The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1499, 1500, 1501 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject:

BruceLee-Bron23 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
poppies wrote:
Maginka wrote:
I think LeBron with legacy in mind, will work with AD, Klutch, and Pelinka financially to complete a 4-Peat which will give him (7) titles total to put an exclamation point on his career......I know he said he wasn't taking paycuts anymore but cutting a few million from his Laker's salary, to bring in additional talent......maybe Giannis/maybe Beal....AD seems to be of the same mindset....championships over $$$....i mean they're still getting aid very handsomely.....this should be fun for us fans and stans tho..........

A 4-peat?! Haha, love the optimism. I mean, it's not an impossibly long shot for the Lakers to do it, but man, that'd be quite an achievement. I personally feel like LBJ has all the accomplishments he really needs at this point, anything else is icing.

If LeBron wants to end up as the GOAT, he needs more accomplishments. His only real shot as this point is to complete that 4-peat. A 3-peat would maybe or probably put him unquestionably past Kobe, but not Jordan.

I'm really disappointed in LeBron's 4-6 Finals record. This past season really enhanced his legacy because he had, by far, his toughest road to the Finals ever, but he still has a long way to go to become the GOAT.

By he needs more accomplishments you mean rings based on what you said BUT Lebron’s ALREADY an ALL around better player than Jordan. Everyone thinks only rings make a player great but with the right team anyone can get a ring these days even if they suck. When everything is said and done (even if the King never gets another ring) we all know LEBRON JAMES is THE GOAT.

Rings are the ultimate validation of a player's all-around greatness and impact, especially in basketball where one player can elevate a team beyond the sum of its parts, especially in crunch time.

LeBron has had too many Finals losses where his team either choked or went out meekly. He's been swept twice in the Finals, and both years his team had no injuries.

It's really hard to win even one ring, and there have been other all-time greats who had the "right team" but didn't win a ring. If Jerry West had won 5 rings instead of one at the end of his career, don't you think he'd rank a lot higher?

The great news for him is that he has the team to truly challenge MJ and the others as the GOAT, even in the minds of those of us who value rings more than others. He just needs to stay healthy and age gracefully the way that Kareem or Karl Malone did.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
poppies wrote:
Maginka wrote:
I think LeBron with legacy in mind, will work with AD, Klutch, and Pelinka financially to complete a 4-Peat which will give him (7) titles total to put an exclamation point on his career......I know he said he wasn't taking paycuts anymore but cutting a few million from his Laker's salary, to bring in additional talent......maybe Giannis/maybe Beal....AD seems to be of the same mindset....championships over $$$....i mean they're still getting aid very handsomely.....this should be fun for us fans and stans tho..........

A 4-peat?! Haha, love the optimism. I mean, it's not an impossibly long shot for the Lakers to do it, but man, that'd be quite an achievement. I personally feel like LBJ has all the accomplishments he really needs at this point, anything else is icing.

If LeBron wants to end up as the GOAT, he needs more accomplishments. His only real shot as this point is to complete that 4-peat. A 3-peat would maybe or probably put him unquestionably past Kobe, but not Jordan.

I'm really disappointed in LeBron's 4-6 Finals record. This past season really enhanced his legacy because he had, by far, his toughest road to the Finals ever, but he still has a long way to go to become the GOAT.

Are you talking about in the eyes of Laker fans? Bron has already surpassed Kobe. For GOAT, people don't talk MJ vs Kobe, they discuss MJ vs Bron.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
poppies wrote:
Maginka wrote:

Are you talking about in the eyes of Laker fans? Bron has already surpassed Kobe. For GOAT, people don't talk MJ vs Kobe, they discuss MJ vs Bron.

I really wonder why most NBA fans in general think Bron has surpassed Kobe. Is it because they've really thought about it and analyzed it, or more because ESPN has said it over and over again?

I don't understand why Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, etc. had to win a certain number of rings to equal or surpass other greats who also won many rings, but for LeBron rings and his Finals record doesn't matter.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
poppies wrote:
Maginka wrote:

I really wonder why most NBA fans in general think Bron has surpassed Kobe. Is it because they've really thought about it and analyzed it, or more because ESPN has said it over and over again?

I don't understand why Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, etc. had to win a certain number of rings to equal or surpass other greats who also won many rings, but for LeBron rings and his Finals record doesn't matter.

It matters, that's why people clinging to MJ at the top. Lebron will never touch him because of that. It's overrated thinking. Is Robert Horry better than MJ or Kobe or Lebron? 7 rings baby!
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
poppies wrote:
Maginka wrote:

It's not a conscious thought but most people believe you have to be the best player on your team with the rings otherwise people like Sam Jones with 10 rings would be in the running.

MJ won 6 rings but just as importantly he won 6 Finals MVPs. That meant he was carrying his team to the championship in people's eyes. Kobe won 5 rings but 2 Finals MVPs, in people's eyes that's a black mark. It's why people were subconsciously waiting on the Finals MVP award this year, winning a ring without a Finals MVP to go along with it wouldn't have helped Bron's legacy nearly as much as winning both those things.

Which makes it hard for him to catch Jordan. AD has a very good chance of winning Finals MVP in any future championship the Lakers win, and that means those rings for Bron won't help him in his argument vs MJ
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
slavavov wrote:

It's not a conscious thought but most people believe you have to be the best player on your team with the rings otherwise people like Sam Jones with 10 rings would be in the running.

MJ won 6 rings but just as importantly he won 6 Finals MVPs. That meant he was carrying his team to the championship in people's eyes. Kobe won 5 rings but 2 Finals MVPs, in people's eyes that's a black mark. It's why people were subconsciously waiting on the Finals MVP award this year, winning a ring without a Finals MVP to go along with it wouldn't have helped Bron's legacy nearly as much as winning both those things.

Which makes it hard for him to catch Jordan. AD has a very good chance of winning Finals MVP in any future championship the Lakers win, and that means those rings for Bron won't help him in his argument vs MJ

I get why people think that way, but it's superficial thinking.

Kobe played at an MVP-like level in the '01 and '02 Finals, but Shaq won the MVP because we had a matchup advantage at C.

For Magic's first two or three titles, Kareem was still the team's leading scorer. How come that doesn't hurt Magic's case? How come it doesn't hurt Kareem's case that he wasn't that good for his last two titles?

If AD had won Finals MVP this year but LeBron still played at the same level, it wouldn't have hurt LeBron's argument in my mind.
JaggedJimmyJay1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject:

Most NBA fans don't hold 4-6 too much against LeBron because they can rightly grasp that having to face the Spurs dynasty and the Warriors dynasty in 7 of those 10 Finals is going to create such a troublesome record by default. LeBron's teams, even at their best, have simply never been good enough to consistently beat the Spurs Pop-Duncan-Parker-Ginobli juggernaut and certainly not the ridiculous Durant Warriors.

Neither Jordan nor Kobe had comparable Finals opposition. It isn't even close. One could argue they had comparable or tougher roads TO the Finals, but absolutely not IN the Finals.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

What an incredible journey so far.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject:

JaggedJimmyJay1 wrote:
Most NBA fans don't hold 4-6 too much against LeBron because they can rightly grasp that having to face the Spurs dynasty and the Warriors dynasty in 7 of those 10 Finals is going to create such a troublesome record by default. LeBron's teams, even at their best, have simply never been good enough to consistently beat the Spurs Pop-Duncan-Parker-Ginobli juggernaut and certainly not the ridiculous Durant Warriors.

Neither Jordan nor Kobe had comparable Finals opposition. It isn't even close. One could argue they had comparable or tougher roads TO the Finals, but absolutely not IN the Finals.

fair or not, LeBron's finals record is the first one people arguing about MJ vs Bron brings up, NBA fans absolutely hold him to that since Bron's teams have also been 'super team' in past, ones that ran into a more super 'super team'.
Now a three-peat by LeBron gotta put him over the mountain top, we're talking 6 chips with 3 franchises, one three-peat, one repeat and one first chip to the city, most likely along top-10 all time in scoring, assist, steals and top-20 in rebound... mind boggling stuff
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

Not one. Not two. Not three. Not four. Not five. Not six. Not seven. Not eight.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject:

Someone always has to bring up a Kobe vs Lebron debate smh
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject:

Brining up finals loses is dumb and an argument no one takes seriously. You think Lebron losing earlier would’ve been better for his legacy?

I can see if his teams were the favorites headed into the finals but that’s only been the case (look it up) in 3 years: 2011, 2013, 2020. Every other year prior to the finals starting his teams have been the betting underdogs. He’s only lost one time when he should’ve won.

People really bringing up 2007 (22yr old) and 2018? His teams were so overmatched and those years were more of a testament to how great he was dragging those squads that far....and no one should ever bring up 2015...absolutely NO OTHER PLAYER IN HISTORY would’ve gotten that team 2 game from the chip considering all the injuries they had.

Let’s say he ends up getting 6 rings (long shot IMO) but 6-6 is objectively better than 6-0. To me u win the same amount as Jordan while reaching the finals even more times. Thats like winning 6 gold and 6 silver medals....assuming he’s the engine of the team and gets finals mvp another 2x.

Look Lebron will never be the Laker GOAT...his tenure here will be too short. But like it or not he is in the convo for NBA GOAT (top 3 minimum at this point). The only other Lakers players that have a claim for a top 3 spot is Kareem or Magic.
pokoy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject:

JaggedJimmyJay1 wrote:

I think that’s a more recent development honestly. Before this last one, 3-6 was such a strong argument against him. Couple things started working on lebron’s favor recently (besides just winning the 4th title - which accounts for a lot of the shift).

1 - A dominant player in their prime usually gets nitpicked to death, so now that Lebron is on the last years of his career, the current coverage on him has shifted to the “legacy and appreciation” phase.

2 - Joining the Lakers then winning over Laker fans with that 4th title. You cannot discount having the largest fanbase in the world fighting on your side. This is huge for his legacy, I’m pretty sure he took this into account. Winning it with say the Sixers, Rockets or Clippers would have not been as impactful.

3 - The end of the GS/Cleveland conference dynasties PLUS what I call the “Nick Wright” argument (though I think others have said it before him - he’s just the guy who popularized it recently) taking a bigger foothold in the narrative now. Basically it’s absurd to say Jimmy Butler taking the Heat to the Finals hurt his legacy because he’s now 0-1 in the Finals. We could never say this in the last 4-5 years because it was always GSW vs Cleveland in the finals so all Bron was known for was losing to them more often than not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dj1337
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
poppies wrote:
Maginka wrote:

Lebron has not passed kobe. Only epsn/lebron fans think this way. Even most old/current players would take kobe. Lebron would maybe have to win 2 more to get over kobe and even than he lost many times in the finals so still debatable. Thats no disrespect to lebron hes right behind kobe in terms of all time greats.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject:

LeBron vs Kobe... calling batguano and George Kush
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LeBron vs Kobe... calling batguano and George Kush

Present!
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I'll say this for now... It's funny to me how when Kobe was playing JUST reaching the Finals was never seen as some huge accomplishment (especially coming out of the tough West) and his two finals losses where definitely treated as a HUGE stain to his "GOAT argument legacy".

Only when LeBron started racking up L's did the narrative all of a sudden change for a bunch of people... It's just funny...

Also, I don't put too much stock on who Vegas thinks are the favorites/underdogs. Anybody who seriously thinks that LeBron's 2012 Heatles (with 3 HOFs ALL IN THEIR PRIMES) were underdogs to the 2012 Big 3 Thunder (with their Big 3 in their early 20s, not yet having reached their peaks, Harden a bench player), I can't take their basketball opinion seriously.

Also thinking that an aging Spurs Big 3 with a young Kawhi who were underdogs just the year before, are somehow favorites over (again) a younger Heatles core. And don't give me any of this nonsense about, "B-b-b-b-but Wade was no the same!" as if Duncan/Parker/Manu on the other side were somehow spring chickens...

People want to say LeBron is the GOAT and the "best player in the NBA since 2005" and yet somehow he still manages to be the "underdog" more times than not even when he has stacked teams...? Rrrrrrrriiiiiight.....

Only losses that are excusable are 2007 and 2018.

The Thunder proved in 2016 that the "unbeatable GOAT team Warriors" was indeed very beatable, having them down 1-3 before melting down. And LeBron still needed to campaign for Draymond to be suspended to pull it off (on top of losing Bogut to injury)

The even more supposedly "unbeatable" Durant Warriors were pushed to 7 and 6 games respectively by Harden and an aging CP3. So what's LeBron's excuse with Kyrie and Love?

He's definitely the GOAT of people making excuses for him. Guarantee you if he was 10-0 instead of 4-6, the "Finals losses/records don't matter" crowd would be singing a different tune...
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Not one ... not two ... 1500
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
I'll say this for now... It's funny to me how when Kobe was playing JUST reaching the Finals was never seen as some huge accomplishment (especially coming out of the tough West) and his two finals losses where definitely treated as a HUGE stain to his "GOAT argument legacy".

Only when LeBron started racking up L's did the narrative all of a sudden change for a bunch of people... It's just funny...

Also, I don't put too much stock on who Vegas thinks are the favorites/underdogs. Anybody who seriously thinks that LeBron's 2012 Heatles (with 3 HOFs ALL IN THEIR PRIMES) were underdogs to the 2012 Big 3 Thunder (with their Big 3 in their early 20s, not yet having reached their peaks, Harden a bench player), I can't take their basketball opinion seriously.

Also thinking that an aging Spurs Big 3 with a young Kawhi who were underdogs just the year before, are somehow favorites over (again) a younger Heatles core. And don't give me any of this nonsense about, "B-b-b-b-but Wade was no the same!" as if Duncan/Parker/Manu on the other side were somehow spring chickens...

People want to say LeBron is the GOAT and the "best player in the NBA since 2005" and yet somehow he still manages to be the "underdog" more times than not even when he has stacked teams...? Rrrrrrrriiiiiight.....

The Thunder proved in 2016 that the "unbeatable GOAT team Warriors" was indeed very beatable, having them down 1-3 before melting down. And LeBron still needed to campaign for Draymond to be suspended to pull it off (on top of losing Bogut to injury)

The even more supposedly "unbeatable" Durant Warriors were pushed to 7 and 6 games respectively by Harden and an aging CP3. So what's LeBron's excuse with Kyrie and Love?

He's definitely the GOAT of people making excuses for him. Guarantee you if he was 10-0 instead of 4-6, the "Finals losses/records don't matter" crowd would be singing a different tune...

I don't see how the narrative changed for Bron, the narrative has NEVER changed. Bron just wasn't in the discussion yet. Kobe was in his prime doing his thing, and he was pitted against MJ, and that's when people talked about his losses, his 6-24, his having Shaq as a teammate, etc.

Lebron is now more accomplished and is pitted against MJ now and the same arguments are upheld. MJ's 6 for 6 is insurmountable in media conversation.

Kobe vs Lebron is just a different conversation, it's not GOAT conversation. I've been blessed with Magic, Kobe, Shaq and now Lebron. I don't need ESPN to tell me Lebron is better. He simply is. And when he wasn't a Laker, I used to root against him because I KNEW he threatened Kobe's legacy. I rooted against him the same way I rooted against Vince, AI, T-Mac, Wade, etc. Because Kobe's our guy! But take away my P&G loyalty, and ask me an unbias opinion, Lebron is obviously the better player, and when it's said and done, will break Kareem's all time scoring record too.

But based on this comment, I see you don't like him much.. He's definitely the GOAT of people making excuses for him, I wonder did you enjoy this championship at all? Or, are you in Laker hell now?
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Batguano wrote:

I don't see how the narrative changed for Bron, the narrative has NEVER changed. Bron just wasn't in the discussion yet. Kobe was in his prime doing his thing, and he was pitted against MJ, and that's when people talked about his losses, his 6-24, his having Shaq as a teammate, etc.

Lebron is now more accomplished and is pitted against MJ now and the same arguments are upheld. MJ's 6 for 6 is insurmountable in media conversation.

Kobe vs Lebron is just a different conversation, it's not GOAT conversation. I've been blessed with Magic, Kobe, Shaq and now Lebron. I don't need ESPN to tell me Lebron is better. He simply is. And when he wasn't a Laker, I used to root against him because I KNEW he threatened Kobe's legacy. I rooted against him the same way I rooted against Vince, AI, T-Mac, Wade, etc. Because Kobe's our guy! But take away my P&G loyalty, and ask me an unbias opinion, Lebron is obviously the better player, and when it's said and done, will break Kareem's all time scoring record too.

But based on this comment, I see you don't like him much.. He's definitely the GOAT of people making excuses for him, I wonder did you enjoy this championship at all? Or, are you in Laker hell now?

Ah yes, make it about me

I don't know any REAL Lakers fan that ISN'T in Lakers Hell right now because of what transpired on January 26th. But hey, I don't want to speak for you like you're attempting to speak for me and insinuate...

I'll take player opinions over ESPN pundits or message board fans any day. At ABSOLUTE WORST they have Kobe in the same tier/level as MJ/LeBron, and many still have him over LeBron.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

CBS Sports: MJ, LBJ, KAJ, Russell, Magic, Wilt, Shaq, Bird, TD, Kobe, Hakeem, Oscar, Steph, Dr J, West

ESPN: MJ, LBJ, KAJ, Russell, Magic, Wilt, Bird, TD, Kobe, Shaq

Clutchpoints: MJ, LBJ, Wilt, KAJ, russell, Magic, Bird, Shaq, TD, Kobe

All 3 were spring/early summer this year.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
CBS Sports: MJ, LBJ, KAJ, Russell, Magic, Wilt, Shaq, Bird, TD, Kobe, Hakeem, Oscar, Steph, Dr J, West

You must've missed the part where I said I don't value sports pundit/media opinions over that of players. Maybe you should link to the backpicks website next. That'll REALLY change my mind.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
P.K. wrote:

You must've missed the part where I said I don't value sports pundit/media opinions over that of players. Maybe you should link to the backpicks website next. That'll REALLY change my mind.

You must have missed the part where I didn't address the post to you.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1499, 1500, 1501 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 1500 of 2079
Jump to: