Xmas start ( Draft 11/18, Free Agency 11/20, Camp 12/1, Games 12/22, GSW testing for fans )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Found a decent site explaining why the NBA season needs to be at least 70 games:

The NBA has a deal with local stations that air teams' games, which requires the league to deliver at least 70 games. If the NBA fails to deliver, it would have to refund money to the regional sports networks. It's a fact that teams are well-aware of as they discuss playing more games.

URL too long needed to use URL shorterner - shorturl.at/cqsB7
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Sooner the better. I'm taking 3 months off work and I need something to watch

drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Looks like we're going to have a 50 game season
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

The players will be playing for free next season. They are already talking about withholding 40% for the escrow account. If they lose out on TV money and have no fans, the players won’t get any of that money back.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:

The players will be playing for free next season. They are already talking about withholding 40% for the escrow account. If they lose out on TV money and have no fans, the players won’t get any of that money back.

There are some things more important than money, player welfare is one of them. No need to put players in danger with a non-existent turn around, camp, and pre season, not to mention potential back to back to backs just to chase the all mighty dollar.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I want to see basketball start as quickly as the next guy, but that would be one quick ass turnaround for our team. Usually, if a team is in the finals, they can count on camp starting 3 months later, with the season debut starting 4 months later.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Players seem to be overwhelmingly in support for MLK day. That's not to say that they will start then but it almost certainly rules out a Dec 22 date, the two sides are too far apart. So there may be a compromise but we very likely aren't getting that 72 game Dec 22 season
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

There very well could be a compromise at 60-62 games. I haven’t heard that they extended the CBA opt out date again.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Players seem to be overwhelmingly in support for MLK day. That's not to say that they will start then but it almost certainly rules out a Dec 22 date, the two sides are too far apart. So there may be a compromise but we very likely aren't getting that 72 game Dec 22 season

That's not exactly the dynamic here. The owners' response would probably be along these lines: "Okay, we can do MLK day, but you'll have to agree to increase the amount of the escrow to 40%. Otherwise, we'll see you in training camp on December 1." It may not go down exactly that way, but that's what it comes down to.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject:

With no fans they are estimating losses up to $1 billion between a December and January start. Will the players be willing to foot that bill?
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject:

It's really only a quick turnaround for 2, maybe 4 teams. Can't imagine everyone else being willing to give up 40% of their salary because of that.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1322579124146372612?s=21

drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
It's really only a quick turnaround for 2, maybe 4 teams. Can't imagine everyone else being willing to give up 40% of their salary because of that.

It may only seem that way but considering the reports that players are overwhelmingly in favor of the MLK date, there might be other factors in play other than the quick turn around.

Kevin Durant for example is coming off a terrible achilles injury. Not only would he want as much time as possible to heal that injury, he would need a good amount of time to get back into shape considering he wouldn't have been able to exercise on it for a long time. And really just get those practices in. This means that Brooklyn might be with the teams wanting a January start date.

Klay Thompson, ACL injury, formerly known as the career killer. He would definitely like a huge amount of rest, recovery, then need a long time to get back into basketball shape. So don't be surprised if GSW wants a January date also.

Heat and Nuggets were banged up. Giannis was banged up, Porzingis needed surgery.

I think there's more influential teams who want the extended time than people think
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
With no fans they are estimating losses up to $1 billion between a December and January start. Will the players be willing to foot that bill?

I don't think any sport can survive past 1 year without fans. NBA must be making contingency for limited attendance, even if that means mostly opening the corporate box seats so they don't lose that massive revenue stream.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Then you have the teams who want to revamp their roster a little. After the revamp you want a little bit of time to really integrate players into the system which means a longer time between acquisition and the start of the season.

These teams include:

the Clippers - New coach, wants new PG, Montrez looks gone.

Houston - New coach, new GM, basically new system.

Sixers - New Coach, new GM, new system.

... Pelicans - new coach, more time pleading with Zion to lose weight

It wouldn't surprise me if these teams want the January date because they're not just running back the same team with the same coach
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:

I read an article where Steph can lose $17 mil. Lebron could lose $15.6 mil. 40% is a big number. Plus Lebron still has to pay for last season’s escrow account.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I read an article where Steph can lose $17 mil. Lebron could lose $15.6 mil. 40% is a big number. Plus Lebron still has to pay for last season’s escrow account.

The amount that the players lose is dependent on where the NBA sets the 2020-21 salary cap. If the cap is set at $110 million or so (the same as last season) and revenue is down by 40% then players lose 40% of salaries (or there abouts); the cap in a regular year with the projected revenue being described would be closer to $66 million. On the other hand, if the NBA sets the salary cap at a lower--but still artificially high-- $88 million (or so), the players only lose 25% of their contracted salaries*--but then there is a lot less money available for free agents this off-season. If the cap gets set at the actual $66 million, then contracted players essentially get all of their money*--but there is very little money available for free agents. So, players with contracts get hurt by an artificially high cap while free agents get hurt if the cap is set lower. So, players cannot be unified on where the cap should be set. Likewise, there are some owners who will benefit by a lower cap since there will be more teams paying luxury taxes--so the owners too cannot be unified. Having two groups which are not internally unified trying to negotiate a future together could lead to a real mess. The underlying story of what is happening right now in the negotiations--that has to include where the salary cap is set--has got to be very interesting.

*Assuming that teams actually did not exceed the salary cap.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Kevin Durant for example is coming off a terrible achilles injury. Not only would he want as much time as possible to heal that injury, he would need a good amount of time to get back into shape considering he wouldn't have been able to exercise on it for a long time. And really just get those practices in. This means that Brooklyn might be with the teams wanting a January start date.

Klay Thompson, ACL injury, formerly known as the career killer. He would definitely like a huge amount of rest, recovery, then need a long time to get back into basketball shape. So don't be surprised if GSW wants a January date also.

I don't know about those examples. But for the pandemic, the season would have started over a week ago. If Durant and Thompson aren't ready to go right now, then they are having problems with their recovery that an extra few weeks may not fix.

Anyway, the NBA runs on money, just like every other sports league. If the players want an extra month of vacation, they'll have to pay for it one way or another. After watching what the Euro football leagues did, I've got limited sympathy for the NBA players.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject:

I think the cap stays at the same number, it will be too messy to drop it 40%, that’s where the escrow comes in. All the contracts signed this coming FA period (and all existing contract numbers) are understood by the players to be inflated numbers with 40% going to escrow. Then depending on the league revenues, they will get back whatever percentage makes the split 49/51. It seems like it would be unfair to lower the cap to fix the BRI split rather than to adjust the escrow to fix the BRI split.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject:

Wish i could load manage a few months at my job

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I think the cap stays at the same number, it will be too messy to drop it 40%, that’s where the escrow comes in. All the contracts signed this coming FA period (and all existing contract numbers) are understood by the players to be inflated numbers with 40% going to escrow. Then depending on the league revenues, they will get back whatever percentage makes the split 49/51. It seems like it would be unfair to lower the cap to fix the BRI split rather than to adjust the escrow to fix the BRI split.

The primary concern seems to be the salary cap shock that would come from cutting the cap to $90M (that's a number that gets kicked around in the media, though the real number might be lower) and then having it bounce back to, say, $120M. In any event, while I usually sympathize with the players in labor disputes (as those of you who are veterans of the Big Lockout Thread a few years back will recall), right now I have a lot of sympathy for the owners. They've gone to considerable lengths to keep the league going, from investing a lot of money on the bubble to letting the games in the bubble become a social justice platform. If I was an owner, I'd be pretty frustrated with players who want an extended vacation while the league is bleeding money.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject:

Why are we talking like it's a big deal these billionaires and millionaires are losing money? If they lose millions of dollars they still have billions and millions more in their bank account. Relax. The NBA will be just fine even if they don't play a single game next season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Why are we talking like it's a big deal these billionaires and millionaires are losing money? If they lose millions of dollars they still have billions and millions more in their bank account. Relax. The NBA will be just fine even if they don't play a single game next season.

I doubt anyone cares if players or owners are losing money. However, fans do care that that that may affect where players decide to go, who is on the team's roster, and the season schedule
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I doubt anyone cares if players or owners are losing money. However, fans do care that that that may affect where players decide to go, who is on the team's roster, and the season schedule

Actually, the one group of individuals that I care about in this situation are the marginal players--the group of players that are in the league only a year or two. When their paychecks get cut, it does make a lifetime of difference. The CP3's, LBJ's, Kawhi's and even the Rondo's should be fine.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

And if teams can survive. How many years can the spoiled Buss kids continue to lose millions?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: