Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Hellz yeah. I'm glad you did it right away. I was afraid that someone else was going to start the thread but this job is now yours forever bud.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject:

ALL DAY!

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Ha ha. Nice.

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Hellz yeah. I'm glad you did it right away. I was afraid that someone else was going to start the thread but this job is now yours forever bud.

1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Game 4 1996 World Series was the hallmark moment that forever changed the trajectories for the 2 teams. The favorite, the defending champions and the more talented team had the chance to take a 3-1 lead and grab a stranglehold in their quest for back to back titles. They would however blow a 6-0 lead heading into the 6th. The underdog Yankees would win that game and that series and begin their dynasty of 5 titles whereas the team with infinite title possibilities at that moment of Game 4 with hall of fame pitching and the great hitting lineup, would never reach those heights again and never would again even win a World Series game.

I feel we are the Yankees, about to embark on multiple titles now that the monkey is off our back. The ultra talented team with infinite possibilities whose World Series loss forever changed their trajectory from dynasty to 1 off champions similar to the Braves? ASTROS

Last edited by 1995Lakers on Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject:

This is from page 292 in the 2020 Dodger thread.

FernieBee wrote:
I Love L.A.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Game 4 1996 World Series was the hallmark moment that forever changed the trajectories for the 2 teams. The favorite, the defending champions and the more talented team had the chance to take a 3-1 lead and grab a stranglehold in their quest for back to back titles. They would however blow a 6-0 lead heading into the 6th. The underdog Yankees would win that game and that series and begin their dynasty of 5 titles whereas the team with infinite title possibilities at that moment of Game 4 with hall of fame pitching and the great hitting lineup, would never reach those heights again and never would again even win a World Series game.

I feel we are the Yankees, about to embark on multiple titles now that the monkey is off our back. The ultra talented team with infinite possibilities whose World Series loss forever changed their trajectory from dynasty to 1 off champions similar to the Braves? ASTROS

TELL ME MOAR!!!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject:

David Price next year, Andrew Friedman's creativity with offseason moves...no reason we shouldn't be a juggernaut next year again! Not saying we'll win another championship, but we should be a tough out for a long time.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
David Price next year, Andrew Friedman's creativity with offseason moves...no reason we shouldn't be a juggernaut next year again! Not saying we'll win another championship, but we should be a tough out for a long time.

I wonder if they trade Price.

For sure, the rotation will be:

1) Buehler
2) Kershaw
3) Urias

Then we have Price, May, Gonsolin. That’s 6. Of course, we always need depth. If Price is on the team, he’s guaranteed a spot. That means either May or Gonsolin gets the Stripling role. Wonder which one they’ll choose.

Also, Gray might be ready next year as well.

Wonder if we bring back Wood for cheap again?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

that Yankee team had a group of young nucleus which grown into stars. Jeter, Bernie Williams, Posada, Pettite, Rivera, just to name a few. those young players were the team leaders. our leaders are Kerahaw and JT who're closing in on retirement. Our team outside of Buhler I really don't see any other consistent star, yet. Belly was a huge disappointment this year, I'm glad we won despite his struggles.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

that Yankee team had a group of young nucleus which grown into stars. Jeter, Bernie Williams, Posada, Pettite, Rivera, just to name a few. those young players were the team leaders. our leaders are Kerahaw and JT who're closing in on retirement. Our team outside of Buhler I really don't see any other consistent star, yet. Belly was a huge disappointment this year, I'm glad we won despite his struggles.

Mookie Betts is only 28. He,s definitely a consistent star and has many good years left. Corey Seager is only 26 and has had a couple of amazing season, separated by a bad injury that he seems to be over. For me the big question mark is Cody Bellinger. I hope he can return to 2019 form. Urias also looks amazing for his age.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Mookie Betts is only 28. He,s definitely a consistent star and has many good years left. Corey Seager is only 26 and has had a couple of amazing season, separated by a bad injury that he seems to be over. For me the big question mark is Cody Bellinger. I hope he can return to 2019 form. Urias also looks amazing for his age.

We have such a good farm system that keeps churning out great young talent.....Im not even worried about that and clutch pitchers Buehler and Urias. Our Derek Jeter is Mookie Betts - that driving force and decisive talent who is also a leader that the team stands behind. Objectively a better player than Jeter too. Offensively its close but defensively, Jeter was never a great defender even at his best. Betts is one of the best right fielders ever
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:

Can’t keep them all.

Gonna be sad to see some faces leave now.

Turner - $20M
Treinen - $10M
Pederson - $8M
Kike - $6M
Wood - $4M
Baez - $4M

That’s alot of money coming off the books. Around $52M (pre covid).
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
markjay wrote:

Can’t keep them all.

Turner - $20M
Treinen - $10M
Pederson - $8M
Kike - $6M
Wood - $4M
Baez - $4M

Have to keep Turner, Treinen, Wood and Baez considering cost and productivity
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
markjay wrote:

Can’t keep them all.

Turner - $20M
Treinen - $10M
Pederson - $8M
Kike - $6M
Wood - $4M
Baez - $4M

Have to keep Turner, Treinen, Wood and Baez considering cost and productivity

It takes 2 to tango. All of these guys are looking for multi year deals at market value. Dodgers might want to keep them but maybe not for the years or dollars that they are looking for.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject:

Team is off to a better start this century than in the last. The Dodgers didn’t win in the last century until 1955. It took 7 straight World Series losses before winning the first one.

Unless you want to count the team in 1900 that won the pennant at a time when that was the ultimate goal (there was no World Series yet).

I don’t know how Brooklyn Dodger fans could stand that. These last 32 years were tough enough.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

It’s interesting to make these comparisons. The Braves were even more loaded the next 3 years in my opinion, with 3 straight seasons of over 100 wins. But they would underperform whenever they played an elite opponent, with the exception of the 1999 Mets, but the Braves owned that team consistently back then so they must have entered that series with more confidence.

The 1998 Braves were REALLY loaded and it’s almost inexcusable that they fell behind 3-0 to San Diego, and they played a horrible game 6 to get eliminated. It was a really pathetic series for 106 win team. They had a chance to redeem themselves in the 1999 series against the Yankees and got swept. Those guys never played their best baseball when it really mattered after 1996.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

The Brooklyn Dodgers fans were widely acknowledged as being the best in baseball. They were frequently cellar-dwellers, but in the late 40s and early to mid 50s they had contending teams that were famous for falling short. "Just wait until next year!" was the rallying cry, and they were affectionately referred to as bums. The Brooklyn fans loved them with an incredible intensity.

After O'Malley moved the team to Los Angeles, two prominent New York journalists were asked to name the three most evil people in the 20th century. Independently, they both settled on the same three names: Hitler, Stalin and O'Malley.

I had a consulting engagement in Brooklyn years ago, it was the technology headquarters of the Chase Manhattan Bank. There was a long corridor that was dedicated to the Brooklyn Dodgers, with framed newspapers, newspaper clippings, antiquated baseball souvenirs, you name it. Another time I was meeting with a NASDAQ market maker in Manhattan, and proudly displayed in his office was an individually signed team photo of the World Champion 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers. Every signature too; he even had the signatures of a couple of then-obscure pitchers on that team, the seldom-used rookie named Sandy Koufax and the marginally-talented Tommy Lasorda.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

It’s interesting to make these comparisons. The Braves were even more loaded the next 3 years in my opinion, with 3 straight seasons of over 100 wins. But they would underperform whenever they played an elite opponent, with the exception of the 1999 Mets, but the Braves owned that team consistently back then so they must have entered that series with more confidence.

The 1998 Braves were REALLY loaded and it’s almost inexcusable that they fell behind 3-0 to San Diego, and they played a horrible game 6 to get eliminated. It was a really pathetic series for 106 win team. They had a chance to redeem themselves in the 1999 series against the Yankees and got swept. Those guys never played their best baseball when it really mattered after 1996.

Kevin Brown with his annual domination of his hometown Braves was definitely my favorite pitcher at the time and was considered the best pitcher in baseball at the time we signed him with one of the best hard sinking fastballs ever at 95-97 mph with tremendous sink that felt like trying to hit a bowling ball. Outdueling Randy Johnson in the NLDS set the tone and was beating the Yankees in Game 1 when he got pulled.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

I remember Brown had the flu in game 1 against the Yankees so he wasn’t at his best. I was so excited when Brown became a Dodger after watching him in the 1998 playoffs. I didn’t realize I would have to wait 18 years to see the team in the World Series. I had such high hopes for the team in 1999. Funny thinking back on that because comparing that team to the 2020 team is a joke.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The Brooklyn Dodgers fans were widely acknowledged as being the best in baseball. They were frequently cellar-dwellers, but in the late 40s and early to mid 50s they had contending teams that were famous for falling short. "Just wait until next year!" was the rallying cry, and they were affectionately referred to as bums. The Brooklyn fans loved them with an incredible intensity.

After O'Malley moved the team to Los Angeles, two prominent New York journalists were asked to name the three most evil people in the 20th century. Independently, they both settled on the same three names: Hitler, Stalin and O'Malley.

I had a consulting engagement in Brooklyn years ago, it was the technology headquarters of the Chase Manhattan Bank. There was a long corridor that was dedicated to the Brooklyn Dodgers, with framed newspapers, newspaper clippings, antiquated baseball souvenirs, you name it. Another time I was meeting with a NASDAQ market maker in Manhattan, and proudly displayed in his office was an individually signed team photo of the World Champion 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers. Every signature too; he even had the signatures of a couple of then-obscure pitchers on that team, the seldom-used rookie named Sandy Koufax and the marginally-talented Tommy Lasorda.

Starting pitching and Left Field was always the sore spot of the Boys of Summer. Had the Dodgers been given a 2nd chance they would not have missed when they had the clear opportunities to sign the boy "who couldnt hit a curveball" named Willie Mays and wasnt willing to give a major league contract to some small skinny kid from Southern California who would go on to become the best/scariest pitcher in the game named Ewell Blackwell.

10 year period from 1947 to 1956, 6 World Series appearances and absolutely choked their way out of making 2 others on the last day of the season in 1950 and 1951 so they could have made 8 World Series in 10 years. 1 freaking title to show for it. The Boys of Summer definitely are the most underachieving team of all time and it took a noted Yankee killer Johnny Podres to even pull that off in 55.

Its teams like the Boys of Summer that make me think despite the fact we only have 7 titles, we should have won a lot more with the 24 pennants we have and the legends that have played for this franchise. In terms of player quality throughout the years only the Yankees are clearly better and we are close with the Giants and we are better than the Cardinals
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

In a way we have to thank Puig for this title, because the Puig scouting trip is when Urias and Gonzalez were also discovered by the team.
I guess you could say that the real treasure [in signing Puig] was the friends we made along the way lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 1 of 395
Jump to: