a la DH).

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nba-news-los-angeles-lakers-anthony-davis-made-a-surprise-facetime-from-inside-the-lockeroom-after-championship-win/
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject:

When you will play a lot of games in a short period of time then the bench matters. When the bench matters, signing someone because they are someone else’s best friend is a poor move.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject:

IF they sign him, there will be reasons why. I have complete trust in Rob and co. Go LAKERS! Fucckk the Clippers!
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
When you will play a lot of games in a short period of time then the bench matters. When the bench matters, signing someone because they are someone else’s best friend is a poor move.

We are deep bruh. In this playoff we have 9 guys who played at least 15 minutes per game and with Bradley it would have been 10. Signing someone like Boogie with that upside means we got deeper if it pans out. Among guys who did not see minutes were Waiters who averaged 12 ppg in the bubble and McGee who was our starting Center for the most part. So in essence , even without Bogie we are 12 man deep and along with THT who will have a good chance in cracking our rotation, we have 13 players who could contribute. Now of course we gonna lose some players but we might be able to get MLE and BAE. So we are still deep enough to have the luxury to assess if Boogie can contribute .
4evARaBruinLG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

I can see this happening if Javale opts in and Dwight gets offered too much for us to match.

Additionally, we have to see if Ibaka, Thompson, or other FAs are viable or price themselves out of our budget.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject:

we can sign him last
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather we sign Cousins than Ibaka because a happy AD is good for the team.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Boogie looks to be in terrific shape

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/01/new-rockets-center-demarcus-cousins-reportedly-looks-terrific/

Quote:
“What I’ve heard is he looks terrific in his physicals and did a great job in his rehab. Physically, he’s good to go. “He looks thin. He’s obviously been working hard. He looks terrific.”

Prior to signing a non-guaranteed contract for one season with the Rockets, Cousins reportedly worked out for the team early last week. According to Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports, that workout in Houston “impressed the organization, quelling any health concerns.”

“He’s as hungry as ever,” Haynes tweeted of Cousins.

Wasn't Boogie rehabbing on Laker's dime even after he was cut? Did the Lakers work him out this off season like Houston did?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure he looks awesome in an empty gym or in a controlled practice.

Issue has always been when he needs to chase around players in a full court game, battle for position and start changing directions on defense. Then we will see how "in shape" he is.

Will be an interesting race changing ends between Cousins and Gasol.
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject:

He looked great last year too, then...
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Happy with Marc and really wanted Boogie to be the backup C on a make good vet min deal but when Trez fell out of the sky into our laps the Boogie dream was DOA.

Maybe next year for Boogie if one of our bigs walk. At least his bud AD will be here the next 4-5 season to recruit him.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I hope Boogie is able to play and have a decent remaining career.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait for you all to see how ineffective he is when he returns so we can move on from this.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Can't wait for you all to see how ineffective he is when he returns so we can move on from this.

This was LG when talking about Brandon Ingram. 😝
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

This was LG when talking about Brandon Ingram. 😝

Actually no.. not at all. Entirely different set of circumstances.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Wasn’t Boogie supposed to be out for a while? He played tonight and scored 14 points in 14 mins on 75% shooting

https://twitter.com/houstonrockets/status/1337603488856072198?s=21
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:

Horrible take
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Horrible take

Whatever..
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Did you guys look up the stats or watch him play? He looked like he was 45 years old and his legs looked like they were barely holding his body up anymore

I think with some time and health he’ll move better but tbh he looked brutally bad running up and down the court. It was sad to watch the highlights tbh. Guy has lost all of it from injuries. But he shot the ball well as a spot up shooter lol
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject:

LastStand 2.0 wrote:
Did you guys look up the stats or watch him play? He looked like he was 45 years old and his legs looked like they were barely holding his body up anymore

I think with some time and health he’ll move better but tbh he looked brutally bad running up and down the court. It was sad to watch the highlights tbh. Guy has lost all of it from injuries. But he shot the ball well as a spot up shooter lol

This..

Not to mention he can't play defense..
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Horrible take

Whatever..

Public forum.. So whatever
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Horrible take

Whatever..

That's all I got for you..

Whatever..

Didn't Omar tell you to avoid interacting with me?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Horrible take

Whatever..

That's all I got for you..

Whatever..

Horrible take is all I got for you..

Whatever
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject:

LastStand 2.0 wrote:

https://twitter.com/markbermanfox26/status/1337568820291137545?s=21

45 years old can run like that?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14
Jump to: