THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2554, 2555, 2556 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Natalie Andrews @nataliewsj

NEW: Sen. Feinstein loses the support of abortion rights group NARAL, says the top Dem on Judiciary "offered an appearance of credibility to the proceedings that is wildly out of step with the American people. As such, we believe the committee needs new leadership."

The freakin' state of California needs a new senator.

Schiff is the one I'm hoping for!

Schiff can fill Kamala's spot once she is VP. We need him there ASAP.

I think Feinstein's term is up in 2024, just about when Katie Porter should be ready for the senate.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Is Christie bitter that Trump infected and neglected him?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Uh, I was texting Texas through tx.textforvictory2020.com and I think I just canvassed Beto.

https://i.imgur.com/6jmlMnT.png

Ha! Nice.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject:

AlBeto V05?

trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
trmiv wrote:
XTC wrote:
Quote:
Kelly O'Donnell
@KellyO
·
1h
Trump in Georgia on risk of losing: "I'm gonna say, I lost to the worst candidate in the history of politicsI'm not gonna feel so good. Maybe I'll have to leave the country. I don't know."

https://mobile.twitter.com/KellyO/status/1317264833771864064

Well, yeah he may try to flee because he’ll probably be facing jailtime.

It’s cute that he thinks he’d be allowed to leave, or that he wouldn’t be extradited. First there’s no way US Intelligence and the Secret Service is letting a former president flee the country and risk him being picked up by a hostile nation and interrogated. Second if he somehow did leave, I don’t think there’s a country outside of maybe North Korea that wouldn’t extradite him when he’s facing charges here.

He can easily leave between November 3 and January 20 under the pretense of signing some agreement or whatever. No one would stop him.

Russia would not extradite him.

I think he may try, but it won’t happen. Despite what he thinks US Intelligence isn’t stupid, and they would know exactly what he would be up to. Especially after he literally said the quiet part out loud. I don’t there’s a chance of him being allowed to to be possibly interrogated by an enemy nation.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Intelligence has known this for four years.

If the President of the United States wants to leave the country while in office, intelligence can't stop him. Under what authority would they stop him?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Trump can leave the country for all I care. I'd love to see his empire crumble as he simmers in some former Soviet satellite.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Uh, I was texting Texas through tx.textforvictory2020.com and I think I just canvassed Beto.

https://i.imgur.com/6jmlMnT.png

Well that’s (bleep) cool.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

If the President of the United States wants to leave the country while in office, intelligence can't stop him. Under what authority would they stop him?

Like he’s going to walk off a plane by himself? It’s not like he’s going to just hop on a commercial flight or charter a private plane and then disappear. If he ordered Air Force One to take him somewhere he’s going with a full secret service detail. Even if he did leave he would followed by secret service and the CIA. Once he ceases being the president on Inauguration Day, they could pick him up immediately. I just don’t see a US President being allowed to just flee to a foreign country.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Interesting. You’ve been the saying that the military etc. would be the ones to stop Trump from effectively stealing the election. But now you say they’d have no authority to stop him leaving the country as a lame duck president?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Like he’s going to walk off a plane by himself? It’s not like he’s going to just hop on a commercial flight or charter a private plane and then disappear. If he ordered Air Force One to take him somewhere he’s going with a full secret service detail. Even if he did leave he would followed by secret service and the CIA. Once he ceases being the president on Inauguration Day, they could pick him up immediately. I just don’t see a US President being allowed to just flee to a foreign country.

Yes, but not from Russia. I don't think we even have an extradition treaty with them.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Interesting. You’ve been the saying that the military etc. would be the ones to stop Trump from effectively stealing the election. But now you say they’d have no authority to stop him leaving the country as a lame duck president?

Leaving the country as president, even under false pretenses, is different than stealing an election and a coup.

I certainly hope the military would somehow prevent him from stealing it (not sure what mechanism that would entail, but even some Republicans like Sasse are starting to distance themselves from him in case he loses), but I'm quite sure the tens of millions of people will ultimately prevent it. Those that have waited 11 hours to vote won't let him. And those of us who had a far easier time voting (in my case, I literally drove to a library and dropped off my ballot without even leaving my car) would also prevent it.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject:

phayze one wrote:
I was sadly ignorant about how much of my fellow Filipinos are pro-Trump. My dad has fully bought into it, some aunts/uncles in the bay area, and a couple cousins here in LA have as well. Luckily my mom hasn't nor have my siblings. I have seen some of my high school friends (Filipinos) share posts from Trump surrogates, though it's hard to say if they're all in or they just don't know any better.

Can confirm. My mom's side of our family is ultra-catholic conservative. They don't buy into the more toxic aspects of conservative politics, but they like tough on crime, they like Reaganomics, they like bootstrap culture, they dismiss any social critique post-1960. They fancy themselves the higher class of Filipinos because they're college educated and are more Spanish than indigenous. They don't care so much who the candidate is or to hear about his faults...they'll always roll R for the reasons stated above.

More niche minority support for Trump that I've observed from within my social circles:

The majority of Indian-Americans vote blue, and those who don't gravitated to Trump because they perceive him as friendly to their ethno-nationalist anti-Muslim fight in the motherland. That, plus anti-black racism, a common thread for mercantile Asian immigrants. They also hate taxes. Here's a TV spot on Indian channels made by a Florida business owner

Coptic Christian Arabs, specifically Egyptians, see themselves as a persecuted group, and their religious leaders lament genocide in Egypt at the hands of its Islamic majority. They hold Obama/Hillary responsible for the Arab Spring. There is misogyny and homophobia that pervades this community and doesn't get talked about. They consider themselves Caucasian and also see post-1960 critical theory as a threat to traditional Christian family values.

here's a video of a Vietnamese Americans rally for Trump that just happened in San Diego

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=253882559391884

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM

Last edited by C M B on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
They fancy themselves the higher class of Filipinos because they're...more Spanish than indigenous.

Somebody told me that's called The Colonial Mentality.

There's nothing wrong with being white/Spanish, unless of course, you really are not...and pretend to be.

==

EDIT = and pretend to be

Last edited by FernieBee on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Fascinating read from the Atlantic on Biden:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/10/biden-wants-transform-america-really/616748/
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
phayze one wrote:
I was sadly ignorant about how much of my fellow Filipinos are pro-Trump. My dad has fully bought into it, some aunts/uncles in the bay area, and a couple cousins here in LA have as well. Luckily my mom hasn't nor have my siblings. I have seen some of my high school friends (Filipinos) share posts from Trump surrogates, though it's hard to say if they're all in or they just don't know any better.

Can confirm. My mom's side of our family is ultra-catholic conservative. They don't buy into the more toxic aspects of conservative politics, but they like tough on crime, they like Reaganomics, they like bootstrap culture, they dismiss any social critique post-1960. They fancy themselves the higher class of Filipinos because they're college educated and are more Spanish than indigenous. They don't care so much who the candidate is or to hear about his faults...they'll always roll R for the reasons stated above.

More niche minority support for Trump that I've observed from within my social circles:

The majority of Indian-Americans vote blue, and those who don't gravitated to Trump because they perceive him as friendly to their ethno-nationalist anti-Muslim fight in the motherland. That, plus anti-black racism, a common thread for mercantile Asian immigrants. They also hate taxes. Here's a TV spot on Indian channels made by a Florida business owner

Coptic Christian Arabs, specifically Egyptians, see themselves as a persecuted group, and their religious leaders lament genocide in Egypt at the hands of its Islamic majority. They hold Obama/Hillary responsible for the Arab Spring. There is misogyny and homophobia that pervades this community and doesn't get talked about. They consider themselves Caucasian and also see post-1960 critical theory as a threat to traditional Christian family values.

here's a video of a Vietnamese Americans rally for Trump that just happened in San Diego

The common thread? Religion.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
C M B wrote:
phayze one wrote:

The common thread? Religion.

Being religious is already halfway to being susceptible to being conned, by anything or anyone.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject:

Nice, but it's time for these Republicans to put their name on it.

43 Alumni for Biden - "Team 46"
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Glenn Kirschner @glennkirschner2

Not until he’s been charged, Bob. But once Trump is charged, a judge CAN order him to surrender his passport, restrict his travel or . . . order him into pretrial detention if a judge concludes by clear and convincing evidence that he’s a flight risk.

Quote:
Bob Skylstad @BobSkylstad

Can the NY State AG order the President not to flee the Country when he loses the election since there are active investigations into criminal behavior?

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

Amy Coney Barrett. Like I said, she's trash:

Quote:
kim Face [AT] 4_the_babies

"After a 19-year old pregnant prison inmate was repeatedly raped by a prison guard, Amy Coney Barrett ruled that the county responsible for the prison could not be held liable because the sexual assaults fell outside of the guard's official duties.”

link to story
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Amy Coney Barrett. Like I said, she's trash:

Quote:
kim Face -at- 4_the_babies

"After a 19-year old pregnant prison inmate was repeatedly raped by a prison guard, Amy Coney Barrett ruled that the county responsible for the prison could not be held liable because the sexual assaults fell outside of the guard's official duties.”

link to story

That's pretty bad, and a unanimous 3 judge panel decision.

I couldnt find a quick link to the actual decision. That decision may depend on a few things, including whether the attorney proceeded with the correct theory.

One article said they were provided training materials by the Prison (suggesting the prison was "reasonable"). But thats not the end of the inquiry in my mind.

Of note, another site says in a separate case that:
Quote:
In a similar case this year, however, Barrett joined a majority of the full Seventh Circuit Court to find that Wisconsin's Polk County was liable in a case where a jail guard sexually assaulted five women hundreds of times.

https://www.salon.com/2020/10/16/watchdog-group-accuses-amy-coney-barrett-of-unconscionable-cruelty-in-teen-rape-case/

I'd be curious as to what factual differences, if any, made Barrett choose one decision over the other or whether the victim's attorney just messed up in how they presented the case, or some other issue altogether.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject:

I found the decision:

https://www.leagle.com/decision/infco20180914205

[Martin v. Milwaukee County, 904 F.3d 544 (2018)]

Some of the things that jumped out to me:

1. "Her only surviving claims against County at trial were her claim for indemnification under § 895.46" [possibly suggesting there were other claims her attorney could have successfully brought but for some reason did not]
2. " Martin did not introduce any evidence from which a reasonable jury could conclude the sexual assaults were of the same or similar kind of conduct as that which County employed Thicklen to perform." [suggesting perhaps the Plaintiff attorney could have done a better job in producing more evidence to fit the parameters the court was looking for]
3. Seemed to me a strained decision, they kept suggesting the acts performed didnt benefit county or were really were in scope of employment, but that missed the mark to me since he was doing this under the cloud of authority provided by the County, inside their building, and was mixed with him doing things that an inmate would believe were serving the County [e.g. taking her to see an attorney, etc.]. It provides no incentive for a county / jail to better ensure these types of things dont occur.

Just my 2 cents.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Basically, she ruled that in the one case the county distributed materials that said you couldn’t have sex with the inmates, and in the other they did not. And since they did in the one case, it wasn’t on them that an individual decided to use his authority and rape a woman multiple times.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Basically, she ruled that in the one case the county distributed materials that said you couldn’t have sex with the inmates, and in the other they did not. And since they did in the one case, it wasn’t on them that an individual decided to use his authority and rape a woman multiple times.

Under California law, that would be per se liability. However, that is because California law protects employees. Thats not the same in every state which, at worse, offers no more protection than Federal law might. In other words, this may be a complaint of how the laws are written more than her specific decision. I'd have to look into it more though to be sure.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject:

It seemed her argument was that if they adopted a minimal amount of training to tell the employees not to rape their charges, then they crossed her bar of doing enough not to be liable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2554, 2555, 2556 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2555 of 3663
Jump to: