Daryl Morey out in Houston as GM

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Daryl Morey out in Houston as GM

Daryl Morey Steps Down as G.M. of the Houston Rockets

Quote:
Daryl Morey, the general manager of the Houston Rockets, is stepping down from his post, according to a person briefed on the decision who was not authorized to discuss it publicly.

The move came after the Rockets were knocked out of the N.B.A. playoffs in the second round and more than a year after Morey shared an image on Twitter in support of pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong. The tweet upended relations between the N.B.A. and the Chinese government. China’s state-run television network did not broadcast any N.B.A. games since then until Game 5 of the N.B.A. finals.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

I hope they don't hire anyone that can actually build a team around Harden..
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
I hope they don't hire anyone that can actually build a team around Harden..

I think Morey's teams are the closest thing to Harden winning the chip. It's not going to get better there imo.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

The beginning of the end once Tillman bought the team.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Wow that’s really surprising /s
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject:

Good riddance to analytics and a geek-oriented approach to basketball.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

Are the Lakers now responsible for ending the Daryl Morey era (at least in Houston)?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Interesting this comes out right after the NBA is allowed to air in China again...

I'm sure this was a stipulation.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

It was (and still is) to the point where people don't even watch the games anymore. Just plug in all of the stats from boxscores to your little formulas, have your little fantasy simulation, and it was already better than watching games.

I am not saying that I;m from the Byron Scott school of thought, I get that it does have value. It was even pretty interesting at first, but its now completely overblown. People got so used to interpreting numbers that they forgot to use their eyes to watch basketball.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

It’s going nowhere, teams will still use analytics to build teams.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject:

The most overrated manager in the history of sports. He was supposed to usher in a new analytic based culture and build winning teams with cheap talent. His approach changed from building with cheap role players to building with overpaid all-stars. No wonder their owner sold the team, he couldn’t afford the overpaid all-stars.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
slavavov wrote:

It was (and still is) to the point where people don't even watch the games anymore. Just plug in all of the stats from boxscores to your little formulas, have your little fantasy simulation, and it was already better than watching games.

I am not saying that I;m from the Byron Scott school of thought, I get that it does have value. It was even pretty interesting at first, but its now completely overblown. People got so used to interpreting numbers that they forgot to use their eyes to watch basketball.

Basketball is not baseball. Analytics is useful under some circumstances but there are too many variables that are not being accurately calculated to have it be the final determinant.

Remember 538 analytics never had the Lakers winning the chip and even when we were up 3-1 still gave us only 65% chance of taking the series. As with any formula garbage in will get you garbage out.

The eye test especially in basketball still has tremendous value depending on whose eyes we are talking about.

Having said all that when your team’s analytics department comes to you and tells you pulling off Montez Harrell swing you from -30 to +10 and you IGNORE that ... the you probably deserve to be fired. 😂😂
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Basketball is not baseball. Analytics is useful under some circumstances but there are too many variables that are not being accurately calculated to have it be the final determinant.

Remember 538 analytics never had the Lakers winning the chip and even when we were up 3-1 still gave us only 65% chance of taking the series. As with any formula garbage in will get you garbage out.

The eye test especially in basketball still has tremendous value depending on whose eyes we are talking about.

Having said all that when your team’s analytics department comes to you and tells you pulling off Montez Harrell swing you from -30 to +10 and you IGNORE that ... the you probably deserve to be fired. 😂😂

Agreed 100%

I still haven’t heard a sufficient explanation as to why 538 Analytics was so wrong on their NBA Playoffs predictions. I’m sure they scrambled to call it an anomaly due to various unforeseen conditions/factors that contributed to it, but who is to say that it won’t happen again? Are their basketball models reliable? I’m sure they are proud of their calculations and stand by their model, but what can be done to better predict something like this in the future?

There’s a place for both watching basketball and analytics. There are serious flaws with relying too heavily on one or the other. Daryl Morey certainly presents an example of one of those extremes.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Analytics is useful for certain things, but there are so many things in basketball that can't accurately be measured by numbers or formulas.

Basketball is the most visceral sport, and things like PER, +/-, BPM and RPM don't accurately tell the whole story, especially when it comes to defense. Plus, obviously, no number or formula can measure a player's intangibles.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Analytics is useful for certain things, but there are so many things in basketball that can't accurately be measured by numbers or formulas.

Basketball is the most visceral sport, and things like PER, +/-, BPM and RPM don't accurately tell the whole story, especially when it comes to defense. Plus, obviously, no number or formula can measure a player's intangibles.

The problem with him wasn't that he used those stats. Stats are good, they give you a lot of information. My main issue with these sort of guys that have never played the game is they don't understand things that go beyond the stats.

Sometimes you got to take certain hits on the stats column, but for a greater purpose. When you have a talent and you build him along, you want him taking mid-range shots and adding that to his arsenal of weapons. What if teams blitz him at the 3 point line and double him in the paint? Now what? I bet you have that mid-range open. Someone like Kobe, MJ, etc. what made them playoff winners vs Harden is that even if you tried to double them there was no part of the court, they couldn't score on. In this era someone like Kobe/MJ would be even harder to defend because they would have more spacing with improved 3 point shooting in the league and they themselves would be given more free reign to shoot from outside. But they would still utilize the post, the mid-range etc.

Even if the 3 point shot is the higher percentage play. Even if a post up, is a lower percentage play. Even if the mid-range shot is a lower percentage play. You want your star players learning ALL those shots, and areas. It makes a player even harder to stop in the playoffs. Think of how Durant in his prime, was unstoppable. Think of AD, how tough he was for teams to stop. Even Bron, he finds so many ways to attack, 3 pointers are a big part of it, but so are the post ups, drives, mid-range. By telling Harden that he should only go for 3s or layups, he pretty much created a RS stat monster, but also a guy that has shown each and every playoffs that he can be contained. Historically guys like Harden should do even better in the playoffs, because they get more minutes and shots. Elite stars tend to do that. He doesn't. The habits they enforced on him early on in his Houston career, and I include MDA in this one, created an unstoppable RS scorer, but one that has shown in the playoffs predictably hits a wall.

Star wings and guards and even bigs, should learn the 3 and layups attack mode. But at the same time, they should be developing go to shots/plays in the mid-range and post ups. This makes them pretty much unstoppable in the playoffs. That's the difference in a winner and a playoff loser, IMO. That's why someone like MDA continues to have 0 rings despite coaching some of the greatest talents in the league.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: