The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

Watched BIG GAME last night. A Samuel L. Jackson film. It wasn't a SLJ kind of role. It was a good movie. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it 7. TRAILER

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Sound of Metal is a very strong debut feature from first time director Darius Marder. It is now streaming on Amazon Prime. There should be an Oscar nomination pending for Riz Ahmed.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Good Boys is arguably a better version of Superbad. And it's the funniest movie I've seen in years.

If you want to watch it and can't, let me know. I'll send you a link.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Good Boys is arguably a better version of Superbad. And it's the funniest movie I've seen in years.

If you want to watch it and can't, let me know. I'll send you a link.

Hook a brotha up. I've got a soft spot for those sort of movies.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Let’s please not advertise our ability and willingness to help people steal content. Aside from the moral considerations, it is also the policy of the board not to facilitate illegal transactions.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Only $15 on youtube. Go out and buy it everyone!
Good Boys. Hilarious.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzu2yr0m5tU

Only $15 on youtube. Go out and buy it everyone!
Good Boys. Hilarious.

Free on Eminence, my streaming service. I'll check it out tomorrow.

I just finished season 3 Fargo. It had a messed up finale. Left to much to the imagination. People who should have lived happily ever after died. The Satan of the season's fate was left up in the air.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject:

I finished Schitt’s Creek and it was so much better than expected (admittedly I skipped to season 3 and am circling back to the first 2 now). If you want a 25 minute show that’ll make you laugh and occasionally cry then I recommend checking it out. It does have a rocky start imo so either power through for a bit or skip ahead lol.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I finished Schitt’s Creek and it was so much better than expected (admittedly I skipped to season 3 and am circling back to the first 2 now). If you want a 25 minute show that’ll make you laugh and occasionally cry then I recommend checking it out. It does have a rocky start imo so either power through for a bit or skip ahead lol.

So you're the kind who reads the end of a book then go to the beginning to find out why it came out that way?

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

So you're the kind who reads the end of a book then go to the beginning to find out why it came out that way?

Typically no. I’ll read a book from beginning to end and usually power through books that aren’t as good as I expected/hoped. With this show I tried to start from the beginning but just couldn’t get into it since it’s hard to get invested in the characters right away. So I decided to jump ahead and see if there was an improvement and all the rave reviews were right. It was a good choice. And now that I know the characters I could go back to the weaker seasons and I actually enjoy it because you can see how far they’ve come.

Also I realized I posted this in the film thread, not the tv thread. Sorry everyone lol. The Fargo mention got me confused
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
Sound of Metal is a very strong debut feature from first time director Darius Marder. It is now streaming on Amazon Prime. There should be an Oscar nomination pending for Riz Ahmed.

I really enjoyed this one. Special hat tip to the sound design, which is unique and immersive at every stage of Ruben’s story. There’s a lot of technical skill into making that work.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
golden armor wrote:

I really enjoyed this one. Special hat tip to the sound design, which is unique and immersive at every stage of Ruben’s story. There’s a lot of technical skill into making that work.

It was a good movie. It gave insight into how the hearing impaired deal with the world.

After listening to how Cochlear Implant sound, if they really sound that way, I get what Joe meant by enjoying the silence.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

The erect penis/gouged eye version can be rented at iTunes

Talk about must-have.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Mank is on Netflix. It's a black and white movie about 1930s Hollywood with renown actor Gary Oldman and filmmaker/showrunner David Fincher.

Wouldn't be surprised if a film buff like BVH likes or at least appreciates it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Talk about must-have.

I'm gonna watch that today. I'm not into horror films but BVH has piqued my interest. My streaming service has the uncut version.

EDIT;

Watched the movie today. It was light in horror, heavy in bloodshed, a few explicit sex scenes. Slow moving unresolved ending. I'm not a fan of the dark screen format.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Spielberg challenge: make another action movie that's as pulpy fun and clearly lit as Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I'm rewatching for Connery's iconic first Connery-as-Connery supporting star turn (The Untouchables jumpstarts his late career resurgence, but I think Last Crusade cements him as film icon unto himself) and thinking back to Connery as Mark Rutland in Marnie, one of Connery's great performances. It's (perversely) fascinating to look back on Connery as a wife beater and Hitchcock who sexually harassed Tippi Hedren in-between filming The Birds and Marnie and then tarnished her movie career when she wouldn't (bleep) him in sync with Hedren's performance as she devolves from criminal femme fatale to victim to object of conquest and redemption. It's horrific to note, but she is the entelechy of sexual assault survivor on celluloid in Marnie. What an all-timers iconic performance in a truly ugly piece of film art.

Has Spielberg ever made a movie centered on a female protagonist as interesting as Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore let alone Marnie? Maybe The Color Purple?

Wouldn't call them interesting characters per se, but Poltergeist 1 is a womany movie at its core. And having seen the brilliant original Texas Chain Saw Massacre, it's hard to believe that Tobe Hooper directed that instead of Steven. It had a very Spielbergian feel to it. Jo Beth and Zelda and the other paranormalist woman and the young girl. The crux of the story surrounds them. Nothing ever really surrounds Craig T. Nelson, cmon. He was in Silkwood, which is a Streep/Cher dominated flick balanced by a hunky Kurt Russell, but that's Mike Nichols. Anyone who's ever worked in an institution will have flashbacks of all the BS they encountered at theirs when they watch that. Really portrayed the personality squabbles in a facility like that or in any other industry.

Sorry for the very late reply, npz. I don't know who to give Poltergeist credit to since Hooper was a very idiosyncratic director who chafed against studio structure, but TCSM is all him.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

In a normal year I would've already watched the film on a big screen, but I'm not super compelled to see anything from 2020 released after mid-March, so I do appreciate your review and it's a movie I will watch in early 2021 before awards season.

I'm not offering my own critique given that I haven't yet seen the movie, but one pointed critique I've seen floating around social media is of a character whose credit card is declined at a gas station. And the main critique isn't of the book, but of the wealthy Hollywood creators who aren't aware that when one is poor, one pays cash to the cent for gas and isn't reliant on a credit card in that situation.

I don't know if that critique rings true to you or not. But I thought I'd present it.

If I recall, it was Vance himself that was the only one shuffling credit cards throughout the movie (in the present as it bounces back and forth between him as an adult and him as a child)....offering another card when one was declined. At this point in the timeline, Vance is an adult @ Yale Law School after spending 4 years in the military, and undergrad years @ Ohio State. He clearly is still struggling for money or college poor, but as I recall from college during that time period, it was very easy to accumulate a ton of credit cards on a college campus.

When you get around to watching, let me know your thoughts. I think you will enjoy the level of production and acting, but I assume it will not have the personal connection for you unless you are familiar with the region. I got choked up several times because it was real, and I know there is so much beauty and so much ugly in regards to growing up in that region. Although I doubt I ever return to reside full time, I can feel those mountains calling me on a daily basis.

Thank you for the context and given that Vance and I are around the same age, I do remember all the high APR credit cards vendors would hawk around my university's campus.

My only connection is through an old girlfriend who grew up in Eastern KY whose family I visited several times, though they were both college educated middle class professionals. It's beautiful country, and I'll go into it with more an open heart and mind after being inundated with mixed reviews on social media.

If you have a chance, maybe give Dark Waters from 2019 a try. It's a 70s-style legal procedural based on the real life case about Dupont dumping chemicals in the water supply of a small WV town via the Ohio River. Attorney Rob Bilott who continues to argue civil suits for plaintiffs affected by the chemical runoff is another attorney from that part of the country who finds his way back home.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
golden armor wrote:

You're on the sound or visual side?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Talk about must-have.

I'm gonna watch that today. I'm not into horror films but BVH has piqued my interest. My streaming service has the uncut version.

EDIT;

Watched the movie today. It was light in horror, heavy in bloodshed, a few explicit sex scenes. Slow moving unresolved ending. I'm not a fan of the dark screen format.

I'm glad you gave it a try. It's atmospheric and violent rather than a Paranormal series style scary movie.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Mank is on Netflix. It's a black and white movie about 1930s Hollywood with renown actor Gary Oldman and filmmaker/showrunner David Fincher.

Another one I'll probably catch up on next month before awards season (zoom awards season, anyway), but it has some classic Hollywood movie nerds in a bit of a huff over how the film apparently treats Welles. But I'm definitely going to give it a shot.

Other recent releases/new to streaming options to catch up on:

Sorry We Missed You (Loach, 2019) - Criterion
Guest of Honor (Egoyan, 2019) - Criterion
Vitalina Vitarela (Costa, 2019) - Criterion
Synonyms (Lapid, 2019) - Criterion
Liberté (Serra, 2019) - Mubi
The Wild Goose Lake (Diao, 2019) - Tubi, of all places
She Dies Tomorrow (Seimetz, 2020) - Hulu
Tesla (Almereyda, 2020) - Hulu
David Byrne's American Utopia (Lee, 2020) - HBO
Small Axe (McQueen, 2020) - Prime
Time (Bradley, 2020) - Prime
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Watched BIG GAME last night. A Samuel L. Jackson film. It wasn't a SLJ kind of role. It was a good movie. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it 7. TRAILER

On the list. That looks fun.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
golden armor wrote:

You're on the sound or visual side?

I’m a picture Editor. When I was an Assistant Editor a big part of my job was doing temp SFX. They weren’t the final SFX that aired, but I did pride myself on sound design that was worthy of air.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

It was alright.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
It was alright.

Was it boring? The trailer didn’t really interest me. I’m not a fan of the genre in general though.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ocho wrote:
It was alright.

Was it boring? The trailer didn’t really interest me. I’m not a fan of the genre in general though.

It has some great moments but it’s a bit meandering and unfocused.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 87 of 189
Jump to: