Alex Trebek announces he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer (Alex Trebek dies at age 80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Jeopardy Remembers Their Host

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject:

As all of you have already posted, what a terrible loss.

This guy was great at his job and I felt like I knew him.

Much respect to Alex and his family and friends.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

No way, broseph, I said it there: Chick (also a game show host lest we forget).

My sincere apologies for the oversight.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Trebek, Dick Clark, Barker, and Regis Philbin are probably my favorite game show hosts ever.

Also, shout-outs to Alan Ludden, Wink Martindale, Bill Cullen, Bert Convy, Bob Eubanks, Pat Sajak, and Peter Tomarken. I loved the original Press Your Luck, with Tomarken. I also liked Meredith Vieira on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, when she first took over the syndicated version.

Monty Hall and Richard Dawson (you have to watch the compilation of him kissing family feud ladies by the hundreds) deserve mention

Yes, absolutely, I should have mentioned those two. Steve Harvey is also quite entertaining as the current host of the Feud. Worst host of that show? I'll say Richard Karn.

Richard Dawson was awesome in The Running Man.

As was Jesse The Body Ventura! LOL.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Final Jeopardy:

He died of pancreatic cancer, after having achieved fame as the host of Jeopardy! for 13 years.

Quote:
Who was Art Fleming.

The two greatest hosts of the only game show worth watching both succumbed to pancreatic cancer.

In the late 80’s Art had a Sunday night Trivia Spectacular on radio. They played it on KMOX radio in St. Louis and I listened often. Four hours of wall to wall trivia.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Trebek, Dick Clark, Barker, and Regis Philbin are probably my favorite game show hosts ever.

Also, shout-outs to Alan Ludden, Wink Martindale, Bill Cullen, Bert Convy, Bob Eubanks, Pat Sajak, and Peter Tomarken. I loved the original Press Your Luck, with Tomarken. I also liked Meredith Vieira on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, when she first took over the syndicated version.

Monty Hall and Richard Dawson (you have to watch the compilation of him kissing family feud ladies by the hundreds) deserve mention

Yes, absolutely, I should have mentioned those two. Steve Harvey is also quite entertaining as the current host of the Feud. Worst host of that show? I'll say Richard Karn.

I don't know if you're a fan of the Boys on Amazon but Homelander totally reminds me of Captain Freedom.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I saw the documentary on how that one guy figured out how to beat the Whammies on Press Your Luck. It was never aired, of course. It showed him kicking ass and Tomarken had this look and sound to his voice that signaled "UH OH...This is not good." And Wink Martindale. That's one I forgot. Perfect game show host name. Real name Winston.

We can’t forget a coked up Chuck Barris.

Was he on that mid 70s era show that had Richard Dawson as a player a lot? Lucille Ball, etc? Paul Lynde as well, who did the sexual innuendo answers. Not Hollywood Squares, but some other guess my answer type show. OK, now I see Omar w/ Monty Hall. That may be who I'm thinking of, but the show escapes me. The game show channel replays said show.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jim Brown = Fireball. I just learned definitively a year or so ago after 100 views of The Running Man that he was Fireball. I learned it from a youtube comment. Before then, I used to think that Fireball looked like Jim Brown. DUH! I don't ever remember watching the credits intently, that's why. The Running Man dancers also had 1987 Lakergurlz in it. There's a cute brunette, slim, who definitely was on the squad.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I don't know if you're a fan of the Boys on Amazon but Homelander totally reminds me of Captain Freedom.

Sub Zero worked on the side as Francis Buxton's butler/bodyguard.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I saw the documentary on how that one guy figured out how to beat the Whammies on Press Your Luck. It was never aired, of course. It showed him kicking ass and Tomarken had this look and sound to his voice that signaled "UH OH...This is not good." And Wink Martindale. That's one I forgot. Perfect game show host name. Real name Winston.

Was he on that mid 70s era show that had Richard Dawson as a player a lot? Lucille Ball, etc? Paul Lynde as well, who did the sexual innuendo answers. Not Hollywood Squares, but some other guess my answer type show. OK, now I see Omar w/ Monty Hall. That may be who I'm thinking of, but the show escapes me. The game show channel replays said show.

Match Game?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Match Game?

Yeah, that's the one. Weird, boozy game show. Older clientele probably watched that because the guests were mostly older stars after their careers had run down. Lucy was in an ep that I saw, e.g.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Dawson went in for the teenaged daughters and young teenies, too. He gave them more of a peck at least. More often than not the ladies consented because he was debonair to someone from Toledo. When he was brought back in the 90s for a brief stint, he obviously dropped the kissing. He had a wooden tree with suckers that guests pulled out and some of them had black sticks indicating some sort of prize, but he would double kiss them for good luck, too. He was a letch, haha. I saw this one clip of his son coming on stage, one he hadn't seen for a year or so and he cried and they hugged for a long time, so he had a heart in there. Donald doesn't do that to Barron.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

You know it's funny with Arnold. Few people realize that his most iconic lines came mainly from Commando, Running Man and the original Predator. Granted THE iconic line came from Terminator.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

You know it's funny with Arnold. Few people realize that his most iconic lines came mainly from Commando, Running Man and the original Predator. Granted THE iconic line came from Terminator.

"Remember when I promised I would kill you last? I LIED!"

"Please don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired."

"Let off some steam, Bennett!"

All of those were from Commando. My favorite line in The Running Man is by the old lady, actually. As Ahhnold is starting to kick ass in the game, Killian (Richard Dawson's character) tries to assure the people out there "we're just experiencing technical difficulties", and the old lady snaps back "bullsh*t!" Loved that.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject:

^^^ He's basically meathead John Wick in Commando. The body count was staggering and 8 year old me loved every second lol.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

All of those were from Commando. My favorite line in The Running Man is by the old lady, actually. As Ahhnold is starting to kick ass in the game, Killian (Richard Dawson's character) tries to assure the people out there "we're just experiencing technical difficulties", and the old lady snaps back "bullsh*t!" Loved that.

Haha, that same ol gal said, "I can vote for anyone I want! And I vote for Ben Richards. He's one meeaaan mother (bleeper)..."

Dawson had a funny line with her that nodded to Family Feud: "Won'tchu gimme a kiss. But remember.....NO TONGUES!" (extras in audience laugh actual laffs)
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject:

I hope that the producers of Jeopardy eschew the industry practice of recycling game show hosts. Trebek and Fleming succeeded as they were "professorial" in their delivery, warmth, timely interjection of humor and lack of pretension, much like a cool college professor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: