LaMelo Ball ranked as five-star prospect, 13th overall in updated 2019 ESPN Top 100
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Did you see the BBB High School All American game announcement? Lavar is literally having an All Star game for his son because he was not selected for any of the national All American games. He got one other player (Jaden McDaniels) that would be considered for traditional All American games.....many of the players on the rosters are not even 3 Star guys.

I see it as a dad doing everything to promote his son, a very loud attention grabbing dad, but I understand

if not for his great dad....he would not have to have his own All American game...he might actually get to play in a relevant one.

And if not for his dad he wouldn’t be the only player profiting off of a HS all star game and wouldn’t be one of the most famous high school athletes of all time in an era where fame is more lucrative than ever due to social media. He’s made his kids money and created a following around them that allows them to make more money in the future. Idk why that guy is considered so evil. He’s put a lot of pressure on the kids but I’d say the financial situation he’s put them in is well worth it.

Saying stupid (bleep) doesn’t make you a bad person or dad. On the other hand, supporting and providing opportunities for your kids makes you a good person.

He got LaMelo back in, but I felt the biggest knock on him was taking his kids out of school. When he was saying stupid things as a dad who had 3 honor students going to UCLA I thought much more of him than a guy who says dumb things and pulled two of his kids out of school. If LaMelo is going to the NBA I guess it doesn't matter much though.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Bleacher Report
@BleacherReport

LaMelo’s playing with former NBA players in Australia, and they say he’s league-ready: “IQ is amazing…His ceiling is so high.” 🔥 (@NBL)
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1196918825188413441

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject:

Lamelo becomes Yougnest player in NDL with Triple Double leading team to win.
In return game, gets trashed talk by other team, and plays even better

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

World's away: Lamelo Ball is firmly on the NBA's radar

AUCKLAND, New Zealand — By now, the secret is out on LaMelo Ball, and the hype appears to be real. The 6-foot-7 point guard is in line to be the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft in June, and with the way he’s playing in the Australian National Basketball League, his case is only getting stronger.

Ball was the first player in the NBL since 2005 to post back-to-back triple-doubles, finishing with 25 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists Saturday night.
https://sports.yahoo.com/does-la-melo-ball-believe-he-should-be-the-no-1-overall-pick-most-definitely-164205670.html

Lamelo Ball 32 Point Triple Double in Overtime Thriller

Lamelo Ball 4th back to Back Triple Double of Season

keep in mind this kid just turned 18 in August.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Bump.

Went #3 in the draft. Kid came a long way after many pundits wrote him off after Lithuania mess.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Kid is officially listed at 6'8 180.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

The biggest ball of them all
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:

The biggest ball of them all

He may never shoot, but I'll be gosh darned the biggest Ball can rebound.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

Lamelo Ball 27 points 9 assists 5 rebounds 4 steals vs Milwaukee

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Filthy put back dunk. He tracked that ball down like a homing missile.
Aphex Twin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject:

I would offer at least Kuz, THT, Caruso, a 1st, and a 2nd for him.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject:

Funniest part is people were calling him a bust after his NBA debut
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Coming into tonight he was 8th in the entire league in Assist % and 6th among all guards in defensive rebounding %. His shooting is now up to 43/32/79, and the FT % in particular portends to better things in that department imo. Positive DBPM as well as OBPM. Also, I realize that PER can be a deceiving thing, but he has that up to about 18 now after tonight's game.

His TS % of .524 is better than Lonzo's was last year, the only decent shooting year Lonzo has ever had, and he's impacting the game more than his older brother ever has.

Kid is 19. He looks like a future star if the shooting is merely respectable.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject:

LaMelo is basically who i wanted Lonzo to be after watching both before they entered the NBA. Always knew the Lakers would not have a top pick by the time Melo entered the league, so i hoped Lonzo would be much better than i thought he was. Turns out, Lonzo is basically a JAG at this point in his career, and Melo has the look of a future superstar with a level of confidence, poise, and ability far beyond his age that i have not seen since Kobe (please do not think i am saying he is equal to Kobe).

LaMelo Ball as a starter through 3 games: 23-5-6 on 59% TS, and the Hornets are 1-2.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/ldp0wj/lamelo_ball_as_a_starter_through_3_games_2356_on/
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
LaMelo is basically who i wanted Lonzo to be after watching both before they entered the NBA. Always knew the Lakers would not have a top pick by the time Melo entered the league, so i hoped Lonzo would be much better than i thought he was. Turns out, Lonzo is basically a JAG at this point in his career, and Melo has the look of a future superstar with a level of confidence, poise, and ability far beyond his age that i have not seen since Kobe (please do not think i am saying he is equal to Kobe).

LaMelo Ball as a starter through 3 games: 23-5-6 on 59% TS, and the Hornets are 1-2.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/ldp0wj/lamelo_ball_as_a_starter_through_3_games_2356_on/

Lamelo Ball's last 3 games

23/5/6 46% Field Goal 47% Three on 6 attempts as 2nd scoring option

Lonzo Ball's last 3 games
17/5.7/3 48% Field Goal 52% Three on 7 attempts, as 3rd scoring option

I'd say they're both doing well. Lonzo's problem hasn't been his skill/ability/work ethic. It's been his health. As he's rounding into health we see more what he's striving to be and working towards. With Lamelo we see him making strides we were afraid Charlotte was going to stifle by keeping him on the bench.

So it's good to see them both doing well!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

Lamelo Ball 34 Points vs Jazz

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Lamelo Ball's last 3 games

23/5/6 46% Field Goal 47% Three on 6 attempts as 2nd scoring option

Lonzo Ball's last 3 games
17/5.7/3 48% Field Goal 52% Three on 7 attempts, as 3rd scoring option

I'd say they're both doing well. Lonzo's problem hasn't been his skill/ability/work ethic. It's been his health. As he's rounding into health we see more what he's striving to be and working towards. With Lamelo we see him making strides we were afraid Charlotte was going to stifle by keeping him on the bench.

So it's good to see them both doing well!

The difference is that LaMelo is doing what he's doing at 4 years younger, and he's already having a better season than Lonzo has had in his entire career. They are not comparable in terms of their trajectory, and Lonzo looks borderline clueless out there at times (so does LaMelo sometimes, but he has played literally a fraction of the number of NBA games and is getting better every game whereas Lonzo does not look like he's improving much at all anymore). If by "doing well," the expectation is that the player is just around replacement level, then, yea, Lonzo is doing well too.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

The biggest difference I see is their confidence. Lamelo has zero problems with taking the shot while Lonzo would look to pass the ball first. This is usually not a problem for elite PG's but problem is Lonzo doesn't seem to believe in his offensive production.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

Lonzo's always had a point guard team-first mentality of getting his teammates involved, Lamelo's always had more of a mentality of being a scorer who learned how to be a point guard.

Lonzo's strengths when healthy, is his shooting, his defense and his playmaking ability.

Lamelo's strengths are his scoring and his passing. Defensively we don't know yet.

You have a scoring point guard who can pass in Lamelo, and you have a passing point guard who can score, but you wish was more selfish, in Lonzo.

Lonzo would try to lock down Ja Morant on the defensive end and offensively would be fine with just scoring 16 points if the team wins.

Lamelo would likely try to have a scoring duel with Ja Morant and try to beat him that way where the defense was circumstantial.

It's all in the mentality, and both can be valuable to a team. Lamelo will always be the highlight reel, and Lonzo will always be the guy who attacks from the reeds but does the little things.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Lamelo dancing before draining a long 3

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Lamelo Ball 19/7/5 vs the Wizards

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Friday's game.

34/8/4 against a stingy Utah defense.
LakersAlldaWay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject:

+29 in 32 minutes vs the Rockets today
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject:

LakersAlldaWay wrote:
+29 in 32 minutes vs the Rockets today

22 points, 6.4 assists, 5.7 boards in his last 7 games since starting. Charlotte is 5-2 in that stretch.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Coming into tonight he was 8th in the entire league in Assist % and 6th among all guards in defensive rebounding %. His shooting is now up to 43/32/79, and the FT % in particular portends to better things in that department imo. Positive DBPM as well as OBPM. Also, I realize that PER can be a deceiving thing, but he has that up to about 18 now after tonight's game.

His TS % of .524 is better than Lonzo's was last year, the only decent shooting year Lonzo has ever had, and he's impacting the game more than his older brother ever has.

Kid is 19. He looks like a future star if the shooting is merely respectable.

LaMelo's handle opens up the floor for him and he has superior touch at all three levels than Lonzo had at the same age (and even now). LaMelo's also an aggressive scorer even as he hunts passing opportunities.

Right now, which young PGs look like perennial All-Stars?

DLo - terrible on defense due to laziness and not efficient enough on offense; unlikely to take a leap.

Simmons - a sweet passing PF at this point

J. Murray - could get there if he can regain his bubble form

D. Murray - outside shot if he puts everything together on offense

FVV - probably too physically limited to take another leap

Fox - seems to be back on pace to become one of the best PGs in the NBA. If the shot is legit, seems like he'll be an ASG regular.

Mitchell - already a perennial ASG candidate, is he a PG?

Lonzo - highly unlikely

Fultz - still an outside chance if he can stay healthy and regain his college jumper

Luka - A perennial All-Star talent until his body breaks down.

Young - despite his small stature and terrible defense, he's already one of the best small guards to ever play the game.

SGA - very exciting talent on the cusp of stardom; can he rise above the cusp?

Sexton - a fun scorer, is he a PG or a SG?

Morant - seems likely to be a perennial All-Star talent, but his poor jumper and thin frame could limit his ceiling.

Garland/White - too early to tell and a long ways to go.

LaMelo - only 19 years old, he seems like he could rise to the top of this list, right?

Hayes/Anthony/Lewis - too early to tell and a long ways to go.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: