THE ELECTION DAY THREAD (****ONE DAY ONLY**** - Personal Attacks = Immediate Suspension)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

There's a valuable lesson here for young people: Don't wait until Election Day to vote. I'm not criticizing -- it took me a long time to learn that lesson.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

There's a valuable lesson here for young people: Don't wait until Election Day to vote. I'm not criticizing -- it took me a long time to learn that lesson.

Oh, I always vote in person. I would never trust the USPS to deliver my ballot, even in ordinary times. Besides, I find it satisfying to go through the physical experience of democracy. I like to thank the poll workers for taking the time to make the system work. (They always seem a little surprised, and pleased, that someone recognizes this.)

But this does not mean that I would want to stand in line on Election Day for a few hours. That's the lesson for young people. This year, I was in and out in about 10-15 minutes on the first day of early voting. Get off my grass.

The sad truth is less than 1/2 of the US states allow weekend in-person early voting. Sure more people could do it than do. But it is FAAAAAAR from being an opportunity to everyone.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Oh, I always vote in person. I would never trust the USPS to deliver my ballot, even in ordinary times. Besides, I find it satisfying to go through the physical experience of democracy. I like to thank the poll workers for taking the time to make the system work. (They always seem a little surprised, and pleased, that someone recognizes this.)

But this does not mean that I would want to stand in line on Election Day for a few hours. That's the lesson for young people. This year, I was in and out in about 10-15 minutes on the first day of early voting. Get off my grass.

The sad truth is less than 1/2 of the US states allow weekend in-person early voting. Sure more people could do it than do. But it is FAAAAAAR from being an opportunity to everyone.

Also true that our friend AH's demographic is going to get a lot better voting opportunities in many states.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Sleepy Joe if that makes you feel better

Do you have a real reason for calling him Sleepy Joe?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Moving to my second white russian.

Update - Indiana and KY are going towards Trump [as if anyone really is surprised].
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

We don’t have weekend voting here. I’m not sold on that as a benchmark. Election Day isn’t a weekend, either.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

We don’t have weekend voting here. I’m not sold on that as a benchmark. Election Day isn’t a weekend, either.

Exactly! Election day should maybe on the weekend too.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Biden outperforming Hillary in Texas so far in the early counties reporting. Interesting.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I like the idea of making it a national holiday. But that would be hard to do.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

If you allow for getting people ballots via mail, and drop offs during a period of time leading up to election day as a deadline, you don't need any of that
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
cathy78 wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
What are you all doing to get you through what for many will be stress piled on top of stress. Got liquor? Got reefer? Maybe a fresh carton of Pall Malls?

Stress actually doesn't exist. It is mostly a result of bad food and eating habits.

LOL. This has been your bad medical advice for the day.

Here's some more bad medical advice. I smoke to lower my blood pressure.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

If you allow for getting people ballots via mail, and drop offs during a period of time leading up to election day as a deadline, you don't need any of that

Yup that's exactly how we have it in Oregon. Very convenient. Wouldn't want it any other way.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject:

In WA, you get your ballot three weeks or so before the deadline, and if your ballot doesn’t show up or you spoil it, you can easily get a replacement. Lots of drop boxes. No need for election lines or a day off. It’s at your leisure.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Eh. I'm not a fan of voting by mail. During the pandemic, I get it. But under ordinary circumstances, I wouldn't expand it beyond absentees and people who can't make it to a polling place.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject:

I really didn't think that the election would come down to counting mail ballots in the Rust Belt. The media harped on that scenario, but I thought it was just about generating clicks for news websites. Shows what I know.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject:

LEBRON for President 2028!! That's all I gotta say. Good riddance Trump.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject:

Again this election proves the case against the electoral college. Personally I thought it was a bad idea when I learned about it in 5th grade.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

Did anyone here put money on "It will all come down to Nevada"? I bet the odds were juicy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: