LeBron's Influence on the Lakers - Could that Mean CP3?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: LeBron's Influence on the Lakers - Could that Mean CP3?

Hey all,

I wrote about LeBron's influence on the Lakers and where he might want to lead the team - it's complex and while at first I thought it was crazy, I understand the notion after running through it to a logical conclusion.

Again, just a theory re: CP3
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2913545-nba-execs-see-lebrons-influence-over-lakers-leading-to-a-chris-paul-

EP
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject:

What % do you give on CP3 becoming a Laker?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject:

There's no meaningful number to represent something like that.

It's a possible path - lots of possible paths
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Emplay
rmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
There's no meaningful number to represent something like that.

It's a possible path - lots of possible paths
Doctor Strange could come up with a number.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Chris Paul is a washed up and injury prone 35-year-old who grates on his teammates and has never made it to the Conference Finals.

The Lakers can do better.
Wolfer9
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject:

Scherm wrote:
Chris Paul is a washed up and injury prone 35-year-old who grates on his teammates and has never made it to the Conference Finals.

I second this ...
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject:

If he comes for the vet minimum - maybe...
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject:

Scherm wrote:

Yes, Chris Paul was a great player and still is a great player.
But at 40M for 3 years it would be a huge mistake.

Even AD was a gamble that paid of with a championship. And AD still has
his best years remaining.
A huge difference.

The best bet for the Lakers is keep Rondo if 4M for a year. But expect a decline in defense. He is no spring chicken.
Finding a consistent. third option is the key.
There is Danilo, Harris, or Grant that are FAs.
They are where the Lakers should spend resources if any.
But keep Caruso, Howard, Morris for sure.
Would bring in Magic as a consultant. He helped bring. in
Lebron and AD.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject:

Pass, unless it's a buyout, where he renounce his last year only for the Lakers( which could reward him later).

I'd sign Carmelo for the minimum and Gallinari and Ibaka for MLE and BAE, if they want a ring; then I'l try to trade for a 2way guard.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject:

When I crunch the numbers - the Lakers spend about $25 mil more next season if they get Chris Paul.

Does that matter to any of you? You pay it, lol?

Look at it this way - if the team spends $150-175 mil including tax for a roster, why does it matter who gets what of that?

And if they can field a team that can win a title - why would you care about the details like who gets what?

You may not like Chris because of his age or injury history - I'd counter that LeBron probably isn't worried about Chris' age or injury history and he's the one influencing the decision.

I can also counter that Chris not carrying the load, playing the lowest minutes of his career on a Laker team where he's basically tossing lobs all day to AD and LeBron would lengthen his career.

Chris changed his diet (meatless) and his training and last year he was brilliant on a crap team. If you're worried about Chris lasting beyond the next two years, you're not focused on what the Lakers are focused on. And in 2 years, Lakers probably have entirely clean books with AD, LBJ and CP3 expiring together before the 2022-23 season.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject:

LA may go in a different direction obviously - keep the core together - supplement it. But I also think CP3 is a real consideration if the Thunder are open to moving him.

Also - some Lakers mention in my Celtics story today:

Latest @BleacherReport How the Boston Celtics Can Become a Real Rival for LeBron James' LA Lakers -- The Celtics have some interesting questions to answer this offseason, especially surrounding the future of Gordon Hayward https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2912360-how-the-boston-celtics-can-become-a-real-rival-for-lebron-james-la-lakers
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject:

The current team just won the chip. Sign our FA's and try to add some good complementary pieces. Upgrade where possible but I just don't think blowing it up for Chris Paul is a necessary or wise idea.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn’t this cost them a shot at Giannis?
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Wouldn’t this cost them a shot at Giannis?

Yes. But a healthy Chris Paul makes Lakers prohibitive favorites to win the title next year.

Conventional wisdom is that Giannis isn’t coming here. More likely he goes to Miami or Dallas if he even leaves or he stays with Bucks on supermax.

If we win 2 chips we will be looking at 2022 with clear books. Maybe AD will be on contract but Bron and CP3 will be off. We have a max slot to attract Bradley Beal and Lebron and CP3 can sign for less money in lesser roles. Both will be 38.

Prime AD and Bradley Beal with twilight Lebron with or without CP3 still beats any team in the league. Don’t care if Giannis pairs up with Jimmy and Bam or Luka and Prozingis.

So it’s not crazy plan. Chris Paul just has to stay healthy.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
When I crunch the numbers - the Lakers spend about $25 mil more next season if they get Chris Paul.

Does that matter to any of you? You pay it, lol?

Look at it this way - if the team spends $150-175 mil including tax for a roster, why does it matter who gets what of that?

And if they can field a team that can win a title - why would you care about the details like who gets what?

You may not like Chris because of his age or injury history - I'd counter that LeBron probably isn't worried about Chris' age or injury history and he's the one influencing the decision.

I can also counter that Chris not carrying the load, playing the lowest minutes of his career on a Laker team where he's basically tossing lobs all day to AD and LeBron would lengthen his career.

Chris changed his diet (meatless) and his training and last year he was brilliant on a crap team. If you're worried about Chris lasting beyond the next two years, you're not focused on what the Lakers are focused on. And in 2 years, Lakers probably have entirely clean books with AD, LBJ and CP3 expiring together before the 2022-23 season.

This.

If OKC is willing to do it I think you have to pull the trigger. I think the core of Lebron and AD and Vogel is good enough to repeat no matter what as they tinker with the supporting roster. Remember we got majorly screwed by Kawhi the Lie and had to throw this roster together literally overnight. It was a dumpster fire. And at least on paper no one believed that Rondo and Dwight would be as big as they turned out to be. And Vogel was a huge question as well. As it turned out AD and Lebron were sensational and every other draw came up aces for us. With more time to prepare I think we can definitely put together a better and more consistent roster with more ring chasers.

That being said the Warriors will be a serious threat in the West and the Clippers and Nuggets aren’t going anywhere. In the East Boston, Miami, Bucks, and Toronto will be joined by Brooklyn. It won’t be a cakewalk.

If Chris Paul is healthy all that washes away and we become prohibitive favorites to win the title regardless of what the other teams do. There just isn’t enough to stop what Chris Paul can do with Lebron and AD. He is a basketball savant with a 3 point shot and will drop 15 dimes a game with his eyes closed. He will also have a lot more energy to get back to his previous perennial First Team All Defense form.

People think Chris Paul is an injury prone washed up 35 yr old point guard but neglect the fact that he put up an All NBA 2nd team selection last year and took a lottery team to the playoffs and a game 7 with a Houston Rockets team with 2 MVPs in their prime that was supposed to give the Lakers problems.

Bottom line if OKC is willing to trade him to us for emplay’s potential package I don’t see how we can pass.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject:

I'm sticking with Seth. If you're going to spend $25 million, spend it on youth. I don't think Cuban would go for it but if we're wishing, that's my wish. Give Quinn Cook some real burn, see what he can do if given some PT. Rondo's can teach him the game.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject:

how did Lebron's influence work for getting his bff Melo on the team?

Lebron cares more about winning chips then influence signings
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject:

So all the speculation centers around:
If Chris Paul is healthy?
When has that ever happened?
Just because he switches from hamburgers to wheatgrass?

I'd still pass and go for a big 2-way guard who wasn't a prick.

But as Emplay points out, it's not my money. The Lakers can do whatever Rob and Rich Paul decide.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Wolfer9 wrote:
Scherm wrote:

I second this ...

I also agree and that's before looking at the $85mil he is owed the next two seasons - MORE than AD & LeBron...!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: