OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4902, 4903, 4904 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Until I see with my own eyes Steph and Klay not being the greatest shooters of this era by far I'm giving the Warriors the benefit of the doubt. Their supporting cast outside of their core 3 is arguably better than the 73 win squad. Only player they don't really have a replacement for is Iggy. They're going to be good and I'm not putting teams like Utah and Houston ahead of them.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Cyberfreak444 wrote:
Shams Charania broke some huge news that the salary cap is expected to be $109 million and that the luxury tax is expected to be set at $132 million based upon current negotiations. This is less than what had previously been projected for this season ($115 million salary cap and $139 million luxury tax line). If true this is terrible news for the Lakers. It becomes practically impossible for the Lakers to re-sign KCP and Rondo and stay under the apron (about $138 million) once they use the MLE or even the bi-annual exception. Since using either the MLE or the bi-annual exception turns the apron into a hard cap, the Lakers have to basically pick between keeping KCP and Rondo via their bird rights, but only having the mini mid level exception (worth only about $5 million) or letting one or both of those guys go but having the full MLE and the bi-annual exception to use.

I would hate to lose Danny Green, but it seems like we need to trade him now just to free up a little space. Not sure how much it would help, but cannot afford to lose KCP and Rondo.

Instead of salary dumping Green onto a team with cap space just to clear salary, the Lakers could aggregate the salary of multiple players like Green, McGee, Kuzma, etc to try and improve the roster. It’s possible that trade will provide better opportunities than free agency given the Lakers’ sudden cap constraints.

But yeah, almost regardless of which direction the organization goes, it’s going to have to make some hard choices. Before the offseason I had high hopes that the Lakers could retain its key free agents and still use the full midlevel to bring in a really useful player like say Gallinari. Now it seems like that’s definitely not going to happen. I’m curious how much the organization values KCP and Rondo. And how much it thinks it needs to add a fresh face to provide something new or replace something that was lost. Rob Pelinka is going to have his work cut out for him over the next couple of months.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I'm willing to put a bet the player that Brian Windhorst is talking about is Devonte Graham. A player LeBron was talking about during the conference when he was talking about mvp being weird and stuff. Devonte Graham is on his last year of his contract and hes really young only 25 years old and one of the most improved players in the league. 19/7/4.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Cyberfreak444 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Cyberfreak444 wrote:
Shams Charania broke some huge news that the salary cap is expected to be $109 million and that the luxury tax is expected to be set at $132 million based upon current negotiations. This is less than what had previously been projected for this season ($115 million salary cap and $139 million luxury tax line). If true this is terrible news for the Lakers. It becomes practically impossible for the Lakers to re-sign KCP and Rondo and stay under the apron (about $138 million) once they use the MLE or even the bi-annual exception. Since using either the MLE or the bi-annual exception turns the apron into a hard cap, the Lakers have to basically pick between keeping KCP and Rondo via their bird rights, but only having the mini mid level exception (worth only about $5 million) or letting one or both of those guys go but having the full MLE and the bi-annual exception to use.

I would hate to lose Danny Green, but it seems like we need to trade him now just to free up a little space. Not sure how much it would help, but cannot afford to lose KCP and Rondo.

Instead of salary dumping Green onto a team with cap space just to clear salary, the Lakers could aggregate the salary of multiple players like Green, McGee, Kuzma, etc to try and improve the roster. It’s possible that trade will provide better opportunities than free agency given the Lakers’ sudden cap constraints.

But yeah, almost regardless of which direction the organization goes, it’s going to have to make some hard choices. Before the offseason I had high hopes that the Lakers could retain its key free agents and still use the full midlevel to bring in a really useful player like say Gallinari. Now it seems like that’s definitely not going to happen. I’m curious how much the organization values KCP and Rondo. And how much it thinks it needs to add a fresh face to provide something new or replace something that was lost. Rob Pelinka is going to have his work cut out for him over the next couple of months.

Internally, I’d say Rondo might have a slight edge. Externally, Rob will have to show he’s willing to do whatever to sign Mana from Heaven. He has to keep Klutch happy.
PNWlakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
I'm willing to put a bet the player that Brian Windhorst is talking about is Devonte Graham. A player LeBron was talking about during the conference when he was talking about mvp being weird and stuff. Devonte Graham is on his last year of his contract and hes really young only 25 years old and one of the most improved players in the league. 19/7/4

interesting... I love it, but what do you send out to match his low salary?

Graham has shown glimpses of DameLite and would be a great building block for years to come with THT
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

PNWlakers wrote:
logical24 wrote:
I'm willing to put a bet the player that Brian Windhorst is talking about is Devonte Graham. A player LeBron was talking about during the conference when he was talking about mvp being weird and stuff. Devonte Graham is on his last year of his contract and hes really young only 25 years old and one of the most improved players in the league. 19/7/4

interesting... I love it, but what do you send out to match his low salary?

Graham has shown glimpses of DameLite and would be a great building block for years to come with THT

Says his salary for 2020/21 $1,663,861 interesting!
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
I'm willing to put a bet the player that Brian Windhorst is talking about is Devonte Graham. A player LeBron was talking about during the conference when he was talking about mvp being weird and stuff. Devonte Graham is on his last year of his contract and hes really young only 25 years old and one of the most improved players in the league. 19/7/4.

The key part of Windy’s comment was the implication that the team would likely be looking to trade him for the sorts of assets that the Lakers have. The Hornets would be foolish to want to trade Graham given that they have space and he’s young and inexpensive. This also rules out a player like Spencer Dinwiddie who the Nets would certainly love to trade but specifically for the purposes of acquiring a third option to go with KD and Kyrie.

So I would look specifically at teams looking to dump salary next season. Dennis Schruder is a possibility since OKC has made it clear that it is rebuilding. Derrick Rose is another potential candidate.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Cyberfreak444 wrote:
Shams Charania broke some huge news that the salary cap is expected to be $109 million and that the luxury tax is expected to be set at $132 million based upon current negotiations. This is less than what had previously been projected for this season ($115 million salary cap and $139 million luxury tax line).

This was announced months ago. What they are really announcing is that it won't go lower than $109M. The owners are keeping the salary cap at $109M artificially. It would have dropped to about $90M otherwise. From last June:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba-salary-cap-remain-190026583.html
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Cyberfreak444 wrote:
Shams Charania broke some huge news that the salary cap is expected to be $109 million and that the luxury tax is expected to be set at $132 million based upon current negotiations. This is less than what had previously been projected for this season ($115 million salary cap and $139 million luxury tax line).

This was announced months ago. What they are really announcing is that it won't go lower than $109M. The owners are keeping the salary cap at $109M artificially. It would have dropped to about $90M otherwise.

Not really. There was speculation over the last week or so that since most teams are over the cap (24 of them), the cap would artificially be raised to the originally projected $115 million, which would also mean the luxury tax line would go to $139 million. There was even considerable hope (per Bobby Marks) of the luxury tax line being held at $139 million even if the cap itself was kept at $109 million. Agents in particular were pushing for this as a higher luxury tax line would mean more money for the players with more MLE contracts being made available. Teams and agents were waiting on some sort of announcement as to where the luxury tax line was, as it defines where the apron is. Even as recently as yesterday there was an anticipation of a $139 million luxury tax line amongst credible basketball reporters. But it looks like they are just going with last year’s cap numbers after all (my guess is the players didn’t want to have even more of their money escrowed).

It’s a huge win for the six teams with cap space as they will receive bigger luxury tax payments from the other teams and be in a position to collect assets from teams dumping assets to avoid the tax. But it’s pretty bad for two types of team - those with really expensive rosters (Warriors, Sixers) and those teams that will be over the cap and are seeking to both retain free agents and add player(s) through full MLE (Lakers, Clippers, Raptors, etc).
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject:

What are the odds that Rondo goes to the Flippers?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Not sure why people are so high on GS.

I've been saying this for a couple months. I don't think folks realize how barren their roster has become. And they are deep into luxury tax territory already.

They have a #2 pick to trade for an impact player is why.

Plus a likely high draft pick next season and a $17 mil TPE this season. They have ways to improve their roster.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:

As close as he is to AD and Cousins I'd say between slim and none. He also seems to be in LeBron's circle of trust now and has no ties that I know of with anyone on the clippers.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

How much can we pay Rondo over 2 years using his early bird rights?
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I was listening to the Ringer's NBA podcast and I have to say, I was liked their assessment of what we should do this offseason. In short, they think we have our eyes set on taking a shot at a max guy next off-season to pair with AD, so we need to keep our books clean this year, which makes a lot of sense. Giannis may be pipe, but it's hard not to go after him and/or Bradley Beal (Dipo, etc.). If AD opts for a 1+1 contract, it allows both Bron & AD to opt out next off-season, let Bron take a slight haircut and sign a legit big three that will have us competing for chips for the foreseeable future. It's hard to pass up on that possibility.

Signing KCP, Rondo or Dwight to a multi-year deal throws a serious wrench into that plan. So does trading half our roster for CP3 and his albatross contract (if you think he'll opt out, you're dreaming).

However, going after Dipo or Schroder as our big move makes tons of sense for this plan. Both would, if healthy, seriously improve our team and both are expiring contracts. For Dipo, it's a question of whether we have the bullets to acquire him (are Kuzma, 28 and/or THT enough to win that derby?), but he's one of those possible 2021 targets ... so it makes sense to give him a shot this year and, if he pans out, we're likely in the driver's seat to re-sign him in 2021. Then we go after a stretch big on a 1-year deal (mentioned Gallo, Ibaka or Marc Gasol, all would be great). Makes sense.

Nothing new here, as lots of people have been floating similar plans. Just hearing those guys talk it out crystallized the thought for me, which I now totally endorse.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Not sure why people are so high on GS.

I've been saying this for a couple months. I don't think folks realize how barren their roster has become. And they are deep into luxury tax territory already.

They have a #2 pick to trade for an impact player is why.

Plus a likely high draft pick next season and a $17 mil TPE this season. They have ways to improve their roster.

Their bench is a bunch of UDFA's and 2nd round picks. Begs the question how much $$$ can they afford to improve their roster?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
manlisten wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Celtics are trying to prevent us from passing them next year in championships, I’m sure if the Celtics get Gobert, Pelinka will counter the move and be pro-active.

The Celtics have assets, the Lakers gave theirs up for AD.

And it paid off.

I'd rather have assets than championships but that's just me.

Candidate for worse post of the year!!!!!

Wow, no kidding. Huh? That is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site in 19 years.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Celtics are trying to prevent us from passing them next year in championships, I’m sure if the Celtics get Gobert, Pelinka will counter the move and be pro-active.

pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

As close as he is to AD and Cousins I'd say between slim and none. He also seems to be in LeBron's circle of trust now and has no ties that I know of with anyone on the clippers.

You know the Clips are serious about this if they sign DMC. That said, I’ve read somewhere (here?) that Rondo was close to Lue? No clue how. I’m just hoping Rondo really does appreciate Vogel’s trust in him more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
manlisten wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

And it paid off.

Wow, no kidding. Huh? That is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site in 19 years.

Fairly sure he was being sarcastic and low key making fun of VLF.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
manlisten wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

You know the Clips are serious about this if they sign DMC. That said, I’ve read somewhere (here?) that Rondo was close to Lue? No clue how. I’m just hoping Rondo really does appreciate Vogel’s trust in him more.

Like you said the biggest factor in Rondo choosing between Clippers and Lakers will be trust the only way I see him being enticed by the Clippers is if they throw some crazy money at him which the Clippers might do because they hate the Lakers.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
manlisten wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

And it paid off.

This guy gets it.
PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
manlisten wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

And it paid off.

This guy gets it.
what idiot said that he rather have assets than championship?
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

And it paid off.

like mozgov and deng assets !
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject:

We talkin bout "ASSETS"?

vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:
Brian windhorst : “There’s a deal out there for them for another guard. That would be interesting. I’ll see if they actually go forward with it. It’s a guard on the last year of his contract who was great last year for his team and that team may be looking to move him. That would be interesting.

Sure sounds like DRose to me and I’d be down for it.

Sup Vash- Just depends what we'd have to give up but IMO there is a chance Clarkson only gets MLE and if that's the case, that might be another path to get an attacking guard while also keep our few trade assets available for another player.

I like the idea of Schroder too. Defense is wack but kid has heart and can really get going.

Im right there with ya bro in that I like the aspect of another scoring threat....but I really want another playmaker here to alleviate Bron’s dominance in that role. We gotta squeeze as much as we can out of LBJ and that means we gotta protect dude.

I like JC and Schroe, but if I had to choose, it would be latter cause dude’s role is PG. Basketball-reference has dude at that position 100% of the time compared to JC only playing the PG role at only 7% last year. As for DRose, he was a PG 98% of the time last year.

Just please bring in a playmaker so that we can prolong our Bron investment.

Btw: if it’s choosing between us and the clips for Rondo then we have the advantage in paying him more using his Early Bird rights (ie our 11m vs their ntpMLE of 9.3m). The rub here is, if we use Early Bird to outbid the clips, then it has to be a minimum 2yr deal and if we’re seriously aiming for max cap relief in the summer of ‘21 then we would have to renounce Rondo’s early bird rights and sign him to 120% of the vet min in order to give him a 1yr deal. Of course we can offer the BAE or divvy up the MLE, but at the risk of being hardcapped (except if we use the tpMLE). Also any 1yr deals to any of our free agents this summer places a de facto no-trade clause into their deals.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4902, 4903, 4904 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4903 of 8560
Jump to: